The Treadmill

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

The Treadmill

Gotta' meet the quota.

Read Full Article

Link to the Legendary Engram Twitter is borked. EDIT: Fixed now.
Erin looks rather...serene for a person who's firmly tied to a hopeless addiction.

I told myself a million times, don't get on the "hype-wagon". Wait for the reviews, ask friends who own the game if it's good or not. Did I learn? no...Do I regret spending money on Destiny? yes

I'm addicted to the skinnerbox, what can I say? *snifffffff* Dude, dude dude, Ioncetotallygotthisepicengramandmybudswerelike"NO WHEH"andIwaslike"WHOOOOAH"soIhadittranslatedandturnsoutIcan'tuseitforanother10LEVELS!*snifffffff*/passes out

LenticularHomicide:
Link to the Legendary Engram Twitter is borked.
Erin looks rather...serene for a person who's firmly tied to a hopeless addiction.

The link should be fixed!

I probably would have bought this if it had been on PC. Dodged a bullet there I think.

Destiny? What's that?
There is only one drug out there.
Minecraft
Please, someone save me from myself :(

I'm trying to figure this out myself. The game is shite, yes? But the argument, whether legit or people just trying to justify wasting their money, is that it's really an MMO...but how does this excuse a crappy first showing? Even MMOs need to come out swinging if they want to be able to stick around. From what I've heard Destiny is more like...like a...wow I can't even come up with a funny or good comparison. Something limp and wet, like seeing The Flintstones when you paid to see The Raid 2.

Yep, pretty much the general impression I've gotten after a couple weeks of play now. I'm not generally so harsh in my critique because all that negativity requires energy (energy better spend farming for MOTHERFUCKING LEGENDARY ENGRAMS). It's been along time since I last played a game where the bare bones gameplay was tight enough to keep me going despite laughable excuses at story and a deep lack of mission structure variety. Additionally, group play is addictive, and I say that as an almost strictly single-player gamer. Jump in a clan, hop online with a buddy, and let the madness ensue. I know the general rule of thumb is anything can be fun with a buddy, but that's a known fallacy, a good team design promotes team play. So... Destiny exists in a strange purgatory. There exists the possibility that out and out gangbuster set of DLC will alleviate many, if not all of my concerns, but that DLC better be hella cheap, with an immense content/cost ratio to avoid another round of public backlash. Or perhaps we have an Assassin's Creed on our hand where the numerous sins of the original are corrected in the sequel.

But yeah, 8 out of 10, would do another line

Ooh, Velocity 2X looks really good. Thanks, people!

...And Borderlands 2 is great!

blackrave:
Destiny? What's that?
There is only one drug out there.
Minecraft
Please, someone save me from myself :(

Thou shalt be glad thateth thee hast not fallen into ye trap known as tvtropes!

Even moreso that thee hast not yet read the ye olde butcherede englishe entry as thou canst no doubt discern I haveth, zounds!

I'm usually very critical and negative about video games.

I just can't make the effort for Destiny. It's just so mediocre, I can't highlight anything bad. Or good. I can't highlight anything at all.
Something/10.

Because Destiny seems completely bland, let's discuss more important topics.

What does cocaine smell like? Just out of interest.

$70?! what to fuck? why does it cost more than the other games?

Well glad i jump off the hype train when they started showing real gameplay. Save me some money best spent on Stronghold: Crusader 2 :P

Ya...no it fails hard so I will pass. Its a MMO and I hate the grindy nature of MMOs without heavy customization a MMO is not worth playing.

From what I've seen of it, calling Destiny an MMO is kind of a shot at MMOs. Like at one point they could do whatever and what could you do? They were the only ones of their kind. But these days the few that actually remain after launch usually have some stuff to them that doesn't make you feel like you're in a halfway house for junkies. Destiny looks like all the seriousness of Borderlands, all the finesse of Global Agenda and none of what anybody expected.

Weird. I kinda miss Global Agenda now. But not enough to re-install. :T

I get the feeling this is going to be remembered as the year of disappointing overhyped games, thankfully smash bros is almost certainly going to be good so this year won't be a complete disappointment.

Dying_Jester:
The game is shite, yes?

I don't know anyone that has called it shit that has played it, just nothing special(except Dunkey, but that's his thing). The game is an alright shooter with lots of room to improve. Nothing to get into if you aren't already sucked in just yet, but it works if you already play it.

A galling lack of content for a $70 dollar game? Let's see....6-7 hour story mode and 10 multiplayer maps <11 if you're on PS4>? Sounds like...you know.....every Call of Duty or Battlefield game released in the past 5 years? I suppose all those are shite too.

Personally, I'm /not/ a fan of the latter two series, but I'm enjoying Destiny. Does it live up to the hype? No, but I find it enjoyable. Obviously, YMMV but let's not forget that the amount of content in the game is about standard for a modern FPS these days. That's a sad commentary on gaming, but true nonetheless.

Not to toot my own horn but... wait, I said that wrong. To toot my own horn, I saw this coming from day 1; I am flabbergasted that so many people bought into Bungie and Microsoft's bullshit.

What, precisely, about Destiny's eight-million fucking trailers ever suggested it was anything more than a soulless, design by committee checklist of popular MMO and FPS (The two most saturated genres in the modern gaming industry) elements?

The worst part about Destiny is that's a mediocre WoW clone that doesn't have the mediocre WoW gameplay (just mediocre FPS gameplay) so it can't crash and burn to teach the company who made it a lesson that high-budget WoW clones are terrible ideas. This should have gone the way of TESO or TOR.

Norithics:

Weird. I kinda miss Global Agenda now. But not enough to re-install. :T

Well I can help you relive the experience! Buggy as hell, no updates, and a constant grind of dailies, dungeons, and arenas after like level 27. That close enough?

I am loving the fact that this was hyped like the second coming of chirst for video games, and it's turned out to be this big meh coloured meh. I'm so smug it's like I'm driving a prius over here.

ToastiestZombie:
The worst part about Destiny is that's a mediocre WoW clone that doesn't have the mediocre WoW gameplay (just mediocre FPS gameplay) so it can't crash and burn to teach the company who made it a lesson that high-budget WoW clones are terrible ideas. This should have gone the way of TESO or TOR.

What I think is the saddest part is that this, TESO, TOR, and many of those other WoW clones could have been perfectly good games in their own right if they had been designed around being a single player experience instead of falling into this obsession with trying to turn anything and everything into MMOs and thus force MMO mechanics and pacing into the game didn't get in the way. In particular, TOR and STO could have been AMAZING, possibly the best games to ever come out for each IP if they didn't try to make them MMOs.

St. Aidan:
I am loving the fact that this was hyped like the second coming of chirst for video games, and it's turned out to be this big meh coloured meh. I'm so smug it's like I'm driving a prius over here.

Do you love the smell of your own farts too?

Strife2k7:
A galling lack of content for a $70 dollar game? Let's see....6-7 hour story mode and 10 multiplayer maps <11 if you're on PS4>? Sounds like...you know.....every Call of Duty or Battlefield game released in the past 5 years? I suppose all those are shite too.

Can't speak for Battlefield, but Call of Duty used to give you a really fun, if a bit short, campaign to play through. So for that 6-7 hours, it was a blast....and I'd still rather play 6-7 hours of awesome rather then 20 hours of "It's okay".

Destiny's actually the first game for quite a while that's been able to stifle my raging League addiction for over a week. I mean, I can see all the criticisms people are levelling, and they're not wrong. But at the same time, it seems Destiny can't really win. People call it out on all the stupid MMO tropes which would be given a pass if it was a traditional MMO, because it's an action shooter. Simultaneously, people call it short, even though if it was an action shooter it would be a long one, because now it's not a long shooter, it's a short MMO.

As I said, I see the shortcomings clearly, but it's worth remembering that Jim gave it 3/5 stars and still admitted he would likely come back for more. That's the key for me, I only get a couple of hours a day to game and when they come, I'm always eager to come back for more. And not because I'm grinding for loot, because I'm having fun.

DTWolfwood:
$70?! what to fuck? why does it cost more than the other games?

Well glad i jump off the hype train when they started showing real gameplay. Save me some money best spent on Stronghold: Crusader 2 :P

Destiny costs $70 because the developer/publisher wants more money. Duh. On a more serious note if I had to hazard a guess about the price tag it's there to recoup some of the games ridiculous advertising budget.

Gonna be honest... I never really understood where the hype for this game came from. No, this isn't me being a smug jackass (we've got enough of those), I legitimately didn't really get it. I tried, but no matter how many trailers I saw, I didn't see much to get too excited about except for the fact that it was made by Bungie. So now with all this news coming out about how the game is merely decent, my inner response is a simple "Yeah, so?"

Edit*
In other news, so an uncharacteristic post of apathy is my 420th one, eh? I'd make a joke, but I think I'd rather just eat a bag of chips and go to sleep....

sumanoskae:
Not to toot my own horn but... wait, I said that wrong. To toot my own horn, I saw this coming from day 1; I am flabbergasted that so many people bought into Bungie and Microsoft's bullshit.

What, precisely, about Destiny's eight-million fucking trailers ever suggested it was anything more than a soulless, design by committee checklist of popular MMO and FPS (The two most saturated genres in the modern gaming industry) elements?

Actually it's Bungie and Activision, not Microsoft. If it was Microsoft then Destiny would have been Xbone exclusive and I wouldn't be enjoying the hell out of it right now.

OT: I honestly don't care what everyone else keeps saying about the game. I like it, I'm having fun playing it (especially with my friends) I don't think it's bad, it's not the best game I've ever played but it's still a good time and I look forward to whatever Bungie's plans are for this game in the future.

immortalfrieza:
[quote="ToastiestZombie" post="6.861068.21415637"]
What I think is the saddest part is that this, TESO, TOR, and many of those other WoW clones could have been perfectly good games in their own right if they had been designed around being a single player experience instead of falling into this obsession with trying to turn anything and everything into MMOs and thus force MMO mechanics and pacing into the game didn't get in the way. In particular, TOR and STO could have been AMAZING, possibly the best games to ever come out for each IP if they didn't try to make them MMOs.

I can't speak for TOR, but I'm VERY certain that TESO is nowhere near a WoW clone. Do they both have the same type of world? Yes. Are they both MMOs? Also yes. Do they both have a subscription? Yet again, yes. Do they have the same type of combat system? Of course not. ESO forces you to take a more active role in combat but actually looking at what you're targeting, instead of relying on using tab to lock on. Also, if you miss, it's your fault or a player managed to roll out of the way, not RNG deciding that for you. Also, based on my experience with Everquest 2 years ago (which, from my admittedly little experience with WoW, seems far more similar to WoW and thus until told specific differences, I'll use to base thoughts on WoW over it), the world seems much more alive than your standard MMO. You can ask questions, talk to random non-quest-giving NPCs, and even notice that NPCs you can't enter dialogue with have names of their own very often.

TL;DR: TESO is not a WoW clone, please don't call it that.

I'm annoyed by Destiny's advertising, that they don't come out and admit that it's an MMORPG, making it look like a a HALO-ish FPS that just so happens to have multiplayer. Well, I didn't watch any demos of it from E3, which would have helped big time.

i really liked destiny but i can see why people would't like it
thing is that was it as good as the hyped said no is it good yes

It probably helps that I purposefully ignored and avoided the hype, but I'm quite enjoying Destiny so far. It definitely has its problems, I hate the Grimoire as a lore delivery thing, bosses tend to have far too many hitpoints and Legendary drops are indeed very random in who they choose to appear for (I've gotten two so far, both from doing Crucible stuff and one of which my character could actually use). For me at least these problems don't ruin the game though.

I do find the shooting very fun, the enemies could be more varied in each faction but each faction is enjoyable to shoot (cabal are probably my favorite just because of how satisfying it is to topple them). The supers are all extremely fun to use especially in multiplayer, which is itself a blast to play. So yeah I've been playing with a couple of friends and its a blast so far, does it live up to the absurd hype it made for itself? No of course not, nothing could, but its a fun game in its own right and I don't feel like my money was wasted.

I rather like it; I've spent more hours than I should have playing in fireteams, doing strikes and generally arsing about.

I find the people qqing about legendary drops the most hilarious though: games been out little over a week and you feel you should have an inventory full of what is supposed to be the rarest of the items? K.

*hides in the corner enjoying his FPS MMO game.
The level of hate for the game baffles me. Just don't get it because I'm enjoying the heck out of it and can't wait for more content..

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here