The Big Picture: #WalrusNo - Why Tusk Is A Bad "Bad" Horror Movie

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

#WalrusNo - Why Tusk Is A Bad "Bad" Horror Movie

In advance of Schlocktober 2014, MovieBob takes apart Tusk, and why it's not that great of a "bad" horror movie.

Watch Video

...well this'll do nicely. Was super disappointed that last week's ETTM wasn't Tusk, but now we basically get a review of Tusk as well as early Schlocktober!

Hmmm... That's an odd phenomenon. How can one tell if one's trying to play it straight or in Kevin Smith's case, 'faking it'?

I could have done without ever knowing about Tusk.

MovieBob:

In advance of Schlocktober 2014, MovieBob takes apart Tusk, and why it's not that great of a "bad" horror movie.

Watch Video

I never understand why people want to watch stuff like the Room or Birdemic.

Call me a stiff but when I see something like that, I don't see humor, I see complete and utter incompetence that should not be given a slap on the back but a total thrashing. The Room is utterly horrible with poor acting, horrible pacing, plot points that pop in and out without any reason, and endless repetition.

Birdemic is worse since sound design and visual design is horrible, the actors sound phoned in and it just feels lazy.

If Tusk is as he said, then it's pointless media. A totally insular gag that is trying to be bad. Well if that's true than they have succeeded in ahving one less person give a damn about it.

In all seriousness, this was a wasted week Bob. The dislike of Kevin Smith is all well and good (and discussed at length) but as you said, Escapist has reviewed it already, so this really just feels like kicking a guy when he's down.

There were much better options out there for this weeks show.

This episode reminded me of Rubber, a film that I didn't watch, but heard about.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1612774/

It is about, I kid you not, a killing tire. Yeah, a common rubber tire, from a car.

Anyone watched it? Is it any good, or just another "emulating a bad movie" that ultimately feels fake?

Personally, I'm of the opinion that if something is "So Bad it's Good" like say, The Room, for instance, that doesn't mean it's always worth giving attention to... unless you're making fun of it, I guess.

I dunno, I guess I can't help but think that stupid ideas have become all-too prevalent in out media...

Anyway, can't wait for Shlocktober!

I swear by Shlocktober '15, you'll just be posting nothing but clips without any commentary.

A week of bonus Schlock? Bob, you shouldn't have.

Also, I can't tell what I'm getting more tired of: people who make bad horror movies to try and cash in on "so bad it's good", or people complaining about those movies. The two go hand in hand at this point, and it makes me want to watch nothing but weepy Oscar-bait and abandon my love of terrible horror just so I don't get into the same discussions over and over.

The whole "So bad it's good" thing is a bizarre phenomenon indeed, where despite all the obvious ineptness you can still see through it to this Ed Wood core of sincerity that makes everything all the stranger to watch. I'm just now getting into Deadly Premonition (PSA: $6 at the Humble Weekly Bundle till thursday) and much of it's charm works in the same way, everything's wrong, but assembled in a way where you can tell there's some kind of insane vision behind it all. It's amazing.

Bonus viewing:

Schlocktober already?? Jesus that went fast...

Big_Boss_Mantis:
This episode reminded me of Rubber, a film that I didn't watch, but heard about.

It is about, I kid you not, a killing tire. Yeah, a common rubber tire, from a car.

Anyone watched it? Is it any good, or just another "emulating a bad movie" that ultimately feels fake?

I haven't seen it myself, but I've heard a lot of people say it's actually pretty damn good.

I'm not really surprised that Tusk exists, The Human Centipede is so ridiculous that it's ripe for parody, but parody movies tend to suck because it's hard to stretch out the joke for a full movie (which begs the question 'why aren't there enough decent sketch shows anymore?').

Also, Justin Long is still in things?

Big_Boss_Mantis:

It's pretentious French drivel.

Couldn't finish this ep, fan of Smith, fan of his pods, saw tusk and loved it. Its like a Troma film on steroids. Kinda tired of the Smith bashing on this show. I get that Bob doesn't like him and to each his own. But do we really need to hop on the bash wagon every few weeks? you just did a 2 pt ep on why you hate the guy... let it go dude. He has a big following that you aren't a part of but that's why he does his new movies the way he does. His target audience is HIS audience and the way he is producing and releasing his films is a a unique/modern approach that I would not be surprised to see more film makers following (much akin to the folks utilizing kickstarter) Im not trying to bash Bob for not liking things I just think he rides this "I hate Smith cuz hes not the guy I wanted him to be" thing a bit to hard.

Please tell me that continuity mistake with the cup at about 4:10-4:20 is not in the finished film.

Izanagi009:

MovieBob:

Watch Video

I never understand why people want to watch stuff like the Room or Birdemic.

Call me a stiff but when I see something like that, I don't see humor, I see complete and utter incompetence that should not be given a slap on the back but a total thrashing. The Room is utterly horrible with poor acting, horrible pacing, plot points that pop in and out without any reason, and endless repetition.

Birdemic is worse since sound design and visual design is horrible, the actors sound phoned in and it just feels lazy.

If Tusk is as he said, then it's pointless media. A totally insular gag that is trying to be bad. Well if that's true than they have succeeded in ahving one less person give a damn about it.

I was going to say 'yeah, that's the point', but I know you get that. It's just the Absurdity that these things actually exist.

When one thinks about the process that it takes to get anything done in the world, you have to think about the red tape for anything. You want a good job? you need good grades from elementary school all the way to college to get that done. And even then, it's luck in this society. You want to be perceived as a good potential mate? You most of the time need above average looks, a good job, an universally easy to get along personality and what not.

Understanding how everything in our life has to go through hurdles and red tape... It is absolutely absurd that no one saw at any stage of these supposedly "serious" releases that all of this was drivel. In fact, near hundred or more people (the average it takes to get a low budget feature film out) thought it was good enough to put their names on this project.

someone wrote, pitched, and found financial backers to make these things published. People actually looked at different takes and decided that this dreck is worth enough to encapsulate their art and their vision. In a business that one misstep dooms you for life, it is mind bending to think that someone willingly hitched their wagon this these monstrosities.

The absurdity tickles me. I can understand if it's just bad to you. But when I think about the implications and the sheer time that someone took to polish this train wreck for actual positive critical praise... that idea can not stop me from laughing.

Big_Boss_Mantis:

I reviewed it and loved it.

http://www.the-numbers.com/news/6288

But I watch a ton of bad films that are bad in the same way, so anything new is a huge relief.

I assumed Bob skipped reviewing Tusk because he'd already said what he needed to say about Kevin Smith earlier, I didn't realize The Escapist had other people doing movie reviews. Actually, those aren't mutually exclusive.

I do think this was an interesting way of touching base with this movie while avoiding another discussion of Smith.

Yeah, there really is nothing quite like someone who genuinely feels/believes in their messed-up masterpiece as opposed to someone trying to recreate that same goofy, stupid, "who thought this up?!" style. It's kind of like how I like the quirky weirdness of Adventure Time as opposed to the quirky weirdness of Pinkie Pie in My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic; it's just so obvious that her dialogue was written by someone who went "Oh, this sounds weird, let's go with that." It's unnatural, and while Adventure Time definitely has weird lines that make no sense whatsoever, it somehow "makes sense" in context, and because it sounds like something that character would say as opposed to just throwing shit out there thinking it just sounds weird.

It's also why I don't believe Tommy Wiseau at all when he continuously tries to claim "The Room" was deliberately meant to be a comedy... Hell, I'm STILL trying to wrap my head around what the fuck that guy's thinking!

Getting a week early Schlocktober and a Wii U in the same seven day span? I'm in love.

Given that Tusk was rarely discussed in the video, I imagine more filler would have been used than last week's episode of ETTM, so this is a good thing.

It isn't even out yet in my part of the world, so I'll have to skip Big Picture this week. Maybe I'll remember to come back to it in a month or two or three or whenever I can actually see the movie. Will say right now though, that if Bob thinks this is bad in the same way that he thought Red State was, then I'm probably looking forward to one awesome, awesome movie.

Pretty much all I took away from that was "I don't like Kevin Smith, I don't like Kevin Smith, I don't like Kevin Smith, I don't like Kevin Smith, I don't like Kevin Smith" Ad Infinitum, Yada, Yada.

I think moviebob is a bit misguided here in the assertion that this is an intentional "bad" movie. It is intentionally messed up, intentionally goofy from time to time, and intentionally weird, but it's not intentionally "bad." At least you can't tell it on the screen. It takes itself fairly seriously (sometimes) with a really dark plot about infidelity and identity right at the center of it. Assuming that there's nothing here for people who don't know about Kevin Smith is an assumption coming from someone who knows all about Kevin Smith.

Daniel Janhagen:
It isn't even out yet in my part of the world, so I'll have to skip Big Picture this week. Maybe I'll remember to come back to it in a month or two or three or whenever I can actually see the movie. Will say right now though, that if Bob thinks this is bad in the same way that he thought Red State was, then I'm probably looking forward to one awesome, awesome movie.

That having been said, I think Red State is way way better than this movie. The review on the escapist is right on the money. Tusk has its moments, but overall there just isn't enough material to carry a feature length film. Smith tries to make it feel like a "real" movie (contrary to what moviebob says), but it feels like the plot is stretched very thin.

I'm just looking forward to Schlocktober because it means the pumpkin smilies are coming back! :D

Darth Sea Bass:
Pretty much all I took away from that was "I don't like Kevin Smith, I don't like Kevin Smith, I don't like Kevin Smith, I don't like Kevin Smith, I don't like Kevin Smith" Ad Infinitum, Yada, Yada.

While there certainly was plenty of that, I think the over-all point is that this is another movie that fails in a bad way because it's trying to fail in a good way. The "good" failings can only come when they're non-intentional. Case in point: The Room, perhaps the funniest-but-not-supposed-to-be-funny movie ever.

Edit: Oh, but I do have to correct Bob on one thing: Birdemic was supposed to be some environmentalist's way of spreading global warming awareness. I don't care what the creator said, even just trying to say "it was an homage to The Birds" is an insult to Hitchcock and everyone that ever enjoyed his work. :P

Sooo, basically...

Except in five minutes instead of 16? No, I get it. I think parody movies are typically just stupid. Sometimes they can be actually clever and even entertaining, but it just feels so pointless to watch. I'd rather watch the original thing they were making fun of. Even a straight faced movie trying to be wacky is something I can deal with, Sharknado(or anything from that awful fucking company), Tusk, any of those films that barely even commit to their own ideas just piss me off. In a way that Bob can understand it, it feels like the Amazing Spider-man movies, just a movie made by a committee. It's Call of Duty. It's NSMB. It's every WoW clone ever. It's just god awful trash that isn't even trying to be original or inventive or even fun. Fuck now I'm pissed.

MB202:
Yeah, there really is nothing quite like someone who genuinely feels/believes in their messed-up masterpiece as opposed to someone trying to recreate that same goofy, stupid, "who thought this up?!" style. It's kind of like how I like the quirky weirdness of Adventure Time as opposed to the quirky weirdness of Pinkie Pie in My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic; it's just so obvious that her dialogue was written by someone who went "Oh, this sounds weird, let's go with that." It's unnatural, and while Adventure Time definitely has weird lines that make no sense whatsoever, it somehow "makes sense" in context, and because it sounds like something that character would say as opposed to just throwing shit out there thinking it just sounds weird.

It's also why I don't believe Tommy Wiseau at all when he continuously tries to claim "The Room" was deliberately meant to be a comedy... Hell, I'm STILL trying to wrap my head around what the fuck that guy's thinking!

A man with a face like his is one I find hard to believe, if I could understand what the everliving fuck he says. I mean, did you look at it? That guy looks like he survived having a stroke!

Those birds, god damn... I want to see this movie now.

My understanding was that out of the core concept of "man becomes walrus" Smith was trying to make a serious horror film. I haven't really kept up with him post-Clerks 2 though (brief forray into some of the podcasts, and Red State is on my to watch list whenever I cba).

As for the complicated relationship angle; it still sounds like Smith got lucky and it just burns you up inside that he's living your dreams.

Earthfield:

Just watch the JonTron vid, actually sitting through that mess looks like freaking torture... when the guy starts talking about global warming my brain checks out like 'F*CK IT, I'M DONE!'

Big_Boss_Mantis:

I thought it was funny. Breaks the fourth wall constantly - the premise is that we're following a group of tourists that are basically watching a bad horror movie happen for real, live. Its less winking at the audience and more like directly speaking to them. It seemed like it was playing homage to a lot of these awful horror films and bad Sci-Fi channel movies, while at the same time trying to take them down a peg by pointing out how the concept for many is too ridiculous to ever take seriously, rather than trying to be one of those movies that is trying to be a bad horror movie. I was thoroughly entertained, but its not for people who can't stray away from the typical structured film, or else they'll be upset going "its too weird, I can't take it". Not a great film, not something I'm likely to seek out more in the future, but it left me happy and I wouldn't mind watching it again in the future.

PunkRex:

Earthfield:

Just watch the JonTron vid, actually sitting through that mess looks like freaking torture... when the guy starts talking about global warming my brain checks out like 'F*CK IT, I'M DONE!'

I'll take your word on that. Though, we have a tradition with my circle of friends to gather and watch terribad movies for giggles. Things like Sharknado, Project Philladelphia, Robo-Geisha, Machine-girl and such.

So I may watch JT vid, but still get the movie to watch with friends.

I remember seeing a preview for this movie when my friend and I saw Expendables 3. I turned to my friend and whispered, "Who the hell comes up with this stuff?" and not in the good, funny way.

If you don't like Tusk or Snakes on a Plane, that's fine. If you don't like Kevin Smith then that's fine too. But for Christ's sake don't waste everyone's time by inventing some nonsensical metric to justify that dislike. There are plenty of examples of creators trying to be bad and making good things: Machete, The Lost Skeleton of Cadavera, Garth Merenghi's Dark Place, Killer Klowns From Outer Space, Hobo With a Shotgun, almost every movie Troma has made since The Toxic Avenger, the entire discography of Dr. Hook and the Medicine Show, Planet Terror, Terrorvision, The Video Dead. Audacity and weirdness can be done by people who actually know what they're doing, too. I haven't seen Tusk yet but I already know it will be mug more watchable than The Room and Birdemic, which are both too boring to justify their continued popularity.

I think Kevin Smith should be apart of some kind of MovieBob drinking game.

From Smith;s own take on it, i don't think he was trying to make a "so bad its good" but rather trashy a'la Troma in that it's a film that know what it is and who its for (particularly his own audience and there's nothing technically wrong with that).

Come on Bob, I know you and us can't wait for Shlocktober and I even understand you're point (screw the Sharknado series) but some topics like Smith just get repetitive, more so since I thought the whole point of your multiple episode series on him was to put the pin in the subject...

...ah well, roll on October all the same.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here