Unforgotten Realms: Episode 19: Why Did We Keep These Empty Jars?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

rofl good job

Indigo_Dingo:

I didn't say for the worse - the entertainment value of the episodes has remained constant. I just said that it definitely has changed, and it renders a character like Mike, Nailo and Stevenson (I think that was the Sorcerers name) rather redundant.

Redundant for what? Mikes characters sole purpose has always been to bounce off the ideas Robs character has. How does a character who acts like a wall become redundant?

I see now.

wow that introduction dragged on forever please dont do that again, it was like 4 minutes of exposition that was dull as hell. rest of episode was fairly funny, i was a fan of the arbitor jokes "the arbitor is now a lemongrenade" was fairly awesome

SirSchmoopy:

Indigo_Dingo:

I didn't say for the worse - the entertainment value of the episodes has remained constant. I just said that it definitely has changed, and it renders a character like Mike, Nailo and Stevenson (I think that was the Sorcerers name) rather redundant.

Redundant for what? Mikes characters sole purpose has always been to bounce off the ideas Robs character has. How does a character who acts like a wall become redundant?

Like I said, he's the straight man. The character is a lot more important than you'd think - imagine, for a moment, Father Dougal without Father Ted, Kel without Kenan, Ernie without Bert or Wallace without Gromit. The problem is that dynamic doesn't seem to work when you incorporate another duo, which this time seems to have changed from a duo into two independently funny characters. The dynamic shifts so that there's no room to bounce. Now Mike's actively become a distraction, in that he is technically a main character who actually doesn't do anything. So really, what it comes down to is, it needs to either go back how it was, or Mike needs to change to become funny on his own.

I freely admit I know jack shit about comedy, and anything I say should be treated as the incoherent ramblings they are. That said, you asked for some opinions, so I gave you one. You have no-one to blame but yourself.

Also, bring back those "the following episode" things.

an episode is an episode, and that makes me happy.

I'm stuck trying to figure out about Maelstrom's overall gene pool XD getting a little too far into the logistics of the episode, perhaps, when it was so easily dropped. I guess only time will tell. And if time doesn't tell, it's all good in the hood.

Great job on this one, and kudos with the new episode schedule.

Is the "mom was a dragon, dad was a dragon slayer" an homage to the D&D-inspired Dragon Half?

My wife and I love your show and eagerly await it every time we suspect it to be ready. Now, I'm not here to belittle your creative mind but something about this episode bugs me. Why is it when Roamin urinated the three heroes out of him everything worked out fine, yet when the three heroes did the same thing the host souls left instead? I mean, by that logic, Roamin should have left his body during the last urination. I suppose my question is, how is it determined who's in more control of a body? We can't wait for the next episode! Take care and good luck.

lol one of the best episodes ever;) but going to miss the Arbiter and btw Suck my Balls Paladin;)

I really love the upward arc of not only characters, but the humor as well. First time I watched the first episode i hated the show because they couldn't go 10 seconds without calling someone a moron, idiot, retard, or other thing I am forgetting. (I still hate that episode) I know you didn't have much to work with then, but it was still annoying as hell.

It's gotten to the point that you can forget that it's those two guys narrating all the characters and plot points, and when there are moments they step back into reality or disagree about role-playing elements it is quick and snappy and a good joke from Rob that isn't any of the generic insults above. Gary is the biggest annoyance now for that same reason. I suppose Mike just surrendered to Rob's story because resistance was futile or because he actually started to enjoy it. What I'm saying is: great job and keep it up.

This was not, as suggested by many other posters, one of the funniest episodes. It's super hard to make a huge chunk of exposition funny, so I'll forgive you that.

I did love the ogre/Maelstrom bit and Romain getting left at the door, but that was about it.

NOOOOO you could have had 6 characters not 3 - I shed a tear at the end of the arbiter

People keep brining up Mike's place in the story. Personally I see Mike as the guy that tells Rob, "Rob you can't do that!" In the early episodes it was a lot of Rob pushing the limits of the rules and Mike pretty much having to roll with it because Rob would convince Mike that whatever he wanted was possible.

Now it's kind of like Rob can do whatever he wants and there aren't anymore rules in the game itself. So in my opinion I think that Mike needs to play more of the DM role and keep Rob in check.

For example early on when Rob wanted Numchucks, Mike's responce was "Yeah but you won't be able to hit anything." "But I'll totally look kick ass." - Rob Or something like that.
Or
"I think that cow is a tavern Mike."
Or
Duel wield shields

Basically all of the crazy stuff that Rob would come up with (and there is obviously more throughout both seasons) and have to justify it to Mike in order for it to be used in the game.

Anyway I love the series, these last couple of episodes were especially good. Just making an observation. But then I've always thought the Mike and Rob characters were the core of the whole show anyway.

Keep up the good work Rob

It's interesting that you guys keep saying Rob gets away with anything he wants but what exactly are you directing that at? More and more all you see is the story and none of the roleplay that in fact came from it. So to say Rob's getting away with everything is kinda silly since thats not in fact true.

For the record, I believe all of this, hands down. The reason for that being that I've gone through a few epically-funny situations of similarly incredible proportions. I will give examples...

EXALTED - You all know this game, right? You play as people who are super-capable in so many skills that the point is to do things as impressive and flashy as possible in a fantasy realm. I was playing in this with some friends and...okay, lemme just describe the setting. Enclosed room full of bandits. Several of us are fighting. My colleagues began to edge out of the way as another in my group was about to cast the "Wrath of Obsidian Butterflies" spell. Basically, a huge swarm of obsidian blades would shoot out into the room and there weren't many hiding spaces. Since I was in the middle of the room, but had the most versatile character, I decided to pull a stunt where I leap from cover to cover (i.e. I used bandits both living and dead as said cover.) to get over to a safe spot. Brilliant idea in theory, total failure in practice. I botched the roll horribly and tripped on my own feet. Funnily enough, the hit dice for the spell that was about to cut me to ribbons and was unavoidable now ALSO botched horribly and so I was not hit. The reasoning behind it was that the nearest bandit fell on top of my and I ended up having to clean the guts off afterwards.

STAR WARS - Okay, I'm not the most avid of fans to the series, but I like it enough to give it a shot when I'm bored, and I have a friend who GMs this stuff very well. SO...my group is a smuggler/courier crew on a ship with enough upgrades to rival most in its class and beyond, and we have just found...an old adandoned trade federation military drop vessel...which was to contain something we were suppose to recover for the job. Unfortunately, it's got active - though drained - battledroids. You know, the "Roger roger!" guys. Well, we come upon a squad of them and pretty much mop the floors with 'em. Then my captain takes one of their heads and uses it in a deception for the next group. He holds up the head, says "He said we could go past.", pointing to the head, and then mimics the droid voice going "Roger roger!" and waggling the head around. This ACTUALLY WORKED, and - to make a long story short - we were able to commandeer the vessel and everything in it, tanks, troops, and all...though I had to reprogram the droids. (Hey, I was the only one who took the trade federation language, and you have to end all the command taglines in "Roger roger!".)

So yeah, I buy it. All of it. RPGs are all about the funny stuff you can make happen.

I'm curious as to what killed the Dragon Warrior.

Great episode, especially for being free!

.... soooo high bears don't like ogres, i guess?

gigastrike:

Kumomaru:

gigastrike:
Wait, Maelstorm is a good guy?

(Yay! Weekly episodes!)

No, he's still trying to kill the dwarves -.-

I hope those guys aren't gone for good, like roamin'll drink them or something... they were funny T_T

Ya, he tried to kill some dwarves, but he also seems to be trying to save the world.

Then why did he send a warning to the ogres about three powerful enemies coming to kick their asses, particularly when he can't go get the gem himself.

gigastrike:

Kumomaru:

gigastrike:
Wait, Maelstorm is a good guy?

(Yay! Weekly episodes!)

No, he's still trying to kill the dwarves -.-

I hope those guys aren't gone for good, like roamin'll drink them or something... they were funny T_T

Ya, he tried to kill some dwarves, but he also seems to be trying to save the world.

Then why did he send a warning to the ogres about three powerful enemies coming to kick their asses, particularly when he can't go get the gem himself.

Very cool. Just watched for the first time today and am now a fan. ^.^

But we saved her good

Mike Shut up lol
The Arbiter is now a Lemon Grenade best episode ever;)

aww i already miss the arbiter....
but haha "The arbiter is now a lemon grenade"....now to find opportunities to use that in everyday conversation!

weekly episodes but no arbiter not sure what to think????

This sounds a little bit like the twilight book things. Live forever but dont grow. Only ones of their kind that are like that. other such references. Or is it just me?

Are dragons our femail boxes

"And that was a retorical answer"
XD Is there such a thing?

This video is not properly linked on urealms.com

This season is getting epicly better. I may be the only person going through them currently but I love this show.

O so is that why The highbear called maelstrom a "tiny ogre" because he's part ogre?

I used to like this because it was so stupid it was hilarious. like rob.. god.. amazing! but now it seems like its serious, and theres still humor. but not that, its so stupid its funny humor. sad face

Unforgoten relems has to be the best show on this site!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here