Is It Possible? "A Phantom Edit" Makes Star Wars Prequels Surprisingly Good

Pages 1 2 NEXT

This fan edit of the Star Wars prequels somehow manages to make the trilogy palatable.

Read Full Article

I like fan edits of movies *cough* The Hobbit *cough*. The guy who made this, rather than be offered a job, will most likely be sued.

Great article, I'll have to watch it before it inevitably gets taken down by Lucasfilm/Disney/whatever.

I like the disclaimer. "All trademarked and copyrighted liscences are property of their repsective owners".

EDIT: Ugh, even the text crawl is riddled with errors.

Don't worry folks, there's still Jar-jar in there!

The problem with fan edits of the prequels are that some poor acting/writing are pivotal to the plot and have to stay in. Also, cutting to this level means some coherence between cuts is lost.

EDIT: pacing is a major problem with renegade cuts as well

My suggestion for the prequels: only watch the action scenes

Cutting Ray Park, Christopher Lee, and the less hateable child Anakin isn't going to do it.

Call it a kneejerk reaction, but just going by the summary, it sounds absolutely horrible. :/

I can understand a lot of the disdain toward the prequels, even if I don't necessarily agree with all of it, but here it sounds like they completely butchered the movies.

People should just accept that the prequels won't change to their liking nor will they go away

It's been 16 years of nonstop butthurt, time to let go

Improving the prequels, step 1, cut out Phantom Menace. Yep, sounds about right...

You people should really take the time to watch, it actually made me care about anakin

Jandau:
Improving the prequels, step 1, cut out Phantom Menace. Yep, sounds about right...

Step 2: Cut out Attack of the Clones.

Scars Unseen:

Jandau:

Step 2: Cut out Attack of the Clones.

I thought step 2 was removing Hayden Christensen. I'd honestly love an inverse of this edit where it focuses on the politics and war and cut the love story.

So all this really did was make me realize even the final fight scene in phantom menace was pretty dumb. It was way too much of an obnoxious dance fight. I skipped through the rest because the dialog, I'm not sure if the actors are really that at fault when it's 90% green screens and bad writing, but I noticed even the final fight in the trilogy while better was still way over choreographed. I actually tend to think the latter half of attack of the clones is the only watchable piece of the entire trilogy.

piscian:
So all this really did was make me realize even the final fight scene in phantom menace was pretty dumb. It was way too much of an obnoxious dance fight. I skipped through the rest because the dialog, I'm not sure if the actors are really that at fault when it's 90% green screens and bad writing, but I noticed even the final fight in the trilogy while better was still way over choreographed. I actually tend to think the latter half of attack of the clones is the only watchable piece of the entire trilogy.

Here's hoping that the new trilogy takes more inspiration from the original trilogy when it comes to lightsaber battles. Luke vs Vader is the gold standard here, either movie.

I'll have to get these asap, don't really remember the prequels and the original trilogy was over before I was born so I don't think I've ever seen the whole 3 movies, just bit and pieces. But I like J.J. Abrams movies so I want to watch all 6 episodes before the 7th one comes out and fan edits are always a better option since they tend to be faster and only focus on what's important

Not really sure why Phantom Menace wasn't cut entirely. The fight scene on it's own does nothing other than give Maul a cameo and let you know that Qui-Gon wanted Obi-wan to train 'the boy'. All of that is completely irrelevant to the rest of the series and would have been just as well off opening the movie with Kenobi and Anakin. Better really, as the fight is so brief and without much context that it just seems odd.

Overall, still rather limited by it's source material, and splicing scenes can certainly make pacing a bit odd and jumpy at times. Only really recommendable as a curiosity or if you're trying to introduce somebody new to Star Wars and don't want tarnish the experience too much with the full prequels.

GZGoten:
I'll have to get these asap, don't really remember the prequels and the original trilogy was over before I was born so I don't think I've ever seen the whole 3 movies, just bit and pieces. But I like J.J. Abrams movies so I want to watch all 6 episodes before the 7th one comes out and fan edits are always a better option since they tend to be faster and only focus on what's important

If you do, watch the original trilogy first, as the prequels work on the assumption that you have. Well, insofar as they work at all. You might like them better than those of us that grew up with the original trilogy.

MrPeanut:
People should just accept that the prequels won't change to their liking nor will they go away

It's been 16 years of nonstop butthurt, time to let go

This is the internet.

They're never going to let go of it.

Ever.

OT: Considering how I actually enjoy the prequels, I don't see much point in watching this except to maybe laugh at it. I can't wait until the next trilogy starts coming out and we can go through this cycle allllll over again.

Also a bit disappointing that the discovery of the clone army was cut. Plot-wise it doesn't really work, as it plays out like they decided to get a clone army and just somehow has one a day later from nowhere.

More importantly, the single good story told in the prequels is that of Palpatine's orchestration of the war to secure his power. You still know he's the bad guy by the end in this, but it shouldn't have buried the things linking to his long term scheming, like the origin of the clones and why exactly there was an army already in the work.

Mangling the movies can't fix the horrible dialogue, horrible acting and stupid plot.

MC1980:
Mangling the movies can't fix the horrible dialogue, horrible acting and stupid plot.

I was about to say, it might flow better, but those two were so horribly stiff and wonky... like a couple of teens trying to recite Shakespeare on stage. Trying but still sounding like they don't know what they're saying half the time.
Which given the writing... is at least partially understanding.

I'd actually recommend Darths & Droids over this, which re-imagines the saga as a tabletop RPG.

I just watched it. I have never seen the first 3 episodes.

Some scenes are still really bad acted. Holy shit.

Apart from that, nice story, mostly consistent (I only wondered why Anakin had a Robot Arm after some time without context).

I don't understand the point of this. It's not like the prequels were bad or anything.

Campy as all hell? Yes. So were the OG.

karkashan:
I don't understand the point of this. It's not like the prequels were bad or anything.

Campy as all hell? Yes. So were the OG.

The point is that the prequels are generally seen as bad. While I don't hate all of them, most of the phantom menace, and all of the creepy Anakin stuff really did need to go. And Jar-Jar.
(Also, yes, the originals are SO cheesy.)

You know what's amusing.

When people do fan edits of Mass Effect, the fans are considered entitled pricks stomping on the creative integrity of Bioware.
Meanwhile, people are still doing fan edits of Star Wars a decade and a half later and they are considered heroes fighting against that cruel tyrant George Lucas.

I wonder if it's a generational thing.

PirateRose:
You know what's amusing.

When people do fan edits of Mass Effect, the fans are considered entitled pricks stomping on the creative integrity of Bioware.
Meanwhile, people are still doing fan edits of Star Wars a decade and a half later and they are considered heroes fighting against that cruel tyrant George Lucas.

I wonder if it's a generational thing.

It might have something to do with how untamed the internet was back in those days. How people didn't think anything of it when they downloaded songs from Napster and download roms and movies. Compare that to today, with all the legal ways to view things, and you have a different view on copywright and artistic ownership.

But that's just a wild stab in the dark.

Someone on reddit posted a new prequel edit a few days ago, called The Blackened Mantle. They rewrote the entire script/story by putting new subtitles over the Japanese version of the movies. The (re-) editing and (re-) writing is ridiculously professional.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDLM-dXP-KE

(Yes, I joined just to tell you this. Hi. And no, I didn't create it.)

JCAll:
Cutting Ray Park, Christopher Lee, and the less hateable child Anakin isn't going to do it.

Less hateable? Please. For all the bitching HC gets, that freakin' kid ruined the movie for me. Christensen may not have shot to stardom, but Phantom Menace effectively aborted Lloyd's acting career.

At any rate, I watched the edit and it's far from perfect, but it achieved what it set out to do - the romance is more believable and Anakin doesn't come across as such a whiny douchebag. He's still a bit cocky and impatient, but overall he's much more likeable and his fall is much more tragic.

As someone who actually liked the prequels excepting a few cringeworthy scenes, director's cut-style edits would be so much better. Snip midichlorians, focus less on that insufferable "romance," and you've pretty much already made the prequels on par with the OT, not perfect gems of cinema themselves by far. I know the feeling of betrayal tinges our perceptions to this day, but as someone who grew up right around when TPM hit, but also watched the OT religiously with my family, I liked or disliked the series and its components entirely without nostalgia goggles. What I got from it was an awesome space fantasy and a bridge into the EU, which I loved despite its glaring flaws. Even more, if we treat the vast majority of the prequels' content as non-canon, we horribly diminish the (in my opinion) wonderful Clone Wars and Rebels series.

Of course, this is just my own impression and I don't want to make people see things my way. You know, just in case what always happens when I talk about the prequels happens now. They're just movies, I'm just an opinionated commenter, and have a peaceful and relaxing day.

ExileNZ:
Less hateable? Please. For all the bitching HC gets, that freakin' kid ruined the movie for me. Christensen may not have shot to stardom, but Phantom Menace effectively aborted Lloyd's acting career.

...how? He barely did anything but sit in a cockpit or hang out in the background. He barely had lines. Anakin was more of a prop in the Phantom Menace than a character. And considering how his character turned in the sequels, I consider that a positive.

m00se:

This fan edit of the Star Wars prequels somehow manages to make the trilogy palatable.

Read Full Article

Everything that prequels 456 isn't actually that bad if you take into account the entire expanded universe (Especially clone wars).

It just doesn't fit the original movies and that's logical because of the timegap.

Heck look at Star Wars : Rebels, it shows the reverse, where Clone Wars was critically aclaimed Rebels is not so much panned as rather driven into a dark corner.

I personally regard Clone Wars as the superior series anyway.

My point being here that you can see that the two just don't mesh that well.

Lucas just screwed everything up with the way he did the movies and that's even after he had to face serious editting back in the day on his scripts.

the silence:
I just watched it. I have never seen the first 3 episodes.

Some scenes are still really bad acted. Holy shit.

Apart from that, nice story, mostly consistent (I only wondered why Anakin had a Robot Arm after some time without context).

As if the original trilogy was such a stellar piece of acting all-round.... people are just blinded by nostalgia.

I've tried watching this, but no amount of editing is going to improve the dialogue or make Hayden Christensen tolerable on screen.

I didn't hate the prequel trilogy or even consider them bad. I know why a lot of people do, but I myself don't because I watched them in Russian dub in which Anakin was voiced by an actual man. And a good actor.

Cutting off the Obi-Wan parts of Ep 2 and 3? Those were the best ones.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here