No Right Answer: Video Game Pre-Release Hatred

Video Game Pre-Release Hatred

We all know not to judge a book by its cover. But when video game marketing digs a deep grave months prior to release, it's pretty clear what some game developers are trying to push down our throats.

Watch Video

Pre Post
I thought this was going to be about the game named Hatred.

I loved the gag with the table. I was kind of hoping to at least get some honorable mentions of games that we all knew were destined to fail: I can't think of any besides Duke Nukem Forever.

I'd also like to see a redo of this episode where instead of games that we knew were going to fail, the discussion is on games that we got hyped about (Aliens: Colonial Marines and the last few major ubisoft releases spring to mind). Then again, I think I just want to hear people bag on ubisoft some more.

The end point is spot on, though: we're all the losers in this discussion.

Wait, why was Kyle mad about the Walking Dead game before it came out? I know it ended up sucking but it could have been well written and well made and we'd love it. Hell, didn't The Last of Us come out around the same time?

If it just being in a genre you don't like makes you made about a game then that's more of a genre issue than a game issue.

But yeah, the game clearly sucked regardless.

"No, I'm not pre-ordering your game because you pre-pissed me off."

This should be a normal reaction to any dumb announcement by devs/publishers/marketers that has to do with the release of their game/product.

And, to be honest, I'm glad they didn't talk about DNF because I think that was a clear punching bag for this kind of discussion.

We are the losers, my friend~
And we'll keep on losing til the end~
We are the losers~
We are the losers~
No time for bragging~
Cause we are the losers~
After all~

Anyway, table-flipping at 3 in the mourning is a clear sigh of how pissed off one can be regardless of their overall tone of voice... Plus, the real winning loser is pre-planned out DLC before base game is released... (Take that, a good chunk of pre-orders!)

flying_whimsy:
I loved the gag with the table. I was kind of hoping to at least get some honorable mentions of games that we all knew were destined to fail: I can't think of any besides Duke Nukem Forever.

I'd also like to see a redo of this episode where instead of games that we knew were going to fail, the discussion is on games that we got hyped about (Aliens: Colonial Marines and the last few major ubisoft releases spring to mind). Then again, I think I just want to hear people bag on ubisoft some more.

The end point is spot on, though: we're all the losers in this discussion.

That was a tiny table. I was not expecting that.
But the thing about Duke Nukem Forever was that NONE of us really expected it to be finished. Except for that one guy who pre=ordered his copy a couple decades ago, kept his receipt, and still got all that free swag when he picked up his copy.
And I'm probably going to be shunned for saying this, but I play AC:Unity, I have fun with it, and I don't think I'm missing much from the Co-op missions, since it follows the trope And Your Reward is Clothes.

RatGouf:
Pre Post

I remember when people were hyped up for DNF. Since its release, everyone has been denying the pre-release love.

About Evolve, they're right. I played the alpha and the beta and I eventually picked the game up for cheap and its fun. It makes me sad that the game is being ruined by 2k's greed, but they made their bed and now its time to lie in it.

Also my vote would go for the Order:1886, as soon as we saw the first gameplay footage a lot of people knew it was going to suck, and then the bad news just kept piling on (e.g. the infamous 'we dont like gameplay' interview).

Except Evolve isn't a bad game? Doesn't that violate one of your criteria right off the bat?

And half the DLC is going to be free anyway, so I really don't get all the rage around this, expecially since all the DLC out right now is just skins.

However, I will agree that the price they're pushing for the new monsters is WAY too high, so I can see the frustration around that. But I'd rather have a solid game with a good amount of DLC then have them release a sequel every year that also has a crap ton of DLC.

Valkrex:
Except Evolve isn't a bad game? Doesn't that violate one of your criteria right off the bat?

And half the DLC is going to be free anyway, so I really don't get all the rage around this, expecially since all the DLC out right now is just skins.

However, I will agree that the price they're pushing for the new monsters is WAY too high, so I can see the frustration around that. But I'd rather have a solid game with a good amount of DLC then have them release a sequel every year that also has a crap ton of DLC.

Evolve had less content, crap ton of DLC included, at launch than Left 4 Dead had as one package with no DLC. It gets boring and repetitive very fast and for $60, it's damn disappointing. Of course, that's all opinion based

ddrkreature:

Valkrex:

Evolve had less content, crap ton of DLC included, at launch than Left 4 Dead had as one package with no DLC. It gets boring and repetitive very fast and for $60, it's damn disappointing. Of course, that's all opinion based

I've put over 70 hours in since launch and I'm still having a ton of fun, and I really don't count skins as actual DLC. They're skins, they don't actually do anything. Now the number of special editions was fucking stupid, I'll agree on that.

I love the game and think its a blast to play, especially if you have a group of friends, but the marketing for this game was less than stellar to put it politely.

I can definitely say I've experienced the "pre-pissed off" anger at games before. probably my best story would be before Skyrim came out. I was working on a research paper for an English class, listening to youtube videos to keep the silence at bay (what can I say, I work better with noise then with silence), and every 2nd or 3rd video, BWAM, my headset would about BLOW my ears out because of that trailer that just bursts in with super loud singing, and that was always 3 times louder than the rest of the video both previously and after.

for some background, I'd never played ANY Elder scrolls games in my life. I had zero experience with them, wasn't an active gamer till long after they were out and in earlier gamers memories. so for my first major exposure to them being getting my ears blasted out with pretty pictures but no explanation to what was to be expected? Worst First Impression EVER.

Recommendation: Don't buuuuuy those games and if you do don't fall for their rain of DLC!

Captcha related: of course

I watched 60 seconds of your video... I got bored... I hated it before it was fully delivered.

it's nice to know that we've reached the point in the trend where people have actually forgotten what caused it, leading to titles like "prerelease hatred" instead of "game mismanagement hatred"

RatGouf:
Pre Post

So did I and they've pre-pissed me off by not including children for some dumb reason. Adults? Perfectly fine. Children? Nope.

This is why we should collectively put our foot (feet?) down and say no to preorders, no to season passes, and no to day one dlc. Unless it's a rare game that will be hard to come by there is no reason to preorer it. You'll be able to find a copy easy enough, but even if you can't for some reason just wait a few days (or week tops) and buy it preowned or hell rent it off redbox or something. Season passes are just a brilliant scam, pay us now for the promise some nebulous content in the future you have no idea what it will include let alone if it will be any good. And yeah I get that not everything you want to do can make it in time for the deadline, but then wait till the game is out and people have played it for a bit and become hungry for more stuff. Give it time an polish to make that extra content worth buying because when you shill it before we can even press "new game" that just screams shady and greedy dealing. Even if it might all be on the up and up it simply makes people feel like you held back stuff on purpose that should have been there in the first place.

So yeah we all lose but it's never too late to learn from it and be wiser next time.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here