188: Real Gamers, Real Relationships

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Real Gamers, Real Relationships

The staff of The Escapist, and their relationship partners, speak with Team Hollywood about the ups and downs of loving a gamer.

Read Full Article

Oh, I loved what Alex said about romanticism and gamers. I've always tried to convince my friends of this, and have had some success.
Epic cuteness too. I loved this to the bottom of my lonely heart. <3

You know, most of the gamers I've met CAN be romantic if they want, but they also can be some of the least romantic people I've met. On the other hand, you also get people like me that are so overly romantic that it's adverse to my health sometimes.

I really liked this, hope to see more of these!

Heh, we got all those couples beat. My gf and I waited 8 long, grueling hours in 40 degree weather in line for the Wii. It was kinda obvious after that day that we were meant to be together.

Kara is awesome, CoX is a great MMO :)

I thought the guy at the beginning made a good point about gaming not being romantic in the same way as watching a film etc...though put it rather crudely :D

No way, man. Gamers are romantic. You heard it here!

I think a fact that has been left out in this video, though interesting, is that all of the people interviewed were in relationships with other gamers (to varying extents). As a member of "Generation Atari" I never found my "holy grail gaming girl" but am still happily married to a non-gamer. For us, my gaming and the time I spend doing it is seen the same way her "reality tv time" is. 1 hour of entertainment in any form is equal to another.

Where we did hit problems is when I played a short stint of Warcraft. Games that kept me isolated for dozens of hours a week did not help our relationship. I would have liked to see this same interview with people in situations like me.

i do agree that gamers (depending on the genre you play most.) are more romantic then your average person. but we have a harder time expressing that or displaying it do to the way gamers are seen. I've found no luck displaying romance in a relationship with a woman,then again I've been dating all the wrong women

im terrible at relationships, i dont do romance. but i think thats less to do with my 28 years of gameing & more to do with the fact im.......... emotionally underdeveloped shall we say (you cud say retarded aswell, i supose ;-)

I'm interested to see that gamer/gamer coupled do exist, I suspected they didn't. Sadly, girl-gamers are still rare to find, especially here in the England where gaming is still seen as a childish toy.

As a heavy gamer myself, Finding someone who can be romantic and is a gamer has proved challenging but Here's hoping

Hm, one of the women didn't seem happy with her boyfriend gaming....

There definitely still need to be more girls gaming and it's good to see evidence that gamers can be romantic - valentine's gift... "hmm.. sex?!"

"there is hope" lol this video shall go down in gaming history

I think gamers that see video games as a place to help their creativity flourish can be very romantic indeed. Those gamers that use gaming to get away from real life on the other hand I don't think have a chance.

kukuku ^^:
Hm, one of the women didn't seem happy with her boyfriend gaming....

I think you're talking about Kara, and it probably has something to do with the questions and answers that were picked. She plays WoW now (and works here, no less).

She's a convert though, not a native gamer ;)

I think what this shows is that gamers should shack up with other gamers; not exclusively of course.

Both my wife & I play games and oftentimes the same games, though we usually have each other to thank: she got me into the Sims and I got her into GTA and neither of us thought we would like it as much as we do.

The benefit of dating another gamer is that when one of us gets a little addicted to a game, the other is a bit more understanding. This of course eventually leads to both of us wanting to play the same game (most recently Fallout 3) but I think our bickering over who's character gets loaded up is much lighter than the one sided addict arguments I've seen tear up a marriage. And yes I've known a woman who divorced her husband (of course she started by cheating on him first: with a friend of mine) because he gave his games more attention than her.

Gargh, these concepts of love and romance. They sicken me to the depths of my blackened soul.

On a side note, I like the variation we're getting with the Videos these days. Are issue-specific videos going to become a regular thing?

Singing Gremlin:
On a side note, I like the variation we're getting with the Videos these days. Are issue-specific videos going to become a regular thing?

Probably more of an irregular thing for a while - kind of depends on the issue topic and whether people like them.

The BF and I have been together for about 2 yrs now and at first it was a lot of teaching him how to be in a relationship... he's the nerdy gamer type, so much of what he spent his time on was programming and gaming. After time, he's better about being romantic, but still is learning which is fine by me...

Means I can surprise him more with romantic things ^_^

As a suggestion, if you are going to make more videos like these, consider a better set. =)

Cute, and yeh. But Oh, my god, that woman's laugh!

That was excellent, probably my favorite video so far by you folks.

i see more downs than ups if you love a gamer...

I have a sad "love found, love lost" story about gaming and relationship. For a looooong time I thought that "gamer girls" are a myth, and me finding one, who (aside from being a gamer) is for me in every way, is twenty-four miles beyond impossible. But, as they say, love finds you when you least expect it, and goddamn, it did.

We met in the college dorm. The first ever topic we talked about was Neverwinter Nights, and how she can't be removed from the PC when she was playing, not even with explosives. It was obvious she was a gamer, she could talk hours about NWN, Diablo II, Baldurs Gate, Morrowind...etc. She was an RPG Girl (and Anime Girl). BUT! Being a gamer does not mean you are not romantic. Quite the opposite.

Only a gamer girl knows what a gamer guy really wants. For my birthday, she got me a limited edition of the game I was meant to buy for a loooong time, but couldn't find it anywhere, Blade Runner (the adventure game from way back then). I was ecstatic. In return, I bought her a Gaara keychain and a Sharingan necklace. This was an elaborate scheme, because I live in Hungary, and you can't get that sort of stuff around here (not original stuff anyway), not even in Europe, so I had to call up an internet-acquaintance in Florida to buy and send it to me, right across the globe. She broke into tears right there, that that was what she wanted all along (I knew she way lying, but I saw that she was so moved by my effort to bring her joy, that she was truly happy.)

But then, you know how it is, girl meets boy, boy meets girl, they are happy for some weeks, then girl decides to leave because.... some reason or other...

Well, it was the most beautiful and fun few weeks of my entire life...still...

well this was good and made me feel like i have hope in this world being a gamer... that i could find love. :)

pyromcr:
i see more downs than ups if you love a gamer...

Why do you say that? If you're a gamer, being paired with a fellow gamer can help your relationship immensely.

I'm married to a non-gamer. He's a great guy, and he does like to do things, but playing games is not one of them. He'd prefer to watch television. My family, though, plays games. When I was a young teen, our television set broke, and my parents noticed that the house was quieter, even though we had a lot of friends over and we were constantly playing. They didn't fix it, so we started getting games. Video games weren't around then, but Avalon Hill made bookshelf games, and we had a LOT of those. Great times. :) Video games are what I play since I don't have a gaming group I can sit around a table with.

Oh, and I met my husband in karate class. It's going to be hard to meet a gamer in real life. If you do want to meet one, you'll need to start frequenting the gaming groups in your area. Eventually you can find someone who seems to be compatible.

milomalo:
well this was good and made me feel like i have hope in this world being a gamer... that i could find love. :)

One major thing I found when talking to gamer guys... is that many of them try to act cool around me, but fail miserably... which in turn made me dislike them. It's really true when people say "be yourself damn it" and that's more of a reason why I'm dating my current BF. In the muck of fake people who are infatuated with me because I talked to them about gaming, I found him. ^_^

CirrusEpix:
I think a fact that has been left out in this video, though interesting, is that all of the people interviewed were in relationships with other gamers (to varying extents). As a member of "Generation Atari" I never found my "holy grail gaming girl" but am still happily married to a non-gamer. For us, my gaming and the time I spend doing it is seen the same way her "reality tv time" is. 1 hour of entertainment in any form is equal to another.

Where we did hit problems is when I played a short stint of Warcraft. Games that kept me isolated for dozens of hours a week did not help our relationship. I would have liked to see this same interview with people in situations like me.

Same here, especially the warcraft. If a guy like me can get married, even with my less than manly hobbies, there's hope for every one. Soon be 10 years!

Can we say that some video games can have a tendency to turn people into hopeless romantics (possibly me)? Probably goes the same for people who watch too many romance movies too though.

I need to date a gamer again...(maybe) lol i didn't really see the point in this?...if gaming becomes such a big issue in your relationship you need to get out more or if it does you need to bond with it together.

romance and gaming is completely separate

maybe i'm too emotionally numb now i can't see the point in this video

Et3rnalLegend64:
Can we say that some video games can have a tendency to turn people into hopeless romantics (possibly me)? Probably goes the same for people who watch too many romance movies too though.

or play too many jrpg's lol

Doug:
I'm interested to see that gamer/gamer coupled do exist, I suspected they didn't. Sadly, girl-gamers are still rare to find, especially here in the England where gaming is still seen as a childish toy.

~waves her british flag~

=D

well the wii didn't help( yes sorry its a very girly console since wii fit came out) and its still incredibly sexist sadly.

its actually harder for women to find guy gamers that have the same passion about games as they do =[

sorry user name taken.:

Doug:

~waves her british flag~

=D

well the wii didn't help( yes sorry its a very girly console since wii fit came out) and its still incredibly sexist sadly.

its actually harder for women to find guy gamers that have the same passion about games as they do =[

*whistles the first bars of 'Rule Britannia' to prove his Britishness*

Anywho, the Wii is an alright console to me, although I prefer the PC, but in all honest it depends on what you want from a games machine.

Some gamers do seem to be better than others at least - I've noticed that the TF2 players seem to be politer and are less likely to be sexist/racist, but its sad that these things are still an issue.

And I'm surprised you can't find male UK gamers - although I suppose its not obvious given the primary leisure activity over here seems to be getting as pissed as possible, heh.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 54106)