Zero Punctuation: Little Big Planet

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 NEXT

cool review :) i really like lbp, and still i think this review was great! i cant say anything about if croshaw's evolution is positive or negative since i've started watching it only recently, but i've always had the idea that the whole point of the reviews was to point the bad things in all games - hence the final comments, like "worse than hitler ben 'yahtzee' croshaw". mind me, i think the whole point is to be evil towards games that the masses love! i like rpg's (amongst which jrpg's), little big planet, heavenly sword and tomb raider, and i can still find it in me to agree with some points in yahtzee's "reviews", and LIKING them!

Great review, though i'm suprised he didn't say anything about how the Creator Content would have penis-shaped levels or any other sexual stuff (cause 90% of Creator Content is sexual with today's mature audience) ANd the googly eye pants freaked me out, big time.

Copter400:

DanTheBigMan:
My, my...
Seems someone's in a bit of a rut this time around, eh?
Perhaps that's because he actually liked the game, but hated himself for it.

I've got to wonder, why does someone always come up with this these days when there's a negative review? "He does not hate the game, he hates himself! VERR' psychological!"

Because be basically said so himself. He said he kinda liked it, but didn't because it was insubstantial. So excuse me for being Captain Obvious here, but when cynics like you come around, I think it's necessary. :D

Ah! I saw the Ring! Am I going to die in 7 days?

I could have gone without the googly-eye dancing, but a good review nonetheless.

Its probably a bit late to say this but at the time of this review most of Australia was in heat-wave for about 3 days than 2 days afterwords I wouldn't have been surprised if Yahtzee where to post white noise for his review god knows I was stuck in that kitchen for hours on end and i saw some pink elephants myself

The review was pure genius, as always, and the googly-eyed pants dance was hilarious.

I don't have a PS3 and have still yet to see a need for one, and LBP certainly wasn't going to be the game that sold me on it. My feelings are very much the same about UCC - if you're going to have a full-featured game that happens to include a toolbox for modders, excellent. That just means I'll have more content to enjoy after I've finished the content I paid for. But if it feels like the game is really just a toolbox with a few levels included as padding, I don't really see the point.

Was that Yahtzee's ass jiggling with the googley eyes there 0_0

Ive been wanting to play LBP, I tried out a level or 2 in Zavii and it was ok at best. But thats from only a small segment ive been watning to play mroe of the game to get a proper feel for it.

I think making your own levels if you can make them good enough and plenty of fun can probably expand the games life span. But obviosuly there are downfalls to this but if there made really well and alot of effort is put into them i think it would be really fun.

But i never understood the hype about LBP. I would consider it a good game, but its not anything amazingly special :-/

I was a big fan of the game until I realized:

a) I hated grinding endlessly in "story mode" in order to get trinkets to use in my own levels

b) That creating levels took time and effort I didn't have to spare. What free time I do have I want some escapist fun in a video game not wearing out my thumbs trying to prove I'm some game designer.

Very good review, ive been beating around the bush of whether or not to get LBP, and this convinced me not to. Im not bothered to create my own stuff, and the vast majority of UGC will be utter garbage, with some smatterings of a good level here and there, like pretty flies from some foreign land that dont normally spend time near your local garbage area.

Googly eyed boxers dance, genius, or an attempt to shatter my fragile psyche? Knowing Yahtzee, its probably both.

Wasder:
The eyes are scary. Very scary. I will have nightmares.

the boxer part was funny, but I also found it somewhat disturbing.

The end was great :D

have to agree with everybody else, witch makes this post of mine useless, but i never understood the big deal with LBP, its just a bad (or just average at best) platformer that has no real plot or appeal exept the gargantuan pile of "cute".

its good finaly hear that one critic wasnt sweept away by this, cus everybody else is all over this box of the average, just as the Japanese is all over pettite schoolgirls

PS love all your reviews, even the ones i dont agree on.

And Btw, there is no need to complain about release dates Down Under, here in Norway its realy bad.
for instance silent hill: homecoming, you posted it on the 22nd of october, well here in Norway its not released before the 26th of this month (febuary)
so i know how unfair it is that those american rednecks gets their greasy hands on everything first.

But this is just this fan's broken motor whining. keep up the good work!

Finally got to see it (Video wouldn't play at all).

Very good review, although the boxer shorts and googly eyes thing has disturbed me. Hope you've got your air-con fixed now!

Industrial-strenght Fan:
And Btw, there is no need to complain about release dates Down Under, here in Norway its realy bad.
for instance silent hill: homecoming, you posted it on the 22nd of october, well here in Norway its not released before the 26th of this month (febuary)
so i know how unfair it is that those american rednecks gets their greasy hands on everything first.

But this is just this fan's broken motor whining. keep up the good work!

That does suck. It does get me annoyed when the release dates' gap is the big. I wanted to play Brawl with some of my Germany buddies and they didn't get their hands on it for a while.

On topic-I hated LBP cause it was a crappy platformer. And I love Platformers.

The eyes!!! O_O

lol, but that was definitely one of the more creative reviews, even though it was mostly filler since it wasn't a very deep game.

I hate those eyes!

Great review I really agree with it since I havent got a ps3 (lol jk)

very interesting it sounds a lot like my review I released a week earlier on deviantart
for that rant, click here http://gerazzi.deviantart.com/art/LittleBigPlanet-Review-110694818
otherwise, I completely agree with you on this front

Im probably going to be one of the few people to actually say this:

I didnt actually like this episode.
Personally i found it quite weak compared to others [e.g: eve online or saints row 2]
it seems to me that Yahtzee couldnt think of that much to say about the game [good or bad] hence the 'googly pant thingy' which i found to be just stupid and not in entertaining way.

Im probably going to be verbally assaulted by yahtzee fanboys but what the hey right? its better then constantly seeing 'i agree' posts constantly...

Ha made of chocolate! There just isn't anything good for the PS3, i'm kinda depressed having one. Oh and if anyone says 'not all games are bad, mirrors edge [insert rest of useless comment here]' or anything to that effect then just be sure, you've made my list.

y so curious

i agree

Emmitt_Nervend:
I wonder if that was Yahtzee's ass shaking.

wy so curious about it lol jk

google eyes...aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My brother plays the same song on his saxophone that was playing alongside the eye-ass. Nice going with "Earhole" and "Cochlea"

do you know what i dont get? why little big planet got like five awards in the GDC awards

God I must sound like such a cynical gamer being able to agree with a lot of Yahtzee's reviews but I'm really not... I don't think. I guess I'm starting to do that to myself slightly by starting to become a bit more serious about gaming and actually critiquing for myself. Okay I will admit Little Big Planet is okay for 2 or more player game as I did find great amusement in watching others people die and getting them stuck on the opposite side of the screen after succesfully completing a puzzle myself. Other than that I think if I bought and had to play it on my own I'd find it insanely boring.

This must make me think why I bought a PS3 in the first place (saying that I am planning to buy a 360 in the future to broaden my expirience if nothing else) but I suppose its loyalty if nothing else. As the console wars stands there is always going to be some bias for people, and I guess mine is loyalty, being that a Playstation was my first console and it hasn't let me down since and I'm still banking on that.

Evilbunny:
I liked the part with the dancing. Although I disagree with his thoughts on user made content.

I concur. I can find great levels on a daily basis (perhaps because the community has had some time to warm up) and level packs are sure to lengthen the story mode buff's play time. Also, the eyeball dance thing makes me crack up every time.

I loved the dance. It is a strange sensation. Really did anyone feel hypnotized by that strange googly-eyed dance?

Either way, LBP has some good levels.

Best one I ever played was this sea level made by some japanese bloke. Fantastic experience.

I didn't really need to see you shaking your ass Yahtzee, don't ever show me that again. I assume that was your ass.
Anyway I completely agree with you regarding the user made content though, apparently whoever it is that on the LBP dev team who thinks that courting user made content is a good idea obviously hasn't been on the internet lately. Go to any website that allows people to share their "creativity",like say YouTube or any Fanfic site, for proof as to why user made anything is a BAD IDEA!! Using the imagery of the bud and flower, I think that anything the "buds" from the minds of most people tends burst forth into one of those haunted trees you see in animated Halloween movies for kids.

watching the dancing pants I found my head cocking to one side like a dog in a room full of clarinet players

Little Big Planet was the first game I owned for the PS3 by way of a bundle pack for the console. The narrator's reassuring voice did make that jet black monolith somewhat "cute". They further ran along with this strategy by way of including the Bluray version of Wall-E in the aforementioned bundle pack. They aren't fooling anyone with their family friendly ploys, though.

I died laughing when he said `Here`s something else to pass the time.``

Eternal-Blood:

This must make me think why I bought a PS3 in the first place (saying that I am planning to buy a 360 in the future to broaden my expirience if nothing else) but I suppose its loyalty if nothing else. As the console wars stands there is always going to be some bias for people, and I guess mine is loyalty, being that a Playstation was my first console and it hasn't let me down since and I'm still banking on that.

As was mine, and I had me a fierce loyalty back in the Playstation 2 days... but when the three came out I was like... Ehhh... Sony... I don't know. The lack of adequate backwards compatibility is what killed it for me I think... and as far as blu-ray goes, I'm one of those belligerent people who don't jump on the new formats if it means I have to buy all of my crap again (I was all about VHS and cassette until I realized that there was less of a gamble with DVD and CD as to whether the player was going to pulverize my thing). Now my 2 has seen better days and I'll probably just buy another one. They would have had me sold if they'd have just made the PS3 backwards compatible.

As for the googly-eye pants... I'm just going to blame that on heat stroke and pretend it never happened... 0_0

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here