Non-Player Counselor: Big Daddy Makes A Poor Step-Father

Big Daddy Makes A Poor Step-Father

This week a Big Daddy and Little Sister come in to work on their family dynamic.

Watch Video

So is it just the Sony characters that give the receptionist a hard time or what?....

Just like last time, the opening skit made me laugh more than I thought I would... The concept of money is lost to the Nathan Drake...

Also, poor Gary... Not even he can realize that all Little Sisters have to grow up sometime and either be killed or saved by some dude under possibly hypnosis because they decided to hang out somewhere away from their surrogate Big Daddy...

FPLOON:
Just like last time, the opening skit made me laugh more than I thought I would... The concept of money is lost to the Nathan Drake...

Also, poor Gary... Not even he can realize that all Little Sisters have to grow up sometime and either be killed or saved by some dude under possibly hypnosis because they decided to hang out somewhere away from their surrogate Big Daddy...

Agreed, why not take the treasure to a frigging pawn shop?

Yeah...It's a shame. It doesn't matter if he's not related by blood, he's still the closest thing to a father figure she has, aside from Jack saving her.

Firefilm:
Big Daddy Makes A Poor Step-Father

This week a Big Daddy and Little Sister come in to work on their family dynamic.

Watch Video

1:12 Says the guy in diving suit battle armor with a huge drill.

1:16 His name is Gary?

1:40 (Sigh) I'm beginning to see why Jack would want to harm the child.

1:50 Frigging ungrateful kid! He's keeping you alive from the crazy people!

2:20 To quote Linkara: "This girl has issues that would give Freud a headache." But on the plus side, Atlas is dead now, so there's that. Also, no one ever said this job was going to be easy, Gold.

I'm still waiting for this series to make me laugh. I don't know if it's that the game references are too on-the-nose or the characters are too shallow or... maybe it's just the "straight man" isn't "straight" enough. Part of what I remember liking about "Dr. Katz" was the deadpan responses to ridiculous situations. If the therapist was remaining unperturbed in the face of Duke's obnoxiousness or the violent and morbid aspects of Big Daddy and Little Sister's relationship, trying to offer analytic advice that seemed insufficient for the extremity of the patients' situations, it would probably work better. Or if the oddities of the patients' lives led to bizarre but logical conclusions (Duke's "mommy issues" was about as close as that's come.)

I'm hoping this series finds its stride, but I don't think it's there yet.

Callate:
I'm still waiting for this series to make me laugh. I don't know if it's that the game references are too on-the-nose or the characters are too shallow or... maybe it's just the "straight man" isn't "straight" enough. Part of what I remember liking about "Dr. Katz" was the deadpan responses to ridiculous situations. If the therapist was remaining unperturbed in the face of Duke's obnoxiousness or the violent and morbid aspects of Big Daddy and Little Sister's relationship, trying to offer analytic advice that seemed insufficient for the extremity of the patients' situations, it would probably work better. Or if the oddities of the patients' lives led to bizarre but logical conclusions (Duke's "mommy issues" was about as close as that's come.)

I think Murray becoming less affected by the guests is something we can work with, especially in future episodes when we introduce more permanent cast members to fill the roll of shock guy.

That being said, don't be afraid to smile, buddy. We'll keep working on it if you keep watching!

Okay this one actually made me laugh.

"Can we bring out the bats again?"

I'd love to see some classic characters like Blue/Gary from the original Pokemon. Having a silent, uneatable rival like Red would make anyone into a douchebag. I swear that guy set up ambushes to get you at your most vulnerable. Could make for a great episode.

Firefilm:

Callate:

I think Murray becoming less affected by the guests is something we can work with, especially in future episodes when we introduce more permanent cast members to fill the roll of shock guy.

That being said, don't be afraid to smile, buddy. We'll keep working on it if you keep watching!

I'll keep watching. Thanks for the response; I am trying to be constructive, not trolling.

I think this series has a lot of potential. Keep up the great work guys!

One suggestion: You might want to consider throwing in a few extra frames next time. So much of it just being the same static image is fine, but with even 3 or 4 more I think it could really sell the back and forth "coverage" look you seem to be going for. A couple of extra facial expressions to help sell the jokes and all that.

Just a thought. Cheers!

"Don't forget to wear a jacket. It's cold out." "YOU'RE NOT MY REAL DAD!"
Hey, if you live in a city at the bottom of the ocean, surrounded by water, of course it will be cold. You're surrounded by cold! Bringing a jacket is solid advice. He' just looking out for your safety, you little ingrate!

Good episode, nice pacing... nice sell on the batshit insanity that is the Bioshock setting... it worked for me and made me smile. Straight up murder? Oh no its ok if they can regenerate.

Hehehe. xD This was an improvement over the last one. Well done!

One thing though. The timing of the jokes seems a bit off. Good set ups, but you may want to work on how much you distance the dialog.
One example is the first bit with Drake. His lines seemed to come a bit too fast at certain parts.

Ya don't need a big pause in-between every line, but it seemed a bit too fast in places. Otherwise, pretty good. Keep up the good work!

Imp Emissary:
Hehehe. xD This was an improvement over the last one. Well done!

One thing though. The timing of the jokes seems a bit off. Good set ups, but you may want to work on how much you distance the dialog.
One example is the first bit with Drake. His lines seemed to come a bit too fast at certain parts.

Ya don't need a big pause in-between every line, but it seemed a bit too fast in places. Otherwise, pretty good. Keep up the good work!

I super appreciate the feedback, I'll fiddle with the pacing for next week!

Imperioratorex Caprae:
Good episode, nice pacing... nice sell on the batshit insanity that is the Bioshock setting... it worked for me and made me smile. Straight up murder? Oh no its ok if they can regenerate.

Glad you like it, and thanks for watching. Hopefully it'll only get better

This was good, I'm liking it so far. The fact that the guy is kind of used to it to a point is a thing. "Thats a new carpet! Also murder!".

One or two more frames to use might be a good idea, but I like the idea of the stock -_- kind of look on the therapist face used often.

This is really funny. Keep up the good work.

TorchofThanatos:
This is really funny. Keep up the good work.

Can do!

Ok, this time the opening skit nailed it, loved Nate's flirting.

Not so sure about Gary and the Little Sister though. not sure why it didn't work for me

Alfador_VII:
Ok, this time the opening skit nailed it, loved Nate's flirting.

You've made my weekend. Seriously. My engine runs on positive reinforcement.

I just played through Uncharted 2 and 3 for the first time, and you really killed it with Drake.
Would love to see him in a future episode. I have the theory that he isn't actually related to Francis Drake, but he just concocted that fantasy to help him cope with not having parents and not having a real childhood because he was raised by Scully.
Great work on this episode!

DrownedAmmet:
I just played through Uncharted 2 and 3 for the first time, and you really killed it with Drake.
Would love to see him in a future episode. I have the theory that he isn't actually related to Francis Drake, but he just concocted that fantasy to help him cope with not having parents and not having a real childhood because he was raised by Scully.

:/ Um, I haven't played the Uncharted games, but isn't that actually the official lore?

I'm pretty sure he picked the name himself cause he liked Francis Drake a lot, or something like that.
I heard about it from a second hand source though, so I'm not 100% on that. Just about 92.5% sure. <.<

DrownedAmmet:

Thank you! Drake definitely will return, he's just too fun not to bring back

big improvement to the firs episode. enjoyed it much more. now at least i could tell who is who. well done with the voices.

who i likw to see next?
rayne from bloodrayne

Oh Drake... Ok you guys sold me I think I need to watch this series's previous episodes now...

Also hows about one of the Elder Scrolls NPCs? Dealing with a rampant kleptomanic who also happens to be the 'savior' of your world can't be fun. Especially if you are a Telvanni named Neloth who had to deal with both the Nerevarine nagging him and then the Dragonborn pestering him several hundred years later.

Either way, splendid video.

I forget the name, but isn't this a rip-off of a series of (live-action) YouTube videos where a doctor would treat videogame characters? The receptionist had the hots for Mass Effect's Shepard? Nathan Drake and Lara Croft had couple counseling? Anybody?

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here