Zero Punctuation: Little Big Planet

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 NEXT

Psychemaster:
This critique (not going to call it a review) lost all meaning to me as soon it cut to the googley-eyed arse bit.

Anyone else think Mr. Croshaw is losing his touch a little?

Agreed. I thought he lost his touch around when he reviewed MGS4; he sounded like a 12 year old xbox fanboy in that review. It seems he relys on his typically bad, cheap gags and the fact he rips every game to get views.

y8c616:

Psychemaster:
This critique (not going to call it a review) lost all meaning to me as soon it cut to the googley-eyed arse bit.

Agreed. I thought he lost his touch around when he reviewed MGS4; he sounded like a 12 year old xbox fanboy in that review. It seems he relys on his typically bad, cheap gags and the fact he rips every game to get views.

It is at this point, that I say for the five hundredth time, that people should not treat ZP as a review series, but as a comedy series. I disagree massively with most of his opinions, but he's still hilarious.

This episode gives a whole new meaning to 'hindsight' XD

Wasder:

y8c616:

Psychemaster:

It is at this point, that I say for the five hundredth time, that people should not treat ZP as a review series, but as a comedy series. I disagree massively with most of his opinions, but he's still hilarious.

Yeah i started treating the ZP series this way since he started ripping games that are actually good/ i like, instead of games that are either over rated or shite (Halo 3 and SSBB respectively)
There are some classic comedy moments too, such as the sketch at the end of The Witcher episode, but recent ones have seen the comedy become of a lesser standard (IE pants with eyes)

Really, is it really that hard to understand that there are good and bad things about most games?

The starry-eyed wonders that you call "good" games have flaws as well. Hell, Yahtzee even criticized one of his dream team games respectively; Prince of Persia. He genuinely liked Fallout 3 but even Fallout 3 has its flaws. He liked Gears of War 2, but again - flaws. I could go on and on here.

It's called fanboy'izm, get over it. You are not, nor ever will be, Solid Snake running through the bush trying to back stab anyone who crosses your path. You ARE, however, a guy who just recently paid around 60 dollars for a piece of entertainment via time-sink.

LBP is a decent game, but it's paced terribly.

ow....brain...unable to process.....*implodes* thats better

good review

Evilbunny:
I liked the part with the dancing. Although I disagree with his thoughts on user made content.

Yeah , the dancing was cool...

y8c616:

Wasder:

y8c616:

Psychemaster:

Yeah i started treating the ZP series this way since he started ripping games that are actually good/ i like, instead of games that are either over rated or shite (Halo 3 and SSBB respectively)
There are some classic comedy moments too, such as the sketch at the end of The Witcher episode, but recent ones have seen the comedy become of a lesser standard (IE pants with eyes)

How does that make sense? That's like if you went to a roast and laughed when everyone got made fun of, but when you got made fun of, you got mad and walked out.

Well, I generally don't find a point in commenting on the video content, particularly for Zero Punctuation, but I accidently clicked on the thread so I thought I'd serve as a foil to counteract some of the rampant whining that's been going on.

Yahtzee is and has been a very clever critic, combining visual humor with colorful analogies to review games under a particularly harsh lens. Each episode is full of valid points from a gamer or game design standpoint coupled with the opinions of Mr. Croshaw himself. Unlike some, I do not find any grievance with this because in many ways it feels more personal, like when you ask a friend what they thought about game X. The fact that he does not give scores and may not even express a clear-cut opinion over whether or not he 'likes' the game makes him seem more like a real person than some rubberstamping faceless review entity. I would much, much rather know what a person thinks about the various aspects of a game than that they gave it a 9.375 out of a possible 10.2 or what have you. This also allows much more for one's own personal preferences to come into play. Chances are that you as a gamer know what it is that you want out of your videogames, whether it's a compelling story or replayability or good graphics or remakes of last-gen games with slightly improved graphics.(To the last crowd: I hate you.) If you have a more complete picture of what's in the game you can judge it to your own personal, internal review-o-meter to figure out how the game will hold up for you. I don't think Yahtzee sees himself as just a comedian, or just a reviewer. I think he's just a fucking guy giving his own opinions and impressions on a game in a manner devised to be entertaining and informative... And apparently his style of critique is appealing enough to make you watch, so he must be doing something right.

Also, one more note- When you have typos and spelling errors in your complaints, particularly within simple, basic words, your post loses a lot of its credibility.

I never needed to see the googly eyes on the ass.

As he said, the game is so insubstantial it's hard to even find things to joke about. A big helping of nothing is what LBP was to me.
Oh, and a scary feeling that I've reached the age of your average level designer, since every level reminded me of some half-forgotten children's book or TV show from the very early 1980's. Creepy, but in a nostalgic way.

Wasder:
[quote="y8c616" post="6.86626.1303444"]that I say for the five hundredth time, that people should not treat ZP as a review series, but as a comedy series

And for the 500th time we will tell you it's just a convenient excuse to demote a reviewer you don't agree with. FAIL.

Air Conditioner busted in Australia? I hope you survive.
Good review, tho it was not a game i was expecting to be reviewed

Podunk:
Yahtzee is and has been a very clever critic, combining visual humor with colorful analogies to review games under a particularly harsh lens. Each episode is full of valid points from a gamer or game design standpoint coupled with the opinions of Mr. Croshaw himself.

Yeah and the problem is when people who use mommy's money to buy games that they like. So are therefor forced to worship a certain system get all up in arms about a game that is exposing its flaws.

A rational person would look at a game review from Yahtzee, realize its flaws, and say, "Okay, I can deal with that, it sounds like a good game to me." Then move on, but you get these fools, who are forced to worship one system, defend it like their world will collapse if its divine power is relinquished from it.

y8c616:

Psychemaster:

He's always done that. I don't see why you would be bothered by it. I still know a few things from this video:

- The 3D platforming sucks, just like any games that tries to employ the concept.
- The levels that come with the game are really nice.
- Players are unreliable to make good levels, though I learned that from Age of Mythology. Then again, some of those were great.
- Yahtzee enjoys ripping eyes off of teddy bears and glueing them to his boxers.

I'm not trying to defend Yahtzee, but it should be known that attacking him is pointless because the "flaws" brought up against him are either obvious (and not considered flaws when you look at them in the right context, which should be that of a comedy series with some satire) or unfound.

Honestly I think this was worst Zero Punctuation episode yet, all i managed to get from it was Little Big Planet is a game and that the PS3 is a console.

I spent the entire time sitting there whispering to myself "Please not let it be Yahtzee's Butt...Please not let it be Yahtzee's Butt...Please not let it be Yahtzee's Butt..."
BUT APPARENTLY IT WAS, AND SO - AS I HAVE SEEN HIM IN PERSON - I WILL BE FOREVER SCARRED.

Great review. Unfortunately, the eyes are burned into my head forever. Thanks Yahtzee. Thanks a lot.

xdiesp:

Wasder:
[quote="y8c616" post="6.86626.1303444"]that I say for the five hundredth time, that people should not treat ZP as a review series, but as a comedy series

And for the 500th time we will tell you it's just a convenient excuse to demote a reviewer you don't agree with. FAIL.

So you agree with him? Well I hope that you find something in the universe that you like.

good stuff, good stuff.

Haxordude:
Honestly I think this was worst Zero Punctuation episode yet, all i managed to get from it was Little Big Planet is a game and that the PS3 is a console.

So, you deaf or what?

Awesome Vid :D

Really what I expected from a LBP review, apart from the ass.

Lol'd all the same.

holy shit, Yahtzee hade a reference to LBP, i officially want to marry him.

Wasder:
So you agree with him? Well I hope that you find something in the universe that you like.

Wow you just still don't get it, do you; I'm not surprised.

Haxordude:

You should have watched the video.

The pants were looking at meee!

I've not played that game though. And I agree; I hate user made content. Even (or, perhaps, especially, my own...)

The Immortal:
[quote="y8c616" post="6.86626.1303444"]
- The 3D platforming sucks, just like any games that tries to employ the concept.

LittleBigPlanet is not really a 3D platformer, but more of a 2.5D platformer. The act of changing depth in the game is rarely required from a gameplay perspective, and the game automatically puts you on the first available platform you happen to drop past no matter what depth you are on. It actually works really well, though does have a few problems in SPECIAL cases, which happen quite rarely and probably won't be experienced at all by a lot of players.

I think it is indicative of how little substance this review had that the majority of comments in this thread are about the pants dancing routine. Personally, I think Yahtzee just doesn't much care about this job anymore.

The underwear with eyeball thing freaked me out also why are people banned for saying sweet?

merkaba48:
LittleBigPlanet is not really a 3D platformer, but more of a 2.5D platformer. The act of changing depth in the game is rarely required from a gameplay perspective, and the game automatically puts you on the first available platform you happen to drop past no matter what depth you are on. It actually works really well, though does have a few problems in SPECIAL cases, which happen quite rarely and probably won't be experienced at all by a lot of players.

All he said was that it was annoying. He, not at one point, said it was a make or break situation. In fact, he actually liked the single player game. "2.5D" games generally have this platforming problem.

funny as usual but other eps where funnier but still good
Piiist the eyes freak me out

12 pages..I wonder how many were banned because they liked the dancing boxer underwear.
I think it's just a gamer who makes videos about his experiences with video games..PS3/360 and Nintendo.

i think those eyes will haunt all of us.

Offatwork:
Wow you guys just don't get it. I hate to use an oxymoron here but it is a complete near-miss with you guys, with regards to this vid.

The dude clearly says that he likes the "game" part of the game. Ya know, the one with the levels that were developed by actual game designers. However that's it; that's where the line stops.

He also says the user content is cool but pretty stupid to base a game about. It's great to have in games that have actual content because it's like that added topping of nutmeg to make everyone happy. Though since he believes that most people are mediocre, retarded morons, like "theultimateend" proves in his posts (kudos to you all for proving Yahtzee's point as well), a game created solely for user-created content is a bad idea since no one should have to wade through all the bile in order to find the golden needle.

So in the end proving that a game focused around user-created content is like eating the jar of nutmeg; or the bile, however you want to look at it (funny, much like wading through these posts).

Pretty much the same feeling here. It's the same reasoning around his Halo 3 video; a game receiving outstanding reviews shouldn't need anything to excuse another aspect of it. When I first saw the game advertised on TV I had no idea what the game... well, was. Doesn't exactly start my opinion of LBP off on the best foot right there. Only after watching this review did I decide to actually look up a gameplay video on youtube to confirm what was being said. At that point I thought 'meh', nothing special here.

However I fall into the same boat as the herculean exemplar being a gamer in his 20s myself. That being said LBP's overly cute aesthetic would be more appealing were I half my age; a fact that he did address in the video. Really not much else to say; accurate and fair as always from a review standpoint, hilarious enough for repeated viewings (my mother burst out laughing at the 'fuck off mother' bit).

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here