Zero Punctuation: Grim Fandango - Does It Hold Up?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Grim Fandango - Does It Hold Up?

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews Grim Fandango.

Watch Video

Dat stinger at the end!

Bugger, I forgot it was coming soon but now I am somewhat reserved of it now if it is still that buggy and prone to crash. I probably wait now til they patch it up I hoped.

Still kind of baffled that people pick-on the RE1 remake as a remaster, It's a port ffs. Hell, it barely qualifies as remaster when all they did is add extra numbers to the files.

That graphics switching function was something I quite liked about the Anniversary edition of Halo: Combat Evolved. That switch was bettered in the MCC, bar that the old graphics didn't revert it back to 30fps like the original 2 games where.

As for Grim Fandango, the gist is that it's a warts and all remake and that's good? I still need to play the original so perhaps I can just skip to this one.

"Testicle physics."

Good words to start the day with!

Frequently saving due to glitches and not in game threats? Sounds like a Bethesda game. :P

why does this entire site revolve around Yahtzee, again?

So since Yahtzee is pretty much the only video talent left on this site, how long before he leaves(or is forced out) as well? Taking bets.

Oh good, we got this weeks alottment of Escapist video content. Nicely done!

Grim Fandango was a great game back in the day, but I haven't played it since it was still reasonably new. And honestly, I still haven't decided if I want the remaster or not. It does the game no favors for me to learn that it still has so many bugs or glitches.

SoulChaserJ:
Taking bets.

I give it half a year.

Fuckarchon:
Snip

I just keep getting video ads from Electronic Arts but seriously the ads (including other banner ads etc.) have gotten seriously annoying.

Malaysian Airlines. Ouch! Dang Yahtzee you're a rebel aren't you? Can't wait to see who is "triggered" over it.

Wait, were the bugs Yahtzee encountered in the remastered version or the original? Because Double Fine are updating the remaster when they fix glaring bugs.
Fun fact: the mouse controls were added from someone who added mouse controls to ResidualVM's (ScummVM for 3D LucasArts games) version of Grim Fandango, whom they brought in as a consultant.

That said, only $15 for a re-release? Not bad.

Logience:

Let's see, Movie Bob is gone, Loading Ready Run much reduced, Extra Credits gone, most of the Podcasts gone.

Is there anything else left keeping the ship afloat?

For all my love for Grim Fandango, I never finished it. I got all the way to Year 3 (the ship) and left it there, because I couldn't figure out puzzle #1, and the crashes were getting on my neves anyway. Wish I could get it again and try it out with a fresh perspective. It's nice to see it's getting a second chance at life. This and Monkey Island are the best adventure games I ever played.

Logience:

You tell me.

I played the original through relatively recently. I don't remember any bugs and glitches, to be honest. It did require some tinkering to get it working on Windows 7, but in the end it was a relatively enjoyable experience, and the overall story and gaemplay still hold up nicely.

I'm not particularly eager to get the remastered version. I'm glad it exists for all the folks who wouldn't try it otherwise, but for me personally I don't really feel I need to play it again with slightly less pixely graphics.

This is the only genre that I completely trust Yahtzee's opinion. I played about half of the original Grim Fandango, and I kept a notepad for how many times it crashed. Some of them were probably attributed to Windows Vista, but it crashed 37 times in the 3 hours that I played it.

Never got around to finishing The Dig, either.

I finished The Dig way back in the day. It wasn't life-changingly great, but it was all right. Nice etherial ambient soundtrack.

On Grim Fandango, I don't know that Yahtzee meaningfully answered the question of whether it holds up. I'll probably end up buying it off GOG.com just the same.

The game hasn't crashed on me, but I haven't played beyond year 2 yet, so we'll see.

What? But The Dig is awesome!

Scarim Coral:
Dat stinger at the end!

Bugger, I forgot it was coming soon but now I am somewhat reserved of it now if it is still that buggy and prone to crash. I probably wait now til they patch it up I hoped.

Of cause I cannot speak about Yahtzee's experience with the game but I did not have a single crash or bug. I know that is only the experiences of 2 people but for me it has been a very stable game.

Johnny Novgorod:
For all my love for Grim Fandango, I never finished it. I got all the way to Year 3 (the ship) and left it there, because I couldn't figure out puzzle #1, and the crashes were getting on my neves anyway. Wish I could get it again and try it out with a fresh perspective. It's nice to see it's getting a second chance at life. This and Monkey Island are the best adventure games I ever played.

Logience:

You tell me.

Don't you just love it when you can do that. Well done.

OT:

Personaly I think the game still holds up. Loved every minute of it and I did not play more than an hour of the original as soon after getting it my dog picked my GF disc as her new chew toy. She was not allowed in my room after that.

Never really played this, just not big on the point and click game, but its good to get an idea what the game is about.

Also, will you people shut up about movie blob, and how there is nothing left on this site.

Alfador_VII:

Logience:

Let's see, Movie Bob is gone, Loading Ready Run much reduced, Extra Credits gone, most of the Podcasts gone.

There are still the two from the LRR crew and No Right Answer, and their other series Guy Cry Cinema.
What would it take to bring the Extra Credits guy back here?

OT: I forget what year Grim Fandango originally came out, or what that younger version of me was doing that year to not have me play that game, but he was an idiot. I'm gonna make up for lost time and download this new version ASAP.

EDIT: We still have Gavin here, right? Right?!

BrownGaijin:
Malaysian Airlines. Ouch! Dang Yahtzee you're a rebel aren't you? Can't wait to see who is "triggered" over it.

Probably the survivors.

Oh geez, The Dig. There's a poster child for good art, atmospheric music, fascinating writing, genuine intrigues, and bloody obnoxious puzzles that made you loose sleep and hair.

As for Grim Fandango, well, it's still got a lot more personality than a good number of other adventure games, even if it kind of hurries towards the end like it's got a vertical asymptote.

Did you watch Interstellar all the way through? Then you finished The Dig. But joking aside, The Dig is pretty good sci- fi with a great athmosphere.

Alfador_VII:

Logience:

You've got a treat in store, since you clearly haven't read any of Shamus Young's work. Enjoy.

I feel I have to plug Homeworld Remastered, which is coming out on the 25th. Very excited! :)

So...did anyone else feel that the beginning of the video was a jab at the people behind the Escapist? What with the sinking ship metaphor?

Alfador_VII:

Logience:

They've got those awesomely pointless 8 ____ that you should _____ lists to try to get better SEO.

Might as well just do Clickbait at this point.

The Escapist Presents Three Easy Tricks that Will Let you Finish Games 87% Faster.

He Played A Video Game To the End And What Happened Next Will Change the Way You Look at the World.

For all this site is worth now.

I finished The Dig, but not without extensive use of GameFAQs.

The writing, humor, and voice acting still beat anything current these days

I confess: I had to google "The Dig".

Wagnerian soundtrack. Writing by Orson Scott Card. 90's LucasArts adventure game.

Damn. Sounds fantastic. And it's even on Steam. How did I not know this was a thing before now?

Not gonna lie, with his talks of sinking ships in the beginning in relation to the Triple A industry (get the same feeling btw), I almost thought he was gonna take a jab at the Escapist.

But then that'd require him to be clairvoyant due to the whole, time when video is made and published difference.

Why does EVERY single person who reviews this game continues with the blatant disinformation about the original game not being playable on modern machines? ResidualVM, people!! Residual-V-freaking-M. It came out with a stable release like 3 whole years ago, and not only does it allow you to play the game on all modern operating systems (windows, ubuntu, linux, debian, etc'), but there's even an android port. That's right, you can play GF on your freaking phone!
I mean, even Schafer himself used it to play the game a little less than a year ago. So anyone who says it's not playable on modern machines is either lying in order to make the remastered version seem more desirable, or just wasn't looking hard enough.

Johnny Novgorod:

Logience:

You tell me.

What I meant Was: "Why did Escapist have to fire literally everyone but Yahtzee? One angry cynic does not a Website make."

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here