5 World Ending Movies that Make Guys Cry

5 World Ending Movies that Make Guys Cry

Why would a movie about the end of the world make guys cry like a baby? Find out.

Read Full Article

How is The Road not even on this list? It's probably the bleakest, most depressing end-of-the-world movie ever made.

XMark:
How is The Road not even on this list? It's probably the bleakest, most depressing end-of-the-world movie ever made.

To me that film ends with hope that humans will survive. Between the addition of color at the beach to finding the bug in that tin, life seemed to be making it work.

You are right though, that film is heavy as hell

XMark:

Agreed.
It is the saddest, most awful movie I ever saw.

Firefilm:

XMark:

To me that film ends with hope that humans will survive. Between the addition of color at the beach to finding the bug in that tin, life seemed to be making it work.

You are right though, that film is heavy as hell

Just because it ends on a more uplifting tone doesn't mean it's any less sad, definitely a hell of a lot better than the likes of AI and Knowing. Plus it was made pretty clear that even if humanity manages to survive they're going to die out eventually, the world in the Road is irreparably fucked up and they can only go so long before there's not enough left to scavenge.

Plus one for The Road, how fucked is a world when a father travelling with his son saves exactly two bullets and never uses them for anything else?

I would add "The Book of Eli" too, not really into religious allegory much but you can really feel Elis suffering and how he struggles during his travels.

I must be really missing something with Snowpiercer. I watched it a few days ago and didn't enjoy it almost at all. The social commentary lacked any nuance, there were multiple pace breaking scenes of exposition dump, the tone and plot events were all over the place, and there some things that maybe got explained in the graphic novel but unless I missed it had no explanation in the movie. It had it's moments but was overall a resounding meh, and outside online forums I know nobody who enjoyed it.

I'm surprised The World's End isn't on here. It seemed like kind of an obvious choice.

Sylocat:
I'm surprised The World's End isn't on here. It seemed like kind of an obvious choice.

I can probably understand its exclusion. I liked the World's End, but it was predominately a comedy with a few slightly emotional moments. Not to say the emotional moments weren't good or anything, they just weren't anything to cry about and was more of an afterthought than the focus of the film.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here