Uncivil War: Quake - Speed Run Finale!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Quake - Speed Run Finale!

Season 1 of Uncivil War draws to a close - who will be the victor, and who will have to write bad poetry lamenting their defeat?

Watch Video

I'm so happy when my team wins. :D
Now I cannot wait to see them in pain.

The victor shall smile smugly as the loser chokes on humiliation ... and mustard!

YES! I knew my boy would take it home. Choke it down son!

I love them both but I wanted yahtzee to win, he just felt like the underdog to me....dunno why. y u try to fite fiend instead of running past it yahtzee ;_;

Oh well, good season chaps, good luck with the mustard mate.

I never realized you guys had such a fear of mustard. Or is it mustard and poetry combined specifically?

That was surprisingly tense. Moral of the story is if you're going to die on a speed run, do it early in the level.

Well, that was a good one; plenty of drama and back-and-forth. Poor Jim's gonna hear a lot of not-exactly-subtle jibes at his weight, I'm betting.

For the next series, I've got a couple of ideas:
The Light of My Halos: With the Master Chief Collection coming out, you could speed-run one level from each game back-to-back (though that's pretty long for one of these videos), or pick a challenge to complete (for example, kill an Elite in every game, or grab a skull in each game).

Sunset Overdrive Clever Name: Set the clock for 5 minutes and see who can have the biggest combo by the end of it. Twist: you can't touch the ground, grinding only. The combo meter resets if you get shot, so that's an easy way to track it rather than having to rely on memory.

Aristatide:
I never realized you guys had such a fear of mustard. Or is it mustard and poetry combined specifically?

I'd wager they're talking about English mustard, which is rather strong compared to other types.

Surely it should be 'Jim "Fucking" Sterling, son'

You know, I have been rooting for Yahtzee since the beginning, but a mustard-infused poem by Yahtzee sounds fantastic - I'm ok with this :D

Aristatide:

Yes, it indeed seem odd to me, but I'm the kind of person who usually as at least 5 different kind of mustard in his fridge.

Dijon, old style Dijon, dijonnaise, honey mustard (mostly because I'm lazy, as I always have a pot of honey, usually buckwheat, in the pantry) and a good old bottle of crappy French's Mustard.

Woah, so that's how people who "know the game" feel when they see people not so saavy playing it...

Whoever loses, we win.

Shit this was tense. I hope we get to see Jim's reaction to the poem, if not with the actual video then at least on his youtube channel *wink wink*.

Thunderous Cacophony:

Sunset Overdrive Clever Name: Set the clock for 5 minutes and see who can have the biggest combo by the end of it. Twist: you can't touch the ground, grinding only. The combo meter resets if you get shot, so that's an easy way to track it rather than having to rely on memory.

Another idea for a Sunset Overdrive challenge:
Best of three traversal challenge: Who can get from the brewery in the old factory district to the amusement park in the harbour fastest without touching the ground. Other lengthy traversals that would also work: from lighthouse in little Tokyo to Fizzco Tower in downtown, and from the power plant in the old factory district to the top of the bridge connecting the harbor and downtown districts.

Idea for a round:

Jim and Yahtzee play FFXIII: Lightning Returns and the first to swear or mock the game loses :P let's see who has the greatest endurance!

It's not how you start, it's how you finish.

StormShaun:

Is it bad that I read that in the Green Ranger's theme?

Zachary Amaranth:

Is it bad that I read that in the Green Ranger's theme?

All the better!
The Green Ranger is my favourite ranger! (and colour)

No! Dammit. So this is what it feels like when your sports team loses...

Maybe Yahtzee can get some vanilla pudding and some yellow food coloring. Ah, well, I HAVE A CHALLENGE!

They should play the first challenge in Timesplitters 3, Behead the Undead. It has a point tracking system too. Or, any in that first category, the monkeys may take a while, but the cow carcasses would be a good show.

archiebawled:

Aristatide:

I'd wager they're talking about English mustard, which is rather strong compared to other types.

True that. Even wasabi's[1] got nothing on English mustard. Wasabi will flay your tastebuds; English mustard'll eat your face.

OT (sorta): Did anyone notice the snoring noise in the background during the post-game gloating? What's that about? I know Yahtzee's mic occasionally picks up whatever atrocity is happening in his neighborhood, but this time it seemed to be coming from Jim's side. Odd.

[1] Well, the so-called 'wasabi' you get at sushi joints, anyway, which is just green-dyed horseradish.

A vast improvement over last week is all I can say, this was surprisingly tense. Perhaps I should have looked at Jim's camera more often than I did to get a better view but those last few minutes were tense without it.

Ending with one of my favorite all time games. I love it. Next game challenge should be one of the side activities in Prototype or something in Payday. Or for something a bit shorter, Speedrunners

Came to read about the "horror's" of (delicious)..mustard?
Found out about English mustard..Wonder how it would compare to the Swedish yellow/black bottle, hmm.

Nice old-school gaming there, takes me back.

Congrats to the winner(s) (us of course ) ,)

One of the best episodes yet IMHO. Well done, both.

May I suggest Quake (or something similar), see who stays alive longest in Nightmare mode after eating hot peppers (a la http://www.youtube.com/user/HotPepperGaming). Because you can either use mouse and keyboard or drink milk.

I like mustard myself, but having to eat spoon fulls of the stuff, while reading poetry praising the person who sent you to such a fate? D:

xD This is going to be a fun poem to watch.

Well done, JumpStomp!
Better luck next time, ZoomCrush! ;D

Of course he won, he's Jim Fucking Sterling, son!

So, is it going to be weapons-grade mustard like this
or some weak American-style shite?

Yahtzee has taste, I'm sure it will nothing less than Colmans English Mustard =p

I decided to play Quake alongside these two while the video is running. Just so you're both aware: had I actually been a participant in the finale, you'd both be eating mustard. By the time Jimothy made it to the end of the second level, I was on my way up the elevator to the end of the third.

That said, congrats to Jim. As for Yahtzee, well...

LenticularHomicide:
Did anyone notice the snoring noise in the background during the post-game gloating? What's that about? I know Yahtzee's mic occasionally picks up whatever atrocity is happening in his neighborhood, but this time it seemed to be coming from Jim's side. Odd.

I thought it was more of a growling noise. Maybe from whatever killed Yahtzee at the end.

Skyrim Sheogorath Salute. Start in the town of Solitude, and whoever can acquire the most cheese wins.

So Yahtzee choked and now has to admit to Jim that he's a superior human being? I'd watch it.

Next week is going to be EPIC. XD

Yahtzee praising Jim in a Poem... This is going to be funny as hell. :D

Well done Jim!

Can't wait to see what comes next. :)

I also can't wait to see what Yahtzee's poem is going to be like.

Holy shit I've been playing this for days now, talk about timing

Well done Jim Fucking Sterling Son.

To be honest as soon as they announced the "forfeit", I wanted Jim to win, because Yahtzee's poems are always entertaining.

I thought for sure that Yahtzee had that one. I look forward to Yahtzee's riveting lymaric.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here