Six Takeaways from Apple's iPhone 6 Reveal Event

Six Takeaways from Apple's iPhone 6 Reveal Event

Missed the iPhone 6 reveal event? Here's everything you need to know.

Read Full Article

The only thing I have to say to Apple fanboys and iPhone users is:

"Welcome to 2011!"

The iPhone 6 is objectively worse than the HTC One which launched over 18 months ago (for several hundred dollars cheaper at the time) and is now half the price of a brand new iPhone 6.

Apple has not made a relevant smartphone since the 4S, and the 4S was the last iPhone I ever bought.

All the new Apple features for the last 3 iterations and iOS updates have been taken from Android phones (apart from the fingerprint scanner). Panorama shot taken from Sony, notification panel taken from Android, NFC taken from Android, Apple pay ripped off from Samsung, etc etc.

(P.S Do you know what Sony didn't do? They didn't file a bitchy lawsuit like Apple does for every fucking ridiculous thing they patent)

Their camera is going to be well behind the other offerings from Android, and even Windows phone; HTC learned you couldn't just increase the pixel size and expect to compete with cameras that have double the other stats... Samsungs have been able to shoot 4k video for 2 years now and neither iPhone 6 model can even do that on a low fps.

I have been in telecommunications sales, and sold mobile/cell phones for over 5 years now and this new offering is nothing short of embarrassing, especially after parading last year about all the research they did to come to the conclusion everybody wanted a tiny 4 inch screen with a lower ppi than a 7 inch tablet, and now 1 year later they are rocking big screens just like Androids.. but far less impressive... $869AUD for an iPhone 6 with 16gb fixed memory and not even a 1080p screen.. what a joke.

Here is my objective comparison I posted on my facebook:

Here is the new iPhone 6 vs. the HTC One released 18 months ago (A phone that I hated for not being up to scratch with the competition).

iPhone 6:
Full metal construction
4.7" 750 x 1334 screen (326ppi)
16gb internal memory, no expandable slot
8MP Camera / 1.2MP front facing
1gb RAM
1.2 Ghz Dual core 64 bit processor
1900 mAh battery (speculated)
Finger print scanner

vs.

HTC One:
Full metal construction
4.7" 1080 x 1920 screen (469ppi)
32gb internal memory, no expandable slot
4MP Ultra pixel camera / 2.1MP front facing
2gb RAM
1.7Ghz Quad Core processor
2300 mAh battery
Front facing stereo speakers

The new iPhone 6 will be coming out this month with a price tag of $869 for the 16gb model or $999 for the 64gb model.
The HTC One came out in March 2013 and can be bought, brand new, right now for $470 (32gb) or $494 for the 64gb model.

Personally I will be getting a Note 4.

(iPhone 6 Plus) $999:
5.5" Full HD screen
1.2Ghz dual core processor
1gb RAM
8MP camera with OIS
16gb storage with no memory card slot
2300 mAh battery (speculation)

Vs.

(Note 4) $824:
5.7" Quad HD screen
2.7Ghz quad core processor OR 1.9Ghz octa core processor
3gb RAM
16MP camera with OIS
32gb storage with an expandable micro SD card slot
3220 mAh battery

Whatislove:
snipped for size

You would think Apple where just getting lazy because they know people will still buy the phones anyway, these phones would be forgiveable and even reasonable at half the price but there is not a lot of phone for the money here.

J Tyran:

Whatislove:
snipped for size

You would think Apple where just getting lazy because they know people will still buy the phones anyway, these phones would be forgiveable and even reasonable at half the price but there is not a lot of phone for the money here.

Exactly.

They aren't bad phones, per say, but they are horrendous for their price points.

They know millions of people are going to eat whatever shit they pump out every year so what's the point in even trying anymore.

It is such a minor upgrade from the 5S, they always claim "new" this and "new" that, but really it is a 5S with a 4.7" screen... and that's about it.

And the 5S was such a minor upgrade from the 5... They haven't tried anything even remotely risky since Tim Cook became CEO. Tim Cook is playing the ultimate safe, 'wait and see' game, and it will eventually blow up in his face.

On a side-note, it really irks me when people go on about the supposed quality of the iPhones, with their premium aluminum shell and all that BS. That expensive aluminium shell isn't as strong as you think it is. Belkin made a flip case that has a push pin for keeping shut, just from the users shutting their cases by means of the push pin, a huge dent was being left in the iPhone. This affected the 5 and 5S before Belkin redesigned the case.

The worst part about that is Belkin was the one that was essentially blamed for this, despite it really being Apple's poor quality materials. iPhones may be designed in California, but the parts are half samsung, half foxconn and they're put together by the same interns earning $1 a week in Taiwan as HTCs are. There is nothing about an iPhone that is superior quality, they are sure are good at making you think they are though.

I'll take a Faux leather removable back plate (or any removable back plate for that matter) over an easily dentable, non-removable paper-thin aluminium backing any day; If you want quality materials and build quality, you buy Nokia, that is one thing I can't fault Nokia on.

Whatislove:
snipped for obvious brevity

I just wanted to mention this, because eventually is going to try and make the argument, but comparing prices "On contract" is bullshit. More often than not, you're paying the full price of the phone, sometimes more, when you pay for one on contract. It's more honest and objective to argue prices when we're talking in terms of buying right out.

Phones from other companies tend to be cheaper when bought right out and, in the case of most of the Google devices, have the added benefit of being network unlocked, usable around the world. This is excluding the potential hardware and feature benefits.

As mentioned above, Apple devices would be reasonable if they weren't so grossly overpriced compared to the competition. This sentiment carries over, for me, in all of their products. Even MacOS, as a unix/Linux user, would be a great operating system if Apple made it widely available without being forced to buy their hardware.

Whatislove:
snipped for size

All of the flagship phones are guilty of being lukewarm upgrades compared to thier predecessors but that is generally counter balanced by them having a much more reasonable price point that quickly drops over the life span of the phone, Apple phones hold their high price and then start to disappear before they get cheaper. You're right about the quality too, why can HTC or Sony make "premium" phones that are made from metal and glass with high end hardware without jacking up the price? (dont even get me started with storage on Apple devices) They can do it because it doesn't cost much more in the first place, a polycarbonate back panel is about 5-10 cheaper at the manufacturing level than a glass one.

Waaghpowa:
I just wanted to mention this, because eventually is going to try and make the argument, but comparing prices "On contract" is bullshit. More often than not, you're paying the full price of the phone, sometimes more, when you pay for one on contract. It's more honest and objective to argue prices when we're talking in terms of buying right out..

Not exacctly, unless you are getting a top tier "everything unlimited" contract new flagship phones will also have an up front fee to account for the extra handset cost. When you get a contract you generally have the service fees + a subsidised finace plan for the cost of the phone.

If you grab a brand new Galaxy S5 or a Xperia Z2 you might have to pay 50-100 up front fee within three months or so of the phones launch, the latest iPhone will generally have a 200 upfront fee for the whole time its Apples flagship which drops down to 50 or so once the new Apple flagship is launched.

Waaghpowa:

Whatislove:
snipped for obvious brevity

I just wanted to mention this, because eventually is going to try and make the argument, but comparing prices "On contract" is bullshit. More often than not, you're paying the full price of the phone, sometimes more, when you pay for one on contract. It's more honest and objective to argue prices when we're talking in terms of buying right out.

Phones from other companies tend to be cheaper when bought right out and, in the case of most of the Google devices, have the added benefit of being network unlocked, usable around the world. This is excluding the potential hardware and feature benefits.

As mentioned above, Apple devices would be reasonable if they weren't so grossly overpriced compared to the competition. This sentiment carries over, for me, in all of their products. Even MacOS, as a unix/Linux user, would be a great operating system if Apple made it widely available without being forced to buy their hardware.

I always compare by outright prices (non-contract) and my prices are all Australia dollars.

The 16gb iPhone 6 is $869 AUD, 64gb $999, 128gb $1129.
The Plus starts at $999.

Basically one thousand dollars for a fixed 16gb, dual core, 1080p device is ludicrous.

J Tyran:

All of the flagship phones are guilty of being lukewarm upgrades compared to thier predecessors

I whole-heartedly agree, but in most cases when we are seeing new flagship devices, it is because their predecessors were already packed with all the best technology of the time, and the technology just isn't moving that fast to have massive upgrades in <12 months. They always seem to back themselves into a corner and try gimmicky stuff to add freshness (some of it works e.g water resistance, some of it doesn't work so well e.g 'ultra pixel' camera).

I do think that it is a problem with the mobile market at the moment, yearly flagships (or more), especially since most contracts (in Australia at least) are 24 months long.

The problem I have with Apple only making minor upgrades is that they clearly have room to move, they never back themselves into a corner. All the hardware they use is low-to-mid range. I mean, do they seriously expect us to believe they couldn't afford to put a 1080p screen in a device that starts at a price point of $869?

Whatislove:

J Tyran:

All of the flagship phones are guilty of being lukewarm upgrades compared to thier predecessors

I whole-heartedly agree, but in most cases when we are seeing new flagship devices, it is because their predecessors were already packed with all the best technology of the time, and the technology just isn't moving that fast to have massive upgrades in <12 months. They always seem to back themselves into a corner and try gimmicky stuff to add freshness (some of it works e.g water resistance, some of it doesn't work so well e.g 'ultra pixel' camera).

I do think that it is a problem with the mobile market at the moment, yearly flagships (or more), especially since most contracts (in Australia at least) are 24 months long.

The problem I have with Apple only making minor upgrades is that they clearly have room to move, they never back themselves into a corner. All the hardware they use is low-to-mid range. I mean, do they seriously expect us to believe they couldn't afford to put a 1080p screen in a device that starts at a price point of $869?

Totally, no excuse for a sub HD screen on any phone or tablet that costs more than 200. The thing is you think Apple would know that, it seems like a deliberate attempt at "tiering" the new lineup and making it less desirable. I guess that pixel density is enough and I think that for most phones 1920x1080/1200 is enough, the new LG G3 made a pretty poor example of why more is necessary to me anyway (maybe another phone might change my mind).

J Tyran:
Not exacctly, unless you are getting a top tier "everything unlimited" contract new flagship phones will also have an up front fee to account for the extra handset cost. When you get a contract you generally have the service fees + a subsidised finace plan for the cost of the phone.

If you grab a brand new Galaxy S5 or a Xperia Z2 you might have to pay 50-100 up front fee within three months or so of the phones launch, the latest iPhone will generally have a 200 upfront fee for the whole time its Apples flagship which drops down to 50 or so once the new Apple flagship is launched.

I was born in Canada, moved to Lansing Michigan USA for work, so my contract experience is really limited to those two countries. In my time in America, I've noticed how awful some on-contract plans are for phones.

In Canada, I could get a brand new Sony Xperia Z for $100 dollars, and the mobile plan would cost $50 dollars for 300+ minutes, unlimited text and 3 gigs data. The same thing in the US, when I was looking for a phone, was roughly $80+ a month, 2 years.

So say the plan was actually $50 a month, plus $200 for the phone, that's an extra $30 a month to pay off the rest of the phone. The cost of an Xperia Z is about $500-600. The monthly bill on for the phone would mean you're paying $700 for the phone at the end of 2 years (not including the $200 you spent initially). I bought a Nexus 5 for $400 and went with Ting mobile, who is entirely pay per usage based, so I end up paying way less than normal since they don't bill me for hypothetical minutes/date I may or may not use in it's entirety.

Granted, it could just be the area I live in, but I could get a better deal in Canada. So in my experience, you do sometimes pay more for the phone on contract. I'm fully willing to admit that I might be wrong, I'm just going off personal experience.

J Tyran:

I'd say it's a good thing that Apple doesn't really sell products so much as a lifestyle then.

Waaghpowa:

J Tyran:

I was born in Canada, moved to Lansing Michigan USA for work, so my contract experience is really limited to those two countries. In my time in America, I've noticed how awful some on-contract plans are for phones.

In Canada, I could get a brand new Sony Xperia Z for $100 dollars, and the mobile plan would cost $50 dollars for 300+ minutes, unlimited text and 3 gigs data. The same thing in the US, when I was looking for a phone, was roughly $80+ a month, 2 years.

So say the plan was actually $50 a month, plus $200 for the phone, that's an extra $30 a month to pay off the rest of the phone. The cost of an Xperia Z is about $500-600. The monthly bill on for the phone would mean you're paying $700 for the phone at the end of 2 years (not including the $200 you spent initially). I bought a Nexus 5 for $400 and went with Ting mobile, who is entirely pay per usage based, so I end up paying way less than normal since they don't bill me for hypothetical minutes/date I may or may not use in it's entirety.

Granted, it could just be the area I live in, but I could get a better deal in Canada. So in my experience, you do sometimes pay more for the phone on contract. I'm fully willing to admit that I might be wrong, I'm just going off personal experience.

Those prices are not too bad, you always have to be careful with the network providers and watch how much you are actually paying. A lot of people get sucked into actually believing that the "free" phone is genuinely free when its not, you are essentially getting a finance package for the cost of the phone.

I have heard good things about Ting, quite a few of the tech sites recommend the service over there. There are only two reasons I stick with contract phones personally (I stopped for years), the first is that I get them a bit cheaper from one of the providers as I have TV and Broadband with them as well as some extra services like free insurance and the second reason is the data. I use a lot of it and its cheaper to pay 40 per month to have unlimited data caps along with (incidental to my needs) unlimited calls and texts, I also get a new flagship every two years which is nice too.

Zachary Amaranth:

J Tyran:

I'd say it's a good thing that Apple doesn't really sell products so much as a lifestyle then.

If you say so, I will take your word for it as I do not even know what thats supposed to mean. Did it come out of one of the Apple flyers or something?

Uh... Just because apple finally did a touchless payment system means nothing. Credit cards have had the ability for years and still most cards don't come with it, android has had it and nobody used it. You need to get the credit card processing companies on board to make the tap to pay readers common before it can become worthwhile and even then...

Hmmm... Yep, I think I'll just keep doing what I've been doing and stick with a flip phone

Zachary Amaranth:

J Tyran:

And apparently "burning money mindlessly" is a lifestyle that suits a lot of people.

loa:

And apparently "burning money mindlessly" is a lifestyle that suits a lot of people.

Yeah, but that isn't even just a Apple thing. Look at consoles. We had one of the biggest console launches ever. People piled on two gaming consoles with virtually no games lined up.

I've always liked Apple handhelds (their computers are god awful) simply for their user interfaces, but I think my iPhone 4S is the last product I buy from them. I was interested in the 6 Plus version since a phablet would make a fine replacement for both my phone and my tablet, but the Note 4 looks superior in pretty much every aspect.

I am seriously consider getting the iPhone 6 because

1. My HTC 7 Mozart is getting a bit long in the tooth

2. Everyone else in my family has an iPhone.

3. Based on my experience iOS products just work.

I have been a diehard Android fanboy since the days of the HTC Desire. I've been getting Android phones pretty much ever since, I've done plenty of rootkitting and flashing OSes that did what I wanted more, and I have the Andy Android sticker on the back of my car.

I was also one of the first in line to preorder an iPhone 6.

The current joke going around is that Apple have finally reached 2012, but to me they just removed every gripe that prevented me from buying the previous models, most notably the tiny screens. They may not have the most pointlessly powerful specs out there but I appreciate that Tim Cook is actually looking at what people want in their devices, he's not doing the Steve Jobs thing where he would just dismiss what people asked for and tell them what they "really" wanted. The new approach seems to involve actually seeing what would improve the user experience and I'm happy to get behind that.

There's also the fact that most of my media is on iTunes now. It's kind of sinister, really. You get that one album or TV show on iTunes because it's cheaper than buying it from a store, and before you know it you're getting everything off of it. Gradually the hardware starts creeping in; an iPod for your car, an iPad for watching stuff lounging around the house, an Apple TV for when friends come over. And you know what? With how simple and slick it all is, I really don't mind at all.

So I guess the iPhone 6 will be my final step to Apple Borg-ification. I take solace in the fact that I go not as some ignorant fanboy but rather someone who just wants the level of convenience it offers. Just don't expect me not to jailbreak the heck out of it should I find a missing feature that I want.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here