Top 5 with Lisa Foiles: Top 5 Fake Endings - Just When You Think It's Over...

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Top 5 Fake Endings - Just When You Think It's Over...

Just cause the credits are rolling doesn't mean the story's over.

Watch Video

Kevin, now fold-able for quick and easy storage.

OT: I don't think i've ever played a game with a massive twist ending... I feel left out.

So every game on the list was also a sequel? Interesting. I guess it makes sense that new IP usually plays it safe in the story department, and saves stuff like twist endings for a sequel.

No Donkey Kong Country or Kid Icarus: Uprising?

Isn't that a Pitty...

I was always a fan of Curse of Monkey Island's fake ending about halfway through.

why was Kevin in a box?

Whoa! WHOA WHOA!
What about killing Andrew Ryan in Bioshock? I know you already put that on the 'Plot Twist' episode, but come on! We spend hours shooting, hacking, splicing and bee-ing our way through Rapture, kill the big bad, stop an explosion, you think its the end and boom!
Would you kindly keep going, you're only at the half-way mark!
No BS fake credit scrolls or trying to trick you into thinking an AAA company is going to kill off a major character. Just more gameplay because you got fooled son!(or daughter, as is Lisa's case...)

Kevin in a plastic box should be a staple in Top 5 videos.

Or...any Escapist video, really. But let's start with Top 5. Man that's an gorgeous cat.

In any case, yeah I'd say BioShock's twist ending deserved a mention in this list. Man that was cool, now I wanna play it again.

This list is also missing Jade Empire.

So you've done your quest to free your Master Li, and stop the evil Emperor who killed the Water Dragon to gain the power of a god, Master Li approaches to congratulate you - and then he kills you and takes the power of the Water Dragon for himself. Turns out your character should have paid more attention to the cryptic warnings of the Water Dragon's spirit.

A good third of the game is spent AFTER the fake ending, trying to fix everything.

I suppose a top 5 list isn't big enough to fit all the interesting twist endings.

I'd say the first memorable fake ending for me was in Tales of Destiny. It had such a great betrayal element going too and then ended in such a great climax. Probably deserved a spot here but it's an older game so fair enough.

TBH, the John Marston death is the most badly written heroic death I have ever seen. And I've seen Reign of Fire. He had to die? Sure! Do not let him walk out to his death when he could have just used the shed as cover. At least make it look like he had a fighting chance, ffs.

Tohron:
This list is also missing Jade Empire.

So you've done your quest to free your Master Li, and stop the evil Emperor who killed the Water Dragon to gain the power of a god, Master Li approaches to congratulate you - and then he kills you and takes the power of the Water Dragon for himself. Turns out your character should have paid more attention to the cryptic warnings of the Water Dragon's spirit.

A good third of the game is spent AFTER the fake ending, trying to fix everything.

I suppose a top 5 list isn't big enough to fit all the interesting twist endings.

I was JUST thinking of this one when I saw you mention it.

Yeah. You spent the WHOLE GAME trying to rescue the man who raised you and trained you since birth... the music swells, the evil emperor is vanquished, everything is building towards the happy credits... BAM. Never saw it coming.

Also Kid Icarus: Uprising was practically the best fake-out ending ever.

Kind of a cheat, but I was hoping to see the literal fake ending from Eternal Darkness show up. But I guess not everyone saw that, as it depends on your sanity level at the end of a specific chapter.

I realize this may be a stupid question but did Lisa just announce the end of "Top 5"? Or, in keeping with the theme of the episode, was it a fake-out?

Heh, I thought there was an ending missing from that list... good going there with THAT ending right at the end of the video.

I was expecting there to be a twist at the end of the episode. Something like: Credits roll, screen goes black, Lisa comes back on for her #0 game. Or maybe just her dancing with Kevin.

Ronack:
TBH, the John Marston death is the most badly written heroic death I have ever seen. And I've seen Reign of Fire. He had to die? Sure! Do not let him walk out to his death when he could have just used the shed as cover. At least make it look like he had a fighting chance, ffs.

Missing the point much?

There was no need for him to fight, he had to die in that combat one way or the other to make sure they wouldnt keep chassing him and possibly hurt his family.

Once again, list is lacking (except it's better now, because those are all actual fakeouts)

What about Best Witch??? (2 fake endings in one game)(P.S.: Not into the Sun, towards the Earth)

http://youtu.be/wXk09biowoo?t=11m20s

What in Kojima's name are you talking about?
Snake clearly died at the end of MGS 4 and then the credits rolled.

That was all that happened.

I think of Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney.

So there you are, having pinned down the true culprit of case #4, credits roll, and you think it was a mighty fine game... until a mighty "HOLD IT!!" appears and case #5 becomes available.

Incidentally, how do you separate cases of fake endings from scenarios where you thought the game would be over but it turned out it wasn't? I'm thinking of the Bioshock example used further upthread, basing on the footage I've seen it didn't look like that was a fake ending so much as a plot twist that gave additional levels to complete.

I would include killing Orochi in Okami. It was kind of weird that it happened so early on, but everything in it, from the story to the cutscenes before you fight it make it look like Orochi was the final bad guy (I was half expecting credits to roll at that point), just to learn later on that he wasn't even the worst of them...

Grimh:
What in Kojima's name are you talking about?
Snake clearly died at the end of MGS 4 and then the credits rolled.

That was all that happened.

I wish... how I hated everything that happened after Snake "killed" himself. What a mayor shift of tone and cop-out on Kojima's part.

Ahhhh~ Dead Space 2 ... yeah, that was a very fitting one to put in your list. Thanks for doing so!!

Also ... yeah, even YOU know that the third game is a cash grab. They totally could of ended it at Dead Space 2, but nope. The third one totally ripped my heart out but not due to feels. More like ruining a franchise I loved so very much. All well, good episode!!

Like there was any doubt what #1 would be. Can you imagine a publisher allowing basically half of the game to be locked away these days? I mean, and not make you pay to unlock the other half of course.

josemlopes:

Ronack:

Missing the point much?

There was no need for him to fight, he had to die in that combat one way or the other to make sure they wouldnt keep chassing him and possibly hurt his family.

His family was less than a hundred meters away when he got riddled with bullets, tho ...

Arkham City with Catwoman DLC surely.

Halfway through Catwoman has her jewels back but gets a call from Bats who's trapped under a ton of rubble.

"Do I stay or I go?".

Exit Arkham City and the credits role as Gotham burns.

Class.

(Not that anyone would believe the game was going to end there)

Persona 4 should have been on the list.

I would put the Metroid: Other M ending here because the first ending was so horrible that there was nothing better in the world at that moment than releasing there was a second one.

Does Ni No Kuni count as having a fake ending? When Oliver confronts and resolves his conflicts, the story feels like it ends on a perfect note. Oddly, the story continues and when all is said and done, the final ending is much less satisfying.

inu-kun:
Persona 4 should have been on the list.

Normally I read these comments thinking "Yeah, yeah.. the list was fine."

But I completely agree, Persona 4 should totally be on this list. Use your detective skills to figure out who the killer is, and everything ends all (deceptively) happily ever after. BUT use your ADVANCED detective skills to figure out that something doesn't quite add up and be treated to one of my favorite final battles of all time and the game's True Ending.

FOOOLED YOU!

Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb.

As if SotN wouldn't be #1. I'd be pissed if it was off the list entirely.
Oh, Lisa, how you taunted and tantalized us in the N7 shirt in an episode about fake endings. People will argue for decades how Mass Effect really ended!
I hate the endings that just spit on the player's progress, give a great big middle finger to themr and go "Sucker! All those hours you spent playing didn't matter! You accomplished nothing!" I prefer the fake endings that lean on the 4th wall a little and have more game to play afterwards.

What about Final Fantasy 6? Thought you were a fan.

Aw, no Donkey Kong Country?, I am dissapoint.

Also, as a little trivia, some PS1 games didn't allow you to even see the "true" final boss/ending if you didn't play it on Hard, like Hercules or The Lost World. It technically counts as a "fake ending" if you happened to play it on Easy or Normal.

I'm sorry, Mario. Your ending is in another castle.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here