Jimquisition: The King of Crap Steam Publishers

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

The King of Crap Steam Publishers

Ever heard of Strategy First? You're almost certain to have heard of some of its shameful PC games ... it's had more than most!

Watch Video

I have a better, alternate name for them: Quality Last.

Why no Zen Fish gameplay? Or was that published by someone equally terrible?

Fappy:

Those are the Air Control guys. To date, IronGames (formerly Killjoy) have the two worst ever games on Steam. However, they don't have the sheer volume and saturation that StratFirst has.

Good thing the shit sinks to the bottom on store pages...what I'd like to see is a better review system than binary that users can assign and a working tag system so that you filter anything out with the globally accepted tags "shit","Garbage","Waste","Refuse","Time Murderers","Scam",etc.

Jimothy Sterling:

Fappy:

Those are the Air Control guys. To date, IronGames (formerly Killjoy) have the two worst ever games on Steam. However, they don't have the sheer volume and saturation that StratFirst has.

I find it shocking that Steam still hasn't addressed any of these damning complaints. Do you know if they've been feeling the pressure since you and some others have come out and criticized them for their shitty quality control?

I really hope they get the message eventually, but part of me worries they just don't give a shit.

Strategy First published Perimeter 2. That's how you know that game is shit.

I feel like steam is trying to be an app store and less of a video game purveyor.
class it up steam, come on.

Oh thank JIM!

I've seen StratFirst dumping their nasty leavings onto Steam for a while now and I was wondering when someone was going to come along and start calling them out on their shit. I first heard about them all the way back in 2002 when they picked up the online distribution deal for Jagged Alliance 2. They started off as sort of a poor-man's Steam where people could go to their website and buy games, download the installer package, and go from there, but then Steam dropped and their services were quickly forgotten. Since then it looks like they've been acting as a cheapo "distributor" for bargain bin trash games that were too bad/lazy to get Kickstarter/Early Access/etc working and too shitty for any other "publisher" to pick up. So StratFirst picks these games up for a dime, uses their grandfathered status to dump them onto Steam, and then pockets the couple of hundred bucks they make on each game, sending a cut back to the developer only after their game has sold a requisite number of copies. If their game doesn't sell enough copies to beat whatever was set in their contract, then StratFirst keeps all of the sales money. It wouldn't work if they only did it for a few games, but they release dozens of games each month, flooding the Steam marketplace with all sorts of crap that wouldn't pass muster for any other publisher.

Sigh... Thanks again for bringing this up, Jim!

From what I've heard Strategy First has a history of not paying developers either[1], or otherwise screwing around with them [2], the onus is on Steam really to take action and keep some semblance of quality in their store. Until then, best to avoid this publisher altogether.

But the free market. People obviously want shit games, something something.

1nfinite_Cros5:

Howabout quality never, because I don't think "last" is accurate.

Steam is a cash grab now they have the punching weight to bully publishers to fill their sales,they don't do anything now except fill their store with so much shit hoping people will buy and they get their cut.

So basically, this week's episode is dedicated to "Steam's LJN".

1nfinite_Cros5:

From what I've seen, we need to invent a new word that accurately depicts all the sins of hummanity concentrated into a horrendous slush that blurts out racial slurs. That'd be the proper name

Fappy:

What the funking waggles is Zen Fish, dare I ask?

I wonder if steam will implement a way to ignore publishers so their products never show up in your UI ever.

All the examples in video looks like "Babby's First Video Game", so it would appear that Strategy First's entire business strategy (heh) is acting as the biggest enabler for first time developers who just put together their very first game prototype in their spare time and, probably under the delusion that they can be the next Jonathan Blow, believes that it's good enough to be sold for actual currency.

PunkRex:

Fappy:

This masterpiece:

It's... so... beautiful....

gods I remember the squirty plays of those games...

For the love of gods Gaben: Do something about this!

What's really sad is Strategy First used to be a fairly decent publisher, something Montreal natives like me could be proud of. Over the last thirteen years or so, I've seen them go from trying to push decent strategy or turn-based titles to grabbing literally ANYTHING and sticking it up for sale on Steam. I'll admit that they've turned into high-class shit peddlers, but I suspect they're doing what they do just to keep existing as a publisher.

At this point, they're really better off closing their doors.

Wow I am actually pretty surprised at the sheer volume of crap this publisher has released. I suppose I am even more surprised on how quiet Valve have been despite the still increasing number of awful products on their storefront, in my case I have just gotten to the point where I hardly like even using Steam anymore to browse for games I might want to buy.

Fappy:

PunkRex:

Fappy:

This masterpiece:

It's... so... beautiful....

I actually found Jim's vid of it just now... great f*cking scot... the musics nice though, granted they probably stole it.

EDIT: Oh dear Christ they stole a track from the Bleach OST... and i'm fairly sure the menu music is a Ghibli piece.

There should be some way to get Steam to pull a publishers qualifications so they have to go through a green light process to get a game on Steam. Steam has to know that having a bunch of crap games lowers sales overall, because good games can't get the publicity needed to thrive and when someone is burned by a bad game, they are less likely to trust Steam in the future.

I never see this crap on the steam store front. I have to wonder what games you guys get recommended to you. Certainly never see this shit on the best selling list.

I never really noticed, but then I just ignore all the shit I'm not interested in.

Meh. I cannot get upset about something trivial like a publisher going to shit and Steam selling crap I wouldn't like.

Huh, I thought this was going to be about 505 Games, which you mentioned in your Steam Needs Quality Control video. Color me surprised.

But hey, 505 published Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons, so maybe they're not as completely terrible as Strategy First.

When Jim said "...tragic hero" I had a sort of skin crawling shock of recognition. I could almost hear those same words in a voice not unlike Stephen Merchant's with a big glowing blue eye.

Fappy:
I find it shocking that Steam still hasn't addressed any of these damning complaints. Do you know if they've been feeling the pressure since you and some others have come out and criticized them for their shitty quality control?

I really hope they get the message eventually, but part of me worries they just don't give a shit.

It's not shocking so much as it is tiresome and demoralizing. Like the evening news.

Zachary Amaranth:

Why do you hate America?

I am now a bit worried about looking at the Steam store. I rarely ever do so I wonder what I will find if Jim is to be believed.

Your love is well felt Jim and much appreciated. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjwZAa2EjKA&feature=youtu.be&t=58s

IamLEAM1983:
What's really sad is Strategy First used to be a fairly decent publisher, something Montreal natives like me could be proud of. Over the last thirteen years or so, I've seen them go from trying to push decent strategy or turn-based titles to grabbing literally ANYTHING and sticking it up for sale on Steam. I'll admit that they've turned into high-class shit peddlers, but I suspect they're doing what they do just to keep existing as a publisher.

At this point, they're really better off closing their doors.

Looking at their Wikipedia page, they've got a really impressive back catalogue. Sad that it's come to this.

bdcjacko:

Zachary Amaranth:

Why do you hate America?

Because of all the straight white males. They are all guilty of intentionally oppressing women, each and every one of them.

#patriarchy #sarcasm

Ugh...Really? I think I hate those guys more than the Air Control and Zen Fish sim guys now!

The worst part of this is that shit like this, this oversaturation of crap hurts actually good devs who are struggling right now!

For example, GoD Factory is a kickass PVP game with the most awesome developers ever, but it's struggling so hard to find a consistent playerbase because this flood of crap is preventing people from discovering it! >: (

Seriously, I hope that stragegy first make a severe copyright violation and get sued up the ASS into total bankruptcy. Finally a copyright takedown I could get behind. -_-

Zachary Amaranth:

1nfinite_Cros5:

Howabout quality never, because I don't think "last" is accurate.

How about Tragedy(Tragically)Cursed?

Well I'm glad this is the first time I've heard of them but I didn't think anyone was group was this dedicated to making crappy games on purpose except for EA. I'm kidding but damn Strategy is really awful aren't they.

Sometimes it feels like game devs are having their own competition of who can release the worst game on Steam. I mean, shovelware is one thing, but this is just absurd. The Wii pretty much died because of shovelware, but it didn't see nearly half of the crap hitting Steam, but then again it is Steam and Steam users will forgive everything wrong with Steam because Gaben.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here