Jimquisition: Everything's Awful, But It's Not That Bad

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

The internet has gobbled up Jim's post count, though I'm sure it will give it back soon.

I'm glad that you've decided to hold off on that episode, the shit storm is still going on now so something important may be out tomorrow or something.

As for this episode, well it's nice to see some positivity, even if just a bit.

Edit: I can only imagine the curiosity of some people who will visit The Escapist in 2015, watch this episode and then go "what's this Zoe Quinn thing about?" I know I've done that with previous shit storms not addressed.

Thanks Jim. I think this was exactly the kind of optimism I needed right now.

You do sound very tired Jim. Hope your alright.

But good episode.

I like this episode. I realize it came from having a bad week and a lot of shit, but I enjoy the "anti-shit storm" things that have been popping up. Even if we are at the 8000th post in the Zoe Quinn shit(and honestly, I think it's mostly just alt accounts in that thread at this point), there are still a fair amount of other people trying to get back to more positive things. Hell, TACO News has just made me laugh the past few days, and even if we lost the thread with the cute animals, we still get some good stuff coming from the controversy by trying to avoid said controversy. It makes me happier to see the anit-shit storm thread and still see the Zoe Quinn thread, than if neither had existed, actually. Maybe I'm just weird like that.

Legend of Grimrock does look pretty cool. Did I spell it right? Meh, find out when I go hunting for where to get a copy.

Thank god for Jim! Look out Ben, he's after your show!

klaynexas3:
I like this episode. I realize it came from having a bad week and a lot of shit, but I enjoy the "anti-shit storm" things that have been popping up. Even if we are at the 8000th post in the Zoe Quinn shit(and honestly, I think it's mostly just alt accounts in that thread at this point), there are still a fair amount of other people trying to get back to more positive things. Hell, TACO News has just made me laugh the past few days, and even if we lost the thread with the cute animals, we still get some good stuff coming from the controversy by trying to avoid said controversy. It makes me happier to see the anit-shit storm thread and still see the Zoe Quinn thread, than if neither had existed, actually. Maybe I'm just weird like that.

I think I've seen some person who has a post count into triple figures and all of their posts are in that one thread. My head hurt after.

At least we have TACO News.

Nice to see a positive episode in these times, though I hope the Fine Young Capitalist's Women in Gaming Kickstarter gets some coverage at some point since I'd be interested to hear your opinion on that part of the affair.

Heh, I never noticed this before but the Link figure on his podium is Skyward Sword link, except he is left handed for some reason.

I hope, when you do actually make a Zoe Quinn episode, you get the priorities on the issue straight.

Remember you episode "Corrupt, Consoring, Suicidal Indie Devs"?

You blame Cobra for their censorship, how much the game community dislikes it, and it simply does not work. You ripped them apart for their small scale censorship, but now when there's much larger issue of censorship and dishonesty going on in both the indie scene and the game journalism industry, you saw it more fit to focus on the "harassment" of the dev and debated that the sex "may not have been used as payment for good coverage". Conflict of interest exists, and having any relationship (whether simply personal or more intimate) contributes to it. There's mounting evidence of Quinn and her associates silencing discussion on forums like NeoGAF and Reddit. The supposed hacking and doxxes of her and Phil Fish are being treated with extreme skepticism. While I know you'd prefer to not jump the gun and make statements about the issue that may or may not be true in the next few days, the issue can't be ignored and it needs coverage and discussion if there's going to be any sort of resolution.

However, this episode was a nice change of pace. Something to brighten up the grimness that surrounds the industry now is always welcome.

Jimmy, isn't it on time you released some of your old episode with updated graphics? Or did I stole your joke for next week? Remastered episode next week, I'm calling it.

Evonisia:
I can only imagine the curiosity of some people who will visit The Escapist in 2015, watch this episode and then go "what's this Zoe Quinn thing about?"

As someone visiting The Escapist in 2014: Zoe Who?

Edit: So, from my very spotty research I got this: Indie developer is in a relationship with game journalist. "The Internet" responds with torches and pitchforks, for this incredible "crime". Am I missing something?
Edit: Apparently she's a terrible human being too. I fail to see how sympathy is relevant one way or another.

Yeah, I don't always agree with Jim, but it's pretty hard to argue with this. Some people are so focused on making it seem like everything's on the brink of disaster. We could all use some positive press, someone who just points out all the awesome stuff that's happened lately.

I agree with your decision to not talk about the zoe quinn stuff, staying neutral is probably the best thing to do at least for now, its fine if other people disagree with that but if you start shouting at Jim you're kind of proving his point.

Hopefully moviebob will be smart enough to also not talk about the controversy during his show tomorrow.

It nice to get a positive jimquistion, and not just because of the Zoe Quinn controversy, it's also good to get a reminder that I really need to play legend of grimlock.

I actually appreciate that you chose to do this. A small glimmer of hope is what we all need while we attempt to wade our way through this steaming hot shitstorm. I'm also happy to hear that you intend to talk in the future about the distance (or lack thereof) between developers and the press. I'm highly impressed that you aren't trying to make this about she who will not be named 2.0.

Excellent work Jim, I look forward to hearing your opinion on the matter sooner or later.

Though if Jim so happens to read and respond to a question of mine, what is your opinion of The Fine Young Capitalists and do you intend to support them in any way? Not implying you should donate, just that it would be nice if a well know figure such as yourself gave them some coverage, since the rest of the press refuses to do so.

All I know about "Zoe Whoever" is that the thread about her is nearing a half a million views and 9K comments--waaaayyyy to heated for me.

Congrats on putting some professional distance between yourself and an ongoing mega-shitstorm, Jim. I respect your intention to revisit it after the balrogs and dragons have finished burning the internet about the matter.

OT: I don't play triple A games--I go for small, simple games. One of my nephews does and so I've seen plenty of them...though I haven't played any (unless Dragon Age: Origins on p.c. is one--I've played that one to death) because I just don't see the appeal of FPS games. Dunno why, I just don't.

P.S. I do hope the Escapist creates a new badge for threads that reach 1 Million views. Whoever created that Zoe Whoever thread should get such a truly rare gem if only because majorly active threads that heavily visited belong more to myth than reality. ^_^

I was just binge-watching older Jimquisitions before getting to this one, and it is sad to see/hear that the same points you've been touching on since 2011 (at the very least!) are still relevant today. Sigh.

EDIT: Oh yeah, put me on the list of people who go "Zoe Quinn? Never heard of her."

I think we broke Jim, he's looks like he's lost sleep, forgot to shave and forgot to shout.
JIM! are you ok? will you tell us that your ok?

OT:
I love Grimrock so much I bought it twice, once through a preorder on Gog and then again on steam and I honestly can't wait to play the sequel.

It's basically the field of dreams message "build it and they will come" the audience for certain "dead" genre's are out there it's just that too few are willing to bet the farm that it will come, but it happens more often than not I remember back when Demons souls came out originally here was a niche title with little to no marketing outside Japan and no one wanted to localise it for western audiences, but the audience was there and when no one would export it for the audience, the audience went out of it's way to get it importing it and in many cases buying it again when it was actually localised.

I'm a little disappointed that you're not talking about the elephant, but I have to agree it's still too early to summarise the issue. Just thought I'd add however that the issue is more on the "journalists'" reaction to the accusations (i.e. harrassment, sexism and censorship) than the nepotism itself.

OT: I totally agree, just buy the games you like and the games industry will change according to where the money goes.

Evonisia:
snip

See, I only showed up on the first day of the thread(and luckily and not notable enough to get quoted too often), so I only went back to prove my hypothesis(that I actually only made as a joke in the first place) about it probably just being alts in the thread. When it turned out to be truer than I thought, I mostly just laughed. I realize for some it's annoying, but to me, I just find the outrage almost comical, especially since I have never seen a thread with as many posts as that one. I guess having nothing to do with anything that is actually going on with it just makes it simple for me to disconnect from the situation and enjoy the forced optimism from the fallout. Had I actually known anything about anyone in the situation(besides one time attempting to play depression quest), I'd probably be more pissed off about something going on. Luckily that's not the case.

As for anyone else that doesn't care about the situation *pulls out a bag of popcorn, offers it to everyone* any takers? I've got more if we run out.

This is....disappointing. You did exactly what people are mad about - contributed to sweeping it under the rug. Your Twitter response is insufficient and focuses on all the wrong things. But if you can keep to your word and revisit it later, I can revisit my opinion of you. This week I cannot thank god for you.

That said, regardless of the bad timing, this was a good episode. The Kickstarter craze has shown in stark relief that the large game publishers are NOT satisfying all of what the gaming market wants, no matter what they claim won't sell. It's heartening to see them proven wrong over and over again.

Suggestion for next week's episode - all third parties pulling out of the Wii U.

(Also, watching someone play Grimrock with just the mouse is super painful)

I actually didn't like Grimrock. I couldn't get into the rhythm. I kept missing my attacks or just being woefully underpowered. Also how the heck do the spells work? I have a level 7 or so caster and I've never been able to cast a single spell. Like ever. I can't find a spellbook that lists what symbols equal which spells, so I guess and nothing ever happens.
A very frustrating game to be sure.

Even with your optimism I can't be too uplifted by gaming these days. The whole Sarkeesian and Quinn debacles just serve to remind me why being a movie fan is a lot less stressful. Sure, we get the usual corporate bullshit and Michael Bay still has a death grip on blockbusters but at least half the debate whenever a woman's in the news doesn't sound like it came out of a Bret Easton Ellis novel.

klaynexas3:

Evonisia:
snip

See, I only showed up on the first day of the thread(and luckily and not notable enough to get quoted too often), so I only went back to prove my hypothesis(that I actually only made as a joke in the first place) about it probably just being alts in the thread. When it turned out to be truer than I thought, I mostly just laughed. I realize for some it's annoying, but to me, I just find the outrage almost comical, especially since I have never seen a thread with as many posts as that one. I guess having nothing to do with anything that is actually going on with it just makes it simple for me to disconnect from the situation and enjoy the forced optimism from the fallout. Had I actually known anything about anyone in the situation(besides one time attempting to play depression quest), I'd probably be more pissed off about something going on. Luckily that's not the case.

As for anyone else that doesn't care about the situation *pulls out a bag of popcorn, offers it to everyone* any takers? I've got more if we run out.

It's not alts - it's a huge amount of new people signing up to talk about it, because the discussion has been suppressed across nearly every site.

Thanatos2k:

Suggestion for next week's episode - all third parties pulling out of the Wii U.

It can be really interesting since WiiU have more users than the X1 for now.

OT: i agree, publisher will go where is the money and strangly i found mine going to fund games like (among others): Torment, Pillars of Eternity, Darkest Dungeon or the Mandate. The last AAA game i buyed was Xcom Ennemy Unknow (steam sales of course).
I don't care anymore about the AAA market, it don't care about my taste so i don't see why i should throw money at it.

What was that underwater game at the 4:00 mark? For a minute I thought it was Abz, but I know that's not it...

Anyway, yes. Thank God for... indies.

DirgeNovak:
What was that underwater game at the 4:00 mark? For a minute I thought it was Abz, but I know that's not it...

I think it's Call of Duty. With Fish AI!

I bought LoGR a while ago. I like it alright, but it's really not my kind of game. I don't have a problem with tile-movement dungeon-crawling where enemies move in real time, but I prefer what Wizardry 8 did: Full movement, ability to use various topography to your advantage, and characters with personalities who reacted to events.

The sad thing for me is that, by and large, the industry isn't making games that appeal to me in terms of roleplaying and open-world. Most of the games I've been playing recently are ones from the turn of the millennium. Age of Empires 2, Dark Messiah of Might & Magic, and Mafia 2 (well, okay, that one's more recent, but I'd be playing the first Mafia if it were on Steam). All of them are games with glaring flaws of some sort, but they're solid overall and each has a core aspect that appeals to me.

Age of Empires 2 lets you play any medieval civilization against any other civilization on any continent. Alternate history appeals to me, and the last game I was playing, I was playing as the Teutons, and the Aztecs are VERY difficult to conquer.

Dark Messiah's writing sucks and the voice acting is truly sub-par, but the concept of the plot is interesting and its first-person fantasy combat is awesome. A bit cumbersome, perhaps, but that just adds to the challenge and realism. And it's got a great aesthetic. There should've been more fantasy games made with the Source engine.

Mafia is a good-old crime sandbox, but there's a novelty to playing one of those set in the height of organized crime. Both games also have solid stories with characters I give a damn about, even though most of them are rotten and a lot of them die. A bit like Game of Thrones, in that way.

Anyway, most modern games just don't cut it for me. Too much sepia from AAA and too many isometric and side-scrolling throwbacks in Indie.

Thanatos2k:
snip

I've seen at least a few accounts in there that are more likely to be alts than new people, or just people that never really posted before, though I guess it would make more sense as to why there are so many posts in it as opposed to our other shit storms of the past. At any rate, I still find it amusing more than anything. Yes I realize the implications of this and that and etc etc, but the fact that it takes over 8000 posts to talk about that is, quite frankly, funny.

DirgeNovak:

If I remember right (and I may be wrong), it's the underwater mission from Call of Duty: Ghosts. Hell, it's one of the few missions I actually remember from that game.

Legend of Grimrock looks like fun (like the old D&D games...not the really old ones of course) but it looks like something I'd rather play on my phone at this point.

I do like Journey and some of the weird whimsical indie games but I don't think people buy new consoles for games like that. Tearaway looks great but I'm not going to buy a Vita just to play it.

Thanatos2k:
This is....disappointing. You did exactly what people are mad about - contributed to sweeping it under the rug. Your Twitter response is insufficient and focuses on all the wrong things. But if you can keep to your word and revisit it later, I can revisit my opinion of you. This week I cannot thank god for you.

I am so very, very exhausted by all of this, so I want to address this and let it be the definitive end for me, for now, because I really have lost a lot of work time dealing with all of this. I do feel, however, that I should defend myself against "sweeping it under the rug," because I, well, did acknowledge it on the show, rather than pretend it wasn't the elephant in the room, and I think that counts for something. As far as my Twitter response goes, there are SO MANY things going on right now, it's impossible to be sufficient without spending literally hours going through everything. I did my best to isolate the things that would be relevant to Jimquisition topics, but I wish I could communicate to you the sheer wall of noise that's been hitting me for more than a week, so you could understand the difficulty I've had in trying to isolate relevant discussion points while filtering out personal business that I don't know what rake through like a tabloid reporter.

It sucks if you're unhappy with what I had to say, but I see no value in contributing to the wall of noise. I like to think I've always tried to value reason and rationality on my show - even if I sometimes fail to be reasonable and rational - and I'm doing my best to hold that up and not get sucked into the vortex of outrage that's obscuring anything helpful.

So yeah. I'm sorry if you think I'm part of a conspiracy or trying to sweep things under the rug, but from a personal standpoint, I really need some distance so I can try and do what I always try and do on the show, and be helpful in some way to my audience. I hope you can understand that.

You know, I am definitely glad that niche games can exist.

On the other hand, I miss the days when many of these titles wouldn't be "niche" because games didn't have to sell 50 million copies in 24 hours or be considered flops. Also, I didn't like the Tearaway demo.

I think I'm more depressed by the happy episode than the others.

ShakerSilver:

You blame Cobra for their censorship, how much the game community dislikes it, and it simply does not work. You ripped them apart for their small scale censorship, but now when there's much larger issue of censorship and dishonesty going on in both the indie scene and the game journalism industry, you saw it more fit to focus on the "harassment" of the dev and debated that the sex "may not have been used as payment for good coverage".

And yet, he still managed to come down against the censorship of such harassment.

Goliath100:
As someone visiting The Escapist in 2014: Zoe Who?

That's right. She's the daughter of famous time traveler Doctor Who. Quinn is her mother's maiden name, as she's half-human on her mother's side.

Evonisia:

DirgeNovak:

If I remember right (and I may be wrong), it's the underwater mission from Call of Duty: Ghosts. Hell, it's one of the few missions I actually remember from that game.

Thanatos2k:
I think it's Call of Duty. With Fish AI!

Huh. I didn't know CoD knew colors other than beige and gunmetal grey.

Thanatos2k:

Ugh. Sweeping what under the rug? There IS nothing to talk about except rambling conspiracy theories.
Look at the Depression Quest Metacritic page. LOOK AT IT! Where are the glowing reviews paid for with sex? Where is the corruption?

I'll agree the proximity between press and devs is a subject worth talking about, but this "scandal" is the stupidest bullshit since Take Back Mass Effect.

I've been getting really down and depressed lately (this job search is killing me). So, thanks Jim. I know it isn't much, but this little episode with a hint of optimism and a positive attitude did help cheer me up a bit. A very well-timed and much needed video if I do say so myself.

He has said what he wants to on that subject all ready don't browbeat him for not going in depth to it. One of the parts of that other discussion is "pulling the trigger to soon" and by his admittance he is waiting for the dust to clear so let it happen.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here