Non-Player Counselor: Duke Nukem Has Mommy Issues

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Duke Nukem Has Mommy Issues

Welcome to the first episode of NPC: Non-Player Counselor! Video game characters getting therapy is all you need to know.

Watch Video

Alright, rough start. I guess the previews already showed me everything I needed to know about the art looking like baby's first Flash cartoon but I won't rag on it any more than that. It will progress over time.

The writing however, was also a little shaky. That introduction with Kratos was horrifyingly unfunny and I feel like you made a huge mistake by including it as that kind of introduction gives a terrible first impression. The therapy session itself actually had a few chuckle worthy exchanges (minus the cutaways). I see potential in the future but tripping out of the gate is never a good sign. I'll keep watching to see how this series progresses as I've been watching your guys' stuff since the very first No Right Answer. Hoping to see how you improve as time goes on.

TitanAura:
Alright, rough start. I guess the previews already showed me everything I needed to know about the art looking like baby's first Flash cartoon but I won't rag on it any more than that. It will progress over time.

The writing however, was also a little shaky. That introduction with Kratos was horrifyingly unfunny and I feel like you made a huge mistake by including it as that kind of introduction gives a terrible first impression. The therapy session itself actually had a few chuckle worthy exchanges (minus the cutaways). I see potential in the future but tripping out of the gate is never a good sign. I'll keep watching to see how this series progresses as I've been watching your guys' stuff since the very first No Right Answer. Hoping to see how you improve as time goes on.

Ironically it's not even done in Flash. We do appreciate the feedback though, and your willingness to stick with us. We've got some really great "Sessions" on the horizon.

The Dukem parts were nice.
At one point I was a bit confused who was supposed to be talking and who was whining, right after the stripper mom scene.
The beginning with Kratos was weird.

Interesting start. The animation could use a bit more work, though - animated mouths and a few more character poses would work wonders.

Why not put Lara Craft in the next one?

The art reminds me a lot of stuff on late night cartoon network and fxx; could use a little polishing. It actually reminds me of when Yahtzee started: ZP didn't have nearly as many screens per episode as it does now.

I thought it was pretty funny, although I will agree that the bit with Kratos at the start was kind of flat. There should totally be a support group for characters that have had their franchises mangled by devs, or even just an EA support group. Reminds me a bit of Wreck-it Ralph

As far as suggestions for who's on the couch next, I don't know: maybe the future guy from assassin's creed (the one they killed off and removed his brain), Niko Bellic from GTA IV, or maybe Samus Aran (might be too obvious?).

Piorn:
The Dukem parts were nice.
At one point I was a bit confused who was supposed to be talking and who was whining, right after the stripper mom scene.
The beginning with Kratos was weird

Agree on all points. This was the pilot finished weeks ago, and we've made a few adjustments since then. Stick with us!

I don't mind the animation being bad. But could you at least make the drawings reasonable? They look like I did them, which is terrible and the art-style (or lack there-of) just makes everything else worse by association. It doesn't have to be good, but does have to not suck, please.

The humour's not bad. Not great, but I'm willing to see where you take it. I can imagine some funnies in Pac-Man and Sonic episodes.

Not a fan of the art style. At all. Maybe it wouldn't hurt to dumb it down a bit, cut back on detail and work on quality. Writing is actually pretty decent, there were a couple almost Archer-esque moments. Not an amazing start but there's potential. Keep at it.

Oh, right. And sound quality / volume. I know it's a bitch but you really need to work on that. At this point I think that's what hurts the entire thing the most.

Barbas:
Interesting start. The animation could use a bit more work, though - animated mouths and a few more character poses would work wonders.

Why not put Lara Craft in the next one?

Her script is already written! Thanks for the suggestion!

Not Lord Atkin:
Not a fan of the art style. At all. Maybe it wouldn't hurt to dumb it down a bit, cut back on detail and work on quality. Writing is actually pretty decent, there were a couple almost Archer-esque moments. Not an amazing start but there's potential. Keep at it.

Oh, right. And sound quality / volume. I know it's a bitch but you really need to work on that. At this point I think that's what hurts the entire thing the most.

We talking lower ambient music or higher speaking?

Keep trying those impressions, Dan. You're no ace here, but you got potential.

Xman490:
Keep trying those impressions, Dan. You're no ace here, but you got potential.

Why thank you

Have to agree, a rough start, guys...
Don't be afraid to drop bad segments, like Kratos!

Gordon Freeman needs to be on the couch. It might be quite episode but you wont have to learn to do the voice. Garret from the thief series could be fun.

Firefilm:

Not Lord Atkin:

The ambient music could actually do with being a bit higher in volume, it's barely there as it is. Not by much though, just a slight bump. The main issue is uneven volume on voices. Some are barely audible and others are ear-shatteringly loud. I found myself constantly adjusting volume as I was watching. Some better audio equipment would go a long way as well, the entire production sounds a bit flat, high-pitch and distorted.

If there's anything I can praise about this entire thing, it's the way you seem to be dealing with criticism - and there's a lot of it to deal with. There's a bunch of potential here and I'm quite eager to see where you can take it with some polish.

Kenjitsuka:
Have to agree, a rough start, guys...
Don't be afraid to drop bad segments, like Kratos!

The waiting room intro will improve.

Not Lord Atkin:

Firefilm:

Not Lord Atkin:

The ambient music could actually do with being a bit higher in volume, it's barely there as it is. Not by much though, just a slight bump. The main issue is uneven volume on voices. Some are barely audible and others are ear-shatteringly loud. I found myself constantly adjusting volume as I was watching. Some better audio equipment would go a long way as well, the entire production sounds a bit flat, high-pitch and distorted.

If there's anything I can praise about this entire thing, it's the way you seem to be dealing with criticism. There's a lot of potential here and I'm quite eager to see where you can take it with some polish.

The pilot was made with a shot gun mic and all other episodes will be made with a much better cardioid. I expect you will approve of our future audio.

albino boo:
Gordon Freeman needs to be on the couch. It might be quite episode but you wont have to learn to do the voice. Garret from the thief series could be fun.

Brilliant! Maybe Barney can come with him and speak on his behalf?

Personally I thought the art fit the mood of the whole thing pretty well and made it probably more funny than it would be with slicker animation. I didn't think the opening scene was that bad but it could have been better I guess.

I guess you could make an episode where the therapist tries to get Chell or Gordon to talk to no avail.

hentropy:
Personally I thought the art fit the mood of the whole thing pretty well and made it probably more funny than it would be with slicker animation. I didn't think the opening scene was that bad but it could have been better I guess.

I guess you could make an episode where the therapist tries to get Chell or Gordon to talk to no avail.

We've got Chell and Glados coworker therapy coming up!

I have to agree with most the comments here. Lack of animation is acceptable if the art style is more refined/consistent. The important part is the humor, and I think it was well written for the most part but could have been improved with better editing. Likely a learning curve there.

I laughed though, so that's obviously good.

As for the Kratos part... only thing I'd say is objectively bad about the first episode.

I don't know if this is a bit of a stretch, but I would appreciate some captions/subtitles. I found some lines hard to here due to the speed due the delivery. I've listened to the line "Even the *something beginning with G (Giraffe?)* Chick got a redo" and still can't make out that word (what actually was it?)

Slowing down the delivery would impact the jokes as a whole, so subtitling it would make it more accessible in two ways: for people who are hard of hearing, and for people who may not be familiar with the source material and therefore might not necessarily understand what waas said.

Maybe if the show was styled a bit like cinemeatics with black bars and stuff then subtitles would not feel out of place. In fact, styling it like game cinematics would be a nice touch to the whole NPC thing.

Also, Banjo Kazooie have some sort of marriage counseling would be pretty funny.

I liked the Bullworth Academy diploma on the therapist's wall.

This seems like it will be a funny series, I'll definitely keep watching. Good luck guys.

Bit of a rough start, but so was "The Jimquisition". Keep working on it, listen to the feedback, and one day we will thank God for you too. :)

OR, we'll lead a crusade to destroy you in the Lord's name. It's something of a crapshoot. ;p

I liked the stinger. Could be turned into a running joke about how different characters pay you (or don't pay you) for the therapy.

I like the premise of this series. Art could use some work tho. Maybe tighten up the scripts a little. Other than that, it looks promising.

Fun Fact
Duke Nukem Forever was originally suppose to be Duke Philips Forever. A game about killing his ex wives & making sure he never has to pay child support. Philips however got replaced by Nukem after getting in trouble for killing pigs at a petting zoo in the name of parody cover art. And with it also lead to the collapse of PNN.
/sarcasm

Its probably too late or wouldn't make sense but I'd like to imagine sometime between talking to Gravemind & Tartarus that The Arbiter was listening to Losing My Religion by REM.

Ed James:
I don't know if this is a bit of a stretch, but I would appreciate some captions/subtitles. I found some lines hard to here due to the speed due the delivery. I've listened to the line "Even the *something beginning with G (Giraffe?)* Chick got a redo" and still can't make out that word (what actually was it?)

Slowing down the delivery would impact the jokes as a whole, so subtitling it would make it more accessible in two ways: for people who are hard of hearing, and for people who may not be familiar with the source material and therefore might not necessarily understand what waas said.

Maybe if the show was styled a bit like cinemeatics with black bars and stuff then subtitles would not feel out of place. In fact, styling it like game cinematics would be a nice touch to the whole NPC thing.

Croft chick. As in Lara Croft

Chimpzy:
I like the premise of this series. Art could use some work tho. Maybe tighten up the scripts a little. Other than that, it looks promising.

My artist had requested some elaboration on what you'd like to see with the art, but thanks for the vote of confidence!

Imp Emissary:
Bit of a rough start, but so was "The Jimquisition". Keep working on it, listen to the feedback, and one day we will thank God for you too. :)

OR, we'll lead a crusade to destroy you in the Lord's name. It's something of a crapshoot. ;p

I liked the stinger. Could be turned into a running joke about how different characters pay you (or don't pay you) for the therapy.

Yep, that's the plan with the stinger, glad you like it. And we're honored that you've slightly compared us to Jim.

IrishBerserker:
I liked the Bullworth Academy diploma on the therapist's wall.

This seems like it will be a funny series, I'll definitely keep watching. Good luck guys.

Thank you for noticing the sight gag! And thanks for the well wishes

The style reminded me a lot of this

Keep at it guys, the videogame world is filled with fringe personalities!

I quite liked the art style.

Are you sticking with human characters? I'd guess that Sonic the Hedgehog probably needs therapy, after the last few games he's got to be a ticking timebomb of repressed self loathing.

Okay... I lolled... It was funny. Very nice, Very Nice. Next up.. Sonic the Hedgehog

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here