Tomorrowland - Problematic and Preachy Sci-fi Adventure

Brad Bird's newest movie, Tomorrowland, winds up more of a lecture than anything else. It's still moderately entertaining.

Read Full Article

I knew about the third act lecture going in (I more then one reviewer after all) so I knew it was coming and it didn't bother me as much as it would have. I enjoyed it, and I would watch a sequel if it was made, I'd like to see a full movie set in Tommorowland that explores different ideas and the world they've set up. I mean it's a futuristic city in a pocket dimension where the best and brightest among us gather to make new and interesting things, it would be easy to turn such an IP into a series of movies each exploring new and different science fiction ideas that define the genre.

I like this review if only because I tire of hearing about games and entertainment media bending backwards to push an overt liberal agenda. This review obviously doesn't fit that mold; thanks.

Marter:

Brad Bird's newest movie, Tomorrowland, winds up more of a lecture than anything else. It's still moderately entertaining.

Read Full Article

Wait, is the Chosen One character in this film actually called "The Special?" Because that's the term the Lego movie used when it was making a deconstructive parody of the Chosen One narrative.

Knight Captain Kerr:

Marter:

Read Full Article

Wait, is the Chosen One character in this film actually called "The Special?" Because that's the term the Lego movie used when it was making a deconstructive parody of the Chosen One narrative.

Yes she is, ah the LEGO movie destroying everything that comes after when they try to use it's tropes.

Makes me think of The Last Mimzy. So much potential in that film, wasted on a generic, overbearing and tired message.

Knight Captain Kerr:

They directly say "you're special" as to the reason why she's been chosen, but never actually say she's "The Special." I just like calling people "The Special" because it's funny.

Well, that's a kick in the pants. The movie Tomorrowland isn't mostly set in the place called Tomorrowland! As Otto the bus driver said when he left Stoner's Pot Palace, "Man, that is flagrant false advertising!"
Also, I would be remised if I didn't quote the Fallout:New Vegas episode of Unskippable: "A future society ruled by Hugh Laurie? I want to go to there!"

I really, really hate how "problematic" gets throws around too goddamned much these days. It's always used to denote something making the person saying it mildly uncomfortable, and they express it as though whatever the hell that was is self-evident and universal. Y'know, like all those people who say everything is "shit", but with "problematic" they're trying really hard to sound like they're smart.

JMac85:
I really, really hate how "problematic" gets throws around too goddamned much these days. It's always used to denote something making the person saying it mildly uncomfortable, and they express it as though whatever the hell that was is self-evident and universal. Y'know, like all those people who say everything is "shit", but with "problematic" they're trying really hard to sound like they're smart.

Agreed. If there's one word I'd be glad to never hear again it's "problematic". These days, everything in media is "problematic" in the same way everything used to be "sinful".

Puts me in mind of 'Life of Pi'... something that seems big and complex, but amounts to a bit of a wank.

"I felt like I'd been invited to a seven-course dinner, and all seven turned out to be cake - and then the host insisted on delivering a lecture about how cake would bring me closer to God." (Baltimore Sun review of 'Life of Pi')

JMac85:

Problematic has become a marxist weasel word, devoid of meaning.

It's endemic in identity politics propaganda. Indeed it's become a red flag that what you're reading is political propaganda.

Marter:
They directly say "you're special" as to the reason why she's been chosen, but never actually say she's "The Special." I just like calling people "The Special" because it's funny.

Do they also say she was "born to do great things"? Because

Tomorrowland, a futuristic city located in a different dimension that the world's best and brightest created centuries earlier

So the premise of this movie is "Rapture will save the world". Geezus. I've joked before about Walt Disney's vision for EPCOT being essentially Rapture, but at least EPCOT was still meant to be easily accessible and open to the general public.

Marter:

Knight Captain Kerr:

I was going to say...

Anyway, while the visuals are pretty great, it can't save it from this mess of a script which is a shame because I quite like Brad Bird. Troubled pre-production I'm guessing.

What's more difficult to digest is an awkward romance between George Clooney's character and the one played by 12-year-old Raffey Cassidy

Do you know how many articles I've seen about romantic age gaps in Hollywood with George Clooney's name dropped several times? I'm even remembering Tina Fey's joke about him preferring to float off into space and die than spend any more time with a woman his own age.

At some point George Clooney needs to look around and take a stand. It's just funny at this point.

The comment about Casey Newton being declared "The Special" is especially funny, because there's nothing that she does to justify this when she's given the pin. It's not much of a spoiler, since it's in the first act and is one of the things that gets the plot rolling, but I'll put it behind tags anyway:

So Athena gives Casey a pin for engaging in expensive, pointless symbolism that does nothing but make her feel good about herself. The plot gets preachier from there.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here