Escapist Podcast - Science and Tech: 021: Airbus Stole Our Genius Idea and Filed a Patent!

021: Airbus Stole Our Genius Idea and Filed a Patent!

In this episode of The Escapist's Science and Tech podcast, host CJ Miozzi and Escapist writers talk about Airbus' new VR patent, NASA's return to manned space launches, the idea that aliens helped ancient humans achieve tremendous feats of engineering, and more.

Watch Video

Yet another example of Patent BS. Not only is it ridiculous that something like this is allowed to be Patent but it just goes to show Patents don't protect innovators, instead it protects those who know the legal system and are first to file.

If multiple people are working on a technology it doesn't matter who is further along, the person who is first to file wins. Similar to what happen with the laser where the guy who filed just had a concept yet another inventor already had a working prototype but had not filed.

On topic of present vs ancient people, archeologist have shown that modern humans have existed for over 200,000 years. A lot of similarities between civilizations could potentially be traced back to something older in a shared ancestory. In that time our physical traits have changed so it not unreasonable that a lot of the same stories were passed down verbally but changed to adapt the culture, much in the same way Hollywood remakes stuff.

When it comes to architecture it can easily be explained by the same forces that drive evolution, most efficient designs get used more. Pyramids are much easier to build than a tall multistory building. The toothpick bridge is a prime example of this. Kids experiment and because the triangle design works best other kids in the class will copy it as knowledge is shared. Then add in the elements as a building that is larger and more stable is likely to last longer so thousands of years later it's easier to find.

On topic of SG, I also recall mention of Ghoul simply acquiring the role of existing Gods. I'm pretty sure that's how the Movie was but don't think it's ever touched on that much in the show.

Spyre2k:
On topic of SG, I also recall mention of Ghoul simply acquiring the role of existing Gods. I'm pretty sure that's how the Movie was but don't think it's ever touched on that much in the show.

That is how I understood it as well, for even in the show they referenced a lot of the smaller "colonies" as Tau'ri which is what the call humans. Later in the show it changed, but I am pretty sure for the first few seasons it was that way until they started to encounter other species that looked human, but were more advanced.

Sanunes:
That is how I understood it as well, for even in the show they referenced a lot of the smaller "colonies" as Tau'ri which is what the call humans. Later in the show it changed, but I am pretty sure for the first few seasons it was that way until they started to encounter other species that looked human, but were more advanced.

Not sure which point your referring to it as changing. Even with races like Asgard it seemed like they copied Human Myths. The Asgard have a policy similar to the Prime Directive as they try to maintain the ruse of being Humanoid yet acted as protector and friend. That's what they seem to be going for though in the first two Episodes that involved Thor though, Thor's Hammer and Thor's Chariot I think were the episodes on that Norse Planet.

Thinking more on it the only ones that seemed like it was Humans interpreting act of Aliens as supernatural was when they started with the Ancients and Merlin. But even then I don't think it under mined human potential but instead highlighted it. Because the series then became, "we are the ancients", in that another group of humans evolved on Earth and explored the galaxy setting up all these stargates but then most died off in a plague. So it was within our potential to create a super advanced civilization that spanned the stars as well.

As for the other races they encountered that looked Human. I'm having trouble thinking of any that were not taken from Earth (Atlantis series excluded of course). Many of those civilizations were shown to have a link to whatever region of Earth they were from, if it was mentioned at all, but the reverse was not true. Those societies had no input on myths and legends of Earth.

It seemed more like they used that as a way to do alternate realities without going over board. Like in the first season they had Daniel travel to that alternate Earth and see how things turned out different. Well a great way to keep doing that sort of thing yet not get old is have other Human societies that the Ghuled had abandoned simply be at our tech level or more advanced. And the more advanced I think was nicely explained away by pointing to the Dark ages when scientific progress came to a crawl as the reason we were behind.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here