8 Cancelled Games We Still Want to Play

Pages 1 2 NEXT

I was slightly afraid to see The Last Guardian on this list. It's still going to come out, damnit!

OT: The localised release of Ni No Kuni on DS.

Oh my gods, the Gallery of the Day lives on. You've inherited...the curse.

Aw, Starcraft: Ghost. I get sad every time.

Surprised Dungeon Keeper III isn't on the list.

I still remember seeing the trailer for it in DK2.... I think I'm going to cry myself to sleep now.

Personally I'd of tossed Mega Man Legends 3 on there, or as it might be known...

"The game Capcom cancelled just so they could snub and tell off Inafune one last time after he left".

By all report, the game was actually pretty darn great. There was a journalist that managed to get ahold of the "Paid Demo" Capcom promised to release (then never did), and had said it contained some 3-4 hours of content and actually handled and played great. I was involved happily on the servbot program they had there, was a really early number, but a glitch occurred later on that reset plenty of people's service numbers and replaced them by treating em as if they were brand new. When Inafune left Capcom, the team was to continue on and, as things have played out, Capcom had refused his offer to stick around and help with the game, telling him only "we got it covered". Which led to it being canned barely a few months later.

They always had a habit of stifling creativity, punishing it even, and if a project they hated (like Dead Rising 1) works, they are more than happy to show the creative force the big finger by ripping control away from them; see Devil May Cry 2, or Mega Man X6. The only decent individual left there now is Yoshinori Ono (Mr. Street Fighter, also Darkstalkers), and I wish he'd leave them for a better company already. Capcom is a festering pit of s***, and deserves the hole they slithered and and crawled into blindly. It's one of the only studios I'd be happy to see dead.

It's also why Asura's Wrath had the "finale DLC", because the game didn't meet their bloated set of milestones, and thus refused to have AW 2 be made. Say what you will about that game, but Asura's Wrath was pure fun, even if it was painfully short. I'd of been happy to pay to see that game allowed to expand and develop itself further.

I didn't see True Fantasy Live Online for The Original Xbox on that list.

Oh well, at least Elder Scrolls Online is coming to PS4.

Silvanus:
I was slightly afraid to see The Last Guardian on this list. It's still going to come out, damnit!

Exactly. We just need to have faith and keep believing.

The inclusion of StarWars 1313 instead of StarWars: Imperiaal Commando is downright criminal.

MrCollins:
The inclusion of StarWars 1313 instead of StarWars: Imperiaal Commando is downright criminal.

I never heard anything about it, but I'm assuming that is the sequel to republic commando?

if so, dear god...I would do horrid things to get ahold of that game.

OT: nice to see one star wars game get some attention..but battlefront 3 is at the top of my list, the alpha footage they had released looked EXACTLY how i wanted it to: an updated battlefront 2 with new worlds and more to do. Why oh why couldn't have EA just taken what was there, and finish it? I'm really afraid "battlefront" is just going to be battlefield 5:star wars skin edition! and I'm going to burn EA to the ground with the fire in my eyes for that atrocity.

Silvanus:

OT: The localised release of Ni No Kuni on DS.

I looked at the Last Guardian, and I almost included a note as to why it wasn't on there. It's coming, I tell you.

gmaverick019:

MrCollins:

I never heard anything about it, but I'm assuming that is the sequel to republic commando?

if so, dear god...I would do horrid things to get ahold of that game.

OT: nice to see one star wars game get some attention..but battlefront 3 is at the top of my list, the alpha footage they had released looked EXACTLY how i wanted it to: an updated battlefront 2 with new worlds and more to do. Why oh why couldn't have EA just taken what was there, and finish it? I'm really afraid "battlefront" is just going to be battlefield 5:star wars skin edition! and I'm going to burn EA to the ground with the fire in my eyes for that atrocity.

Battlefront, man. I hope EA/DICE don't muck that one up.

The reason I picked 1313 is that I SO wanted to play through Boba Fett's rise to awesome bounty hunter. I was sold on that one.

ffronw:

Battlefront, man. I hope EA/DICE don't muck that one up.

The reason I picked 1313 is that I SO wanted to play through Boba Fett's rise to awesome bounty hunter. I was sold on that one.

after all of EA and Dice's recent blunders, I've given up all hope it'll be anything like battlefront 1 and 2. (not to mention all the buttloads of DLC I'm sure they'll try and flounder in there...)

Conquest mode? 9.99!

sniper clone trooper? unlock for 99 cents!

space battles? day one DLC!

I know battlefront was based off of battlefield..but to me, I can barely put one maybe two hours into battlefield, tops. Battlefront 2? I've put over 1000 hours into that game and still will pick it up every once in a while.

can't blame you for the 1313 inclusion, I didn't get TOO much into the footage when it was "supposed" to come out, but I was looking forward to reviews if it did come out.

gmaverick019:

*snip*

can't blame you for the 1313 inclusion, I didn't get TOO much into the footage when it was "supposed" to come out, but I was looking forward to reviews if it did come out.

My problem was seeing the footage at E3 that year. Completely got me excited for it. I should have known it would all end in tears.

I still have an old game informer that has like a ten page article and in-depth preview of starcraft:ghost. makes me sad, i really wanted to play it, it looked really good. *le sigh*

I still want to see the Duke Nukem Forever that George Broussard originally conceived, not the thing that actually turned up.

Starcraft: Ghost spent so long as vapourware that it wasn't until now I realised it had actually been officially cancelled. Sad times.

rayen020:
I still have an old game informer that has like a ten page article and in-depth preview of starcraft:ghost. makes me sad, i really wanted to play it, it looked really good. *le sigh*

Kinitawowi:
I still want to see the Duke Nukem Forever that George Broussard originally conceived, not the thing that actually turned up.

Starcraft: Ghost spent so long as vapourware that it wasn't until now I realised it had actually been officially cancelled. Sad times.

Here's the crazy thing about Ghost. I spent two whole hours checking it out at E3 2005. Talked to Blizzard folks about it, played a demo, got into it. Then it went on hiatus, and then....nothing. No one knew it was officially cancelled until late last year.

Gutsripper:

I still remember seeing the trailer for it in DK2.... I think I'm going to cry myself to sleep now.

Well, you could always play the... damnit, I can't even joke about it! That mobile piece of crap still pisses me off!

Yeah, I remember that trailer as well. Still, once War for the Overworld finishes, that may prove to be the sequel we were waiting for.

That's some old wounds you're opening there. Old indeed.
Oh Shenmue, where were you going with that intriguing ending at the 2nd game? 12...chapters damnit!

Anymoo, glad to see that Beyond good and evil 2 isn't completely stamped out yet. As for that steampunk batman game, knowing that was a thing...that existed...

...and now, just ...doesn't...?

Fighting. Back. Tears!

MrCollins:

Nothing wrong with playing as Boba Fett dude. I really wanted to go play as a bounty hunter journeying to the deepest levels of Coruscant. It looked interesting. But yea Imperial Commando would have been nice. RIP Expanded Universe.

One that I'm thinking of is Mercenaries 3. The studio folded and I'm not even sure who owns the rights to the franchise anymore. It just seems like something that could be pretty interesting with one of the new engines like Frostbite.

The lack of STALKER 2 is a criminal mistake.
Fix it. Nao.

"It was hard when we canceled Warcraft Adventures. It was hard when we canceled StarCraft Ghost. But it has always resulted in better-quality work."

Yes, yes... Like Destiny.

And before you say that Destiny was made by Bungie, Blizzard and Bungie are both employed (more like enslaved) by Activision. They get the same stupid marching orders.

I recall reading about a pirate game circa... 2008 maybe? I don't remember its name, but it seemed like it would have been really good if it met expectations. It was an RPG that would have focused on naval combat, and included cool mythical elements. Damn, I wish I remembered more about it.

Of those, Shenmue III is the only one that really bothers me.

To add to the list:

Megaman Legends 3
Megaman Universe
Legacy of Kain: Dead Sun

Queen Michael:

Silvanus:

Exactly. We just need to have faith and keep believing.

Don't open that old wound, damnit! Now I'll just go eat all the wrong things and cry in a corner. :'(

Never heard about most of them to tell the truth.
Except Starcraft Ghost, sadly. That would have been one hell of a game.
B.C. sounded interesting as well.

DKIII would have deserved a place on there as well.

Scars Unseen:
Of those, Shenmue III is the only one that really bothers me.

To add to the list:

Megaman Legends 3
Megaman Universe
Legacy of Kain: Dead Sun

LoK: Dead Sun was on my list as well. Just didn't have enough room for all of them.

Side note: to everyone who says Dungeon Keeper III - I couldn't put it on there without thinking about the mobile game, which made me violently ill.

See, Shinji? The Last Guardian is happening. We just have to clap our hand man.

My favorite cancelled game is Sadness, for the Wii. A black and white survival horror game that never made it past a live-action trailer. But the concept looked intriguing.

Sadness was promoted as a unique and realistic survival horror game that would "surprise players," focusing on psychological horror rather than violence, containing "associations with narcolepsy, nyctophobia and paranoid schizophrenia." More notable was the announcement that the game would sport black-and-white visuals stylized as gothic horror.

ffronw:

Here's the crazy thing about Ghost. I spent two whole hours checking it out at E3 2005. Talked to Blizzard folks about it, played a demo, got into it. Then it went on hiatus, and then....nothing. No one knew it was officially cancelled until late last year.

I remember buying either a regular Xbox or 360 (can't remember which now) and the box had a picture for Ghost on it. I'd totally forgotten the game existed by then and seeing that made memories of wanting it gush back with the force of a tidal wave. Total disappointment it died on the vine.

The fact that Prey 2 got cancelled makes me sad. I look at the gameplay footage from a few years ago, and that game certainly had potential to impress me. That being said, if a game does get cancelled, there must've been something terribly wrong with it, so at least I can be happy that they canned it instead of releasing it. It is a really brave thing to do to just scrap a lot of work. I just hope that someone tries again some day.

KOTOR3

Obsidian had plans for it, never got green lighted for it.

LucasArts started it, then it turned into The Force Unleashed.

Bioware started it, then it turned into an unsatisfactory MMO. (They can keep releasing Revan DLC all they want, I'm so sick of Revan. they ruined Revan and they especially ruined the Exile. MMO experience is completely different from a Single-Player Experience, and I really hate the MMO experience.)

Ahh 1313, *Sniff* Let it go Ste, let it go. Holding onto that stuff will only make you bitter.

Also if only Mercenaries 3 could have been a thing, just so we could all forget 2 ever happened. I have the first one but it crashes after like 5/10 minutes. So much for the 350's backwards compatability.

Arnoxthe1:
"It was hard when we canceled Warcraft Adventures. It was hard when we canceled StarCraft Ghost. But it has always resulted in better-quality work."

Yes, yes... Like Destiny.

And before you say that Destiny was made by Bungie, Blizzard and Bungie are both employed (more like enslaved) by Activision. They get the same stupid marching orders.

Adventures and Ghost were both cancelled before the Activision merger.

("postponed", technically, in Ghost's case, but it amounts to the same thing)

Actually kinda' surprised Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade didn't make the list. Yeah, it technically hasn't been canceled, but we all know this game is never gonna see a release.

And to be honest, I had completely forgotten about Starcraft: Ghost. But now that you mention it, yeah, lets get a crappy Steam Greenlight on that!

ffronw:

rayen020:

Kinitawowi:

you know, now that they are with activision they really should try and make the game. A starcraft set CoD wouldn't be too bad and at least we know that the shooting mechanics would work well.

WHY IS MEGAMAN LEGENDS 3 NOT ON THAT LIST?!

I still want to play that and I'm still really pissed that they cancelled it. :(

Gutsripper:

-Dragmire-:

Well, you could always play the... damnit, I can't even joke about it! That mobile piece of crap still pisses me off!

Yeah, I remember that trailer as well. Still, once War for the Overworld finishes, that may prove to be the sequel we were waiting for.

Hey, at least we can comfort ourselves with the fact that DK is getting a spiritual successor in War for the Overworld.

Edit:... and this:

-Dragmire-:

Still, once War for the Overworld finishes, that may prove to be the sequel we were waiting for.

... is what happens when you quote someone without reading a post all the way through.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here