Ex Machina - A Modern Sci-Fi Masterpiece

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Ex Machina - A Modern Sci-Fi Masterpiece

Ex Machina, the directorial debut of Alex Garland, is a modern science fiction masterpiece.

Read Full Article

Alex Garland wrote Sunshine, which, for various reasons, is at the top of my favourite movies list. It's not the perfect movie, but it touched on a whole host of themes that resonate with me. And there's one moment in it that crystallizes for me (the jump, if you're interested).

Or at least, Sunshine was my favourite movie. Until this came along. Now I'm really not sure. Because as you say, Ex Machina is practically flawless.

I don't know if any single moment in Ex Machina rivals Sunshine's one moment for me, but Ex Machina has plenty of perfect moments. And when the credits finally scrolled up the screen, I didn't move for at least a couple of minutes. I had to give the movie time to sink in.

Summing up Ex Machina in a word? Wow.

Those were some really cool looking AI's in the trailer without CGI clouding their designs and the fact the trailer itself was VERY interesting to watch. Nice review Mater, I really want to watch this movie now. I'm a sucker for movies like these if pulled off right (then again i'm a sucker for great movies lol)

Now I want to see this.

Hope y'all saw this on Netflix Streaming: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2317225/?ref_=nv_sr_1

It was pretty good too.

At first I thought it was an adaptation of the graphic novel Ex Machina by Brian K Vaughn, which made me think, "Why didn't they do Y the Last Man first? It's more popular!"

Anyway, this looks like it could be right up my alley. I'll give it a look.

Saw this in the cinema a few months back, and it goes up there with some of the few films I've come out of the cinema and thought "you know what, worth every penny". There have been very few films that I can say that to, and I really hope that this film does well financially.

TakerFoxx:
At first I thought it was an adaptation of the graphic novel Ex Machina by Brian K Vaughn, which made me think, "Why didn't they do Y the Last Man first? It's more popular!"

Anyway, this looks like it could be right up my alley. I'll give it a look.

If they used the complete phrase "Deus Ex Machina" as the title, people would think it's a Deus Ex movie. IDK if they're really planning one of those.

Looks really great, but why the fuck are all these super-geniuses at the hight of their career so young? Did he invent that shit alone? Seriously, for most people it takes a great portion of their life to become experts in their fields. And that should definitely be true for sth. as complex as an AI+humanoid robot. But well, I don't know the story yet so maybe I'll be surprised :0

I'll probably wait until Netflix to be honest. It seems like another variation on the same "questions" about the possibility of AI and the questions they raise that have been around as long as the concept. Granted while movies and TV have touched upon these issues to some extent the best works have happened in books. Even if it is a very well told story in this genera I'm not sure if I'd enjoy another "is it really alive?, is everyone a robot?, is no one a robot?" enough to want to pay a full admission price. But then again I'm probably an unusually jaded sci-fi fan living at a time when it seems very few people have actually read things like Asimov's "Robot" books and "Foundation" even if they have heard of them. You might be thinking "Foundation has nothing to do with Robots" but it does, big time, especially given the big reveals at the end, and the entire thing starts getting into issues about consciousness, intelligence, and what path humanity should take. The Robots are revealed to be the puppet masters in a way and firmly connected to the Robot novels, and what's more have become so human and so mentally advanced that they develop psionics (that's right, artificial brains equal to, or superior, to, even the rarely tapped potential of the human mind... if you want to get trippy with AI this is the definitive set of works taken as a whole).

But the question still remains for me: Do I watch this movie alone or with a friend? Basically, if I'm going to be seeing a flawless film, I want to see it with the best experience possible and I'm not sure if it's watching it alone or with, at least, one other person...

Other than that, those trailers are really convincing me to just go see this movie alone, anyway...

That makes me so very happy.

When I saw the trailers, I thought that it looked really really cool. Unfortunately, movies like that tend to get in their own way (like "Splice") so I am very happy to hear this. I intended to rent this no matter the reviews since it looked interesting but I may now have to find someone to drag to the theater and watch it that way before Avengers next weekend...

hazydawn:
Looks really great, but why the fuck are all these super-geniuses at the hight of their career so young? Did he invent that shit alone? Seriously, for most people it takes a great portion of their life to become experts in their fields. And that should definitely be true for sth. as complex as an AI+humanoid robot. But well, I don't know the story yet so maybe I'll be surprised :0

The film actually addresses this; our resident super genius is explicitly compared to Mozart, who was composing by age 5.

hazydawn:
...why the fuck are all these super-geniuses at the hight of their career so young?

Because they're not yet ingrained with old ideas? Einstein turned physics on its head at 26.

The_Darkness:
Alex Garland wrote Sunshine, which, for various reasons, is at the top of my favourite movies list. It's not the perfect movie, but it touched on a whole host of themes that resonate with me. And there's one moment in it that crystallizes for me (the jump, if you're interested).

Or at least, Sunshine was my favourite movie. Until this came along. Now I'm really not sure. Because as you say, Ex Machina is practically flawless.

I don't know if any single moment in Ex Machina rivals Sunshine's one moment for me, but Ex Machina has plenty of perfect moments. And when the credits finally scrolled up the screen, I didn't move for at least a couple of minutes. I had to give the movie time to sink in.

Which moment are you talking about in Sunshine? I've seen the film and liked it but there's not really one moment that stands out for me.

USER ERROR 42: IDIOT USER CLICKED 'POST' FAR TOO EARLY.

Let's try that again...

Spacewolf:

The_Darkness:

Which moment are you talking about in Sunshine? I've seen the film and liked it but there's not really one moment that stands out for me.

I'm actually quite surprised that this is a good as this. There was something a bit try-hardy about the trailers. A kind of pay-attention-to-how-clever-we-are type vibe. I'm only too happy to be proved wrong though.

Just stopping by to say I'm always interested in good sci fi films like this one seems to be(maybe 10 films of the year worthy?) and...

I don't really like it when people start to try marrying sci-fi with philosophy... but this sounds too interesting to miss.

Dammit I really want to see this. I'm kind of doubtful it will show where I am.

Actually starting to enjoy reading my movie review on here. thank you guys. Also why did the escapist move to more typed and less video content?

Ooooh, that looks really nice, actually.
Personally, I'm always rather cautious when it comes to people praising sci-fi. I've watched and read a lot about robots and sci-fi, so there are few things that really surprise or expand my perception, so I'm often disappointed and start nitpicking.
I had trouble judging the movie from the trailer, but with this resounding praise, I basically have to watch it now.

So is this movie just DEEP where there are only questions but no answers? I can't really tell from the review.

PS. I prefer the movies where they actually answer the questions, like say Moon, very gauche I know ...

Pinky's Brain:
So is this movie just DEEP where there are only questions but no answers? I can't really tell from the review.

PS. I prefer the movies where they actually answer the questions, like say Moon, very gauche I know ...

There are questions and answers. The question of "Is the AI alive, or just simulating life?" isn't exactly one that the movie can answer for you though. Though it certainly explores the question.

wow this wont even come out in my country....
there is only one way to get this movie than

I recognized the name Alex Garland but not Aaron Sorkin.

Well, maybe I have to see the movie, the guy writes good stories.

Pyrian:

The film actually addresses this; our resident super genius is explicitly compared to Mozart, who was composing by age 5.

Pyrian:
Because they're not yet ingrained with old ideas? Einstein turned physics on its head at 26.

Yeah, I had these two exaples in mind when I wrote that comment :0
But if you look at what AI and humanoid robots we can produce it seems to me they are harder to achieve (even more so on your own) than those two :p
Still feels totally crazy, because I imagine that with increased complexity in this field you'd also need more time to study it.
I guess I could get behind it if he only invented the AI and not the humanoid robot to boot(dunno what the movie says). But, you know, for the sake of entertainment I try to ignore the little things that bother me ^^

So I saw it tonight, uum idk I'm not sure I agree with the general consensus. The below does not spoil any specifics of the film, but might give you some perspective going in which may in a way spoil the film for you so you are warned.

The protagonist is so unrealistically socially inept it took me out of the suspension of disbelief. Part of accepting whats going on scifi wise is that I feel like the characters need to be believable, but in this case the human characters are mostly one-dimensional foils to understand the change in the film during each act. There was nothing particularly mindblowing aesthetically though the AI looks very beautiful and there's nothing thought provoking about anything that happens. The music however is very on par with Sunshine in case you're wondering.

So Alex is most famous for 28 days later and Sunshine.

28 days later stood out because every character in the film did exactly what normal people would do given the circumstance, even the soldiers. The film is tight, well paced and well acted. It's the most realistic "zombie outbreak" film ever produced.

Sunshine is easily on the list of most visually appealing films ever created. It has numerous flaws in pace and logic, however the acting is great and it's depiction of the solar system and the sun puts you close to those bodies like no other film up to this point.

Ex Machina is an atmospheric thought experiment basically asking - when you're performing the turing test and an AI is capable of passing, at that point are you not both on trial? I think that's what you'll get out of the movie, but I just didn't walk out with anything to process except a feeling of bleak depression. I can't explain why without spoiling anything sorry.

Without spoiling anything, I'd say the best way to see this is to enter it blind. Easier said than done considering where this comment is posted. The film's pacing is great and you owe it to the film to give it time to flesh out all of its ideas, which unfortunately the trailer/this review spoils. When I was looking into this film, it came as a "what about watching this film together?" gesture. I saw enough of the trailer to know that it is about Caleb turing testing a robot and that everything is not quite right, then I turned the trailer off and decided to watch it. I don't regret this decision.

As with most hard sci-fi, the film does raise a lot of questions for debate and it's definitely one going into my film collection at some point. It's worth a watch and a rewatch. While I can't agree more with this review on how stellar the film is, I can't help but feel the best way to experience the film is to be told "it's good" and a very, VERY brief plot summary. Anything more may taint your enjoyment, but it's still a great watch either way.

Yeah, it's a really interesting film. Visually amazing- it has that Blomkamp like quality of making technology matter-of-fact rather than "wow", even though the technology is prototypical state-of-the-art rather than practical and grungy. And the questions- well, I appreciate that it actually asks more than one question; it seems like a lot of science-fiction movies are comfortable asking whatever question defines the "high concept" of the storyline and fits on the poster.

Some of the criticism I've encountered, though... Well, it narrows the scope of the movie rather than examining it. Not this one, to be clear. Spoiler ahead; absolutely not necessary for anyone who hasn't seen the movie.

I watched Ex Machina at 7:30PM. It is 2:41AM. I am still thinking about it.

Watch this movie.

Just watched it. I can't stop thinking about it.

I'm having extremely mixed emotions about it, but in the best kind of way... Some kind of unique combination of terror, hope, sadness, and embarrassment (I don't know why for that one, but it's there).

Really, I am so aggressive after read your post and thanks for share it.
[Mod edit: link removed.]

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or