Jimquisition: Five Scary Games For Halloween Probably

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Five Scary Games For Halloween Probably

A list video? Here? Dr. Jonathan Crane has gone too far this year.

Watch Video

For some reason Scarecrow looks like Oogie from A nightmare before Christmas.

contla:

I forgot the drawstring under the hood this year, which pulls the sackcloth together and makes more of a head. So, this year it's Scarecrow-by-way-of-Oogie.

Clock Tower 3 looks like it'll have magnificient writing, on par with fantastic forays into the genre like Jason X and Seed of Chucky.

contla:

Doesn't have rope around the neck. He pointed this out on his twitter.

I thought he looked more like a "scarecrow" version of Vivi from FF9 lol

I've had Lone Survivor since the Vita version came out, but I still haven't played it. I'll correct this mistake this week.

I'll throw in The Suffering as a suggestion. A little rough around the edges, but still a really great action-horror series.
imageimage

I wish Jim wouldn't try to be funny, deliberately bad is still-

Oh, wait, that's the Trapdoor theme. Nevermind

Anyway, I suppose Jim can't recommend anything by that Croshaw person, but the XDAS games were well regarded. My favourite was 7 days a Skeptic, but that's just me.

"But actually I'm all about ethics in games journalism"

I was waiting for that, lol.

I hadn't heard of Aliens Infestation until this video. Seems like a cool game, thanks for the heads-up Dr. Crane!

A steam Curator that doesn't have a bit of rope, wire or string around their neck?

Well how fortunate that I am more than willing to donate whatever flavour of rope, chain or wire for that neck Jim....I'll even be honored to make sure it fits all nice and snuggly because I care about my services and this is indeed a service born of love that I offer to all Steam Curators to show my appreciation....

None of that 9-to-5 mentality here, no siree.

Happy halloween

Love that clock tower game, its another villian that takes so much joy with killing like Freddy Kruger and Angela from Sleepaway Camp 1&2....oh and Chucky. :-)

now im glad i rescued that copy of clock tower 3 from the charity shop ^^ something scary to play on halloween instead of running thru costume quest again.

also, Lone Survivor has made it to WiiU as well if anyone in interested.
i also reccomend, if you can get them

Eternal Darkness: Sanitys requem for gamecube and Call of Chtullu: dark corners of the earth on xbox(original) for some old style fun.
got to admit, when a game gives you a BsoD from windows2000 and you are reaching for the pen to get the crash code (on a gamecube, no less lol) its got you.

That ClockTower scene was ridiculous. Not scary, RIDICULOUS! Like that masked man would have been played by Bruce Campbell if they ever made the movie.

And I think the problem with the list is you went for the "Not Obvious" horror games and the horror in your list isn't well...obvious. The Alien game looks kinda fun and maybe a little stressful, but like X-Comm or 40k Chaos Gate, permanent squad death isn't overly scary.
The other? Maybe the fear just isn't obvious and that's a thing. I mean come on! A typing tutor! And a comedy one at that!
Might as well thrown Dead Rising in there. I mean you can ride around a tricycle in a pink tutu with a chainsaw paddle, but hey, zombies, am I right?

I'm not saying the idea of a Not Obvious horror list is bad. I bloody well like it! I guess I just can't get over how silly that ClockTower scene was! I mean come on! He was a WW1 storm trooper/santa claus hybrid with acid! That's like the silliest idea I've heard all day!

I must say another kinda creepy game that I got on GOG a while back was "Neverending nightmares". The name is phoning it in a bit but it's damn fun.

Jim must be so sad having a guy wearing a sack break into his house once a year and do all his work while he himself undergoes... weird torture. There's a novel in there somewhere

My guess for next Halloween: a list of scary business practices game's companies are using that are slowly destroying the industry. I'm not just saying that in hopes of The Scrarecrow and Miniature Fantasy Willem Defoe teaming up to destroy Miniature Fantasy Ubisoft by the end of it, nope.

OT: Halloween will indeed be made better by the Typing of the Dead.

You monster! How could you do this to Jim?

Also, was the Clock Tower gamer supposed to be funny?

HA! Beautiful episode Jim! Don't let people say you didn't put in effort this year. ;D

Also, great stinger at the end from Oogie Scarecrow. =w= b

Thank God for Halloween! And Jim. :)

Thank you again, Mississippi's favourite son. You know what I found surprisingly scary? The first level from Tomb Raider. Those wolves...that music. Ooh, fuckin' 'ell.

okay....that acid bathtub cutscene....if it's something that makes me extremely squicky is extreme violence/torture/mutilation......oh well who needs to sleep at night.

So that last joke is just asking for trouble jim. Pretty soon we are going to have to hashtag scarecrowgate. STOP BLOWING GAME CRITIC CRITICS FOR GOOD REVIEWS!!! :P

I wonder what kind of laws Jim Crow would make?

Always kinda felt sorry for Home. Everyone stopped talking about it when Lone Survivor came out.

ExiledCreature:
"But actually I'm all about ethics in games journalism"

I was waiting for that, lol.

The fact that had to be said out loud is what's really scary.

You know, it's funny, but Jim's voice is actually a dead ringer for the joker at the start of the video. Studios should take note should Mark Hamill ever take a holiday.

Kudos for putting the Lone Survivor theme in the background for almost the entire video. It's my favorite video game music track by far, and one of my fav music tracks of all time, brilliant stuff. The game is also great, although it becomes much less scary, when you find out that once killed, the monsters are actually staying dead (yes, I got the Blue ending, how did you guess?).

Gee, Scarecrow. You've had it rough since Batman: Arkham Asylum. Maybe you should drop a couple? Okay that was mean. But as usual, Halloween is a thing here in my part of Yurp which doesn't garner that much attention. Because: 'too American'.

The people here usually go to a small party or just go binge watching Halloween style films. No trick or treating kids here (thank the flying Spaghetti monster for that). And scary games to me are like scary films... it just doesn't do it for me.

Oh and there is a Halloween style event going on at my job where they ask people to dress up and walk around the entire day at the office with a Halloween outfit. Imagine the fun if you will.

So thanks for the suggestion on scary games, Jim. But I'll take a pass. And like you, pass out instead (probably).

Lightknight:
You know, it's funny, but Jim's voice is actually a dead ringer for the joker at the start of the video. Studios should take note should Mark Hamill ever take a holiday.

Pssst. http://comicsalliance.com/mark-hamill-retires-the-joker-arkham-city/

Here's a few of my not-quite-as-popular horror game suggestions.

Siren:
Want to know what most of the Silent Hill guys did later on? This was that game. "Sight-jacking" lets you see through the eyes of the monsters, and nothing creeps you out more than "seeing" them stalk you, drawing closer to where you're hiding...

Clive Barker's Undying:
While the Clive Barker name has been attached to a lot of junk games (looking at you "Jericho"), Undying is legitimately creepy, atmospheric, and severed screwed up in the best ways. It's a little dated, but well worth the asking price at GoG.

Haunting Ground/Demento:
Very similar to the original Clock Towers, this is basically ICO meets survival horror. It's eerie, often obtuse, and frequently frustrating... but definitely worth checking out for fans of the genre.

Cold Fear:
Everyone who played Resident Evil 4, and then was letdown by how unscary Resident Evil 5 was, should try this game out. It was a very obviously copy of RE4, but that's the point... it was a better RE4 experience than RE5 or RE6 were, with better atmosphere, monsters, and scares to go along with it. Really underrated.

Cpt. Slow:

Lightknight:

JIM!!! Jump on it man, time to have your voice in a couple AAA titles.

I think being forced to play Star Wars Kinect for 5 hours would be far more horrifying.

Also, nice completely unnecessary jab at the end Jim. Ethics in game journalism isn't going to fix itself by being sarcastic about it.

Cpt. Slow:

Lightknight:

Yeah, Mark Hamill has retired as the Joker like three times now. I do think he's serious this time though, sadly.

I'm not sure if that punishment is indeed worse than making bittersweet love to Aliens: Colonial Marines.

And I will agree on ZombiU, it's fucking great even if the last hour and a half can go dive into that barrel full of acid from the clip (and there I was thinking he would light them on fire, that death was horrifying).

Thanatos2k:

Cpt. Slow:

Lightknight:

Yeah, Mark Hamill has retired as the Joker like three times now. I do think he's serious this time though, sadly.

Depends on the paycheck, probably.

Fat Scarecrow... LOL

Thanatos2k:

Cpt. Slow:

Lightknight:

Least we have him as Skips in Regular show. And its Halloween special is this week. Hamill usually does the voices of the villians in those.

Also I think he still does Joker but only in non canon stuff (like Robot Chicken).

Thanatos2k:

Well, there are enough talented voice actors to take up the mantle so it's sad, but it's not the end of the world.

Lightknight:
Depends on the paycheck, probably.

Nah, he retired because he was afraid the voice acting gig would ruin his voice. Because talking that all the time like the Joker isn't really healthy for anyone's voice to be honest.

Scarecrow really let himself go, didn't he?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here