Escape to the Movies: Interstellar - Doesn't Live Up To Its Own Name

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Interstellar - Doesn't Live Up To Its Own Name

Nolan's attempt to make a Spielberg-esque film doesn't work.

Watch Video

Well Chris Nolan shouldn't have criticised Marvel Penalised!

P-89 Scorpion:
Fuck you Chris Nolan shouldn't have criticised Marvel! Penalised!

That kind of went around my head while watching the review.

This review was a little harsh,sure he make good points about the movie but I thought it was still enjoyable,emotional and I'm not even sure what qualifies as a good performance to him anymore.

And to say it again if,people are going to criticise the Pay Your Respects scene then they must have laughed at this scene as well.

Great, now I can't get the idea of Neil DeGrasse Tyson bursting into the homes of writers with a whiteboard and markers to chastise them for getting things wrong in it. Its actually kind of hilarious when you do it with the right films.

Anyways, early review, always appreciated by people to help them form their opinion before they decide to go see it in theaters.

Weaker than Dark Knight Rises? I find that hard to believe.

But dude, I love K-Pax, that movie ruled.

daxterx2005:

Kevin Spacey starred in a CoD game he is now Bob's enemy and everything he has and will do will be targeted without mercy.

I really want this movie to be good. I will probably see it anyways just because I love this kind of sci-fi. But the thing that really bothered me from the review is the point about constant expository speeches undercutting the visual wonder of the film. Sounds like the movie didn't have enough faith in the audience to 'show' rather than 'tell' which always bugs me in this kind of movie.

Here's hoping Bob is exaggerating the movie's faults (although I am really sick at this point of Speilberg style schmaltz and knowing that this was originally his project puts a damper on my expectations) and if nothing else I can enjoy the sci-fi elements that DO work and the spectacle of it.

MarsAtlas:
Great, now I can't get the idea of Neil DeGrasse Tyson bursting into the homes of writers with a whiteboard and markers to chastise them for getting things wrong in it. Its actually kind of hilarious when you do it with the right films.

I imagine him doing it while dressed up as Green Arrow.

P-89 Scorpion:

daxterx2005:

Kevin Spacey starred in a CoD game he is now Bob's enemy and everything he has and will do will be targeted without mercy.

So he'll be welcomed back open arms if he cameos in Smash bros? :3

I might still want to see this movie, if just for that whole "science fiction, but realism" thing. That sounds pretty cool, and I'm pretty easily fooled by failed attempts at emotion.

So does it have that annoying "THX" noise swell that every serious sci-fi movie seemingly needs to have nowadays?

Gravity had this shit, and the trailer for Interstellar was loaded with it as well. Apparently blasting uncomfortably loud noise at the audience constitutes for tension.

daxterx2005:

I thought the same thing. "Leave [K-Pax] alone!!"

Hmm I stopped watching about halfway through because he was nudging towards inadvertent spoilers. I actually think I will probably prefer the dull technical stuff. As an Engineer I'm forced into a ton of forgiving suspension of disbelief in sci-fi. It would be a welcome change.

MarsAtlas:
Great, now I can't get the idea of Neil DeGrasse Tyson bursting into the homes of writers with a whiteboard and markers to chastise them for getting things wrong in it.

I would watch the hell out of that movie.

Blah, blah blah, Moviebob's butt hurt over perceived slights from nolan bashing marvel coupled with holier-than-thou movie geek babble masquerading as a thoughtful review. A couple years ago, I liked moviebob's reviews. They were funny, well thought out, and accurate to my own movie-tastes, but lately, his reviews leave a sour taste in my mouth. The way he's going about telling us about the films as of late smacks of elitism. he comes off as talking down to us 'mere mortals' as though we're unintelligent, and incapable of making our own judgements on what kinds of movies we'd like.

Don't even get me started on his hate for the new Star Trek movies, his loathing for the movies borders on a damn fetish at this point.

At this point, I just want to go see the movie that I know I'll enjoy just to spite him.

I've noticed that usually EttM comes out on a Tuesday because Movie Bob doesn't want the movie to do well at all, the best examples being both of the Amazing Spider-Man movie episodes. I wonder whether Nolan has literally set himself on fire with his last two movies 'cos if this is weaker than TDKR in Bob's opinion, this film is going to sink lower and lower by the day in his mind.

And the credits: Yawn, it's OK so long as it's not CoD, CoD is literally Satan. Yawn.

TippiestRook:

And to say it again if,people are going to criticise the Pay Your Respects scene then they must have laughed at this scene as well.

That's not really the same thing, one is an optional little environment detail put there for Batman fans that has a long history and emotional attachment with a decades old cultural icon. The other is a pointless button press in a mandatory cutscene for a character that's in the game for only the first 30 minutes and has no real characterization or context to speak of beyond being a generic designated heroic sacrifice moment. The two are only similar if the only thing people were laughing at was the concept of pressing a button to pay respects.

If the character had been with us throughout the game, and was well written emotionally compelling, very few would be laughing at a funeral scene after a heroic sacrifice as the audience would be attached to the character as well.

I don't want Nolan anywhere near anything that has to do with emotions. Lack of touchy-feely themes and characters is why I love his movies. He pays more attention to the scientific and analytical. But as soon as the issue of emotions is involved the whole thing falls apart. The only time when it worked in his movies was back in The Prestige, and only because both of his main characters were so obsessed with their work, they neglected the emotional needs of their loved ones which lead to one tragedy after another. But damn, the relationship between Batman and Selina Kyle was abysmal in TDKR, and there was nothing noteworthy involving Rachel. His best attempt was in Batman Begins, actually. But that's probably mostly because Christian Bale and Katie Holmes seemed to have a really good on screen chemistry.

ThingWhatSqueaks:

MarsAtlas:
Great, now I can't get the idea of Neil DeGrasse Tyson bursting into the homes of writers with a whiteboard and markers to chastise them for getting things wrong in it.

You might enjoy this.

Wow, it's no secret that Bob is a fan of the Badass Digest crew, but this takes it to the next level. If I were Devin Faraci I'd be wondering if I should sue for plagiarism or if imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Evonisia:
I wonder whether Nolan has literally set himself on fire with his last two movies 'cos if this is weaker than TDKR in Bob's opinion, this film is going to sink lower and lower by the day in his mind.

If that's the case, then look forward to another year's worth of potshots at Interstellar in future reviews!

aceman67:
Blah, blah blah, Moviebob's butt hurt over perceived slights from nolan bashing marvel coupled with holier-than-thou movie geek babble masquerading as a thoughtful review. A couple years ago, I liked moviebob's reviews. They were funny, well thought out, and accurate to my own movie-tastes, but lately, his reviews leave a sour taste in my mouth. The way he's going about telling us about the films as of late smacks of elitism. he comes off as talking down to us 'mere mortals' as though we're unintelligent, and incapable of making our own judgements on what kinds of movies we'd like.

Don't even get me started on his hate for the new Star Trek movies, his loathing for the movies borders on a damn fetish at this point.

At this point, I just want to go see the movie that I know I'll enjoy just to spite him.

While I'm not carrying a torch about it this does feel like a another moviebob butthurt instance. This goes into that "objective review" thing thats going around. Occasionally for one reason or another Bob either before or during a viewing will start putting together a biased perception of a film. Sometimes its because hes mad about something and sometimes he literally gets miffed by a style or film concept and I think this is what alienates him from fans and other critics. Sometimes bob is just "childish".

I don't know if this is a "bobs mad at someone" review though. While his whining got really annoying to the point most of us went out and saw ASM2 despite him he was right about it. So his ranty crap backfired and the film did great despite being awful. This feels more like just having personal issues with the style.

This review reminds me of when he hated all over "The Road" which I and everyone thought was amazing. The tone hes using on this one makes me feel comfortable giving the film a shot.

Eh. I'm pretty sure Bob just doesn't like Nolan movies anymore. I wouldn't be surprised to see him do a revisit of all of his films so that he can talk about how he doesn't think they're that good anymore.

The general consensus seems to be quite positive and I've found all of his non-Batman movies to be quite good in the past. Still, Bob brought up some good points, though it seems that most people have seen the movie would disagree. But hey, if your opinions frequently line up with Bob's (as mine used to) his view of the movie will probably be quite similar to your own.

Adam Jensen:
I don't want Nolan anywhere near anything that has to do with emotions.

At least this isn't a George Lucas movie. Emotions aren't his strong suit, at all... He has great vision and technical eye for film, but directing actors to act is not his forte.

MarsAtlas:

ThingWhatSqueaks:

MarsAtlas:

You might enjoy this.

HAH!!! That was awesome. :D

Also I find it funny that again loads of people have the misconception that a review is something else than always just the opinion of one guy, in the majority of cases a guy with a load of expertise on the subject. Bob has more expertise than me. That doesn't mean that I always share his opinion (I liked K-Pax, too) but what we share is a dislike of stupid twists just for twists' sake. So yeah, not gonna see this one in a theater.

Hmm, a number of critics I usually respect seem to disagree on this one. Some find it a great film, others don't, like Bob.

I'm gonna see it anyway, hard sci-fi is sorta one of my things. But I guess I'm going in with little expectations of my own.

Fdzzaigl:
Some find it a great film, others don't like Bob.

Had to read that sentence four times before I realized you didn't mean that an unnumbered group of critics don't like Bob...

Well damn. I even watched The Prestige in anticipation for this just to get really hyped about Nolan again, after having become more jaded towards him in recent years. I hope I didn't just boost my expectations beyond what Interstellar can touch by doing that.

and yeah, that CoD screenshot? If there was ever anything that could be presented as an answer to that question with the tagline "In a nutshell..." it would be that. I actually did find that bit in Arkham City kinda silly, just holding down the button and watching the camera pan around a silent, expressionless Batman to no particular end... However, at least that scene was a sick joke by the villain, meant to be emotionally impactful to Batman.

In CoD, it's a dead serious (if pathetically lazy) attempt to introduce "gameplay" into a cutscene, that's not meant to be in any way impactful to the nonentity serving as the human camera at that particular moment, but to the portion of the player-base that romanticises the idea of soldiers dying without an ounce of irony, to the extend that 'press X to pay respects' is an actual moment of wish fulfilment to them.

Just take a minute to contemplate how fucked up that is.

Get the feeling along with many here that Bob is just being Butthurt about somthing, but thats why i liked his reveiws, his angry rants about how shit the transformers movies were and the twilight movies, then he toned it down over the years. And end of the day its just his veiw on shit. Ill still give this one a go but Bob is not Jim Sterling, he gets stuff wrong at times.

RedDeadFred:
Eh. I'm pretty sure Bob just doesn't like Nolan movies anymore. I wouldn't be surprised to see him do a revisit of all of his films so that he can talk about how he doesn't think they're that good anymore.

The general consensus seems to be quite positive and I've found all of his non-Batman movies to be quite good in the past. Still, Bob brought up some good points, though it seems that most people have seen the movie would disagree. But hey, if your opinions frequently line up with Bob's (as mine used to) his view of the movie will probably be quite similar to your own.

His perception lines up pretty much exactly what what I was expecting from the trailers; a potentially great sci-fi movie spoiled by the usual "power of love" wankery. Of course it turns out it was written as "power of love" wankery in the first place and then evidently Nolan tried to salvage it, but the end result is the same.

Protip Hollywood - if I want to be beaten over the head with all this emotions are teh awesumz, love will win the day, poorly-disguised God of the Gaps bullshit, I'll watch a Disney kids movie. When I go to see hard sci-fi, I want to see hard sci-fi. Even better, I want to see hard sci-fi in which the scientists are A; the good guys and B; competent, rather than either malicious caricatures, borderline-psychotic basket cases, or bumbling morons. Yes yes, "scientists are people and people make mistakes blah blah", we've seen that film already. Hundreds of times. We don't need a five-hundredth re-imagining of Frankenstein.

Yeah COD represents all good games made today...
Like Ninja turtles represents all movies made today.

1) Bob gets butthurt over something Nolan DIDN'T say about his beloved Marvel movies.
2) He decides to rush his show by two full days so he can badmouth his movie as soon as possible.
3) Whatever.

Wow, that is a very unwelcome surprise... :\

Johnny Novgorod:
1) Bob gets butthurt over something Nolan DIDN'T say about his beloved Marvel movies.
2) He decides to rush his show by two full days so he can badmouth the movie as soon as possible.
3) Whatever.

1) Nolan makes a new film
2) Nolan fanboys decide said film is a masterpiece before even seeing it
3) Critics who have actually seen the film point out that it's a good, but not perfect movie
4) Nolan fans take this as a personal slight and shout "Bias!!!!" and "Personal Vendetta!!!"
5) Cycle repeats every couple of years

Not saying that Bob isn't wrong... just maybe, y'know, you should wait until you've actually seen the movie before being so adamant that his bias is showing??

WarpedLord:

Johnny Novgorod:
2) He decides to rush his show by two full days so he can badmouth the movie as soon as possible.
3) Whatever.

1) Nolan makes a new film
2) Nolan fanboys decide said film is a masterpiece before even seeing it
3) Critics who have actually seen the film point out that it's a good, but not perfect movie
4) Nolan fans take this as a personal slight and shout "Bias!!!!" and "Personal Vendetta!!!"
5) Cycle repeats every couple of years

Not saying that Bob isn't wrong... just maybe, y'know, you should wait until you've actually seen the movie before being so adamant that his bias is showing??

Saw the movie on Monday. Reviewed it yesterday.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.864462-Pros-Cons-Interstellar-2014

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here