Escape to the Movies: Big Hero 6 - Meet Disney's Animated Avengers

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Big Hero 6 - Meet Disney's Animated Avengers

Big Hero 6 is a fantastic super hero film with a great cast and story, but unfortunately falls prey to the misguided idea that kids have too short an attention span to sit through a long movie.

Watch Video

Two in a week? And one of them is a glowing recommendation? I feel spoiled.

I actually kind of thought that this was going to be awful. Pleasant surprise is pleasant.

One review I saw mentioned that some of the kids watching actually turned to their parents asking how long that movie is midway through. So I guess kids do have too short an attention span to sit through a movie. :(

It's always nice to hear analysis of why something is good and the bits where it stumbles, but really, I was pretty much sold by the tagline "Disney's Animated Avengers".

How is it that some people outgrow this stuff, anyway? I still squee and clap my hands at fun kid movies, 15+ years after my purported childhood!

I am looking forward to seeing this movie today. Speaking movies that are too long, I am dreading going to the movies to see the last Hobbit movie.

So if it does rush I find that a bit peculiar. Neither Frozen or Maleficent (two massive Disney hits of 2013/2014) were rushed. Hell Frozen even had padding in it with that damn second Troll scene. What convinced them that kids wouldn't pay attention when clearly they did for Frozen and Maleficent (and those weren't action films, mostly).

Hmmm so is the villain's identity as obvious as I think it is?

Rawbeard:
One review I saw mentioned that some of the kids watching actually turned to their parents asking how long that movie is midway through. So I guess kids do have too short an attention span to sit through a movie. :(

I watched the same review yesterday before seeing the movie last night, and as was mentioned in that review, it's really just one short part of the movie that slows down a bit before hammering the accelerator down for the (almost too fast, as Bob mentioned) last stretch of the movie.

Overall, I really enjoyed it, and my six-year old LOVED it. He asked if we could see it again as soon as the credits started rolling.

Evonisia:
So if it does rush I find that a bit peculiar. Neither Frozen or Maleficent (two massive Disney hits of 2013/2014) were rushed. Hell Frozen even had padding in it with that damn second Troll scene. What convinced them that kids wouldn't pay attention when clearly they did for Frozen and Maleficent (and those weren't action films, mostly).

It definitely did seem a little rushed. Not terribly so, but it felt like it should have been about 10-15 mins longer. My only guess as to "Why?" is maybe that they think because it's a "Superhero movie" that kids will expect more action... or maybe Disney thinks boys have shorter attention spans than the girls that Frozen and Maleficent were more targeted towards?

Edit: Oh... and am I the only one who thinks Hiro's armor is strangely reminiscent of Priss's hardsuit?

I've waited for years for an Incredibles 2.

This looks like it's going to do more than just scratch the itch. It's going to give me a whole new itch to scratch.

So now I'll just have to figure out how to watch this alone.
I'm still a bit sour after wreck-it ralph, which I watched at 8pm with a crowd of 3 year-olds who, after the first 10 minutes, kept yelling for Bowser to return.

Rawbeard:

You watch Jeremy too huh?

Overall the reviews I'm saying is that this move gets As across the board, minus pacing where it gets a C or a D. Thing is I'm getting inconsistent reports on if it's too slow paced or too fast paced. Either way it loos like it's kind of interesting.

Also yeah, sitting back and shooting the shit. How come we don't see characters in fiction do that more? If you have good characterization it'll be really endearing. I mean just look at the party scene from Age of Ultron! More of that please!

"My diagnosis"? *raises finger* "Puberty"

I died and had to rewind the video :')

Looks awesome, can't wait till its released in the UK

"Left wanting more" is probably the best criticism one can hope for.

I am glad that the movie seems good but can someone please explain to me why in the name of Odin there is a 3 month gap between the US release date and the UK release date?

I swear if when the final box office taking are in if anyone even close to the development of this movie even hints that piracy hurt the returns I will flip out!

This looks awesome! Will definitely catch in theaters once I get a chance.

Disney's been on a roll lately. Hope they can keep it up.

Keith K:
"Left wanting more" is probably the best criticism one can hope for.

This was going to be my comment!
When someone has the criticism of a movie/game/book that "it was too short" or something similar, that usually means it's damn good and it knows when to stop or that, like Bob said, it can always make a sequel if this succeeds.

I had hopes for this, seems like I will have to go to the theather again soon! :D

INeedAName:

Thinking about StarWars and the rest of the Marvel Cinemtatic universe are we?
But yeah, certainly hope they can keep the good work up myself :D

Guffe:

INeedAName:

Well, the last three Disney animated pictures have been:

Wreck-It Ralph
Frozen
Big Hero 6

I'd say that's quite a roll.

LarsInCharge:

Guffe:

INeedAName:

Wreck-It Ralph
Frozen
Big Hero 6

Yeah it is!
I really enjoyed Wreck it and Frozen and Big6 seems like a movie I will also enjoy.
Just didn't find when it will arrive in theathers in Finland :/

Hoping sooner rather than later!

Evonisia:

Big Hero 6 is the exact same length as Frozen 102 minutes including the credits. The reason this seems rushed is Frozen is a very padded and loose adaption of a very short story this isn't.

And yay for being in the UK were this doesn't come out till March/April when everything about it will be spoiled because I dare to use the internet.

I know what I am doing this weekend :D

WarpedLord:

Edit: Oh... and am I the only one who thinks Hiro's armor is strangely reminiscent of Priss's hardsuit?

Not sure how many here will get that reference but your right the helmet does look similar.

It sound like it had the same problem with The Book of Life (well in my view)? Also wait? the film is actually good? I pretty much had a low expectation since I thought it just a quick cash in due to the film is the union of Disney and Marvel!

I'm going take my sisters kids to go see this weekend. Being an uncle, the perfect to excuse to go see anything hehe.

P-89 Scorpion:

Evonisia:

Big Hero 6 is the exact same length as Frozen 102 minutes including the credits. The reason this seems rushed is Frozen is a very padded and loose adaption of a very short story this isn't.

And yay for being in the UK were this doesn't come out till March/April when everything about it will be spoiled because I dare to use the internet.

Oh great... I remember going insane dodging spoilers for wreck-it ralph, not looking forward to doing it again for this, especially as I REALLY want to see it.

P-89 Scorpion:

WarpedLord:

Not sure how many here will get that reference but your right the helmet does look similar.

Well, I'm glad at least one person got it!

CAPCHA: Civil Engineer - Mechanical, actually... but you're close, Capcha!

When a review's biggest complaint is 'it's too short', I get interested.

Having known NOTHING about the comic/wanna-be manga that it's based off of...
I can go into this film with NO expectations.

^_^

MooseHowl:
It's always nice to hear analysis of why something is good and the bits where it stumbles, but really, I was pretty much sold by the tagline "Disney's Animated Avengers".

How is it that some people outgrow this stuff, anyway? I still squee and clap my hands at fun kid movies, 15+ years after my purported childhood!

Same here. Though I think it helps that I was a tried and true 90s kid growing up on a steady diet of Nintendo and Disney thanks to my parents.

LarsInCharge:

Guffe:

INeedAName:

Wreck-It Ralph
Frozen
Big Hero 6

Not to mention Princess and the Frog (which started this new age) and Tangled.

MooseHowl:

Because if it's a good childhood it never ends.

Tanis:
When a review's biggest complaint is 'it's too short', I get interested.

Having known NOTHING about the comic/wanna-be manga that it's based off of...
I can go into this film with NO expectations.

^_^

Well, considering this has virtually nothing to do with the comic/wanna-be manga it's "based" on, I think everyone can go in that way.

:)

What are you trying to imply, Bob?
That Mario Kart 8 is bad and needs tanooki mario to save it...?
Mario Kart 8 rules.

It looks pretty amazing, I'm defiantly interested to see what it does with the whole depression thing.

So it's a comic playing as a manga, explains why the MC is so young.

MarsAtlas:
Two in a week? And one of them is a glowing recommendation? I feel spoiled.

I actually kind of thought that this was going to be awful. Pleasant surprise is pleasant.

I am glad you said that. I would not have seen the other one if you hadn't noted that he had posted it earlier in the week.

Also, I'd be perfectly fine if he did multiples on weeks there were movies worth talking about and either nothing or "Old Movie Reviews" on weeks there wasn't anything worth sharing.

RoonMian:

MooseHowl:

Because if it's a good childhood it never ends.

True dat. We may get older, but some opus will never mature. Or how ever that saying goes.

OT: This looks fun, and that's exactly what I'm looking for in a movie. Good to hear Bob get enthusiastic about something, especially after feeling let down by Interstellar. I'm going to have to look up the original Big Hero 6, since they were mentioned in an issue of All-New Invaders. Or maybe Bob can cover that in next week's Big Picture?

captcha: 37 Years Running - I'm actually 30, but you're close

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or