Escape to the Movies: Trailer Park - Star Wars, Jurassic World & Terminator

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Trailer Park - Star Wars, Jurassic World & Terminator

Bob reviews a few of the latest high profile trailers.

Watch Video

What? You didn't review The Pyramid? It might make more than $1 million over the weekend.

I was kinda hoping for a review of Horrible Bosses 2. I just saw it last night and it seems like the kind of thing he'd review. Instead we get the third straight video from him about Jurassic World. And I give no god damn fucks about that, Star Wars or Terminator.

I had the same reaction to the Terminator trailer. It wasn't what I was expecting. But if they're going to do some kind of reboot, I can't think of a better way to do it.

The Star Wars trailer wasn't great for me, but the bit with the X-wings and the end piece with the Falcon made up for the ridiculous lightsaber and droid designs.

I'm sorry but while I understand the nostalgia behind these three franchises, I think that they just don't click for me

I'm 20, I say Jurassic Park, the first Terminator and all the Star Wars movies but ever since then, I've seen different and perhaps better from my anime and other movies. I bring up the Raid and action fans will typically say it's better than any of the Terminator or Star Wars movies. Crazy fantasy world with insane world and lore, I got the Fate franchise for that. Robots and cyberpunk, meet Psycho Pass and Ghost in the Shell. Jurassic Park is actually original compared to the other stuff i've seen but I'm skeptical about the hybrid concept and frankly, the story will be too dumb.

Either I'm growing too old and am demanding better or at least different from my nostalgia or I never had that strong an attachment

Izanagi009:
I bring up the Raid and action fans will typically say it's better than any of the Terminator or Star Wars movies.

Eventhough you can't really compare them to eachother at all? Seeing as Terminator and Star Wars had an actual plot.

OT: The new Terminator trailer looks horrible. It just oozes fanfiction, and from the looks of it makes it so the first movie never happened. I'm sorry, but I can't see that as anything but a big 'fuck you' to the franchise. Topped off by both John Conner and Kyle Reese being played by the most gingerbread men of all gingerbread men.

The new Star Wars I honestly don't care much about, and Jurassic World at least looks like a step up from the last two sequels, though that's not saying much.

Izanagi009:
...Either I'm growing too old and am demanding better or at least different from my nostalgia or I never had that strong an attachment

Yeah, that is probably it.

All the people that I have talked about that seems to be positive about a new Terminator do so almost only because of the presence of Schwarzenegger in it. The same with Star Wars and that scene with the Millennium Falcon, or the dinosaurs not changing despite the new knowledge on the field.

Not that I think they can't be good movies (although, statistically, there is a fairly good chance some of them aren't), but so far, all the promotional material seems to say "remember when this was cool?...", which is fine by me, but not going to turn many people that don't share that nostalgia...

Casual Shinji:

Izanagi009:
I bring up the Raid and action fans will typically say it's better than any of the Terminator or Star Wars movies.

Eventhough you can't really compare them to eachother at all? Seeing as Terminator and Star Wars had an actual plot.

OT: The new Terminator trailer looks horrible. It just oozes fanfiction, and from the looks of it makes it so the first movie never happened. I'm sorry, but I can't see that as anything but a big 'fuck you' to the franchise. Topped off by both John Conner and Kyle Reese being played by the most gingerbread men of all gingerbread men.

The new Star Wars I honestly don't care much about, and Jurassic World at least looks like a step up from the last two sequels, though that's not saying much.

I counter your raid argument with the Raid: Retribution which has a infernal affairs style plot in it and kept me invested and engaged with the circumstances

As for Terminator, yeah, I had a sneaking suspicion it felt self-indulgent

Star Wars is on thin ice for me and Jurassic World is just there.

"Come with me, if you want to suffer bad acting" I still love her eyebrows, though.

hermes200:

Izanagi009:
...Either I'm growing too old and am demanding better or at least different from my nostalgia or I never had that strong an attachment

Yeah, that is probably it.

All the people that I have talked about that seems to be positive about a new Terminator do so almost only because of the presence of Schwarzenegger in it. The same with Star Wars and that scene with the Millennium Falcon, or the dinosaurs not changing despite the new knowledge on the field.

Not that I think they can't be good movies (although, statistically, there is a fairly good chance some of them aren't), but so far, all the promotional material seems to say "remember when this was cool?...", which is fine by me, but not going to turn many people that don't share that nostalgia...

or people who share that nostalgia but also have found stuff that does their jobs better.

In the decade or so since their last releases, the internet has exposed my generation that had watched these when young to stuff from overseas or just older classics. Again, I have anime to replace a lot of what these movies do and more.

At this point, some of these older movies feel more like relics than anything genuine in quality and these newer movies don't make me feel confident.

Terminator seems quite fan-ficky, but it can't possibly blow up in the story like Beauty and the Beast: The Enchanted Christmas and Halo 4 did.

And I guess cheap-looking = nostalgic for the Star Wars trailer, but it's still cheap looking.

Much as I love Star Wars and Jurassic Park, I think I'm way more excited about Jupiter Ascending than based solely off the trailers. That looks super fun. Of course, Jurassic Park and Star Wars are fun, too, but Jupiter Ascending is new and [so far] untarnished, where as I've also consumed a lot of bad media from both the established franchises.

Casual Shinji:

OT: The new Terminator trailer looks horrible. It just oozes fanfiction, and from the looks of it makes it so the first movie never happened.

All franchised stories are just legally approved fanfictions anyway. If anything, I like the more free nature of the other kind of fanfiction, their only problem is the lack of production values. A high budget official sequel with that mentality, is far better than the bland, careful "canon" building of most official franchises.

Entitled:

Casual Shinji:

OT: The new Terminator trailer looks horrible. It just oozes fanfiction, and from the looks of it makes it so the first movie never happened.

All franchised stories are just legally approved fanfictions anyway. If anything, I like the more free nature of the other kind of fanfiction, their only problem is the lack of production values. A high budget official sequel with that mentality, is far better than the bland, careful "canon" building of most official franchises.

Most fanfiction however is this type of self insertion stuff. Basically taking the original story and genderflipping characters or putting in a new protagonist. That's what this new Terminator movie is shapping up to be. They literally seem to be taking the original movie and even the sequel and mashing them together into nonsense.

Watching that trailer highly reminded me of this...

I feel kinda cautiously optimistic about Star Wars: The Force Awakens and Jurassic World. It's the new Terminator that has me very iffy. All three look impressive judging from the trailers, but its hard to base how the final product will turn out just from trailers alone. Basically a "wait and see" period until 2015 hits.

As for Hollywood constantly making sequels, prequels, reboots, and what have you, its mostly their latest episode of "follow the trend". Until Hollywood stops going for easy sells and tries once again to man up and create original stuff, this is what we're getting. And if you want more original ideas on screen, start supporting it rather than throwing a cry-baby tantrum about it and do jack-squat to support anything that is original.

Oh, come on, Bob, you chose this over looking at the Birdman movie?
Micheal Keaton is phenomenal in that movie, man!

Izanagi009:

Casual Shinji:

Izanagi009:

I counter your raid argument with the Raid: Retribution which has a infernal affairs style plot in it and kept me invested and engaged with the circumstances

the first raid did have a plot but it was straight forward. A police team is betrayed by their superior in order to take down a drug ring in which on of the drug pushers is the raiding officers brother who broke away from a family of cops.
Technically Dredd has less of a plot and they're almost the same movie, no one criticizes it for that.
Though in terms of investment, we all knew that what to expect from Dredd (apart from a decent movie) The Raid excelled in it's action but turned out to be able to stand on its own because it wasn't how or why they got there it was about how they survive. Raid 2 wasn't even expected to have a sequel so they made the obvious improvements to story.

C.TYR:
Oh, come on, Bob, you chose this over looking at the Birdman movie?
Micheal Keaton is phenomenal in that movie, man!

He actually covered that in an intermission article a few weeks ago.

When i heard Emilia Clarke was going to play Sarah Connor i wasn't convinced she was a good fit for that character and the trailer hasn't done anything to change my opinion.

Though to be fair i can't think of anyone who could do a better job than Lynda Hamilton, I dunno maybe Jennifer Lawrence???

I'm excited about all those trailers. The Star Wars one has a few flaws in it for me (I do not like how the camera follows the Falcon through that entire shot because it doesn't feel like Star Wars), but I'm totally on board for the Jurassic World and Terminator movies. Especially if the Terminator movie is going to show more of that future war with purple laser guns.

These three trailers all impressed the heck out of me too. Terminator in particular really caught me by surprise. The idea of an in-canon reboot is pretty interesting and it's a great property to work with such a concept.

Also I will never be able to unsee the flying Fudgecicle. So thanks.

So the Mother of Dragons has a Terminator? Fucking awesome.

So did Jupiter Ascending got pushed back or something? I could of sworn it was supposed to be release this year?

OT- I guess next year will be another interest one when it come to films, let not forget Avengers 2 now!

I really don't get why a diverse cast is a good thing.

So instead of having all white people or all black people some of them will be black and some of them will be white. Woop de doo, how does that change anything about the plot the action, the acting or anything meaningful?

Casual Shinji:
Most fanfiction however is this type of self insertion stuff. Basically taking the original story and genderflipping characters or putting in a new protagonist.

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about too. It leaves the door open for a lot more original reinterpretations, than just continuing the same old canon.

Even in typical fanfiction, it can lead to some great stories in the hands of even remotely professional quality writers, it's really just that most of them are not that. The shallowness of the changed characters comes from the unpublished writers only having to pander to themselves alone, not to audiences.

Nowadays, with reboots being the trend, we are starting to see a lot of it, as for some reason the audiences finds it easier to take a "What if this story happened entirely differently?" premise than a "what happened next after they killed the villain?" premise.

Yeah, it really surprised me too ... seeing three old time classics that pretty much defined movies are coming out soon.

I mean, what were the chances of Jurassic Park, Star Wars, and Terminator all coming out at the same time with new movies.
Never dreamed of such a thing, but I do believe people WILL see all three regardless of reviews. I'm definitely seeing Jurassic World, and Star Wars ... and Terminator ...

... Jeez. If Aliens was coming out too, I think we'd officially call 2015 "Year of the Big Guns" cause ... those are some heavy duty movies that carries a lot of memories and popularity even to this day.

WhiteNachos:

So instead of having all white people or all black people some of them will be black and some of them will be white. Woop de doo, how does that change anything about the plot the action, the acting or anything meaningful?

Still unsure how this bothers people. If they're good characters and good actors, their "diversification" doesn't mean anything. It's reflecting the reality of there being others out there then white people. It doesn't mean white people are evil. Why is this such a complex concept despite being such a simple idea?

Ferisar:

WhiteNachos:

Still unsure how this bothers people. If they're good characters and good actors, their "diversification" doesn't mean anything. It's reflecting the reality of there being others out there then white people.

I don't buy that. If all the characters with speaking roles were a small group of one race but the background extras reflected the diversity of whatever city they were in, people would still say the movie has a lack of diversity.

I would say I'm more perplexed than anything that this matters to anyone. It could hurt a film, like if you pick the best cast for the movie then someone decides "wait this isn't diverse enough we need more X people" then that would mean arbitrary casting changes.

One thought I had about the Terminator trailer was

"why would you rip out a part of yourself and throw it at people, that would just mean there's less of you around and you'd have to retrieve it"

I feel strangely validated knowing Bob has the opposite opinion from me on the lightsaber.

Of course, more than anything, my primary concern is the name of Daisy Ridley's character. Her characters name could make or break the movie for me.

Edit: Seriously, if she's named Jaina, Jar-Jar could play a major roll in the movie and I'd be fine with it.

In order, I am excited for STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS, Terminator: Genisys, and Jurassic World, because that one's had the longest gap between the last iteration and the latest one.
Was expecting Horrible Bosses 2, but the "Trailer Park" is a nice change of pace."

Entitled:

Casual Shinji:

Same with comic books. So many writers first grew up as fans of those heroes before growing up and getting jobs writing about them. Now the only difference between "fan-fiction" and official canon is a paycheck from the publisher.

WhiteNachos:

Primarily, because it's a litmus test for a more healthy society, and to a lesser degree, it presents a possible path to a more healthy society through wider empathy and more role models.

If every second movie contained graphic scenes infanticide, we would all say "Yay, this year only one third of movies involved infanticide. Progress!" even if the movies this year had a worse plot than the last, and some of them even had gaping infanticide-shaped plot holes in them. Not because it's progress for filmmaking, but progress for the world.

It's just better. Not for movie connoisseurs, but for our culture in general.

Yeah, we get it, white men all look the same to you and only women can succeed as the leads in movies to get the nod.

Does look interesting though. They always look interesting so that's not saying much.

Entitled:

WhiteNachos:

Primarily, because it's a litmus test for a more healthy society, and to a lesser degree, it presents a possible path to a more healthy society through wider empathy and more role models.

Is that really true if society as a whole really isn't that diverse? Males still by and large perform some of the more physically demanding and dangerous jobs, for example.

Entitled:

WhiteNachos:

If every second movie contained graphic scenes infanticide, we would all say "Yay, this year only one third of movies involved infanticide. Progress!" even if the movies this year had a worse plot than the last, and some of them even had gaping infanticide-shaped plot holes in them. Not because it's progress for filmmaking, but progress for the world.

It's just better. Not for movie connoisseurs, but for our culture in general.

Could you be a little more hyperbolic? I'm not sure you're point was clear enough.

I have to agree with Bob here (except for that stupid lightsaber crossguard). The trailer do look good... which isn't saying much considering that trailer are specificly made to be good.

PS: What made the dumb looking lightsaber even worse to me is the fact that they were clearly building this up to be like "now look, look and.... there, awesome, right?", which it is not.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here