No Right Answer: Best Cult Classic Ever - From Evil Dead to Rocky Horror

Best Cult Classic Ever - From Evil Dead to Rocky Horror

Geeks pride themselves on loving cult classics, films that few have seen but everyone who's seen them loves. Can Chris, Kyle and Dan decide which cult is worth joining?

Watch Video

I fucking love Kung Pow so much. My entire extended family has been quoting that movie for over a decade now.

I was going to make an extended argument for Highlander being the best Cult Classic until you mentioned Kung Pow. Yeah that wins.

Plus, after four three two one and only one sequel, an anime spinoff, and a hit television series can you really be called a cult film?

C'est nous les Franšais, les Útrangers!

OT: This is grounds for an endless debate, because most of these are judged by subjective appreciation.

But yeah, I think I have to go with Kung-Pow (though I also love RHPS and Donnie Darko.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus_Christ_Vampire_Hunter

Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter. So bad, it's good. Not sure if many people have heard of it, though.

First of all, congrats on the new baby! That is such a life altering wonderful experience. There's nothing better. Enjoy every second of it!

Secondly, say Evil Dead sucks again and I will find you and punch you in the nards. Fair warning.

(Disclaimer: just so I don't get quoted and told to chill out or moderated for "threatening" an Escapist videographer or somesuch, that was a joke. I have no intentions of hunting down someone for a differing opinion)

The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension didn't even get a mention?
Shameful.

I was going to say Kung Fu Hustle, but a bit of Googling tells me that it actually did pretty well in terms of box office. And Donnie Darko is the definition of a cult classic in that most people hate it, and few rabidly love it. The problem is that being the archetypical cult classic doesn't make it a good movie, practically by definition.

Angnor:
The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension didn't even get a mention?
Shameful.

It was on our list and got cut for time. We did not forget! (Even though forgetting a cult classic seems like a fair instance to forget some titles.)

I haven't watched Kung Pow in a decade, and longer since Army of Darkness, and I must correct that. I watched Idiocracy twice and it always cracks me up! Mike "Beavis & Butt-Head" Judge is an underrated genius.
Donnie Darko, to me, sounds like it only became infamous BECAUSE it's confusing, which is not always the same as DEEP.

Mcoffey:
I was going to make an extended argument for Highlander being the best Cult Classic until you mentioned Kung Pow. Yeah that wins.

Plus, after four three two one and only one sequel, an anime spinoff, and a hit television series can you really be called a cult film?

ONE SEQUEL? There has been only ONE movie total!

Darth_Payn:

Mcoffey:

ONE SEQUEL? There has been only ONE movie total!

Endgame is extraordinarily dumb, but I dig the continuity of it. Plus the Connor/Duncan fight is awesome and always gets me a little misty.

No love for Phantom of the Paradise?

Rocky Horror. It puts the cult in cult classic! I honestly feel it's the superlative. It just fits the description perfectly. Not my favorite of the movies mentioned, though.

The Big Lebowski should have gotten a mention. Didn't do well at the box office, but there are now Lebowski fests all over the place. Basically a bunch of people in bathrobes drinking White Russians while watching the movie. It's a good time.

bluepotatosack:
Rocky Horror. It puts the cult in cult classic! I honestly feel it's the superlative. It just fits the description perfectly. Not my favorite of the movies mentioned, though.

The Big Lebowski should have gotten a mention. Didn't do well at the box office, but there are now Lebowski fests all over the place. Basically a bunch of people in bathrobes drinking White Russians while watching the movie. It's a good time.

We had that one on our list as well but cut it when we agreed that the Big Lebowski has permeated the Internet too fully to be considered "cult" anymore.

Mystery Science Theater 3000 the Movie should be on the list.

But it is a pretty good list.

There is also, Iron Sky // But they were right the first time, Rocky Horror Picture Show is the greatest cult classic movie

-M

If a cult classic is just an awesome movie with quotable lines that no one saw then I vote "Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World" cause nobody saw that, but it is just SOOOOO good.

Also grats on the little flesh blob Chris.

Chris Pranger:
We had that one on our list as well but cut it when we agreed that the Big Lebowski has permeated the Internet too fully to be considered "cult" anymore.

I could imagine the same conversation happening for The Room, too.

Frozengale:
If a cult classic is just an awesome movie with quotable lines that no one saw then I vote "Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World" cause nobody saw that, but it is just SOOOOO good.

It's young, so I'm not sure it's there yet. But, I'm sure it will get there. Great flick.

Frozengale:

Also grats on the little flesh blob Chris.

Yeeeees, that movie is so good. (Dan runs out to buy it)

Dead Century:

Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter. So bad, it's good. Not sure if many people have heard of it, though.

I love this movie. It transcends the budget in a way 8 legged freaks never could.

Dead Century:

Well this is stupid, this shouldn't be a No Right Answers episode because there is a right answer and it's The Princess Bride. You want quotes? Oh we got fucking quotes. If the definition of a cult classic is a movie that few have seen but all who have love then The Princess Bride fits perfectly. The Princess Bride is the right answer.

ZZoMBiE13:
(Disclaimer: just so I don't get quoted and told to chill out or moderated for "threatening" an Escapist videographer or somesuch, that was a joke. I have no intentions of hunting down someone for a differing opinion)

Believe me when I say I am not kidding. If Chris ever says that I will find him and poop on his doorstep. But I live in Ireland and that's a long flight, I wouldn't want to make that round trip so it'd be cool if he could like let me crash on his couch for a day or two or something.

Spot1990:
Well this is stupid, this shouldn't be a No Right Answers episode because there is a right answer and it's The Princess Bride. You want quotes? Oh we got fucking quotes. If the definition of a cult classic is a movie that few have seen but all who have love then The Princess Bride fits perfectly. The Princess Bride is the right answer.

ZZoMBiE13:

Believe me when I say I am not kidding. If Chris ever says that I will find him and poop on his doorstep. But I live in Ireland and that's a long flight, I wouldn't want to make that round trip so it'd be cool if he could like let me crash on his couch for a day or two or something.

We also debated The Princess Bride off camera and decided that it, too, was too ever-present in the current pop culture landscape, partly owing to our shared drama experiences proving that high schoolers can and will (annoyingly) quote the entire movie to you as you watch it, especially when you ask them not to.

Also, yes, you may sleep on my couch but please just give me a nard punch. With the new baby, we'll have plenty of poop to deal with and I'd like to keep that doorstep clean for when people need to stop by to punch my nards.

What!? The best of all cult classics didn't get mentioned!? INCONCEIVABLE!
Seriously though, it's Princess Bride.

Also, congratulations to Chris. Always good to hear a nerd has spawned. It means a new generation of geeklets to keep intelligent conversation and pop culture (or anti-pop culture as the case may be) minutiae alive. Good on ya!

*EDIT: And apparently I really should read the comments before I post. Ninja'd. ^_^

Thunderous Cacophony:
I was going to say Kung Fu Hustle, but a bit of Googling tells me that it actually did pretty well in terms of box office. And Donnie Darko is the definition of a cult classic in that most people hate it, and few rabidly love it. The problem is that being the archetypical cult classic doesn't make it a good movie, practically by definition.

I love Kung Fu Hustle and made a point of snagging a Bluray copy recently, only to learn that while the movie is awesome, it's shockingly offensive to gay people. Oh the early 2000s! What a stranger time you were!

D.Strormer:
What!? The best of all cult classics didn't get mentioned!? INCONCEIVABLE!
Seriously though, it's Princess Bride.

Also, congratulations to Chris. Always good to hear a nerd has spawned. It means a new generation of geeklets to keep intelligent conversation and pop culture (or anti-pop culture as the case may be) minutiae alive. Good on ya!

Dan's the first of us to sire an heir, then me, and Kyle is next moth. We're the most virile show on The Escapist!

Chris Pranger:

Spot1990:

ZZoMBiE13:

We also debated The Princess Bride off camera and decided that it, too, was too ever-present in the current pop culture landscape, partly owing to our shared drama experiences proving that high schoolers can and will (annoyingly) quote the entire movie to you as you watch it, especially when you ask them not to.

We can't hold the fanbases of cult classics against cult classics, most of them are awful in the exact same way. Some will even act like their cult classic of choice is the best ever made, no questions asked, no debate allowed. They're so obnoxious sometimes.

Also, yes, you may sleep on my couch but please just give me a nard punch. With the new baby, we'll have plenty of poop to deal with and I'd like to keep that doorstep clean for when people need to stop by to punch my nards.

Nard punch is a bit extreme. Do you have any plants I can pee on? I mostly go in for human-waste based vengeance I can carry out in secret under cover of darkness. I find physical confrontation can lead to face punching and I'm afraid of face punching.

Out of those mentioned in the show, Rocky Horror wins. Why? Because Tim Curry, that's why. :P

If you haven't watched Thankskilling yet, do yourself a favor and sit through it. Nothing's better than a necromanced, bloodthirsty turkey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-9gAzKSCQ8

What no Boondock Saints? You know - the one movie that never had a sequel.

ive watched evil dead, it was awfully boring, im gonna force myself to watch the sequels but im gonna give it the benefit of the doubt...

Pulp Fiction is the ultimate cult classic. Did terrible in theatres, but somehow still revitalized John Travolta's career. It has so many big stars in it, but nobody watched it until 5 years after it originally came out. Now, you've got Samuel L. Jackson memes all over the internet.

A specific cult classic would be Ong Bak. The only people I know who have watched this movie are involved in martial arts of some sort, and it's the reason I started practicing muay thai. Look for the star of Ong Bak, Tony Jaa, in the upcoming Fast & Furious 7, and be amazed.

InsaneFool:

Are you denying that it had a sequel because the sequel was so awful? The sequel's big fuck-up was that it was missing Willem Dafoe.

rasputin0009:

InsaneFool:

Are you denying that it had a sequel because the sequel was so awful? The sequel's big fuck-up was that it was missing Willem Dafoe.

The sequel - which never happened - would have suffered because it was trying too hard recapture the lightning in a bottle that was the original - if it happened at all, which it didn't.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here