Zero Punctuation: Little Big Planet

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 NEXT

LBP is a very good game, it's a shame that Yahtzee didn't really focus on the elements that make the game and instead decided to dick about for most of the interview.

Yeah there is a lot of bollocks in the community made levels, but I would say that the number of genuine attempts at fun levels outweighs the terrible ones. The only bad point I would mention in this department is that the game currently doesn't offer great community tools (searching, catagorising, etc). I keep coming across the same levels even though there must be thousands of them available (the 'Quick Play' option, which loads up a random level is pretty handy for trying new levels).

But the game looks fantastic, it really sounds fantastic, has great music, and if you want to create your own levels then the tools are pretty easy to use and you can do some very interesting stuff with them.

And automatic depth switching isn't as bad as Yahtzee's diagram suggests (which makes it seem like you'll randomly die when making a simple jump).

I will reiterate: LBP is a very good game. It is extremely polished and the story mode is quite fun with some beautiful level design, and generally very kooky humour that is enjoyable if you can enjoy something like that without saying "uhh this game is for kids".

I guess it all depends on what you are after. LittleBigPlanet is a game for people who enjoy exploring, experiencing interesting designs, non-violent gameplay (except for the burning the stabbing the spiking the electrifying and the squishing, and the blowing things up).
Creative people should consider looking into LBP as well, for obvious reasons. Even if you never open up the editor, the game levels are full of interesting designs. The story part of LBP is as much an art canvas as it is a game.

It would not appeal to an adrenaline-junkie (although some of the mini-games can get quite intense if you are good enough to get far into them).

I can't help but feel that Yahtzee is nowadays giving people what he thinks they want rather than writing properly considered reviews. Yes I know he has always been very hard when it comes to reviewing games, but recently a lot of the bad points he brings up feel like they are there just for the sake of saying something bad and keeping his rep going, rather than making an actual point. Time for a holiday?

Oh my God that was fantastic. BTW, im a philipino boy... ;_;

I really enjoyed the design of the sack puppet thing ... avatars... I guess... what would you call the little white (or black) Yahtzee things?
Yatzeetars...

Avatzees...

Anyway, when I saw the little sack puppet i almost spit root beer all over my computer screen it was so funny.

Geo Da Sponge:

Indigo_Dingo:

Geo Da Sponge:

Indigo_Dingo:
Didn't really work. The review seemed to be more bashing the game in theory than in function. He only referenced it in what could happen, rather than what does happen - the engine will never allow you to fall through the 3D plane, most people choose to dress with some flair (I dress up like Jamie Hynemann) and using actual search parameters you can find some real gems quite easily.

Yes, but you wouldn't like the game unless he declared it the holy messiah, ie. agreed with you. That would rather defeat the point of a review though. Anyway, since it's just your word against his, I believe him. He hasn't shown anything like the same fanboy tendencies as you, as much as you like to whine about him doing so.

No, he's shown the "everything in life is awful, so live in a state of pure misery" tendencies.

Yes, and that's why he's given a shining review of many games in his time. I meam he doesn't even particularly dislike LBP from what I heard. Certainly, he enjoyed the pre-made content that the game came with. He even complemented the mods on deleting stuff that isn't any good, and describing how he liked the level editor itself.

You're like any number of fanboys who will complain when their favourite game gets 'only' a 9 out of 10.

Because the reasons be gave are insubstantiated. He claims there is nothing worthwhile being created - I just finished playing one right now. He claims the plane adjustor will kill you every time - I find it does nothing of the sort.

That googly eye ass thing was awesome. I have never laughed so hard at a Zp video before. Great review as always.

Sweet jesus I hate googly eyes they are worse than all the horrors in the world combined.

Hmm, i am still confused as to if he likes it or not. I am not going to buy it but he seemed very unsure which is unlike Yahtzee.

Still, the googly eye pants dance was one of the funniest things i've seen on ZP for sometime. I almost spat my drink over my keyboard =P

hahaha i managed to snort my Sprite out of my nose when the googly arse thing came on.

(Is it me or does he have a really nice arse)

Indigo_Dingo:
Because the reasons be gave are insubstantiated. He claims there is nothing worthwhile being created - I just finished playing one right now. He claims the plane adjustor will kill you every time - I find it does nothing of the sort.

Huwhaaat? You and him disagree? I guess that if you both own the game one of you must be wrong... alternatively it could be a difference in opinion and you telling him that his experience is wrong seems ridiculous.

Plus he doesn't say there's nothing worthwhile being created. He just said that it's a pain in the arse to find, although the mods do help clean out the shit. Nor does he say the plane adjustor will kill you every time, he merely suggests that it can go wrong ocassionally, and from my own experience I know that the occassional fault in a system can drive you nuts even when it only happens rarely. Okay, I admit, I have no first hand experience of this specific problem to know how bad it is, but he does, and if he thinks it's a problem then that's his choice.

If your opinion is otherwise then fair enough, but you trying to promote your way of seeing things over Yahtzee's (or vice versa) is stupid.

The googly eye arse dance was hilarious. :)

Pity the scary eyes at the end were spoil by the 'Unskippable' trailer.

end was scary. those eyes!!! (good job)

1) I hope that wasn't his butt
2) There is a search tool that lets you specifically search for levels rated extremely highly by the community. You're not wading through a river at all
3) The included levels do stand on their own.

Emmitt_Nervend:
I wonder if that was Yahtzee's ass shaking.

Who knows?

Radu889:
Dear god... We need to find a way to kill those googly eyed pants.

With Fire!

Yep he hit that one right on the head.

This was another amusing one for me, especially the googly-eyed pants.

Nice use of Dr Manhatten- loved watchmen

Funny review, i only wish that he'd make a few more varied points instead of resting on jokes he establishes from the beginning of the video

I am in complete and utter agreement with Yahtzee about UGC. See, if a game like Oblivion, which has the most user-friendly construction set I've ever seen in a PC game, can nonetheless have a good-to-crap ratio that's about two dozen to infinity, that's exactly the reason why I'm glad professional game people created the bulk of the content (even if the 24 or so mods in question are so indispensable that you wonder why Bethesda hasn't just hired the whole lot of them to do TES5). Yahtzee is exactly spot-on with his viewpoint about the utter laziness and idiocy associated with sending some idiot to do your job for you and calling it a feature.

He loved it, he probably had a lot of fun with the level editor, I just think he's ashamed to say it.

Yeah nice review. But would be better if there was a girl shaking her ass. :>

Indigo_Dingo:
He claims the plane adjustor will kill you every time - I find it does nothing of the sort.

Exactly, I've found it's nigh perfect. It will always move you to an available layer to prevent death

Good - Googly Eye Boxers
Bad - Tired Yahzee

Now would be a good time for Escapist to pay him a ticket to Hawaii so he can rest his creative brains and provide us with new fun content to watch.

please tell me that dancing ass wasn't Yahtzee

cause that would have scared me

Geo Da Sponge:

Indigo_Dingo:

Huwhaaat? You and him disagree? I guess that if you both own the game one of you must be wrong... alternatively it could be a difference in opinion and you telling him that his experience is wrong seems ridiculous.

Plus he doesn't say there's nothing worthwhile being created. He just said that it's a pain in the arse to find, although the mods do help clean out the shit. Nor does he say the plane adjustor will kill you every time, he merely suggests that it can go wrong ocassionally, and from my own experience I know that the occassional fault in a system can drive you nuts even when it only happens rarely. Okay, I admit, I have no first hand experience of this specific problem to know how bad it is, but he does, and if he thinks it's a problem then that's his choice.

If your opinion is otherwise then fair enough, but you trying to promote your way of seeing things over Yahtzee's (or vice versa) is stupid.

What I'm saying is that he was overreacting. And while that is his typical style, I wanted to try and put things in perspective - its also a bitch to find anything good in the modern gaming market, the modding scene, the indy scene, modern art, or anything that has ever existed since the Egyptians figured out the best stone for bulding pyramids tended to not grow right by where they wanted the pyramids.

Hmm, the 2nd pants but made me think of Doom House, but not as scary :). Anyway, no input from my side on LBP since personally I find it too expensive considering the genre. Once it drops to say, 30 euros somewhere, I might pick it up and stress test the physics engine - it might be good enough to use in class.

Dele:
Good - Googly Eye Boxers
Bad - Tired Yahzee

Now would be a good time for Escapist to pay him a ticket to Hawaii so he can rest his creative brains and provide us with new fun content to watch.

How would Hawaii be better than the Gold Coast?

I keep getting a message saying:

200, stream not found, Netstream.Play.StreamNotFound, clip: '[Clip] '530"

Can anyone help me with this?

Indigo_Dingo:
What I'm saying is that he was overreacting. And while that is his typical style, I wanted to try and put things in perspective - its also a bitch to find anything good in the modern gaming market, the modding scene, the indy scene, modern art, or anything that has ever existed since the Egyptians figured out the best stone for bulding pyramids tended to not grow right by where they wanted the pyramids.

Sounds about right (except for the whole 'stones growing' thing, but that's not important). Good to see that two people of opposed viewpoints on the interent can reach a proper compromise. Altruism all round!

Dude this one is hilarious, I have got to show it to my friend James. He likes LBP so friggin much and I would love to see his reaction to this review. Oh yeah one more thing, CRAZY ASSBALLS!!! You heard me. Well, read me. You get what I mean!

Well, this is one review I agree wholeheartedly with... I've sat with LBP for about an hour at a friends', and it really struck me as something... Well, it was fun enough, and it had a certain charming appeal with regards to it's looks, but somehow, it didn't feel like a whole GAME. It was more like something that should have been released for half the price over PSN.

And those googley-eyed pants... *shivers*

Why does he have a roblem with the one game that focused around just having fun instead of grit, when hes always complaining about grit? This should have been right up his alley, and all of the problems he had were tiny, Especially online play. every level gets rated by other people, so he doesnt have to play the bad ones, and its not hard to find a good one.

Fun review. I love LBP but he's right; the community levels exist in one of two forms: Awesome and awful, n'ere twixt the two shall meet. The main game? Fantastic, especially with friends around, and the same goes for making your own. I've been crafting my own but, again, it's better with friends, y'know?

Good review. Flabby ass.

oh and he didnt even play all of gears, or he would have found out about dons wife, that was sad man (and chest high walls are kinda like regular walls, there there because if they werent, gameplay wouldnt be possible)

The dancing thing... umm. Yeh. *walks off confused*

blah blah blah googley eyes, blah blah blah, run away!

Never in a million years have I even dreamed someone would have the same opinion of user created content as I do. I almost wet myself when he made the house analogy.

Well I'm going to be scared of boxer-shorts for the rest of my life now...

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here