Jimquisition: The Slaughtering Grounds: A Steam Meltdown Story

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

The Slaughtering Grounds: A Steam Meltdown Story

It is time for yet another tale from Steam's open sewers, this time it's a personal account of one of the most impressive temper tantrums a developer's ever thrown.

Watch Video

Yes! I have been waiting, My Lord. And you certainly deliver.

Not even watched it yet but this gonna be good, yet another indie DMCA fiasco! Couldn't wait for this.

Edit.

Okay, watched it but I have to knock off a couple of points. The intro should have been changed to "Jim Fucking Sterling Son" and the music sample should have been played through the whole video instead of just the start to show everyone just how crap and annoying it is.

Ladies and gentlemen! Not your average idiot..! Jim Fucking Sterling! Long live the true Fucking Sterling!

Further, it's spelled "You're", nameless, talentless Non-Sterling.

(Tell you what the worst thing is. I often use the same font as Imminent Twattery. I'm rather worried that it'll reflect poorly on me in the future...)

Wonder how long its gong to take Dragons developer to do the same ;)

Say what you want about triple-A games, at least you don't see John Riccitiello and Bobby Kotick shouting obscenities at Youtube videos for dissing the games put out by their company.

Have we learned nothing over the last few months? Censoring criticism does not work and instead blows up in your face. Every. Single. Time. People will find out, and they will be angry.

And it's not like there haven't been a trail of corpses of bad indie devs with bad games trying to suppress people telling others about their bad game. Do they think "Hey this time, it'll work"? Why would they think that? Why would they think these actions are anything but laughable?

My reaction when seeing the video title:

Expectations lived up to, I can't believe certain devs keep trying to pull this crap but they do. Oh well, a good laugh for the rest of us and hopefully 'Digital Homicide' will do the world a favour and stop making games, if a single person will even buy their shit after this.

This whole thing would have been forgotten by now.

The new opening music doesn't mesh with the timing of the opening text. It's rather disconcerting, really.

Too bad all this abuse and idiocy doesn't rank as high as threatening GabeN on the Steam importance chart. Removing this game would be a public service...

TB also just released a Content Patch about it and the Youtube-DMCA against the video of Jim...
Hopefully those guys are stupid enough to try and go through with it all the way. It's going to be fun to watch them fail so hard. I would almost feel sorry for them wouldn't they deserve it and would serve as perfect example for other developers how badly they are going to fail trying to censor people, because - let's be realistic - they will completely fail.

Also - why is the music from that horrible game so... okay-fitting for the show-intro? Not perfect or great, but also far from bad.

I laughed almost immediately. Its like a child slapping an adult's leg, receiving a proper slap and crying about it.
I kept thinking about this seemingly popular gif:

http://24.media.tumblr.com/097f85a1143fae773093cde9bcb20f56/tumblr_n6tw4qU3k61qdlh1io1_400.gif

It gets even better. TotalBiscut pointed out today that the publisher that Jim works with is owned by Disney. If this thing does go to court Jim will have Disney lawyers! Most big companies would think twice before pissing off Disney so who the hell knows what would happen to these guys.

Yeah, you know, this is coming across as Jim bullying a developer.

Given his statement on the whole Zoe Quinn thing it seems really hypocritical to now be engaging in harassment with this much glee.

I'm not against Jim having opinions on people, but, using a stage to broadcast his dislike of a person is basically exactly what he was criticising people for doing during the whole ZQ episode.

Whilst I admit, the developer seems a little immature, he's hardly the first to be defensive of his creation and I think it's very wrong to be focusing on the creator rather than the creation.

The video starting with that music killed me.

And the sign-off was awesome.

Shame about the DMCA, though it is apparently only an inconvenience.

Give 'em Hell, Jim!

....Fucking Sterling, son!

What is it with this year and Indie developers?? Its like there was this get together where they all drank tainted water at the hotel they were staying then it made some of them stupid and toxic.

These are actions I would expect to be taken by a seven year old that some how leads a team of programmers and "artists".

Oh, these are getting good. Can't wait for another dev to throw a temper tantrum because you decided (and justly at that) to pan their work. Thank you, Son.

...Jim Fucking Sterling, Son. Jim Fucking Sterling-san? Oooh! Someone dig up Mr. Miyagi to say that.

JarinArenos:
The new opening music doesn't mesh with the timing of the opening text. It's rather disconcerting, really.

It is only for this week. It's the music that loops during The Slaughtering Grounds endlessly.

Mind = blown! at the shear inability to make rational social communications by this developer. This fallout has yet to end because with all the refund requests that Steam is going to get with link back to this video, I'm almost 110% sure the game will be pulled from the store.

Thank god for Jim fuckin Sterling son!

Developer meltdowns are always fun, best thing to come out of the indie scene, I hope we don't have to wait too long for the next one.
Still it's a shame that the video's on the youtube are gone, both were hilarious. Legal action will be fun, isn't polaris (the network Jim's part of) owned by Disney now? because it'd be funny to see the developer going to court with whatever lawyer they could afford and come face to face with a Disney Lawyer. Mickey Mouse ain't got no time to be dealing with fools developers.

Interesting choice of new intro music. It'd be nice if you kept it.

I hadn't heard about this because 1. I don't pay attention to anything with zombies in it anymore, and 2. Greenlight is indeed an open sewer and I don't take notice of anything that's early access at this point.

Though whenever a shit game concept or game spam comes up on Greenlight, I send a report to Steam, and I always end it with, "Practice quality control." Clearly they're still not listening.

Anyway, between crap like this and the bland-looking games coming from the "AAA" publishers, it's no wonder that most of the games I regularly play are at least five years old.

Good lord, these developers are complete goddamned morons.

The original meltdown was bad enough, but they actually went and filed a copyright strike over it too. What short-sighted losers, lol. They're either really freaking dumb, or completely out of the loop when it comes to gaming news. Pulling this sort of stunt *never* ends well. Best case scenario, this studio winds up a punchline that is remembered more for how it was utterly crushed by Jim Fucking Sterling Son, than for the actual games it made.

Worst case, they shut down, re-brand themselves under a different name to escape the shame, and probably pull this same exact shit again later down the road.

Take it to 'em Jim, and thank God for you.

Dammit, no links? Now I have to research it myself... Ugh...

The Lunatic:

Given his statement on the whole Zoe Quinn thing it seems really hypocritical to now be engaging in harassment with this much glee.

I'm not against Jim having opinions on people, but, using a stage to broadcast his dislike of a person is basically exactly what he was criticising people for doing during the whole ZQ episode.

Whilst I admit, the developer seems a little immature, he's hardly the first to be defensive of his creation and I think it's very wrong to be focusing on the creator rather than the creation.

When someone aims a bunch of personal attacks at someone and they respond its called an "argument" not "harassment", you could argue about its maturity but getting insulted, having part of your livelihood put under threat and threatened with unwarranted legal action means the person responding to it isn't "bullying" anyone.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/329950/discussions/4/613941122760072477/

^^^
A response from the devs on the current situation...

I like how they are calling themselves "YourFriendlyDeveloper".

There's shitty, shady devs and there's these guys. The severe lack of self-awareness or to the attitudes of others screams behavioral problems. I know autism is banded around the internet as a de facto insult but in this case I really believe the guys is full on arseburgers.

Rawbeard:
This whole thing would have been forgotten by now.

Hell, Jim does like 30 of these a week. To most people, it was just a funny look at a bad game.

JarinArenos:

This post makes me angry, because you make no mention of the glorious mute button that is part of the video player. I'm going to have to review you now.

KDR_11k:
Too bad all this abuse and idiocy doesn't rank as high as threatening GabeN on the Steam importance chart. Removing this game would be a public service...

Well, in fairness, if you threaten the guy who owns the store (even potentially in jest), you're probably making it to the front of the line of games removed.

On the other hand, it kinda sucks that it takes almost that level of attention to get something resolved on Steam.

The Lunatic:

Who? This isn't about Zoe Quinn (whoever that is), it's about ethics in journalism!

The Lunatic:

So stealing assets, censoring criticism and profiting by mis-selling a product is OK but criticizing the act of doing it isn't? I'm sorry but if someone was selling my work as part of some shitty craft work and claiming it to be theirs I'd be pretty immature in my response. Jim has done a service by pointing out this and attacking the developers disregard for other peoples work and taking no criticism for their own failings is perfectly legitimate. You would call out someone if they cheated their way to the top while you worked hard at achieving something, so why is this any different?

J Tyran:
When someone aims a bunch of personal attacks at someone and they respond its called an "argument" not "harassment", you could argue about its maturity but getting insulted, having part of your livelihood put under threat and threatened with unwarranted legal action means the person responding to it isn't "bullying" anyone.

You mean like how mundane matt got insulted by Zoe Quinn and a DMCA filed against him?

Huh.

Sounds familiar.

silverleaf81:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/329950/discussions/4/613941122760072477/

^^^
A response from the devs on the current situation..

I like how they are calling themselves "YourFriendlyDeveloper".

Oh man, all of that tough-talk about how they have a 'legitimate claim' and that a court will decide who really needs to give who an apology.

If they think Jim Fucking Sterling Son is going to be the one to blink over this, well, I hate to burst their bubble. He's probably the second-worst person on youtube they could have tried to pull this stunt on after Totalbiscuit.

This is gonna be fun :)

Jim fucking Sterling Son!

Said all that I needed to about this terrible 13 year old developer on other channels... wait. More at the end here.
Oh how quaint. A take-down notice on YouTube. What (an?) absolute douche. Not only is (he?) talentless, can't take criticism and a plain foul-mouthed brat, he's also a coward who likes digging holes. Good job. Son.

Renegade-pizza:
I kept thinking about this seemingly popular gif:

http://24.media.tumblr.com/097f85a1143fae773093cde9bcb20f56/tumblr_n6tw4qU3k61qdlh1io1_400.gif

Oh god. So satisfying.

The Lunatic:

There is a HUGE difference between personally attacking an individual and criticizing the terrible practices of a company. You'll note how I kept this video impersonal with regards to the people involved, and shared no social media details of ImminentUprising or Digital Homicide. You'll note how they are the ones who actually started with the personal attacks, and you'll note how they're now wielding the legal system like a weapon to silence criticism they dislike.

The individuals that make up the two-man team behind The Slaughtering Grounds do not interest me in the slightest. I am not sending them unsolicited and unwanted messages. They used their platform to lash out at me. I'm using mine. Your attempts to liken this to an organized and months-long string of personal abuse aimed at a single individual is worrying, to say the least.

That's my lot on this. I am *not* having this turn into yet ANOTHER fucking GamerGate episode. You have no idea how utterly, thoroughly fucking tiresome that's gotten.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here