8 Cancelled Games We Still Want to Play

Pages PREV 1 2

Maybe if we freeze Peter Molyneux for 30 years or so he could defrost at a time where technology has caught up with his ideas? Then we wouldn't have to worry about all the unfortunate broken promises, and game ideas being too large!

Bethesda dropping Prey 2 was one of the reasons I ignore Bethesda announcements these days. I bought and played Prey just to get in the mindset. That was an interesting game and Prey 2 had demo (or gameplay) that looked pretty good. But lying Bethesda was more interested in breaking apart another developer studio than backing a good idea. The industry S.O.P. of getting a studio's IP rights by backing them, then dismissing their work by stating 'It doesn't meet our standards' and eventually finally admitting they cancelled it. A rotten business practice in an industry rife with them.

Now it's sad but funny as Bethesda and 'good idea' can only be used in ironic statements. Or as a punch line.

just a tiny correction: Day 1 Studios only developed F.E.A.R 3. the first two games were developed by Monolith.

Mangod:
Hey, at least we can comfort ourselves with the fact that DK is getting a spiritual successor in War for the Overworld.

-Dragmire-:

Gutsripper:
Surprised Dungeon Keeper III isn't on the list.

I still remember seeing the trailer for it in DK2.... I think I'm going to cry myself to sleep now.

Well, you could always play the... damnit, I can't even joke about it! That mobile piece of crap still pisses me off!

Yeah, I remember that trailer as well. Still, once War for the Overworld finishes, that may prove to be the sequel we were waiting for.

Yeah I'm also keeping a close eye on War for the Overworld on steam.

I tried to play that game Dungeons a while back when it came out... it kinda looked like it might be the same as DK but it really wasn't.

Gutsripper:

I tried to play that game Dungeons a while back when it came out... it kinda looked like it might be the same as DK but it really wasn't.

It wasn't Dungeon Keeper, for sure. But it was a nice little game, that tried really hard to be an homage to Dungeon Keeper. I rather enjoyed it.

ffronw:

It wasn't Dungeon Keeper, for sure. But it was a nice little game, that tried really hard to be an homage to Dungeon Keeper. I rather enjoyed it.

Oh yeah it was a nice game, really was. Just didn't scratch my Dungeon Keeper itch.

No Van Buren mentioned, the only and true FO3.

Quick mention of the Darth Maul game that was canned. If I had some magical game defibulator, I'd probably go for that one. Darth Maul dying in episode 1 is still probably my least favorite part of the prequels. (Btw, if you haven't seen it, go look up "what if episode I was good" by belated media. That mother fucker should own lucasfilm, not Disney) If the game not only brought him back, but brought him back well? ;-; I cry just thinking about it. And I agree with Prey 2, 1313, and Gotham by Gaslight. And in reply to some other comments I've been seeing, THERE WAS GOING TO BE AN IMPERIAL COMMANDO? WHY HAVE I NOT HEARD OF THIS?! If dice can actually pull off battlefront, that should be next on their agenda. Or maybe give it to the old irrational team. Those guys know how to make a solid single player fps

beastro:

This. I can't believe I forgot the Real Fallout 3 (Van buren).
I don't know much about it except those few screenshots that were doing the round.
Could have been amazing, or rubbish. I'd prefer amazing though.

Vendor-Lazarus:

beastro:

I don't know much about it except those few screenshots that were doing the round.

Van Buren. I remember the dream, you guys. I remember the dream.

Well, I remember now, because you all reminded me. So thanks for that.

I'm still mourning the fact that that the Werewolf: the Apocalypse game got binned (the single-player one from forever ago, not the WoD MMO). If CCP put together a modest Kickstarter to give it another go, I'd probably risk it it.

Charcharo:
The lack of STALKER 2 is a criminal mistake.
Fix it. Nao.

Stalker 2 is in Liscencing Hell if I'm not mistaken. Though I could have missed the news that it got canned. Ohwell.

Vendor-Lazarus:

beastro:

There was a buggy-as-all-hell semi-playable alpha/concept that got released/leaked after the cancelation, but yeah, Van Buren was my "why the hell isn't this here?" game as well...

Honourable mention to World of Darkness Online.

0takuMetalhead:

Charcharo:
The lack of STALKER 2 is a criminal mistake.
Fix it. Nao.

Stalker 2 is in Liscencing Hell if I'm not mistaken. Though I could have missed the news that it got canned. Ohwell.

It is Frozen. Not cancelled. Not in production, even though GSC is back online. It is possible development restarted or that they are making Cossacks 3.

Wasn't Too Human supposed to be a trilogy? That game could have been good, if it wasn't so crapply designed. In almost every way. All they had to do was take it away from the original developers, quick as you would with a gun in a child's hand, then calmly had it all over to Bioware before running away, giggling like a little school girl.

Ok admittedly it probably is just the neo-norse style that is good.

Sorry for the slight bump, though it's still on the first page so...

Anyway, I just remembered another game I would have Loved to play. Freelancer 2.
Seeing as I still play the original every once in a while (without mods too!) the entire basic foundation was IMO Solid Gold.
I can't even count how many times I've completed it now. 20 at least.

No other, similar, game has ever really done it for me and I've tried or read about most of them.
Something is always slightly off or wrong, be it the camera (must be centered chase cam and not off-center like in Starpoint Gemini 2) or orientation, movement or a host of other stuff.

Darn, now I'm really miffed..again.
dontevengetmestartedon star citizen..

SomebodyNowhere:
One that I'm thinking of is Mercenaries 3. The studio folded and I'm not even sure who owns the rights to the franchise anymore. It just seems like something that could be pretty interesting with one of the new engines like Frostbite.

The last anyone saw of Mercenaries was Mercs. Inc, a multiplayer centric game looking to be even more arcade and candy-frosted than Mercenaries 2 was. If you ask me, Mercenaries 2 showed us that the series was dead already. Mercenaries 1 was HEAPS better than Just Cause, but now? Long live Just Cause 2. And how.

Eight cancelled games that we would really rather be playing right now.

Read Full Article

ffronw:

Eight cancelled games that we would really rather be playing right now.

Read Full Article

You know, I'd love to hear an actual reason why the Escapist is being so utterly and completely creatively deprived so as to not only be reposting OLD lists, but old lists that are also WRONG. Seriously, the very first entry shows that no work was put into this at all, at the very least you could of grabbed a sloppy cut of Scalebound and put it in the first spot. But nope, Shenmue 3? That game what got kickstarted? Yeah that is totally a canceled game never coming out--...
Oh wait... It got funded after being announced at a major convention and is currently in development.

Shenmue 3 was funded. It's planned to release in late 2018.

As for 1313, at this point it's just another reminder that there will never be another good Star Wars game ever again.

Gibbagobba:
As for 1313, at this point it's just another reminder that there will never be another good Star Wars game ever again.

Well, there's the upcoming Battlefront 2 game...

...bwaaaaahahahahahahaha. Aw, man, I almost got that out with a straight face!

Okamisama:

You know, I'd love to hear an actual reason why the Escapist is being so utterly and completely creatively deprived so as to not only be reposting OLD lists, but old lists that are also WRONG. Seriously, the very first entry shows that no work was put into this at all, at the very least you could of grabbed a sloppy cut of Scalebound and put it in the first spot. But nope, Shenmue 3? That game what got kickstarted? Yeah that is totally a canceled game never coming out--...
Oh wait... It got funded after being announced at a major convention and is currently in development.

Considering how very few features and articles they posted in several weeks (especially painful to think of compared to, say, 2012), I think The Escapist is on its last legs.

The Rogue Wolf:

Gibbagobba:

Well, there's the upcoming Battlefront 2 game...

...bwaaaaahahahahahahaha. Aw, man, I almost got that out with a straight face!

That one might actually be good.

Goddamn, a big-ass grave dig by the Escapist team themselves?! How desperate for content do you need to be... Lists that are out-of-date as well, with Shenmue 3 being in development and all.

Regardless, if you want to see why Warcraft Adventures got cancelled, well my favourite streamer got his mitts on a playable sort-of demo thing. And, well... Let's just say it's for the best that it got cancelled:

Get ready for a ride ladies and gentlemen, this one's a doozy. The placeholder text-to-speech is the icing on the cake.

How can you do this list and not mention silent hill?

The reason it was dropped? Konami dont want to do triple A titles anymore.

If ever you wanted proof there is no god, its there.

bjj hero:

It's a two year old list that's been reupped as a new article. It happened a few days ago with an E3 games article from last year so I'm wondering if there's a bug in the web code messing with the articles or if they are knowingly reuploading old articles as content. Of course I'm hoping for the former rather than latter.

Nile McMorrow:

bjj hero:

It's a two year old list that's been reupped as a new article. It happened a few days ago with an E3 games article from last year so I'm wondering if there's a bug in the web code messing with the articles or if they are knowingly reuploading old articles as content. Of course I'm hoping for the former rather than latter.

It's intentional. Not only was it posted again in the same thread as the original, it has a new line at the top stating, "As true now as when it was written."

Interesting that no one mentions a certain 3rd installation of a certain well known franchise. It seems to be finally dead now.

"The Escapist is still alive, guys. Honest!"

Arnoxthe1:

Well, there's still Yathzee....and that other guy.....(there's another guy, right?)

Dalisclock:

Arnoxthe1:

Well, there's still Yathzee....and that other guy.....(there's another guy, right?)

Steven Bogos?

Kevin Thielenhaus?

Sara Goodwin?
Robert B. Marks?

Lizzy Finnegan?

Well, there is always ffronw and his lists. ,)
(Which could have been good and were right at the start..)

I still want "We Are The Mods", and will throw money at it to make it happen if someone was willing.

Zone of the Enders 3?

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or