The Right Body Type for Cosplay

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Read Full Article

Hehe, Rob Liefield.

Given my own physical and mental conditions, I'd need to go full Mascot Costume if I was going to Cosplay. Probably the Moogle Mascot Costume from FFX-2

Don't forget the other hallmarks of a Liefeld drawn character: Pouches and impossibly tiny feet. If you're a dude.
Oh! And guns! Big unwieldy guns! Man, MovieBob was right; comics in the '90's were WEIRD.

I'm just wondering how a woman would cosplay a Liefeld character

I'm one of the only people who will defend Rob Liefield and say that I think he, and 1990s comics in general, get a terrible rap they do not deserve. At the end of the day almost all artists have drawn some bizzare things and made all kinds of mistakes, and in super hero books in particular it seems all of them use weird shadows and proportions in some way. Granted some of Liefield's worst moments like "Mutant Chest Captain America" do stand out, but the guy also produced tons and tons of work, made millions of dollars, and helped comics through some rough times.

Nowadays it seems to me that part of the problem is that so many people do not "get" Generation X, and on top of that the explosion of political correctness which is contrary to the gleeful "Ding Dong the CCA is dead" is of course contrary to the "extreme" vibe of that decade. Granted SJWs were around before the label and well before they had managed to get the voice they have today, but right now I think the attacks on Liefield, Frank Miller, etc... kind of show how far gone that movement is, especially seeing as without them I'm not sure what shape comics would be in today. What's more I'd rather take Liefield's problems with drawing feet than people QQing because Batgirl is at the mercy of The Joker on a comic cover... and let's be honest, Liefield at least had guts apparently and stuck to his guns despite criticism and keeps drawing successful comics today, contrary to a certain DC artist who backed down, asked his work get pulled, and went to go hide under his bed.

Oh hai CAD.
Here's my bit of thinking to the wind: keep the rationale, lose the wordswordswords and try to lean a bit more on images for narration. Just because an analogy is funny ("I'd need a u-haul to get there (...) thought the loading dock") doesn't mean it's going to work no matter where you put it. Also: last panels are for punchlines, if they have more text than either of the preceding panels, then you're doing it wrong.

wordswordswords.

Cut down on them, man. This is a comic strip, not a short novel. It is pretty hard to get the punchline when the joke is 7 sentences long and the artwork struggles to convey it.

Objectable:

First break your spine and twist it to an awkward position.
If you hear bone crushing then you're doing it right. Next to separate some vertebrae...

Objectable:

Do you REALLY want to know? :3 Cos women have indeed cosplayed as characters like that on the cover quite handily.

Look up Witchblade cosplay for some relevant examples and marvel! Just euh..Probably NSFW though.

Johnny Novgorod:
Oh hai CAD.
Here's my bit of thinking to the wind: keep the rationale, lose the wordswordswords and try to lean a bit more on images for narration. Just because an analogy is funny ("I'd need a u-haul to get there (...) thought the loading dock") doesn't mean it's going to work no matter where you put it. Also: last panels are for punchlines, if they have more text than either of the preceding panels, then you're doing it wrong.

Laggyteabag:
wordswordswords.

Cut down on them, man. This is a comic strip, not a short novel. It is pretty hard to get the punchline when the joke is 7 sentences long and the artwork struggles to convey it.

More like B^U-haul, amirite?

Objectable:

Without internal organs, most likely.

Oh, come on! There's always Bo'Rai Cho! And Homer Simpson if you have any yellow paint that won't kill you.

Objectable:

Jesus, does this guy know how a spinal column works? That's not even sexy, she just looks warped.

Laggyteabag:
wordswordswords.

Objectable:

I suppose it would be something like this:

Laggyteabag:

I thought it was just fine? It's a comic, not a meme.

Norithics:

Laggyteabag:

If you need to rely more on words than on images to tell a story/joke, comics aren't the medium for you.

Johnny Novgorod:

Norithics:

Laggyteabag:

If you need to rely more on words than on images to tell a story/joke, comics aren't the medium for you.

Antithesis:

Quod Error Demonstratum, clearly you've not read enough comics.

Corey Schaff:

Johnny Novgorod:

Norithics:

Antithesis:

Or maybe FFN is just not funny? You can pick apart the problem as much as you want, but at the end of the day, it just wasn't funny.
None of their comics so far are funny. Is it because there's too many words? Or because their punchlines are dull?
Who cares, it sucks either way.

keniakittykat:

Corey Schaff:

Johnny Novgorod:

Antithesis:

Or maybe FFN is just not funny? You can pick apart the problem as much as you want, but at the end of the day, it just wasn't funny.
None of their comics so far are funny. Is it because there's too many words? Or because their punchlines are dull?

That'd be your personal taste. Also a non-sequitur to my actual post.

The statement that Comics are not a medium known for authors/strips that use text over images for conveying story/jokes is not backed up by the history of comics.

Also, it would show that your personal taste in regards to wordy comics excludes you liking quite a large number of the most popular and well known examples of comics, as I have demonstrated.

Corey Schaff:

Johnny Novgorod:

Norithics:

Antithesis:

The only thing that demonstratum, if we're to make sweeping statements about each other, is that you've read enough comics, but you don't understand them. For one thing, the first strip plays on the stillness of the image. It's very much telling me something on both a literary and visual plain. I'd argue that strips two and three make equal use of images to reinforce their respective punchlines (Calvin turning and breaking the fourth wall, Linus and Lucy breaking the stillness in exasperation).

Corey Schaff:

Antithesis:

The example comics you posted, don't they simply demonstrate that artists/authors who know how to make a good comic can make funny comics with lots of words? All those comics series in the pictures likely have many strips with few words and direct punchlines in the vein of what others were expecting. It just merely means a good comic author can make a good comic, regardless of how.

On the other hand, Full Frontal Nerdity has clearly demonstrated they are sadly unfunny with lots of words. Will they be funny if they used less words? I am skeptical.

Johnny Novgorod:
Irrelevant

Visulth:
Irrelevant

I don't understand how any of that relates to the statement I made, which was refuting this statement:

Johnny Novgorod:

As far as I understand your posts, you all seem to agree that this statement is incorrect, and that comics are a medium that does allow for strips which rely more on words than on images. But instead you want to argue something else. Unless you can explain the logical leap that led you to arguing about things that are in no way shape or form implied in the single sentence I wrote, there's not much of a reason to continue dialogue, since you seem to want to construct my arguments for me.

Laggyteabag:
wordswordswords.

"Reading: I Don't Have Time For It."
-The Internet

This comic is an interesting change to Critical Miss. Good to have it here.

keniakittykat:

Go and read another comic.

Barbas:

"Go and read another thread."

It doesn't help to be just as confrontational as other people. Criticism is a central part of improving as a creator, and voicing said criticism of work (whether it be constructive or "u suk lol") is something anyone is entitled to do when that work is released to the public on the internet. It's up to the creator to pick and choose what criticism they're going to take on board and what isn't worth remembering the minute after they glance over it. Regardless of how constructive the comment you quoted may or may not have been, if there's a large enough consensus that the comic "isn't funny" but is trying to be funny, that's something the creator should evaluate.

I'm not going to be presumptuous about the word count of the strip. The artists behind this have been doing this for years, its unlikely to change in the future. Though I think some of them have been a bit wordy, its a good comic nonetheless and I'd like to see more of it on this site in the future.

Also, anybody concerned with their body size when cosplaying, Google "crossplay". You can cosplay pretty much anybody you want, thats the whole point.

Denamic:

I suppose it would be something like this:

Oh my sweet tapdancing Christ, my sides.
That is utterly horrifying and hilarious at the same time, I just can't believe someone actually got that on their tailgate.

Eh. Bodytype... Cosplay.

For some, there's lots of options, for others not many.

And for some characters, the odds of anyone being able to cosplay them 'properly' are almost non-existent.

There's also the category of character where you could find someone, but they'd need to be about 10 or 12, and the nature of the character would make getting a 12 year old to dress up as that character seem like a really, really dubious thing to do... >_<

Face it. Fictional character in many cases don't look much like real people.
At best you're only ever going to get an approximation of one for most of them, so... You kind of have to improvise...

But, I'm sure judging from the other posts that most people were more focused on how funny (or not) the comic was... ;p

Objectable:

Step 1: remove the spine
Step 2: ????
Step 3: profit?

shrekfan246:

Barbas:

It doesn't help to be just as confrontational as other people. Criticism is a central part of improving as a creator, and voicing said criticism of work (whether it be constructive or "u suk lol") is something anyone is entitled to do when that work is released to the public on the internet. It's up to the creator to pick and choose what criticism they're going to take on board and what isn't worth remembering the minute after they glance over it. Regardless of how constructive the comment you quoted may or may not have been, if there's a large enough consensus that the comic "isn't funny" but is trying to be funny, that's something the creator should evaluate.

"It sucks", they said. Abuse and insults are not criticism and should not be subject to the same attention and respect.

Barbas:

shrekfan246:

Barbas:

"It sucks", they said. Abuse and insults are not criticism and should not be subject to the same attention and respect.

Actually, I think you'll find that as a fellow lover of Da Rules, every post made on this forum should be treated with the same amount of attention and respect. It's right there in the Code of Conduct, even.

Plus, it's just the old "treat others as you wish to be treated" adage; if you want to be dismissive and condescending toward other people, then they're going to start being dismissive and condescending toward you. They pointed out that they didn't think this comic or any of the ones preceding it have been funny, and that is information that can potentially be useful to the creator of the comic, regardless of how much you don't like it or the way it was phrased.

Given the way you've been so adamantly against cynicism on these forums over the past few months, I'm really having a hard time understanding why your apparent solution is to get aggressively cynical (or cynically aggressive) right back at people.

EDIT: In fact, if you had wanted to be constructive, you could have asked why it was the person you quoted thought the comic "sucks", inviting them to expand upon their opinion and actually give useful feedback. Instead, you effectively just said they should go away.

shrekfan246:

Barbas:

shrekfan246:

Actually, I think you'll find that as a fellow lover of Da Rules, every post made on this forum should be treated with the same amount of attention and respect. It's right there in the Code of Conduct, even.

Plus, it's just the old "treat others as you wish to be treated" adage; if you want to be dismissive and condescending toward other people, then they're going to start being dismissive and condescending toward you. They pointed out that they didn't think this comic or any of the ones preceding it have been funny, and that is information that can potentially be useful to the creator of the comic, regardless of how much you don't like it or the way it was phrased.

Given the way you've been so adamantly against cynicism on these forums over the past few months, I'm really having a hard time understanding why your apparent solution is to get aggressively cynical (or cynically aggressive) right back at people.

"Who cares, it sucks either way." That is what was written. That part is not criticism, and it is that part I was referring to. There was no need for it. Cynicism means being habitually mocking, distrustful of other people, contemptuous and sarcastic.

Now, I really don't know why you keep taking up issue with the things I say, shrek, but "aggressive cynicism" it is not. You are either mistaken or deliberately trying to wind me up again, but in either case I've got better things to be doing and so should you. Goodbye.

Barbas:

"Who cares, it sucks either way." That is what was written. That part is not criticism, and it is that part I was referring to. There was no need for it. Cynicism means being habitually mocking, distrustful of other people, contemptuous and sarcastic.

Now, I really don't know why you keep taking up issue with the things I say, shrek, but "aggressive cynicism" it is not. You are either mistaken or deliberately trying to wind me up again, but in either case I've got better things to be doing and so should you. Goodbye.

but "aggressive cynicism" it is not. You are either mistaken or deliberately trying to wind me up again, but in either case I've got better things to be doing and so should you. Goodbye.

Cynicism means being habitually mocking, distrustful of other people, contemptuous and sarcastic.

You have literally just contradicted yourself in your own words; you are being distrustful of my motives and contemptuous and sarcastic toward my methods. I am taking issue with the things you say because you are wielding the banner of idealism while quite possibly being one of the most cynical posters I've ever actually seen on these forums. I am trying to explain to you that your actions are not and have not been helpful in the grand scheme of what it seems like you want to accomplish. Telling people to shut up and go away if they don't like something is not going to actually make anything better. But if you'd rather dodge that and continue to snipe at people who say things you don't like without actually nudging them to improve in any way, then by all means. This is just an internet forum, after all, it's not like anyone has to consider anything said by anyone else. Have a good day. EDIT: For the record, I'm being completely serious. It makes for worse communication overall, but people don't have to listen to each other and that's part of the beauty of internet forums. And I do hope you have a good day.

Corey Schaff:

Johnny Novgorod:
Irrelevant

Visulth:
Irrelevant

I don't understand how any of that relates to the statement I made, which was refuting this statement:

Johnny Novgorod:

As far as I understand your posts, you all seem to agree that this statement is incorrect, and that comics are a medium that does allow for strips which rely more on words than on images. But instead you want to argue something else. Unless you can explain the logical leap that led you to arguing about things that are in no way shape or form implied in the single sentence I wrote, there's not much of a reason to continue dialogue, since you seem to want to construct my arguments for me.

Quote & censor ahead. Cut a man's tongue, you're not proving him a liar.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here