Doctor Who Review: Time Travel Makes Bank Robbing Easy

Doctor Who Review: Time Travel Makes Bank Robbing Easy

Time Heist makes us wonder why Doctor Who hasn't tried to rob a bank before.

Read Full Article

Psy doesn't just "think guilty thoughts" - he downloads a bunch of criminal records into his mind, thus giving him a huge amount of guilt (which also allowed for a few cheeky references, like a Slitheen, a Weevil and - most hilariously - Captain John Hart from Torchwood).

I thought this weeks was the weakest yet. It was trying to be those 60's caper movies but without having the necessary cool to bring it off. At the heart of the caper movie is lead actors who are just cool. Ocean's 11 (the original not the crappy remake) had Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin Sammy Davis Jr and TV's first joker, Cesar Romero. The cast was so cool they had to heat the set to avoid frostbite. Cary Grant's was in many caper films and was co cool that George Clooney makes a decent living out of stealing his act 30 years after he died. They had the corridors and camera angles of point blank but without the intense presence of Lee Marvin doing his FYT walk to complete the image. To me the story didn't work and just felt like a pale pastiche of heist movie. It just wasn't cool.

Not the best episode but still better than the stuff we have had over the last few weeks. At least it focused on the Doctor. Unfortunatly the trailer for next weeks episode looks like we are back to The Amazing Clara Show and her time traveling sidekick.

I liked it, didn't love it. it was fun, but it felt like it was playing it too safe and predictable.

It was definitely a good episode. Maybe not great, but certainly enjoyable and makes last week's episode look like less of a fluke. While certain twists were fairly obvious, I think it had enough genuine surprises to work.

I LOVED This episode.

The doctor is placed back into his rightful role of being a magnificent bastard, and guess what?

except the brain melt people.

But seriously, it's actually got a really nice happy ending to it. I saw the teleport thing coming, but not the guard switch and the architects identity (I was honestly expecting the master or the new missy to be the architect.)

Next episode looks... interesting. It's a companion based episode but hopefully getting it over with will add a new dynamic (Danny) to the Doctors adventures.

rosac:
except the brain melt people.

And the clone, presumably.

And anyone else that didn't get away before the storm destroys the entire facility, though you never see this.

Oh, and the people in the footage being incinerated. Of course, this wasn't really brought up again, they mostly used the Teller on people.

I just loved he fact the narrator of the Stanley Parable was the voice of the bank's computer

Did anyone not pick the architect in like 30 seconds?

ElMinotoro:
Did anyone not pick the architect in like 30 seconds?

Nah I thought it was going to be this guy.
Inevitably, I was concurrently proven incorrect as well as entertained upon the episode's conclusion. This has not been the first time that this has happened.

Loved the ep and I loved how they took a shot at his neck wear. Bow ties are now embarrassing :D

"Robbin' a bank, robbin' a whooole bank."

Wonderfully fun episode.

Veldie:
Loved the ep and I loved how they took a shot at his neck wear. Bow ties are now embarrassing :D

"Do you think this new outfit is a bit much? I was going for a more stripped down look, but I think I ended up with stage magician."

I liked that part.

This has been bothering me for weeks now, has no one else noticed it yet?

I think it was my favorite episode of Season 8 to date. Sure it cheated and conned us (When, in the past, has being teleported caused travelers to scream like that?) I love Capaldi as the Doctor but people need to remember that being around the doctor is supposed to be mostly fun. That fun can be interrupted by a crisis but the point is supposed to still be travel time and universe for the wonder of it all.

Otherwise, its a bad, low paying, dangerous job. One shouldn't bother.

Nobody caught the bit "Robbing a bank. Robbing a whole bank. Beat that for a date"? The bank and all its treasures weren't lost in the storm (or nova or whatever it was.) The bank is now in the TARDIS. The Doctor robbed the whole bank. Nothing was lost.

albino boo:
I thought this weeks was the weakest yet. It was trying to be those 60's caper movies but without having the necessary cool to bring it off.

While I'd agree with this sentiment, it wasn't my biggest problem with the episode. The incredibly stiff, stilted transitions between scenes was, that and the flat-even-by-Doctor-Who-supporting-character-standards Psi and Saibra. It felt very much like a "tell, don't show" episode when it comes to the characters, which is not how one does compelling entertainment. It seemed like an episode that was a little too long and suffered some savage cutting in the edit room to make it down to size.

Gizmo1990:
Not the best episode but still better than the stuff we have had over the last few weeks. At least it focused on the Doctor. Unfortunatly the trailer for next weeks episode looks like we are back to The Amazing Clara Show and her time traveling sidekick.

Yeah it was nice to see the focus shifted back to the Doctor (The show is called "Doctor Who" after all). As much as I like Clara I'm not looking forward to an episode of the "Clara Oswald Show."

canadamus_prime:

Gizmo1990:

Yeah it was nice to see the focus shifted back to the Doctor (The show is called "Doctor Who" after all). As much as I like Clara I'm not looking forward to an episode of the "Clara Oswald Show."

Unfortunately I think it is only going to get worse once the new guy starts traveling in the Tardis. I know we have not had much time with the guy yet but as boring as I find Clara, he is worse. Moffat seems to have such all consuming love for Clara that at this point it would not surprise me if her and new guy (I don't remember his name, he is not interesting enough for that) get sent back in time to Galifray, somehow become Time Lords and end up as the Doctor's Mum and Dad.

Someone pointed out to me that the focus is on the companions because the show is for kids and kids need someone to identify with. I would argue that classic Who did this perfectly fine without making the companions front and center. I would also say that a show cannot claim to aim at children and then air at 8:30 as it will this week.

As the series is not finished yet I cannot say this is 100% but I am starting to feel like we were misled abit with this series. From the way the 50th and christmas special went as well as stuff said in interveiws, I was under the impression that we would have a series of the Doctor exploring who he really is, struggling with his past decisions and figure out if he truly is a good man while looking for Galifray. Instead he seems to have stopped all that so he can arse around with Robin Hood.

Yeah, this was a tremendously entertaining episode! Not much room for character, but the plot moved a great pace.

The main villain was also interesting and had sincere tragedy by the end.

Gizmo1990:

canadamus_prime:

Gizmo1990:

Unfortunately I think it is only going to get worse once the new guy starts traveling in the Tardis. I know we have not had much time with the guy yet but as boring as I find Clara, he is worse. Moffat seems to have such all consuming love for Clara that at this point it would not surprise me if her and new guy (I don't remember his name, he is not interesting enough for that) get sent back in time to Galifray, somehow become Time Lords and end up as the Doctor's Mum and Dad.

Someone pointed out to me that the focus is on the companions because the show is for kids and kids need someone to identify with. I would argue that classic Who did this perfectly fine without making the companions front and center. I would also say that a show cannot claim to aim at children and then air at 8:30 as it will this week.

As the series is not finished yet I cannot say this is 100% but I am starting to feel like we were misled abit with this series. From the way the 50th and christmas special went as well as stuff said in interveiws, I was under the impression that we would have a series of the Doctor exploring who he really is, struggling with his past decisions and figure out if he truly is a good man while looking for Galifray. Instead he seems to have stopped all that so he can arse around with Robin Hood.

New guy? Do you mean Mr. Pink? Oh god I hope he doesn't start traveling around with the Doctor too. That'd be painful.
I was also under the impression that we'd be exploring the possibility of Galifray still being around somewhere and possibly restoring the Time Lords. Not that I really want to see that as I think it's a lot more interesting when the Doctor is the only one, but still I thought that's what we were going with for this next season/series.

best ep of this season so far but its gone from must see show to something ill watch when i get around to it. i never thought dr who would loose me like this.

canadamus_prime:

Gizmo1990:

Moffat's still much better than Davies in this regard. Davies gave the companions their own supporting cast. There are many people who put forth the first two series could have been called "Rose", because it was about her meeting up with this dreamy time traveler who helped her find a direction in life. The show is more of a partnership these days, but the Doctor is always the senior partner.

Just want to add. that us Canadians can watch the new who. (for free) on space.ca if anyone didn't know

Just want to add. that us Canadians can watch the new who. (for free) on space.ca if anyone didn't know

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here