How Dirty Bomb Will Help Splash Damage Recover From Brink

How Dirty Bomb Will Help Splash Damage Recover From Brink

Splash Damage revisits the asymmetrical FPS arena. Can its simplified customization, free-to-play strategy bring jilted Brinkers back into the fold?

Read Full Article

I remember when Brink was going to be a huge thing, even after people played it in previews. It is the biggest waste of money I own currently and it made me not buy anything new ever since and just wait for everyones opinion to settle down to have a better understanding of what are the current problems with the game in question.

There's almost no information in this publisher sponsored hype piece to suggest it will help anyone recover from anything. I'm not seeing anything that'll attract players to it. In fact, saying it's not for the "mass core" (whatever the heck that is) is almost an admission that they don't expect it to do well in the over-saturated F2P shooter market.

Of course, once people actually get to play it properly, outside of publisher events, it might turn out to be decent.

I better get a free copy for owning Brink (on 2 platforms)

Brink came out a week before the Day One Update, and a lot of people experienced lag, poor texture quality, badly behaved AI ... and it frustrated us endlessly.

Still reading the article but what? I own brink, and I still play Brink on occasion (single player) because there is a good game underneath the wealth of issues. But this statement reads as though the lag, texture, and AI were a result of the "Day One Update," and that is pure bullshit. Brink had some really good ideas and mechanics, but suffered from poor execution. I would love to see Brink done proper. I normally don't sweat graphics (again, I still play Brink, and Diablo 2 to this day), but with a game like Brink that features "customize the appearance of your character" so heavily as a selling point, and some interesting looking pieces of wardrobe, to then get in the game and have it be such a visual mess that you can't really appreciate the customization options of the characters around you, made me wonder "why go to the trouble of the customization features to begin with?" That game could have been so much better.

Alfador_VII:
saying it's not for the "mass core" (whatever the heck that is) is almost an admission that they don't expect it to do well in the over-saturated F2P shooter market.

I didn't get that impression. It struck me more akin to an episode of Jim Quisition when he talked about Payday 2 selling well because they made a "Payday" game, instead of trying to create a Call of Duty game and slapping the Payday name on it. He went on to mention that publisher think the only games that matter are candy crush, castle crashers, and call of duty, and that they want all their efforts geared toward making similar titles, while the makers of Payday got a "pay day" by making a pay day game, and the makers of X-Com enemy unknown were able to be successful by making an XCOM game, NOT "XCOM's take on Call of Duty."

Hopefully what they're saying is that they're making a game with their own vision, and not trying to attract the COD crowd.

Enemy Territory updated for modern computers? Still doesn't cost anything? Sign me up.

There are a few things that look good here, and more things that look bad. I like that there are both male and female mercs, and that they seem to be distinct characters. I dislike the linear maps and objectives which these guys seem to think is a strength, and I hate the crate and key loot system if it's anything like the TF2 version.

People can say what they like, but I really liked BRINK.
I still suspect that Bethesda was behind the games rushed state (I mean just look at what they did with Obsidian and New Vegas) I also recall Splash Damage on their forums saying that they couldn't do any updates because it had to go through Bethesda nor could they get funding for mod support.

But even with the games shortcomings, I thought BRINK was still great.
I loved the maps, the music, the voice-acting and I liked the feel the game had.
In most FPS games the two sides either seem identical or their reason for fighting vague, but in BRINK both factions seemed vastly different and the story gave clear reason why you're fighting against the other side.

I am looking forward to Dirty Bomb, hopefully they will have full control over the game and thus make the game they want to make, not just yield to the publisher.

jackpipsam:
I still suspect that Bethesda was behind the games rushed state (I mean just look at what they did with Obsidian and New Vegas) I also recall Splash Damage on their forums saying that they couldn't do any updates because it had to go through Bethesda nor could they get funding for mod support.

But even with the games shortcomings, I thought BRINK was still great.
I loved the maps, the music, the voice-acting and I liked the feel the game had.
In most FPS games the two sides either seem identical or their reason for fighting vague, but in BRINK both factions seemed vastly different and the story gave clear reason why you're fighting against the other side.

I am looking forward to Dirty Bomb, hopefully they will have full control over the game and thus make the game they want to make, not just yield to the publisher.

I'm with you...I LOVED brink. Yes, it wa as bug ridden mess at launch (Bethesda norm), and the AI was retarded, but I really enjoyed the RPG elements, the setting, and the game mode. Sadly once people quit playing...that left you with the stupid AI. Oh and the matchmaking was awful. You could get 5 real people in a match and have four on one team and one poor schmuck by himself with the stupid bots.

Will be interested in this game.

It's published by Nexon.
It will never be successful, because Nexon isn't the kind of company that publishes successful games.

Even if the game is any good, the publisher will drag it down to the point it will only be played by people with infinite money, or infinite tolerance for overpriced pay-to-win.

Did they really use "Enemy Territory" as part of title for two separate franchises? Nobody else thinks that's stupidly uncreative? Or am I missing something there?

SoulChaserJ:
I better get a free copy for owning Brink (on 2 platforms)

you better get a lobotomy for owning two copies of Brink.

jackpipsam:
I still suspect that Bethesda was behind the games rushed state (I mean just look at what they did with Obsidian and New Vegas)

To be fair to Bethesda, Obsidian is well known for releasing horribly bug-ridden games with great stories or premises. It makes me wonder if they even have a QA team beyond like one guy in a basement they forget to feed.
Alpha Protocol
KOTOR 2
Neverwinter Nights 2
Fallout: New Vegas

Thats four out of six developed games Obsidian has released that were less good than they could have been because of bugs. That is a history of poor management not necessarily being rushed by a publisher. I'm not saying I hate Obsidian games, every one of those I listed are games I enjoy the crap out of. But its categorically unfair when you shift blame without remembering whats gone on before.

That being said, Bethesda could have been the reason BRINK turned out the way it did. But I wouldn't use New Vegas as an example of things Bethesda can take credit for screwing up.

OT:BRINK just bored me to tears, the whole design aspect before release didn't impress me and the post-release crap was essentially what I was expecting anyway. That being said, Dirty Bomb looks interesting but not enough to warrant a release-day buy. I might test it on beta though, just to get a feel for it and because deep down the QA tester in me still wants to go back to the industry even though I live in Florida and there aren't any great game testing jobs here, so I gotta get my fix somehow.

martyrdrebel27:
Did they really use "Enemy Territory" as part of title for two separate franchises? Nobody else thinks that's stupidly uncreative? Or am I missing something there?

Cant blame them for that, they should have however had either Enemy Territory be the first title or the second title instead of jumping around, still, Enemy Territory was basicly the class based multiplayer focused treatement for the game. ET:Quake Wars and Wolfenstein:ET shared a lot of stuff.

I think I'm interested. I played Brink on my 360 way past launch so I probably missed out on a lot of the issues that soured people to the game at launch. I think it had some good ideas and the colorful character customization was a nice change from the boring cosmetic changes in most shooters. I for one enjoy asymmetrical, objective based shooters so I'll keep an eye on this. I never get too excited about F2P games though. The quality is just so rarely there.

Brink was hilariously one sided for the Rebels. All the release maps but two are so rebel-biased, I don't think one of the weeks they tracked the Res/Sec scuffles that Security won on any platform. Not to mention a few guns were outstanders compared to the rest, parkour was terribly under used until DLC, and a very poor campaign/token characters.

Still fun as giggles if you get a good match though.

Hmm. I really love the hell out of ET. (Also RTCW) Brink was...eh. Not sure why it didn't do it for me. It was very similar to ET. It just didn't pop for some reason. felt sluggish. The traverse button or whatever you call it was kind of neat, but it didn't pay off like I hoped it would. If Splash Damage can bring back that ET feeling to accomplishing objectives in their "stopwatch" mode, that would be great. To this day I haven't found a game that really captures the tension of Goldrush. Trying to defend multiple points from detonating to keep the enemy from advancing forward and claiming a forward spawn, rebuilding barriers to keep the advancing tank out that only advances if you have people around it, having to keep the tank repaired so it keeps moving, getting the tank far enough forward that it blasts a hole in the side of a bank vault and then the game flips and becomes destroying/repairing get away trucks that the enemy has to keep repaired to get the gold they have (hopefully) been able to lift out of the vault under heavy fire far enough down the road to win the game...magic. Just great matches in those rooms. Sometimes you get run, but that happens in any game. When you have two good teams with different classes supporting each other properly and playing the objective, holy crud. Just amazing gameplay. I wish Splash Damage the best. I will definitely try this out when it comes out. ET is probably my favorite game of all time, in terms of time played and fun had.

Wait...this is still a thing?

I recall signing up for the beta....a least a year ago, I think? Possibly two?....only to have the game basically drop off the radar. Then there was some mess about a name change, then another name change, and that was about the end of it. I don't remember hearing anything anything after that.

But hey, if they think they can make the formula work this time 'round, good on them. Hope it works out. Can't say I'm "hyped" or anything, but I wish them the best of luck.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here