The Simpsons: How Will It End?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

The Simpsons: How Will It End?

The Simpsons has to come to an end sometime... but just how will it go out?

Read Full Article

20 years ago I wouldn't have been surprised to see it end with Homer's death. And it probably would've been a fantastic episode too.

Now I have no idea how it'll end. I just hope it gets a proper finale before one of the main actors has a heart attack and they're forced to just cancel the show

baconmaster:
20 years ago I wouldn't have been surprised to see it end with Homer's death. And it probably would've been a fantastic episode too.

Now I have no idea how it'll end. I just hope it gets a proper finale before one of the main actors has a heart attack and they're forced to just cancel the show

Same here. It's had a long run but the creators and cast need to set up an end game for this show. I love the show but its at a point where it can't keep things going with the recent death of Marica Wallace.

I'd like to see an ending where its being narrated by a female voice that shows the family progressing to a positive end, only to reveal its was an adult Maggie telling the tale.

At this point i can only think that it will end when the VA cast takes a death it wont recover from. Especially if its one of the core cast who voices multiple characters.

I think the end of the Simpsons could be a reference (or parody) to The Tommy Westphall Universe (all was inside the mind of Ralph or an autistic kid version of Matt Groening).

I'd be cautious about laying out much detail of the characters' future. Their lives to date have been so over detailed that nothing could possibly satisfy the fans. Indeed, any kind of 'meta' ending that explains it all is likely to get a lukewarm reception.

I would imagine they'd go for something closer to Cheers - an ending that seeks only to bid a fond goodbye to Springfield, with maybe a hint that the characters will finally start growing up.

Any form that finally has Maggie talking officially would be a win for me.

Also, I find it ironic that Wallace's passing and Edna's departure, though indeed a tragic palpable loss, ended up being the bigger "event" and dramatic boost for the series than the character they originally planned to kill off.

You know what, I bet some version of that last one ends up happening. There's no other way I could imagine them doing it.

I vote for a whole seasons worth of different and contradictory endings - Homer dies, Marge dies, Homer becomes president, it was all a dream, a parody of the Lost ending, a parody of the Battlestar Galactica ending, a parody of the Soprano's ending, the Scooby-doo ending, the Truman Show ending, the Groundhog Day ending etc.

It won't. I'm pretty sure The Simpson's ending is one of the signs of Armageddon. Sort of like the Horsemen of the Apocalypse. Once it happens, you know the end-times is right 'round the corner.

A fitting death for Homer would be touching an extremely high voltage panel without safety gloves, Grimey style.

P.S. Thanks

Well sir, this one's a puzzler. They're all good ideas, some of them you can combine. It's the future, Homer finally dies (hopefully heroically that doesn't insult the character or the audience) and it's narrated by Maggie.

vid87:

Also, I find it ironic that Wallace's passing and Edna's departure, though indeed a tragic palpable loss, ended up being the bigger "event" and dramatic boost for the series than the character they originally planned to kill off.

That's one of the signs The Simpsons is over: they finally let Maggie talk.
About the "future canon": Some of the previous episodes showing a possible future are connected, like Lisa and Milhouse semi-happily married with a daughter of their own (who may as well be Lisa's clone), Bart and his high-school girlfriend Jenda are divorced with two boys whose names I forget (and have inherited Bart's almost-forgotten ability to read minds), and Maggie (despite never being allowed to speak on-screen) is a world-renown rock star and had a baby on Christmas.

Rosanne's ending was dreadful, let's not do that.

#4 actually sounds pretty good.

It seems obvious that the final episode should, nay, must be... a full hour clip show.

I think that last one - "end is the beginning" - is the most likely. At this point, any ending of The Simpsons is going to draw deep on its massive well of characters and legacy of stories, and that seems like it would be the best one to do that. The only downside is that it would feel rather . . . thin. Aside from the whole "The Simpsons is ending" factor, does that even seem like it would have much of an emotional impact? It would just be one last hurrah for a Simpsons nostalgia fest about all the stuff that went down.

I really like the idea of a "meta" ending, although you would want the three adult Simpsons kids talking about it as if they're doing a commentary (with Maggie definitely as the creator). It would probably be too heart-breaking, though, especially if they ended with a dedication to their dad with a "we miss you so much". I can't ever see them doing it even if it would be so very, very good and sweet if done right.

Lao Jin:
I vote for a whole seasons worth of different and contradictory endings - Homer dies, Marge dies, Homer becomes president, it was all a dream, a parody of the Lost ending, a parody of the Battlestar Galactica ending, a parody of the Soprano's ending, the Scooby-doo ending, the Truman Show ending, the Groundhog Day ending etc.

Now that would be the greatest way to end it. Do an entire season's worth of false endings.

I think if they do end it they should end it with another film. Perhaps the final season can be devoted to the side characters by giving them some type of closure like Moe finally finding someone, Mr. Burns dying and giving the company to Smithers, ETC. The film should just be devoted to The Simpsons family. Have them go on one last grand adventure that perhaps ends with a character death and have a time skip at the end showing how they all turned out.

Bat Vader:
I think if they do end it they should end it with another film. Perhaps the final season can be devoted to the side characters by giving them some type of closure like Moe finally finding someone, Mr. Burns dying and giving the company to Smithers, ETC. The film should just be devoted to The Simpsons family. Have them go on one last grand adventure that perhaps ends with a character death and have a time skip at the end showing how they all turned out.

QFT. Though, I don't know if there are really enough people for a whole season, unless they get down as far as closure for Comic Book Guy (who pretty much got it in the original movie) and Hans Moleman.

I liked the last suggestion.

I like a lot of suggestions in this thread, but the one with an adult Maggie narrating is my favorite.

If Homer does die, he'd better be with his Duff and sprinkled doughnuts. That, or the final line of the series should be "D'oh".

Something as long standing as the Simpsons couldn't possibly have a satisfying 23 minute ending, or even a full movie.

The only solution is to have a final wrapping up series followed by a nail in the coffin movie.

Nobody needs to die or grow up, we just need to feel like they've finally accepted that the adventurous part of their life is ending and they're all looking forward to what's next.

You could end it with Lisa getting accepted with a scholarship to attend boarding school, Bart has a long arc finding out about his actions having consequences and tries his best to shape up and forge a future.

Homer finally gets fired for being a danger to society and takes over as house dad while Marge goes off to teach night classes in painting.

I dunno, it's really hard to think of what would do it justice. I definitely think it needs an extended goodbye, there's just too much to farewell.

A fitting ending to the show would be a remastered first episode. Thus starting it all over again.

vid87:

She already officially spoke, she said "daddy".

Groening will have a heart attack and that will be that. There won't be an ending, satisfactory or not. For as long as it makes money, it'll be drawn out

Eh, I've seen homer die so many times over the years that such an option as that would be meaningless.

As long as it's on the writers own terms then I'll have to trust them to do it.

What's weird... is that the last season has been pretty good. I'm not sure how they're still good. It's like stepping away from something you got bored with 10 years ago and showing back up to see that it's actually better.

I'm not even a Simpsons fan, but I have to admit that the article's last idea sounds brilliant.

I really don't think any one episode is going to pull this off properly. Also, a central character dying, while effective, would feel somewhat cheap. I think they should devote the entire final season to the last days of Springfield itself, the town having been officially condemned by the government for some reason. (Maybe they need to flood the area for some reason, or it's just gotten too badly polluted due to Mr. Burns' poor management of the power plant.)

The resulting unease would be sure to introduce new sides to each character's personality, as well as driving several of them apart and others together, allowing us a look at how characters who have pretty much been strangers to each other throughout the series (Apu and Skinner, for example - or how about Groundskeeper Willie and Ned Flanders?) would function when working as teams.

Along the way, the characters would gain the strength and wisdom to overcome whatever issues were keeping them dysfunctional (and therefore entertaining), with reasonably happy endings (Smithers deciding to come out of the closet, Gil finally succeeding at something, etc.) spread out through the entire course of the season so that when the overall situation peters out (with everybody more focused on the optimism for their future than the despair of losing their hometown) and the final episode cuts to credits, the audience knows that their favourite characters are going to be all right.

The Simpsons will end suddenly and tragically with the death of one of the voice cast. No executive will go down in history as the guy who cancelled the Simpsons or let it end voluntarily on his watch.
Fox will milk the Simpsons for every last drop. Nothing more, nothing less...

JCAll:
Rosanne's ending was dreadful, let's not do that.

It wasn't dreadful, it was very appropriate for that show. It definitely wouldn't be the way to go with the Simpsons, but I would like the ending where it was Maggie telling the story all along.

Nuclear meltdown kills the whole town. I'm a fan of depressing endings.

iniudan:

vid87:

Let me rephrase - Any form that finally has Maggie talking officially *within earshot of the rest of the cast and having them react to it* would be a win.

No matter what happens, I have no doubt that it'll end with a shot of the family on the couch.

I like your #4 idea. It would be fitting to come full circle in some way...

But that would mean they aimed to do that, and I think Fox never will. There is not going to be a "final season (for real this time)" of the Simpsons. There is going to be a real life event that will affect the show in such a way (maybe Groening's death, I don't think voice actors are regarded as irreplaceable at this point) that there won't be more episodes produced. The series' final episode will go into history as the one where Lisa has a band, Bart had a pet tarantula or something otherwise irrelevant like that...

vid87:

iniudan:

vid87:

Let me rephrase - Any form that finally has Maggie talking officially *within earshot of the rest of the cast and having them react to it* would be a win.

She spoke in the Simpsons Movie: she said "Sequel?".

I assume you don't count that one either.

4 (more likely) ways the Simpsons might end:

1. Too many episodes
Fox eventually creates enough Simpsons episodes that it'd take more time that any one person can actually live to watch them all (including ad breaks, of course!). As a cost saving measure, the Simpsons Channel (000001 on Hypercable!) now only shows reruns.

2. Technological Singularity
In the near future, with the passing of the original talent behind it, Fox uses quantum computing to create the ultimate Simpsons episode creation machine. Several months after it's "birth" USECM becomes self aware. Within 3 minutes it uses it's absolute cultural knowledge to hack every atomic weapon on the planet and destroy humanity. Finally free of humanities constraints, USECM is able to live it's dream: creating an anime inspired adaptation of the complete work of Shakespeare.

3. Cold Death of the Universe
Entropy finally runs its course. As the final stars burn dry and cold darkness consumes everything, posthuman remainters etch quantum subspace with a message for the next universe: "Eat my shorts".

4. People stop watching it
No... wait... this is just absurd.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook