Kirk, Solo, Shepard - Who Is The Best Space Hero?

Kirk, Solo, Shepard - Who Is The Best Space Hero?

Who is the best science-fiction hero from Star Trek, Star Wars, and Mass Effect? The Escapist has the definitive answer.

Read Full Article

Oh boy, what has become of you, Escapist?
Hardly any articles, let alone news that wasn't reported on by other sites I frequent long before... and now clickbait articles? :'(

If you are going to do something like this, make it funny like No Right Answer.
Or an actual analysis with some weight behind it, a la Death Battle.

I'd imagine there's going to be some disgruntled Halo fans if they read this article. :P

Dave Lister

ChronoNexus:
Dave Lister

Seconded

Dave does in space what we would do in reality in space bum around just like we do on Earth. :)

Philip J Fry.

While the show wasn't the best I'm surprised Kevin Sorbo's "Dylan Hunt" wasn't on here. To be honest he seemed to combine the diplomatic morality of Picard with the willingness to shoot first and "cheat" when common sense would dictate it. Granted he is preachy and does do some stupid things for "WTF" moral reasons at times, I mean for example the whole reason his universe is in a shambles is revealed to be his fault because he wouldn't stop the genetically enhanced psycho facists from overrunning the military when he was given not one but two chances (this because of wiping out a civilian population to do so, but the second time he had the option he knows even more civilians will die as a result and all stability is going to vanish from the universe), but his show tends to be a giant contradiction anyway if you bother to pay attention (for example, when he eventually rebuilds the commonwealth, whether he has a crew on board his ship or just the same ragtag band he started with tends to vary episode to episode), of course he does compensate by being able to literally kick a space bad guy in the face with his super heavy worlder strength and to be blunt no other captain on this list seems to be able to match his better fight scenes including Kirk, better choreography (he apparently learned something doing Hercules for all those years) lead to a more skilled seeming captain when it came to breaking faces.

Not my favorite show for a lot of reasons, but when your looking at the quality/capabilities of space heroes on their own Dylan should be on pretty much any list, especially seeing as his show DID make it five seasons which is a pretty good run. What's more it has the same Gene Roddenberry pedigree as Trek.

If your bringing books into this (which doesn't seem to be the case) I will just say flat out NOBODY beats "The Stainless Steel Rat" except MAYBE Lazarus Long (but he belongs more in the time travel category). Yes, "Slippery" Jim Digriz is a space criminal, but he has captained ships, and even "humbly" disguised himself as an admiral of the fleet (successfully). He even ran for president!

John Sheridan. Overthrew a dictatorship on Earth, Destroyed the Minbari flagship in the Earth-Minbari war, Sacrificed his life to strike a blow against the shadows, returned from the dead, and told the Vorlons and Shadows to 'Get the Hell out of our galaxy!"...and lived to tell the tale.

You all need to step it up. Clearly rule63 Kaiser Reinhard von Lohengramm is the best space hero.

Oroboros:
John Sheridan. Overthrew a dictatorship on Earth, Destroyed the Minbari flagship in the Earth-Minbari war, Sacrificed his life to strike a blow against the shadows, returned from the dead, and told the Vorlons and Shadows to 'Get the Hell out of our galaxy!"...and lived to tell the tale.

Seconded with a passion.

Anything you can do, Sheridan can do better. He's not quite the diplomat Picard is, nor does he have the personal body count of Commander Shepard, but Sheridan was a war hero, an unbeatable tactician, and an iron-willed badass all the same. He led a war against earth itself with little more than a few White Stars and his unshakable conviction. He united the galaxy against a threat that had wiped out countless civilizations and basically just bitch slapped the most powerful races in existence so hard they crawled out of the galaxy for good. He gave his life for the cause and still had the balls to live for another 20 years. John Sheridan has the brilliance of a Picard, the inspiration of a Shepard, the ass-kicking qualities of Han Solo, and makes the universe-altering choices of Luke Skywalker without the benefit of fate directing him.

Truly, a Space Hero for all seasons. Also, Garibaldi is awesome.

TheVampwizimp:

Oroboros:

Seconded with a passion.

Anything you can do, Sheridan can do better. He's not quite the diplomat Picard is, nor does he have the personal body count of Commander Shepard, but Sheridan was a war hero, an unbeatable tactician, and an iron-willed badass all the same. He led a war against earth itself with little more than a few White Stars and his unshakable conviction. He united the galaxy against a threat that had wiped out countless civilizations and basically just bitch slapped the most powerful races in existence so hard they crawled out of the galaxy for good. He gave his life for the cause and still had the balls to live for another 20 years. John Sheridan has the brilliance of a Picard, the inspiration of a Shepard, the ass-kicking qualities of Han Solo, and makes the universe-altering choices of Luke Skywalker without the benefit of fate directing him.

And thirded. Glad to see other fans of The One here. xD I'm pleased it took less than 10 posts in this thread for someone to bring him up. lol

Oroboros:

/Thunderous applause.

A Sheridan poster is what Kirk, Shepard and Skywalker put on the wall as kids and look at it dreaming "I wanna be like him when I grow up!

I will never admit to anyone that I think he is kinda hot either, oh wait... damnit!

Asclepion:
You all need to step it up. Clearly rule63 Kaiser Reinhard von Lohengramm is the best space hero.

Allow me to make a stronger argument for Reinhard von Lohengramm:

while part of me says 'captain Mal Reynolds'.....

i have to agree with the vorlon *nods @ Oroboros*
you can't realy go better than Sheriden.
and even better..his wife has had some of the best lines (his second wife at least) and his first officers had some of the second best lines....

Kirk and co are good but damn, John is better.

Since Shepard didn't really save all that much and Han Solo is more of a heroic rogue, I'm going to go with Kirk on this one.

Happyninja42:

TheVampwizimp:

Oroboros:

Seconded with a passion.

And thirded. Glad to see other fans of The One here. xD I'm pleased it took less than 10 posts in this thread for someone to bring him up. lol

Clearly, the best space hero is Zathras. At least, Zathras thinks so.
Zathras is sad that no-one remembers Zathras.

Nods Respectfully Towards You:
Since Shepard didn't really save all that much and Han Solo is more of a heroic rogue, I'm going to go with Kirk on this one.

Wait Shepard didn't save much?! I thought the whole Reaper invasion was a big deal.
Kirk just kinda fucks about on a starship for a few years.

"Nuke 'em" Sheridan is nice and all but did he ever dance on a table with a nuke strapped to his chest to force the two most evil space empire to reach a peace treaty? Nope!

John Crichton did and therefore is the best space Hero. Lost in space through a worm hole with no hope of getting home and surrounded by insane alien criminals while being chased by space Nazi, John ends up becoming the most feared outlaw and stops a galactic war.

Wedge Antilles.
The only man to fly in the attack waves against TWO DeathStars and live to tell the tale.

Pilot, leader, humble in nature and steadfastly reliable.
The unsung hero of StarWars.

I really wish there was some call back to him coming in the next movie.
Wing Commander Antilles appearing for just one scene.

Luke pretty much saved the Galaxy as a Jedi, with only about 36 hours of training from Yoda! Pretty dang impressive! Too old to begin the training my butt!

You forgot to mention that Captain Picard saved all of humanity from the Q Continuum, and potentially the entire universe when he stopped the gigantic time field that was constantly expanding back through the past from enveloping... everything.

FemShep is also pretty damn great.

ChronoNexus:
Dave Lister

He gets my honorary vote.

Silentpony:

Nods Respectfully Towards You:

Wait Shepard didn't save much?! I thought the whole Reaper invasion was a big deal.
Kirk just kinda fucks about on a starship for a few years.

I just never saw caving in to the Star Child as any kind of win in my eyes.

moose7:
"Nuke 'em" Sheridan is nice and all but did he ever dance on a table with a nuke strapped to his chest to force the two most evil space empire to reach a peace treaty? Nope!

John Crichton did and therefore is the best space Hero. Lost in space through a worm hole with no hope of getting home and surrounded by insane alien criminals while being chased by space Nazi, John ends up becoming the most feared outlaw and stops a galactic war.

And here I was all set to chime in my vote for Picard, ready to defend that choice, and someone had to go and remind me of Crichton...

Damn it! Ugh, you win this one. I gotta agree with you and give it to John. The guy just oozed 'cool space hero'.

bdcjacko:
Philip J Fry.

Plot Armor and the luck of stupidity does not a hero make, as mucha s I love Phillip J. Fry.

OT: Han Solo. Aside from my absolute love for the trilogy, Harrison Ford and such, the man knows every inch of ship like a loving caring parent who nurtures his child. It may be a bucket of rust-splorched bits, custom rewiring that would confuse a standard starship technician to the brink of insanity and somewhat prone to breaking down at the least opportune tumes. But as a Captain, no one else can fix, his ship with a technical tap like Han SOlo as evinced in the original trilogy.

Mal Reynolds may be a badass, and has a demeanor that exudes a pheromone beyond "cool", inspires unwavering loyalty in his charges and knows just how to live off a spare parts budget but he's no Solo.

Picard is a great figurehead, a great leader, diplomat, deductive reasoner and an pinnacle of what humanity should strive for as a person a but as a starship captain relies too damn much on his senior officers' knowledge and skill to get him out of a jam via deus ex machinca.

Kirk knows only a handful of things, complemented by a way more competent bridge crew, and those things are fistfight aliens twice his size and strentght into submission and bed just about any female of any alien speciese (being that they're attractive to his tastes).I have often wondered how he would have faired agaisnt thje likes of Lwaxana Troi...

In any case, Han Solo hands down is the premier hero and ship captain because not only has he been able to singlehandedly do what no one else has ever done, score a hit on Darth Vader in thee midle of battle, (don't give me the "Vader was distracted bullshit"), he also can fix his own damn ship whilst uttering the words "its not my fault" when usually it probably is not..

/threat

You know, ever since I rewatched Star Trek recently, I've really been partial to Captain Sisko. He's got some moral ambiguity going on, but he never strays into full on anti-hero. He has believable relationships with his son and crew members. The father son relationship between him and Jake is probably the best Star Trek has ever pulled off from main characters. And the acting for the character is spot on, even including nervous ticks like rubbing his head when he's frustrated. It really endears you to the character.

Imperioratorex Caprae:

bdcjacko:
Philip J Fry.

Plot Armor and the luck of stupidity does not a hero make, as mucha s I love Phillip J. Fry.

Yes it does.

I'm gonna have to go with Jean-Luc Picard.

moose7:

You make a stupendous point. No one else on this list would likely survive being relocated to a ship full of prisoners and going through the nuttiest space adventure ever and keep their sanity. John Crichton did...except for maybe that last part.

Space captain who scares away the ancient super-aliens, or space maverick who out-thinks and out-ballses two galactic superpowers; let's call this a wash.

The correct answer, is None of the above.
Because the correct answer is
Like Han Solo, but much better.

I think Malcolm reynolds would like a word with you

Han was more or less a glorified taxi service, as I recall. Anyone else with a ship would have been just as good. The only thing he did that really mattered was disabling Vader long enough for Luke to blow up the Death Star. Which, you know, good job (sorta? They just built another one), but it was facilitating the actual hero rather than his own heroics.

Kirk did some pretty impressive stuff, but mostly on the single planet or even local scale. Moreover, he was a better explorer than hero, I found. To be fair though, I've only seen some of the original series. Next Gen and Voyager interested me more.

So, of the listed three, definitely Shepard. Saved trillions of lives by stopping the Mecha Sushi invasion. Unless played as Renegade, in which case "anti-hero, barely". But while a few of her Renegade Actions made me chuckle, Paragon Shep is the only one I really hold to.

Stanley Tweedle from Lexx is the clear winner here. Security Guard/Courier/Captain extraordinaire.

DOOM GUY:
I'm gonna have to go with Jean-Luc Picard.

I'm glad someone else put this in. Who are his competitors?

A guy whose plan is to simply attack everything and roll the dice? A warrior, not a leader.

Solo? A coward, an okay pilot and a princess fucker? Not sure he qualifies.

Shepherd? Maybe genocided the Krogan, maybe the Alien Queen (Ranthee?), maybe the Quarians/Geth, definitely the Batarians, maybe overthrew the elected alien council, maybe helped a dangerous serial killer escape justice, helped another one take back a hive of villainy and scum, destroyed the only way of travelling around the galaxy, ultimately destroying it anyway, placed her friend in the position of the ultimate crime overlord, helped a thief, helped a terrorist organisation get hold of Reaper tech, maybe punched a journalist, maybe tortured a man, so on and so forth.

Picard? Guided the galaxy into peace. Dealt with gods. Dealt with the biggest threat to galactic life (the Borg). Managed to retain his mind after assimilation. Dealt with the rights of androids. Could do diplomacy as well as war.

This is a man to follow.

A lot of people giving credit to Picard for containing the Borg threat. It was Captain Janeway who shut it down. Also, got her crew home from the Delta Quadrant.

A hero that did the most with the least. Captain Malcolm Reynolds. With no army, just a handful of people trying to survive in an indifferent, hostile universe.

No one mentioned Commander Adama. A leader past his prime forced to step up and save the remainder of humanity from extinction.

Best Space Hero goes to Han Solo, if only because I have no love for Kirk or Shepard.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here