Supercry

Supercry

It's a long, hard road.

Read Full Article

oh noz, Nexus Mods is down for maintenance! D:

"White-guy-goes-native"?
We all know that white people were literally born with technology in their hands and that every new iphone comes with a new generation of white children, right?

Meanwhile, people with a different skin color all live off the land like noble savages, the true children of the earth who only take what they need.

:) A bit less self-flagellation would be appreciated boys.

Aside from every other modification, playing without HUD (or with a very, very basic one) is probably one of the best ways to play FC3 (and I suppose FC4 too).
Now if there was a way to play with an Oculus Rift it would probably become one of my favorite games ever pretty quick.

This mod looks awesome, downloading now. Thanks Grey. Gonna be a fun day since it's not like I can go out due to the ice storm.

Smilomaniac:
"White-guy-goes-native"?
We all know that white people were literally born with technology in their hands and that every new iphone comes with a new generation of white children, right?

Meanwhile, people with a different skin color all live off the land like noble savages, the true children of the earth who only take what they need.

The pampered white guy who has to get in touch with his spiritual side (via a foreign culture) and learn their ways to succeed is a pretty common narrative trope, dude. But feel free to interpret it as some kind of treatise on race and technology. That's not hypersensitive at all.

Smilomaniac:
"White-guy-goes-native"?

Seriously? The comic talks about a common trope in storytelling of white men having to go against the upbringing they've had and "go native," which is exactly what happens in Far Cry 3. Is any mention of the white man's position and role in the elements of popular culture that is even slightly critical now count as self-flagellation, or did you just not think things through in your rush to complain about something?

I like the subtly-conveyed look on his face in the last panel, it looks like he's thinking "I feel so ridiculous right now, I'm not even going to aim at people. Just let them shoot me and make ME the fanny-pack."

And naturally it works, after a fashion.

Stylin' and profilin'!
Man, I want a snake scarf. I would have it attack my enemies in close quarters.
Kinda like the darkness arm thingys in The Darkness 2.

So, this mod looks intriguing. It's apparently intended for those who've already beaten the game at least once so I'm gonna bookmark this for a (now much more) possible future playthrough.
I'm guessing the regular version is the best one.

Definitely an improvement over last week: there was sort of a joke this time! Well, one humorous observation that had a punchline that didn't make sense, but I like the hustle.

In short, enemies don't flee from you once you reach a certain upgrade threshold, so there's nothing to add in lines about 'He's too pimp to kill!' as a mocking reflection of.

The one thing that can't really be modded out of FarCry 3 and that I wish could be fixed is Jason Brody's overall voice-over. He starts out okay, in the expected "Well-off White kid out of his shell and forced to confront the harshness of the world beyond" sense, but the longer the game goes and the more he kills, the more he should've turned more lifeless; more identifiably sociopathic. I never really felt that. It never spoiled any playthrough for me, personally but, y'know.

Small niggle and whatnot.

TopazFusion:
The real question is: Why are there tigers on a tropical/Pacific island in the first place?

At least the inclusion of tigers makes far more sense in the setting of Far Cry 4 than in Far Cry 3.

The in-game encyclopedia has a fairly bullshit reason included: some rich idiot that preceded Hoyt Volker (the second island's main antagonist) decided that his tropical paradise wouldn't be complete without a couple tigers. He imported a few from Indonesia, they escaped, and they've been generally not giving a shit ever since, attacking every other thing that has the misfortune of having a pulse.

Because it's pretty much what the game's tigers do.

So I looked at Ziggy's mod, and apparently "making it a real game" consists of removing mechanics, turning the difficulty up to "I hope you have a game over screen fetish", obliterating progression curve, eliminating vital audio ques (shit did I change to frags? *PHFOOMOPF* ...guess not), and removing navigation/interaction prompts so it takes forever to get anything done and usable objects are lost in the clutter. If that's a "real game" I'll just stick to my fake games.

I use fanny packs as a weapon, to fight the fashion police.

major_chaos:
So I looked at Ziggy's mod, and apparently "making it a real game" consists of removing mechanics, turning the difficulty up to "I hope you have a game over screen fetish", obliterating progression curve, eliminating vital audio ques (shit did I change to frags? *PHFOOMOPF* ...guess not), and removing navigation/interaction prompts so it takes forever to get anything done and usable objects are lost in the clutter. If that's a "real game" I'll just stick to my fake games.

LERN2PLAY scrub, every1 knoes that pros can 360 no scope blaze it all dai.

I will have a look at this mod...
Though guys, you do realize that (with a lot of respect to the modder behind Ziggy mod) this is not REALLY impressive modding?

Have you seen STALKER Lost Alpha? Or ФOTOГPAФ? Or Valley of Whispers (all of these for STALKER).
Or Lambda Wars, Minerva, Reasearch and Development (All Half Life 2 mods). And many others.

That is the apex of modding :P Why not show it off?

PS: STALKER strip. Nao.

major_chaos:

Was thinking the same thing. Games have these crutches (UIs, tracking and what-have-you) to compensate for us not being inside of it, thus being unable to employ our senses to their fullest. Plus, mimicking real-life physics can be tricky, at times, so concessions must be made if you want to keep fun as a top priority.

Unlocking all trees from the start might give you greater freedom, but it also overwhelms you with choice. By gradually unlocking stuff as you progress, the designers can have some safety in their assumption that you are familiar with basic mechanics before introducing advanced ones, many of which require you to be familiar with said basic mechanics.

I can understand a veteran wanting a more serious challange, but enforcing hardcore mechanics onto all players might dissuade newcomers from joining and enjoying themselves.

Error418:

major_chaos:

Was thinking the same thing. Games have these crutches (UIs, tracking and what-have-you) to compensate for us not being inside of it, thus being unable to employ our senses to their fullest. Plus, mimicking real-life physics can be tricky, at times, so concessions must be made if you want to keep fun as a top priority.

Unlocking all trees from the start might give you greater freedom, but it also overwhelms you with choice. By gradually unlocking stuff as you progress, the designers can have some safety in their assumption that you are familiar with basic mechanics before introducing advanced ones, many of which require you to be familiar with said basic mechanics.

I can understand a veteran wanting a more serious challange, but enforcing hardcore mechanics onto all players might dissuade newcomers from joining and enjoying themselves.

I dont see WHO is making this upon new players.
What you wrote is fairly valid.
But this is a MOD to the game. And not one of those AAA-quality-new-content-expansion-pack-DLC-Omega-1337-more ambitious then whatever AAA studios are making with all their money- mod.
This is a rebalance/game mode change mod. One aimed at the hardcore. Or at least those that have played Far Cry 3.

IamLEAM1983:
The one thing that can't really be modded out of FarCry 3 and that I wish could be fixed is Jason Brody's overall voice-over. He starts out okay, in the expected "Well-off White kid out of his shell and forced to confront the harshness of the world beyond" sense, but the longer the game goes and the more he kills, the more he should've turned more lifeless; more identifiably sociopathic. I never really felt that. It never spoiled any playthrough for me, personally but, y'know.

Small niggle and whatnot.

I actually like the way he sounded toward the end.

There was that line when he was talking to someone, his girlfriend I think. He says that "killing feels like winning"

I dunno, I'm in the minority for appreciating the narrative of this game. I like what they did with Vaas, by making him the version of the player character who chose to stay, instead of being stabbed to death, he just turned into what we see. It's true that the game kinda slows down after Vaas, but I still liked that. Not many games have that, or even attempt it. Usually it either trends down from the start and continues that way til the end, or it trends trends up til the end climax. I thought Hoight was interesting enough, just in a different way from Vaas.

major_chaos:

Normally I would agree. As a rule "hardcore" mods do nothing for me, but the underlying structure of FC3 works so much better without the guff layered on top of it. Everything you need in game is still clearly marked, and the map design is strong enough to lead you to hidden areas naturally.

I'd like to know HOW this kind of stuff gets crafted from animal skins. Like in AC 4 and Rogue, how do Edward and Shay slap together skins from deer and whales into an ammo pouch. What tools are they using?

Darth_Payn:
I'd like to know HOW this kind of stuff gets crafted from animal skins. Like in AC 4 and Rogue, how do Edward and Shay slap together skins from deer and whales into an ammo pouch. What tools are they using?

I don't really care so much how they do it, so much as why they have to have different animals for different types of bags. I mean, the amount of actual hide they get from any single animal ends up being way more than it appears for the purse they are making. Hide is hide, and I seriously doubt there is an appreciable difference in the quality of the leather if its a tiger versus a wildebeast. How they do it is pretty easy, they're tanning the hide and turning it into leather to make bags, pretty simple. Yes this is all happening "off screen" but so is the "i'm making these plants into an injectable fluid out in the wild" as well, so I'm fine with it. I just wish they weren't so wasteful about it. xD

What I wish they did, was have it where you needed a certain amount of material to make the stuff, and it didn't matter what animal you pulled it from, but they would offer you different amounts of hide based on size. So you could take the easy route and slaughter 5 dozen herd animals to get enough quality material, or you can risk your life against the larger, more dangerous animals, and get more leather for your effort.

Charcharo:

I dont see WHO is making this upon new players.
What you wrote is fairly valid.
But this is a MOD to the game. And not one of those AAA-quality-new-content-expansion-pack-DLC-Omega-1337-more ambitious then whatever AAA studios are making with all their money- mod.
This is a rebalance/game mode change mod. One aimed at the hardcore. Or at least those that have played Far Cry 3.

No one is forcing anything onto new players here, and I agree with your point. My problem is with some of the artists' points.

Running around collecting random stuff or hunting for every last hidden stash just for the sake of completion could be considered padding, but those are there for another type of experience: The joy of exploring places and reaching hard places. Granted, though, that those aren't neither the focus of the game nor how it was marketed, but having one of those once in a while can help enhance the experience.

My other problem is his implied assertion that the commute between targets lessens the game's experience and could be removed. I don't, however, see how else to better build a world than to let me travel it at my own pace. I've been through most of the first island and it mystifies me as to how that country can run its economy.

In short, I feel he's being unfair. I agree with most of the design choices I could perceive, even if those are just there because they have already been tested in other games and proved popular.

The Wooster:

major_chaos:

Normally I would agree. As a rule "hardcore" mods do nothing for me, but the underlying structure of FC3 works so much better without the guff layered on top of it. Everything you need in game is still clearly marked, and the map design is strong enough to lead you to hidden areas naturally.

Anyways...
Is this the limit of Far Cry 3's modding?
I quite liked the game but never entered its modding scene. And since for some (stupid) reason most sites ignore mod news (even if the mods are better and more ambitious then most AAA games out there)... I never got to see it.

I know it has an editor. But are there new areas with AI and new mechanics made for the game?

PS: STALKER strip/awesome ass mod strip
Nao. :D

I don't think you actually can make quite the same joke about Far Cry 4, mostly because the protagonist isn't white.

HAHAHA

He's to pimp to kill

RUN!!!

god best line ever

I wonder if there's a game where you have to skin humans to build your inventory upgrades...

Or even, you know, just take their ammo pouches. I'm sure they have some, no need to fight dangerous/endangered animals and sew together a bag when there are literally hundreds of them with recently deceased owners.

As for that mod, it looks cool, though I wish you could choose what gets turned on/off. Like for the ammo readout, I like not knowing how much I have in the mag, but only when I know how many mags I have. And I remember FC3 being moderately difficult at times without added enemy damage and all those nerfs to the player.

Doesn't Far Cry 4 pretty much make this joke itself already? For the top-tier upgrades for all your pouches, you have to take missions from Min's former crazy fashion designer who explicitly doesn't give a shit about practicality and just wants to make you look flamboyant as fuck.

Evil Smurf:
LERN2PLAY scrub, every1 knoes that pros can 360 no scope blaze it all dai.

Smurf pls, I be 420 noscopin erryday erryday erryday U jelly cuz u cant even touch this swag bro.

Haha yea fiction starring white people is always racist!

misogynerd:

Yea! White people can't learn lessons! If they try they are just appropriating a superior culture!

Darkmantle:

misogynerd:

Yea! White people can't learn lessons! If they try they are just appropriating a superior culture!

Apparently they can't comprehend jokes either.

So many people missing the point, of the joke and the mod.

Some people just want a more immersive experience. Im the kinda guy who plays dark souls with the HUD turned off and memorizes the stamina consumption of my attacks and dodges just so the game will look prettier. I played Far Cry 3 as a hardcore stealth game (I really feel the missions that made you "go loud" really suffered as a result). This mod sounds like it would only encourage that kind of stealthy, careful playstyle. Although I am wondering how insanely difficult the missions that involved tense firefights without adequate cover will be. If I recall there's one in the second half of the game where you have to take pictures of traitor privateers and then assassinate them via RPG where you've got enemies coming from all directions (literally all, you're on a scaffolding complex on a cliff face) terrible cover, and deadly rifle and rocket snipers constantly shooting you. In missions like that the game kinda encourages the "take a shit ton of drugs, tank bullets, and spray and pray" style. I doesn't seem it'd work too well is what I'm sayin.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here