The Theory That Will Tie All Video Game Stories Together

Pages 1 2 NEXT

The Theory That Will Tie All Video Game Stories Together

It's called the Grand Unifying Theory of Video Games, and it ties all games together with a common thread. Yahtzee takes that thread and tries to tie it in a nice little bow.

Read Full Article

Hm, very interesting. I suppose that with a sufficient amount of time you could make all games believably-ish connected.

Would all games (within the already determined parameters) count? What about games not released outside their respective countries? Demos? Educational games? Etc.

This should turn into a forum game. It would spawn some of the most awesome, throwing shit at a wall theories ever.

Holy shitballs.
You're a genius. Seriously, those thoughts need turning into a thing!

WouldYouKindly:
This should turn into a forum game. It would spawn some of the most awesome, throwing shit at a wall theories ever.

*drools at the idea*

Roofstone:
Would all games (within the already determined parameters) count? What about games not released outside their respective countries? Demos? Educational games? Etc.

I think regional games still apply; in essence, these games are telling the story of what it's like on Game Earth, and no one game can cover the whole span, or will exist everywhere; it's enough that they are published.

As for educational games, absolutely; what is Putt Putt if not a mutated supernatural being aping the new world? Maybe beings like Pajama Sam are the descendants of fey creatures like the fairies of Kokiri Village, genetically inclined to be near humans and humanoid children and help them with tasks?

So the Umbrella Corporation were the ones responsible for causing the Mexico scandal which lead to Carlito Keyes attacking Willamette with the bees in DR1. It all makes sense now!

But yes, I also think this would make a nice forum game.

That was a very entertaining reinterpretation of video game lore. I loved the way Yahtzee incorporated the mushroom kingdom.

To think it all comes from health kits.

Yahtzee, you know what else is Red? Jam. Jam is Red *mind blown*

Well, given that many games explore the possibility of parallel universes, that also means that fantasy games don't necessarily have to all take place in the distant past. That simplifies things quite a bit.

And it was all imagined in the mind of Tommy Westphall.

Why do I have this urge to say "That's just a theory...A GAME THEORY!"

Interesting take on unification, though I think people have been trying to do this for decades now.

I have my own insane grand unifying theory, the idea is that adventure time, fallout, shin megami tensei 1 and 2, touhou, gravity falls, and mario, all take place on the same world.

And could Kain be the same entity as Cain, the First Vampire referenced in Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines? Why the fuck not?

Well, Cain originates from the Bible, via the VtM P&P RPG, so not original to video games or even games at all....

Legacy of Kain/VtM crossover? Yes, please. But come on. Kain killed by Julius Belmont? Get real. He ain't called The Devourer of Worlds without reason.

It's nice seeing you go into detail on this theory after hearing about it in Let's Drown Out over the last few weeks or months. I wish I understood more than about 40% of what you were making reference to. I think you missed a step, though, in excluding non-game-originated characters and settings completely; Dracula is an integral part of Castlevania, and I'm sure there are a bunch of other examples (someone already pointed one out, even).

Clearly, Master Belch and the Great Mighty Poo are twin excretions from opposite ends of the same unfathomable, eternal being. The creature is known to devour without tiring, without cease. Only once did the things the creature ate ever pass through its horrifying internal systems. And only once did the creature ever succumb to nausea. And such is the power of the beast that cannot die, that these excretions took on a mockery of life.

I speak of course, of the being known only as Kirby.

Zachary Amaranth:

Interesting take on unification, though I think people have been trying to do this for decades now.

Because Game Theory did do something similar to this awhile back?
http://youtu.be/blaX_eMz3Qw

I'm still all for Yahtzee's take on it but having already seen GT's video of it I'm going to be stuck doing automatic comparisons.

1999 is when Lavos attacks, not when Kain fights Belmont. Get your history straight, Yahtzee!

Dying_Jester:

Zachary Amaranth:

Because Game Theory did do something similar to this awhile back?
http://youtu.be/blaX_eMz3Qw

I'm still all for Yahtzee's take on it but having already seen GT's video of it I'm going to be stuck doing automatic comparisons.

To borrow a line from The Simposons, "That's the joke."

soooo...new book? :D

no need to fall into fan fiction or copy right infringement just with recognizable themes and tropes of the games lol

Umm... Somehow I'm instantly reminded of the Lovecraft's Dreamlands.
Maybe it works better not as a historical theory, but as a hazy surreal land with strange connections and lucid imagery?

How about this: a big lake of Red was found in the mines deep below Aperture Science, but Black Mesa broke in, sabotaged it (transforming it into acid) and stole the formula and technology Aperture was researching to create their H.E.V. Suit, a special protection that can repair itself by a blue derivative of Red and store Red from medkits and health stations for healing the user itself whenever he gets hurt (from light lacerations to severe fractures)

PS Captcha: "big kahuna burger"

Cain/Kane/however you spell it pops up in quite a few game series. He's the first templar and he's the founder and messiah of the Brotherhood of Nod.

This was the most fun article to read that you've written in a while, I was excited to see what you'd combine all the way through. This is your theory, so I'm not gonna add anything to it, just wanted to say it was interesting(and incredible nerdy) to hear about.

Darth_Payn:
Cain/Kane/however you spell it pops up in quite a few game series. He's the first templar and he's the founder and messiah of the Brotherhood of Nod.

Dracula pops up in quite a few games (mostly, but not only, Castlevania), but he was still disqualified.

I like my game universes to be segregated. Also, you're crazy.

You had me at Cate Archer. I would do embarrassing things just to get another NOLF game.

I am disappointed. That was much more uninteresting than I had expected.

AkaDad:
You had me at Cate Archer. I would do embarrassing things just to get another NOLF game.

I, too, only paid initial attention to the NOLF2 title screen image before reading the actual article.

Very, very interesting setting.
Thank you, Mr. Croshaw.

(also, additional thank you for combining Mechanists with Dunwall)

And could Kain be the same entity as Cain, the First Vampire referenced in Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines? Why the fuck not?

Kain was a progenitor of new vampire clans in this own universe, so double yes. I much prefer this Kain to official VtM Cain. Although knowning Kain he probably didn't die in fight with Belmoth but time-travelled somewhere.

Yahtzee, you know what else is Red? Jam. Jam is Red *mind blown*

This...actually fits really well. So in smaller dozes it is a healing agent, in bigger dozes it is mutagenic, and in largest seen so far it develops pseudo-life with additional bonus that it no longer exploding. It is possible that if next stage of Red is accumulated (say, a continent-size) it will achieve true sentience. Could it be that by making itself useful to humans (now-dominant species of planet) as a defense mechanism, Red tries to expand its existence? As Red is remnant of demons and such, it is quite possible that RED wasn't just remnant of demons, but some kind of revenge plan.

So clearly my favourite ship of Cate Archer/Kain would be possible in this brave new world you have created Yatzee?

Just write some fan-fiction. Come ooon, it'll be super fun.

Ooooook ... thanks for ruining my sleep for a few weeks yahtzee ... now my brain is in overdrive mode with your concept and adding details and connections and trying to create a unified timeline for all the games I'm aware of ...

On a positive note: Imagine a game made with this concept ... actually Duke Nukem Forever should have been that game considering the time it spent in development (and now I'm wondering if in a paralel universe such a game actually exists)

I don't see why some future game thing could not made used Red explicitly and reference other games without actually naming particular names or anything. There are a lot of stuff you could do with the idea without explicitly using copyrighted stuff I think.

What about inst-heal properties before they had access to magical creature fossils? They had to heal somehow in the gaming fashion. Is healing from magic use possible back then? It could be that after RED is discovered and used regularly, it stunts magical powers, explaing the prevailance of witches and wizards in those trending times. But even if so, RED being a fossil, would be in limited supply. Perhaps the intended synthesization of it, could explain away many games already. What about the boom of magical beings in Legendary? I never saw it to the end, but how could that surge effect the supply of RED, considering fossilisation is not a quick process. Maybe capture and testing on these creatures sparks a new canon?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here