The Walking Dead Season 2: No Going Back Review

Pages 1 2 NEXT

The Walking Dead Season 2: No Going Back Review

Hard choices that feel real actual choices wrap up an explosive and brutal finale.

Read Full Article

Ahh, multiple endings. Lovely.

That kinda bothered me with the last one, that no matter what, I ended up with the same two survivors no matter what and the choice of one or two arms.

...That was about it.

"not unsatisfactory" is wrong..

Mine was pretty god awful... For more reasons than plot relevance.

As for the entire game, in retrospect it just wasn't that good. Sure I enjoyed myself, and I wait for the inevitable third installment but...it just wasn't good.

Maybe I was blinded in the first one but while playing this, every episode just made me angry. There was no real choice. They had a tale they wanted to tell (heh), but they just let you pick the option for now. No matter what you do, the story will always play out the same, with slight variables(Maybe the one character will stay alive for an extra 3 minutes of screen time etc.). The only real choices were at the end, and that just chooses which ending you'll get to watch first, before doing it again or looking on youtube.

That said, buy it. But fuck me if anyone praises the "choose your own story" aspect. I, to quote the super computer by the name AM, I "HATE!" bad illusion of choice. Fool me all you want, but do it well.

Complaincomplainwhinewhine.

Toastngravy:
Maybe I was blinded in the first one but while playing this, every episode just made me angry. There was no real choice. They had a tale they wanted to tell, but they just let you pick the option for now. No matter what you do, the story will always play out the same, with slight variables(Maybe the one character will stay alive for an extra 3 minutes of screen time etc.).

The first season had no permanently diverging paths at all. Nor did it have the moments of massive pain, relief, and hatred that this season has. Season 1 didn't have aggravating cliffhangers, though. Both are are good stories anyways.

Anyone else unable to download this episode from the Telltale client/DRM? The connection seems to work, but the episode is still "coming soon".

I thought this episode was good. Not amazing by any stretch, but a pretty solid affair. I like that it has multiple endings that was neat. It was a pretty good finale for the season though, kind of makes me wonder what they'll do for season three.

So...

Not gonna lie, Season 1 was better. It was just plain better, by far. That being said, Season 2 was good. I don't know if I'd say "great", but it was good, and while I had difficulty having much investment in any of the characters, there was one moment where it'll be very difficult for you to not cry. It would've been better if the ending wasn't really damn obvious since Episode 2.

Also, anybody notice how of all the wounds that people receive in Season 2, it almost never affects anybody, especially in this episode? I mean, sure, Lee's busted leg healed in a day, but thats nothing compared to some of the stuff that happens in this.

hazabaza1:

"Nearly"?

The "its just a little something in my eye" excuse doesn't cut it :P

Burnouts3s3:
So...

MarsAtlas:

It ain't no season one, but...

Okay, so I played through the episode, all good. But then I couldn't see my choices at the end and didn't get any of the achievements. And it also messed up Google Chrome, everything is zoomed in but zooming out doesn't return it to normal. Googling it didn't help at all, can anyone help me out here?

Oh my fucking god it was incredible.

The Goat Tsar:
Okay, so I played through the episode, all good. But then I couldn't see my choices at the end and didn't get any of the achievements. And it also messed up Google Chrome, everything is zoomed in but zooming out doesn't return it to normal. Googling it didn't help at all, can anyone help me out here?

The choices page didn't show up for me either, but I'm playing on PS3 so I got the trophies.
But I don't get how a game can screw up your web browser...

I was satisfied with my ending. My one complaint was that I didn't really get attached to any of the supporting cast on a truly deep level like I did in the first season, but I cared enough that the ending still made a significant impact. I just wasn't having a good cry like I did at the end of Season 1.

The Goat Tsar:

Same here, and it was a common occurance with last episode, and IIRC, episode 2 and 3 as well. I think if you want them, you just have to go through it again. Yeah, sucks.

So what'd I do?

I've noticed that people that feel the ending was unsatisfactory or that this episode was poor

Honestly this game isn't as good as season 1, though it was damn hard to be that. There were a lot of things that made me worry about the direction Telltale is going for future seasons and I'm honestly going to be a bit more weary, but this season was worth every tear.

For those interested in getting the game, Steam has it on sale for $10 until Friday.

Since you didn't want to discuss it in the article, what was your favorite ending Jim?

hazabaza1:

Nearly? Shit, I cried unmanly tears at that part.

I'll echo what others have said. Season 1 was definitely better than Season 2, but considering how amazing Season 1 was, I dont hold that against Season 2 by any stretch. I'm still crying thinking about it.

This was an INCREDIBLE and powerful ending. And now I'll have to go back to my second savefile and actually explore the various endings. There is a chance that Season 3 could actually have multiple beginnings that all have to somehow get back to the same path and if Telltale decide to go down that route then they will have probably their biggest storytelling challenge yet.

I look forward to seeing if and how they go about it.

I'm going to go against orthodoxy here and say I liked season 2 more than season 2. Season 1 was good, don't get me wrong, but it always felt it was written by taking a "worst case scenario: what would you do" questionnaire and crafting scenarios around it, leaving things a bit paragon/renegade.

And 2 weeks ago I might have said something else, but recent, uh, discourse about a certain topic has put this episode in a different perspective. No longer pressed between the pragmatic and the idealistic so much we get a story crafted around dealing with others, and how it can go wrong. Distrust, control issues, anger, emotional instability, or just ego cloud decisions and reduce people quickly to "my way's right and everyone else will screw it all up." I won't name names, personalities or sides, but in a lot of what I've seen lately (or even not lately) lines up with Kenny's irrational anger when what he thinks is questioned, or Jane's more passive "my way or hindrance" judgementalness. In hindsight, the group's lack of connection becomes almost necessary to remind us that despite what TV tells us, not all groups gel and form a tight bond, but at times we still have to work together and think of the group, not ourselves.

Could be why

So, the second season is finally out? Cool, might check it out. Loved the first one, was really looking forward to this one.

Not reading, too cautious. I just assume this means that the whole game will come out on PS3 so I can rent it now?

I loved that each of the endings wrapped things up in a meaningful way. I picked what could probably be considered the worst possible ending, and I don't regret a thing.

Well...

Oh yeah

I cried like a mother...humper after I was forced to put Kenny down. Jane was less of a loose canon, she had been good to me (Clementine, I mean) and she could learn to associate herself with others. Kenny was simply too broken for that...

I just wonder if I could've saved Luke from drowning in ice cold water.

Yeah this one got me right in the heart really good that I shed a few tears at the end.

It's surprising to have found out that there are multiple endings to this and given the fact that they announced a Season 3 I wonder which of them they will choose or go around to.

Also which of the 3-4 endings did you guys think that it's the canon one?

Dalrien:

SPOILERS. SPOILERS.

See the posts above you in the thread? See how they all written by people who have a basic level of courtesy? Emulate them.

[REDACTED]:

Dalrien:

SPOILERS. SPOILERS.

See the posts above you in the thread? See how they all written by people who have a basic level of courtesy? Emulate them.

Courtesy? What on earth do you speak of? No such thing exists within my soul.

Looking over all the endings I definitely chose the wrong one!

Overall though I liked it even though I didn't feel as emotionally invested with the characters like in season 1. Well worth the wait.

I don't get all the Kenny hate here.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or