Honest Game Trailers: Grand Theft Auto Online

Grand Theft Auto Online

Two years ago, Rockstar Games released Grand Theft Auto 5. One year later, they took it online, and it sucked. Now, one year after that, you can almost reliably play Grand Theft Auto Online.

Watch Video

That's why when I play GTA:O I either play in friends only or solo mode.

Two years ago, Rockstar Games released Grand Theft Auto 5. One year Two weeks later, they took it online, and it sucked.

FTFY

Team Hollywood:
Grand Theft Auto Online

Two years ago, Rockstar Games released Grand Theft Auto 5. One year later, they took it online, and it sucked. Now, one year after that, you can almost reliably play Grand Theft Auto Online.

Watch Video

I finally tried GTA:online a few weeks ago. It has promise but the loading times for missions were too much for me.

Bat Vader:

The problem there is it compulsively decides you didn't want to use that friends-only session you had to setup (in the single player menu, of all places), and shoots you (and your friends) randomly back into scattershot lobbies. Despite the frequent and helpful loading screen tip about placing you in lobbies with crewmates/friends. Then you have to logoff into singleplayer, start that whole process again, and pray to whatever gods that it will actually let everyone join and stay together for more then a mission.

I mean, when it works, its good fun, but good god is the matchmaking/lobby/party/whatever you want to call it, a horrible mess.

This is the reason why I don't get GTA Online. Why do people like it? The heists missions may be interesting, but there are only 4 of them. Everything else is either a boring horde mode, simple teamshooter etc. or it's a race where nobody drives fair. Also, the loading times are horrible. How about allowing dedicated servers?

I really hope that Rockstar doesn't take the popularity of GTA Online as a reason to focus more on that stuff in the future.

Bat Vader:

Agreed. For a game that billed itself about forging a criminal gang with your friends and pulling off crime sprees with your friends I'm constantly amazed at the number of people who base their opinion of GTA:O on their experiences in random lobbies. 'Closed Crew' or 'Closed Friend' lobbies are the way forward.

It might be fun with friends, but playing it with random people sucks 70% of the time. Last time i logged in i got killed repeatedly by a guy in a modded car that took 6 rpgs like it was nothing and then somebody brought a jet and killed him, then he killed me. Went to solo mode, tried a few missions available for newbies, the lobbies were empty. Tried racing, from 5 people in the lobby only one actually ended up racing against me after they talked about something in some foreign language. I hate online games!

leberkaese:
This is the reason why I don't get GTA Online. Why do people like it? The heists missions may be interesting, but there are only 4 of them. Everything else is either a boring horde mode, simple teamshooter etc. or it's a race where nobody drives fair. Also, the loading times are horrible. How about allowing dedicated servers?

I really hope that Rockstar doesn't take the popularity of GTA Online as a reason to focus more on that stuff in the future.

GTA Online is only fun with friends - unless you're a dick who just likes ruining other people's fun with sticky bombs. I used to play it a lot with friends (because then at least you have a chance against the aforementioned dicks), but they've stopped playing it in recent months. Playing it solo is just a grind in so many ways.

This should be a rule for all future online modes: If the game is only going to fun playing with friends, you have to have split-screen. If you can't do same room split screen multiplayer, then you have to design it so that it can be played alone against randos. Not everyone has friends who all own the same console as you, and all own GTAV.

El Camino of Rampage:
This should be a rule for all future online modes: If the game is only going to fun playing with friends, you have to have split-screen. If you can't do same room split screen multiplayer, then you have to design it so that it can be played alone against randos. Not everyone has friends who all own the same console as you, and all own GTAV.

Solution: play with randoms. Every time you see someone decent (good person, good player, preferably has a microphone), friend them.

That's what I did with Evolve... now I've got a bunch of people on Steam I can call on for some games and it even translated over to GTA Online, couple of Scots took me on a very confusing tour of my first couple Heists last night :P

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here