Zero Punctuation: Elite: Dangerous - Space Truckin'

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Elite: Dangerous - Space Truckin'

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews Elite: Dangerous.

Watch Video

It seems like this game would appeal to me, mainly for the space exploration bits. It looks to me like this game is just Eve: Online Light, which is great because I like aspects of Eve, but it's a little too heavy for me. The problem is that I don't like just sitting staring at my screen and all of my podcasts are spent real-world driving into the boonies for my day job, so I get caught up on all my podcasts then. So I dunno, maybe I'll pick it up when it's cheap and I'm recovering from surgery or something. I just need to find a reason to have surgery...

Finding myself oddly enjoying space games off late... Started with FTL so will probably pick this up. Also "Longer than Anita Sarkeesian's list of grievances" LOL

So it is A trucking Simulator that takes place among the stars? Sounds interesting.

Also are you going to keep avoiding Smash Bros Yahtzee? It is the review we are all waiting for.

Truck Simulator is good.

Space is good.

Ergo Truck Simulator in Space is good?

Solo-Wing:
Also are you going to keep avoiding Smash Bros Yahtzee? It is the review we are all waiting for.

Nonsense! It's Crusader Kings II we're all waiting for.

And by "we" I mean "I".

prpshrt:
Finding myself oddly enjoying space games off late... Started with FTL so will probably pick this up. Also "Longer than Anita Sarkeesian's list of grievances" LOL

I went on an FTL binge this winter, so I'm also tempted. The thing is, FTL is a weirdly white-knuckle game. Every jump could lead to your death and you have to actively micro-manage the battles with other ships. The only real 'staring at my screen time' in it is spent weighing decisions that might help or destroy you. This doesn't sound too similar.

Free tips: look for independent/anarchy space stations/ports. 9 out of 10 times, they will have black markets.

Don't play online if you want to play as a trader since trying to complete a mission to deliver items for a small port in the middle of nowhere takes forever since people will be queued to use the 2/3 landing pads there, and increases the chances you'll be ganked by player pirates or player killers.

When warping to a new system turn as soon as you hit supercruse to keep from being pulled in by the star's gravity.

its not explained anywhere but basically you can shut down everything on your ship, turn on silent running and coast through the main gate hopefully not being detected up by security forces.

basically your options at the moment are deliver cargo, go exploring, go mining, bounty hunting and piracy

mining is a pain in the ass.. find an asteroid, chop a chunk off, find out what it is, go scoop it up, find out its 10% of a ton, and try to find the other 90% of a ton so you can sell it.

i do enjoy being able to just retrofit my general purpose ship into what ever i feel like doing, rip out all the cargo space and stick in scanners and im ready for exploring.

so yeah the game is very much eurotruck simulator with guns and space pirates, and the station interiors, etc do look samey.

im looking forward to future expansions where you can walk around your ship, walk around stations, even land on planets and go properly exploring.

one small thing i love is that when new exo planets are found you can expect them to be added to the game in a few days :D

Well, I do enjoy doing that whole "listen to podcast and get to a destination"-thing from ETS2 (where I, ironically, have Yathzees 'Let's Drown out' next on my list once I finished the last two Counter Monkey)

Might give Elite a shot, too, in the future. When it's cheaper and I am sick of ETS2.

Solo-Wing:

He's already done a review for it, kinda; it was an Extra Punctuation where he said he's not going to do a video because he doesn't like fighters, he doesn't like multiplayer-focused stuff, and he doesn't love Nintendo characters so much that he's willing to watch them leave their own unique and enjoyable games and punch each other because someone in marketing realised they could get more money if they used characters with fans regardless of whether or not they fit in the fighting genre.

OT: Elite: Dangerous sounds like the kind of thing I'd like, but would eat up way too much time for me to risk dipping a toe in.

Gotta admit, this has piqued my interest. Anyone out there who could tell me how Elite compares to Egosoft's X-Universe Games? As much as I love the latter I could go for something a bit different.

small:
its not explained anywhere but basically you can shut down everything on your ship, turn on silent running and coast through the main gate hopefully not being detected up by security forces.

Alternative technique: Come in hard and fast, bolt off at 90 degrees if someone manages to start a scan before you reach the slot.
Alternative technique: Don't be a filthy criminal. Trust and obey.

I want a 4x Game, the size of the E-D Galaxy.

Also: Did he realy not have that much negative to say about that game O_O ?
Thats unusual.

I've been playing online-only for the last month or so, and it's quite enjoyable. As in: No bad players to fuck up things. Firstly; the galaxy is so huge that your chances of actually running into another player is quite low. Secondly; the player base isn't your typical CoD-player.

While one of my space-trucking adventures, I suddenly get an incoming voice-call from someone. Since I'm playing with my Oculus Rift, I prefer to use my surround speakers to lessen the weight on my neck. I set communications up on my speakers and find my microphone. The voice chat has that real sort of "space radio" feel to it, with static noise and all that. Anyway, we have a small chat about what podcast I'm currently listening to (since it's on my speakers and he can hear it in the background), and I convince him that my current bounty is due to a friendly fire accident where no-one got hurt. We then part our own ways, his voice-comm becomes more and more static as i ride into the sunset.

prpshrt:

Pretty much this concerning the Sarky joke. Nice to kick off 2015 with a bunch of positive reviews, Yahtzee, will make the first blood all the more satisfying.

Bedinsis:

Solo-Wing:

And by "we" I mean "I".

And me. Keep dreaming, though: it came out in 2012. I doubt he'll go THAT far back to fill space, but CK2 is a wonderful game that can turn even the most sane person into a casual racist and an imperialist.

Question.

Just how intuitive is the combat?

I LIKE these kinds of trade-explore-hunt space games, but the last one I tried (Evochron Mercenary) had combat that was a bit too hard for me, so after my first real battle I just never left the safe starting zone out of fear, and grew bored quite quickly as a result. And the less said about X3 the better. I couldn't even finish the tutorial without getting annoyed enough to quit.

The fact that Yatzee said all the stuff can be mapped to a controller is heartening, though. If it plays anything like GoD Factory's combat (best space combat dogfighting game ever, IMO), I'm sure I'll be able to handle E:D, so...How intuitive IS it, for those who have played it?

Wait, did he just call my favorite game of all time (X3: Reunion) dry and boring?

aegix drakan:
And the less said about X3 the better. I couldn't even finish the tutorial without getting annoyed enough to quit.

But Reunion doesn't have a tutorial.

Hm. Honestly this sounds kind of interesting. Being a space trader sounds more interesting than driving a truck, particularly if there's the occasional space battle to liven things up.

I'll check it out.

EDIT: 59.99!? Uh. I'll wait for a price drop.

Awesome, I was hoping Yahtzee would do Elite: Dangerous, and I agree with his verdict: it's fun if you're a boring adult who enjoys virtual Sunday driving.

I was playing online at first, but then I was reminded I have the worst luck in the universe when I encountered a player in the middle of nowhere in the one system where I happened to have a bounty. I submitted to interdiction, thinking I just had another obnoxious NPC kill to chalk up, only to be thoroughly annoyed that a Viper managed to kill my Cobra while I was still in the warrant scanning phase. Then I saw the player name, realized I'd been ganked, and was now 150k credits shorter. I went solo and never went back, because it's not like I was being paid more credits to take the greater risk of being PvP'd.

Regarding the unfairness of missions that have you grab stolen goods, it's deliberate because you can actually smuggle goods into the station without being scanned. Funny enough, I understand people back in beta did it by charging the station doors, turning off flight assist so they coast towards the entrance, then shutting down their entire ship in "silent running" mode in order to avoid being scanned, only to make panicked last minute course corrections as required.

This is unnecessary:

The only other point I would make is, egads, is it ever a grind. Once you've got your Cobra (~350k credits), you might as well settle in for flying the same ship for a couple weeks, because the Type-6 Transport (2M credits) is a downgrade in all things not cargo hauling related, and the next ship will run you a whopping 6M credits. If you're good, you might be able to manage about 300k credits an hour, but most runs you'll be lucky to get in under 100k, there's a great deal of randomness to which profitable opportunities you are likely to encounter.

Zontar:

aegix drakan:
And the less said about X3 the better. I couldn't even finish the tutorial without getting annoyed enough to quit.

I played X3: Terran Conflict. Not reunion.

aegix drakan:

Zontar:

aegix drakan:

I played X3: Terran Conflict. Not reunion.

That's the problem when you have three three games with the same number.

From what people tell me of this game it sounds less like Euro Truck simulator and more like sid meiers pirates in space.

Solo-Wing:
So it is A trucking Simulator that takes place among the stars? Sounds interesting.

He doesn't like fighting or multiplayer-focused games. As TC pointed out he covered this in his Extra Punctuation column (and also brought it up in a couple of videos, I think it was in 2014's Top 5 and then another). You can watch his Brawl review for an approximation though:

I got a hearty laugh from "that" joke. Also, nobody's started a flame war over it. There may be hope for you guys yet.

I just jinxed it, didn't I?

As for the game itself, I would be VERY interested in playing this if not for two things:

1. My current computer doesn't meet the system requirements.

2. The "always online" requirement, even for Solo mode.

It's a real shame too, because I love me some space sims. I played the X-Wing series to death growing up, and in recent years I've caught up on classic titles I missed, like Wing Commander: Privateer and Frontier: Elite 2.

I think I'll stick to Sunset Overdrive for games to play without actually listening to the game and just having a relaxed time.

But perhaps I'm simply not the audience for the likes of Euro Truck Simulator.

Pseudonym:
From what people tell me of this game it sounds less like Euro Truck simulator and more like sid meiers pirates in space.

Naw. The "Smugglers" series (google "Smugglers 5") is Sid Meiers' Pirates in space, only without the action sequences. "Space Rangers" is also a good pick, it resembles the original game a little less, but is better for it.

"Elite: Dangerous" is definitely Euro Truck Simulator in space. Right down to the gratuitous detail in the presentation of how it would feel to pilot an Elite-series spaceship.

Bedinsis:

Solo-Wing:

And by "we" I mean "I".

Forget that! My highlight of the year will be his take on 'Hearts of Iron IV'.

Huh. I never heard of this game before (shows how often I read The Escapist's other review articles), but thanks for bringing it to my attention. Might give it a go. Sounds like an FTL-ish kind of game.

Gone Rampant:

prpshrt:

Pretty much this concerning the Sarky joke. Nice to kick off 2015 with a bunch of positive reviews, Yahtzee, will make the first blood all the more satisfying.

If it's wrong to laugh at a joke involving Sarkeesian, I don't want to be right. Also laughed at the "Daywalkers" bit, because I frequently use that.

prpshrt:

I heard that an I was like "Oh shit! Shots fired!" I do love how Yahtzee does not give a fuck who he pisses off. Even funnier when he and his friend was trying avoid the topic of Anita and SJWs on their Drown Outs only to give up and make fun of them the very next week.

How dare you make fun of a podcast-related death?! My FATHER was killed after his podcast ran long, and he had no choice but to listen to it rather than take off his headphones to hear the emergency broadcast system's message down in the mine!

I got bored of space trucking, so now I fly into unclaimed or anarchic systems and dispense some justice. It's more fun and has more immediate rewards. Just don't do it unless you have a kill warrant scanner. It's a waste of time without it. Still fun though.

Pseudonym:

aka: Escape Velocity

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or