On the PC Master Race and the Language Police

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

On the PC Master Race and the Language Police

Yahtzee tackles a topic of the "PC Master Race," but refuses to get roped into a debate. It's about pushing boundaries and not letting the thought police win.

Read Full Article

Very well said.

I've only ever used the term in self-deprecation. Are there people who actually take "PC master race" completely seriously? Because I've never met them.

micuu:
I've only ever used the term in self-deprecation. Are there people who actually take "PC master race" completely seriously? Because I've never met them.

Stick around in this thread for about 30 posts. I'm sure you'll find two or three getting the party started.

OT: "Suck it, Dolfy" needs to be put on a T-shirt like right now. Get on that merchandising, Escapist.

micuu:

Perhaps (no, definitely) on the internet, maybe not in real life. Look for old threads after the Xbox One was announced and try to breathe through reading all the smugness emitted from PC gamers (and would-be PS4 gamers, but very less so).

Now to go back to being a member of the glorious multi-platform master race.

I've only used it in a self-deprecating way simply because I'm a PC gamer by personal circumstance not because it's the better 'medium'.

But even that, in it's own way, could be a positive thing. Because the Nazis were dicks, and they don't deserve to have power over our language anymore. If some millennial can honestly use the term 'PC Master Race' for years without even knowing that it's a Nazi reference, then I'd chalk that up as a win. That's how badly you lost, Mr. Hitler - your armies were destroyed, your nasty ideals have been condemned, and now we've taken all your favorite words away. Suck it, Dolfy.

Bingo, which is why I support the phrase. It takes all the bite out of the phrase, which is the best thing you can do to horrible ideas like that.

micuu:

I came here to post this. The term "PC Master Race" has always been used self-mockingly by the community, using inflated hubris for a giggle, in much the same way Yahtzee first used the term. I don't doubt they believe themselves to be playing on a superior platform, but they take that to the extreme as a community so people don't take them too seriously and they can have a bit of fun with the whole thing. I don't believe there's anyone out there who seriously considers them to be a part of some master race because they predominantly play on PC.

But....a PC does every single thing better than a console. It's completely closed the gap on things that consoles used to do better, and even exceed them in many areas: for example, the time it takes from inserting a disk to starting to play a game has vastly increased on consoles to the point where it's faster on PC - they have lost the "plug and play" benefit completely. You can easily play PC games on a couch with a controller now.

That's why people can argue that PCs are a better medium unironically at this point. PC Master Race is used ironically and unironically at the same time, to inflame the ire of console fanboys.

Attacking the language used has become a pathetic tactic growing all the more popular over the last few years, and you know the kind of people using it. When you can't argue with facts, just attack the language used and say the people using it are wrong! Then you don't even have to attack their actual argument because they're meanie heads.

Please pardon me while I slip into my sycophancy pants...

And let me be frank: while this is a very important conversation to have, it seems to be futile to attempt to have it on the internet, where it will inevitably turn into a dual siege between two heavily-entrenched echo chambers of vocal minorities, separated by a vast landscape of howler monkeys flinging shit.

I don't know what Yahtzee's day-to-day outlook but for the sheer joy that sentence brought me I hope he feels great about himself all the time.

That old altar, upon which the language police would sacrifice so much.

*gasp* Garcon?! There's a sentence fragment in my (otherwise delicious) soup.

I think about it this way: it started off as an insult to elitist PC snobs and it REMAINS an insult. The only people who use it "ironically" as some badge of honor are those who are obviously horrendously insecure about gaming on PC despite touting as the greatest thing evar.

Elijah Newton:

And let me be frank: while this is a very important conversation to have, it seems to be futile to attempt to have it on the internet, where it will inevitably turn into a dual siege between two heavily-entrenched echo chambers of vocal minorities, separated by a vast landscape of howler monkeys flinging shit.

I don't know what Yahtzee's day-to-day outlook but for the sheer joy that sentence brought me I hope he feels great about himself all the time.

Oh my yes. If not quite sig-worthy, I'm at least going to keep that one handy.

*gasp* Garcon?! There's a sentence fragment in my (otherwise delicious) soup.

Oh, can I point out his comma splice? I twitched when I saw that comma splice.

Wait a second... PC Master Race is a Nazi reference!?

I support the language police but 'master race' is not a problem in this case. First, no one's ever going to think they're going to have the lives crushed by entertainment hardware. Second, the Nazis were destroyed over a generation ago. So, yes, the Nazis can now be pillaged as a source of cheap amusement.

Thanatos2k:
But....a PC does every single thing better than a console. It's completely closed the gap on things that consoles used to do better, and even exceed them in many areas: for example, the time it takes from inserting a disk to starting to play a game has vastly increased on consoles to the point where it's faster on PC - they have lost the "plug and play" benefit completely. You can easily play PC games on a couch with a controller now.

That's why people can argue that PCs are a better medium unironically at this point. PC Master Race is used ironically and unironically at the same time, to inflame the ire of console fanboys.

Attacking the language used has become a pathetic tactic growing all the more popular over the last few years, and you know the kind of people using it. When you can't argue with facts, just attack the language used and say the people using it are wrong! Then you don't even have to attack their actual argument because they're meanie heads.

I disagree. Consoles still have one major advantage:

If I buy a game for a specific game-console, that console will play it.

If I buy a game for PC, my PC might not. And then I'll have to figure out what of my specific build of PC is interfering with the game's software, figure out how to fix it, and possibly have to buy some new hardware.

There's no guarantee, upon purchasing a game, that it'll run on your PC. Yes, PCs are getting a heck of a lot better about it than they used to be, but with a console you can be sure that it'll run. Eventually. Once you've finished installing, downloading any updates, and informed your gaming console that no, you don't want to search Bing or watch Netflix, you actually want to use a gaming console to game, please-thank-you...

Evonisia:

micuu:

Perhaps (no, definitely) on the internet, maybe not in real life. Look for old threads after the Xbox One was announced and try to breathe through reading all the smugness emitted from PC gamers (and would-be PS4 gamers, but very less so).

Yeah, smugness does not mean that they actually take the PC Master Race thing seriously.

Let the busybodies scream that neutrality is a tacit endorsement of the enemy; as long as both sides are saying that then I couldn't give a toss.

*stands up and applauds*

I wholeheartedly agree with that. I hate when I see some nebulous conflict, conclude both sides are too nasty to support either one, then get yelled at by both sides for condoning the other side and being evil for it when I really dislike both of them. It's madness!

Best description of an internet argument I've ever seen. Well said.

In any case, I realized that the "PC MASTER RACE" thing was essentially a fascist germany reference when it was made, but I also realized it was meant in a way to poke fun at overly committed PC gamers. Honestly, I see no problem with it. It's a silly, dumb term and life should just go on as usual.

In any case, I'm off to go play a PC space sim and maybe download the Long War Mod for XCOM, right after adding more content to skyrim via mods and working on an RPGmaker game, and enjoying the far superior mouse controls in Unreal Tournament 2004 which I got for super cheap from Steam, none of which can be done on consoles! LONG LIVE THE PC MASTER RA-

What's that? Metroid Prime Trilogy is gonna be downloadable on the WiiU?! BRB, purchasing a WiiU!

I especially like the last paragraph. <3

Never called my platform PC Master Race, but I couldn't care less if someone uses it. Sometimes it gets a good chuckle if used in the right context.

Thank God for Yahtzee.

The_Darkness:

Thanatos2k:

I disagree. Consoles still have one major advantage:

If I buy a game for a specific game-console, that console will play it.

Assassin's Creed Unity, lol.

I know what you're getting at, and it's "Console games have much higher QA than PC games" and that's probably true. That software lockdown comes at a cost however, when the vast majority of console games are unable to be modded or worse, the community is unable to fix problems the devs are incapable of or refuse to fix. Also, if I buy a new console, it's not uncommon for it to not play the games I already own. If I buy a new PC, the majority of my games will work with no issues, and there's workarounds (somewhere, somehow) to get the others to work. If I buy a PS3 game it won't "just work" on my PS4. If I buy a ten year old PC game it'll almost assuredly work on my current PC. So that's arguably not even an advantage for consoles.

If I buy a game for PC, my PC might not. And then I'll have to figure out what of my specific build of PC is interfering with the game's software, figure out how to fix it, and possibly have to buy some new hardware.

It's been a LONG time since I've tried to play a game that my system simply wouldn't run, and I make new computers every 5 or 6 years (console generation length?). Run poorly? Maybe. But not run at all? Rare.

Unless you use a Mac, of course, but what self respecting PC gamer would?

So let me get this straight... A gamer website said that people should stop using Nazi terminology to describe themselves and in response these people double-down on the Nazi imagery. (Google PC Master Race Flag if you don't believe me.)

And in response... Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw is siding with the fucking Nazis.

What the fuck happened to Yahtzee? Or was he always like this and I only recently noticed this?

C.S.Strowbridge:
So let me get this straight... A gamer website said that people should stop using Nazi terminology to describe themselves and in response these people double-down on the Nazi imagery. (Google PC Master Race Flag if you don't believe me.)

What the fuck happened to Yahtzee? Or was he always like this and I only recently noticed this?

I think you got it wrong. Here's a more accurate summary:

A gamer website said that people should stop using a joke because it offends them, and in response these people double-down on their mockery of the PC Language Police.

And in response... Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw is siding against the PC Language Police.

danielcofour:

Evonisia:

micuu:

Yeah, smugness does not mean that they actually take the PC Master Race thing seriously.

True, I should have worded it as "people who take up the mantle tended to be the smug arseholes on those threads", I did fuck up there.

micuu:

Go into any thread about any console ever and on this site and I can guarantee the people who take "PC Master Race" way too seriously will show up, as they always do. A lot of the more venomous posters for have been banned over time however, but there are still some who take that way too damn seriously to the point in which it is damn hilarious.

THANK YOU! For being a beacon of calm and reason, for remembering that games are entertainment and meant to be fun, for not taking trivial shit too seriously, and for the best ever description of 99% of internet arguments. Howler monkeys indeed...

[EDIT: The trivial shit I meant was his brief mention of all the GG/Anti-GG stuff. Nothing about WW2 is trivial, but I'm on board the Suck It Dolfy train.

To paraphrase a French comedian from a few decades back, you can laugh at anything, just not with all people. What's funny coming from Yahtzee is not funny coming from a white supremacist - or PC supremacist, if such a thing exists to the same degree.]

C.S.Strowbridge:

Congratulations! You are among so many people who completely missed the joke in the term "PC master race"! I recommend you never watch stand up comedy!

I've never used the term "PC Master Race" and keep out of pissing contests in general, but I've also never owned a crippled computer or what some people refer to as a "Console".

Except a Game Boy.
Game Boy doesn't count.

I think "PC Gaming Bourgeois" is a much better counterpart to "Console Peasantry" than "PC Gaming Master Race" ever was, as not only does it contrast better, but "Bourgeois", to me, is much more obviously self-depricating, as Bourgeois has never been used as a positive identifier.

Thoughts, anybody?

"PC Master Race" is just dripping in irony when you take PC as the acronym for Politically Correct in this context. I heard the origins of that term are rooted in Communism, where saying what was or wasn't "politically correct" would determine whether or not you and your family were shipped off to the gulags.

I used to understand the console wars back in the day, when each console had different games. However petty, there was something to an argument between being able to play Ocarina of Time or FF7.

But now? All the consoles play the same damn game, including the PC! What does it matter anymore?! If you prefer PC, buy a damn PC! If you want a console, GET A FUCKING CONSOLE!
Where is the debate? The conflict?! PCs can run games at higher graphics levels, but cost nearly x3 as much. Consoles offer convenience because you always know a console game will run on that console.

Personally, I have both. I have a PC for Steam games, and a 360 for the new releases my PC can't run. I switch back and forth.

Also whats the harm in 'PC Gaming master race'? Its an insult at the over-serious PC riggers. Deal with it and come up with one for console players.

The only time I unironically use the phrase "PC Master Race" is when I'm being ironically unironic around my friend the unironically hardcore Nintendo fanboy. He proceeds to freak out that anyone would unironically suggest that any one method of enjoying games is better than any other, unaware that I'm using what was meant as an ironic jest in an ironically unironic way to unironically irritate him for my own amusement at the irony of it all. At some point during the process, I disappear up my own ass.

MarsAtlas:
I think "PC Gaming Bourgeois" is a much better counterpart to "Console Peasantry" than "PC Gaming Master Race" ever was, as not only does it contrast better, but "Bourgeois", to me, is much more obviously self-depricating, as Bourgeois has never been used as a positive identifier.

Thoughts, anybody?

Eh, 'Master Race' sounds completely absurd and it's funny especially if someone uses that un-ironically, because it's not a flattering term. That and there's bound to be someone who gets offended at a 'communist' word instead of a 'nazi' word, even though bourgeoisie is a valid word to describe the educated middle-upper class.

That being said there could be other social classes, such as the 'Clergy of Handhelds', 'Old System Nobles' and 'Console Proletariat'.

i think the nazi references were almost completely lost when the term became public, instead of tyranical warmongers we got hedonistic super humans

the term i believe remains used mostly in an ironic way, hence the fact right now it keeps being substituted steadily by the term "mustard race". or atleast it was, until tyler wilde decided to make PC master race hip and cool again by trying to bash it with the political correctness hammer

MarsAtlas:

Thoughts, anybody?

Interwebs cant spell gud. And you want them to attempt "Bourgeois" and "Bourgeoisie"?

I only ever use it in a mocking term, usually directed at my friend who's into PC gaming, he hates the term pretty much because of all the people who take it seriously.

Honestly people who get offended at silly jokes just make me want to tell them those silly jokes even more, if that makes me a bad person then I guess I'm a bad person

Yeah, my big issue had always been when people began using it as an unironic banner flag, as it's almost a perfect example of the lack of self-awareness certain aspects of gaming culture suffer from.

When it's intended to be a joke though I have less of an issue, especially since the juxtaposition of a serious topic with a much less serious topic is basically the punchline.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here