The Witcher 3: Freedom

Pages 1 2 NEXT

The Witcher 3: Freedom

Pack it up, pack it in
Let me begin
I came to win
Battle me that's a sin

Read Full Article

Yeah, someone please tell me what this is about.

Never much cared for Yennefer, even in the books. Always found Triss more interesting, and in the canon of the games she is the central love interest, so that black haired harpy can go take a walk through a magical portal to Fuckoffistan as far as I'm concerned. I'm just hoping the game will let me drop her bitchy arse at some point...

It isn't issue of Witcher3 though
In Skyrim I made an effort to participate in important dialogues while standing on something.
There is nothing more heroic than accepting reward from Jarl while standing on table he is currently dining on.

Or was the joke that player can ditch Yennefer?

Bob_McMillan:

Unlike the previous games, the third entry gives you sufficient freedom of movement to do things like jump off balconies. (And then die because the fall damage is absurdly punishing.)

Jandau:
Never much cared for Yennefer, even in the books. Always found Triss more interesting, and in the canon of the games she is the central love interest, so that black haired harpy can go take a walk through a magical portal to Fuckoffistan as far as I'm concerned. I'm just hoping the game will let me drop her bitchy arse at some point...

Except Triss's voice sounds like it just staggered drunkenly out of a college dorm.

I keep waiting for her to say, "Like, omigawd, totally not cool!"

Jandau:

Well, the only reason Geralt was with Yennefer was because of a genie if I remember right.

Triss, at least, that relationship grew organically.... Mostly by taking advantage of Geralt's amnesia to move in.

At first I thought he was throwing her off the balcony.

Yeah, joke gets lost on me because I can't really figure out what's on the last panel.

esserin:

Jandau:

Well, the only reason Geralt was with Yennefer was because of a genie if I remember right.

Triss, at least, that relationship grew organically.... Mostly by taking advantage of Geralt's amnesia to move in.

To be fair, Triss was moving in long before that. She had an affair with Geralt during one of his fights with Yennefer and has had a crush on him for a long time. Also, amnesia or no amnesia, Geralt generally didn't seem to mind having this hot redhead orbiting around him. By the time Witcher 2 rolled around, he was pretty much up to speed and happily "dating" Triss. Granted, it was because he thought Yen was dead, but the point is that Triss isn't taking advantage of Geralt. And yes, their relationship did grow more organically. And overall, I just found Triss to be a more relatable and likeable character in general, so I'd rather ship Geralt with her.

Jandau:

But...but...but...unicorn sex!

That said, I am much more partial to redheads, myself. :3

blackrave:
In Skyrim I made an effort to participate in important dialogues while standing on something.
There is nothing more heroic than accepting reward from Jarl while standing on table he is currently dining on.

The Joke is that the search for Yennefer is the big narrative drive but players are more excited because they can finally jump over fences!

You missed the 4th part where that small drop kills Geralt due to the insane fall damage.

And I like Yennefer. I can understand why many people like Triss more but I don't.

That last panel's a bit dark, but I think I got the gist of it. Hopefully. If I didn't then aaah fuggit, I'll just appreciate the art.

Drinking after the breakup alone worth it, although I guess you can go all in even if you didn't do it, with just a few lines changed.

Drunktard quests got better and better in each game, that's no small feat after sailing to paradise in TW2.

Barbas:
That last panel's a bit dark, but I think I got the gist of it. Hopefully. If I didn't then aaah fuggit, I'll just appreciate the art.

It's how the controls are wonky I think. On the PS4 and Xbone, the controls for interaction are bound to the same one for sprinting and jumping, so when the game would prompt Geralt to kiss, he'd instead extinguish a candle or jump off a cliff.

Or Roach will appear and fuck things up.

Jandau:
Never much cared for Yennefer, even in the books...so that black haired harpy can go take a walk through a magical portal to Fuckoffistan as far as I'm concerned.

So I thought that was the joke, like Gerald is supposed to be interested in Yennifer, but why the hell would the players be interested. That line about waiting 2 games is why I think that.

Zhukov:

Bob_McMillan:

Unlike the previous games, the third entry gives you sufficient freedom of movement to do things like jump off balconies. (And then die because the fall damage is absurdly punishing.)

Okay, well that explains things. Still have The Witcher games on a wishlist so this went over my head.

Pack it up, pack it in
Let me begin
I came to win
Battle me that's a sin

I won't ever slack up,
Punk you better act up
Try and play the role
and yo the whole crew will act up

Jandau:

esserin:

Jandau:

To be fair, Triss was moving in long before that. She had an affair with Geralt during one of his fights with Yennefer and has had a crush on him for a long time. Also, amnesia or no amnesia, Geralt generally didn't seem to mind having this hot redhead orbiting around him. By the time Witcher 2 rolled around, he was pretty much up to speed and happily "dating" Triss. Granted, it was because he thought Yen was dead, but the point is that Triss isn't taking advantage of Geralt. And yes, their relationship did grow more organically. And overall, I just found Triss to be a more relatable and likeable character in general, so I'd rather ship Geralt with her.

Honestly, I do not think we are supposed to like Yennefer. In the books when character's are trying to remember her name they often say Guinevere. (Please don't tell me I need to explain this allusion). The whole series is incredibly cynical and likes to subvert classic tropes in many places. Geralt as knight in shining armor and Yen as his maiden is one of them. Their relationship is incredibly abusive and manipulative on Yen's part and Geralt comes across as a whipped puppy. Again, I think this is a deliberate subversion.

I read something about absurd fall damage. Is it a suicide attempt?
Not funny if someone has to explain it, that's a comedy law you violated here :P

Waiting for this to have a few weeks of bugfixing under it's belt!

I don't know much about Witcher 3, but this strip still gave a me a hardy laugh!

SanguineAngel:

blackrave:

The Joke is that the search for Yennefer is the big narrative drive but players are more excited because they can finally jump over fences!

*laughs harder* I guess the joke had so many fences to jump over before it could makes any sense, then...

The biggest narrative drawback to the games is that you've spent two games with Triss in your corner. While Geralt had amnesia in the first game, and was actively looking for Yennifer in the second, we had no time to create feelings towards her. The disconnect, for me, comes in where I don't feel was Geralt feels. I like Triss.

That and red hair > all

shadowmagus:
The biggest narrative drawback to the games is that you've spent two games with Triss in your corner. While Geralt had amnesia in the first game, and was actively looking for Yennifer in the second, we had no time to create feelings towards her. The disconnect, for me, comes in where I don't feel was Geralt feels. I like Triss.

That and red hair > all

We had 7 books with Yennefer. Triss was a big character in 2 only.
So she has a lead.

Violet eyes> all

:P

Charcharo:

shadowmagus:

That and red hair > all

So she has a lead.

Violet eyes> all

Most gamers haven't read the books and have only played the games, but as someone who did read some of the books they don't exactly make Yennefer likable at all. She's kind of a bitch.

shadowmagus:

That and red hair > all

First game I had Shani. Was quite the disconnect for Game 2.

Also, I slept with Yen on the unicorn, but I now regret it. I hope I can ditch her later. I already confessed Triss my love.
I even ditched the Skellige warrior woman.

So i'm guessing either two things...

1) Player attempts to kiss her, but instead the prompt makes him jump off the balcony & die.
2) He purposely avoided kissing her because screw that, i'd choose to die instead.

Last panel wasn't fully clear lol.

ekrolo2:

Charcharo:

shadowmagus:

That and red hair > all

So she has a lead.

Violet eyes> all

Most gamers haven't read the books and have only played the games, but as someone who did read some of the books they don't exactly make Yennefer likable at all. She's kind of a bitch.

I am not most gamers. And most gamers dont concern me.

I am telling it as is.

I actually took that both Geralt and Yen are idiots to each other. Which I liked.
" It was the politics, the lodge, all of that drove them apart, but only to an extent. Yen was the one who tried to revive Geralt after he was killed. Geralt and Yen were perfect for each other. Both loners, lack earthly attachments, and together they escaped it all. Triss still desires the rich life. The balls and stuff. Things that Geralt actually doesn't like."

Decent explanation

Shani ftw.

I was moved when she sent Geralt the letter about how he'd be a great dad to their demon-possessed step-child.

the silence:
Yeah, joke gets lost on me because I can't really figure out what's on the last panel.

I'm guessing you can finally jump off balconies.

Zhukov:
Except Triss's voice sounds like it just staggered drunkenly out of a college dorm.

Yeah, I know, but still... redheads man.

And speaking of voice acting... Anyone know who did the voice for Keira Metz? Because she sounds extremely familiar.

Sigmund Av Volsung:

What are you talking about, Roach is the boss. What other game horse would just randomly stick its head inbetween two characters during a cutscene conversation? That horse has zero fucks to give about drama -- you gotta respect that.

Caramel Frappe:
So i'm guessing either two things...

1) Player attempts to kiss her, but instead the prompt makes him jump off the balcony & die.
2) He purposely avoided kissing her because screw that, i'd choose to die instead.

Last panel wasn't fully clear lol.

That's how it goes sometimes in this strip. They make jokes that only the players of the game they're covering will get.
That said, showing Geralt instantly die from a 1 story drop would have been a better punchline.

the silence:

Ditto

Casual Shinji:
What are you talking about, Roach is the boss. What other game horse would just randomly stick its head inbetween two characters during a cutscene conversation? That horse has zero fucks to give about drama -- you gotta respect that.

You name a horse "Roach", don't expect a lot of respect. 'S all I'm sayin'.

Jandau:

That's exactly the way I felt about it, all I wanted to do was shack up with Triss, then I told her I didn't know how Yen was and for some reason the game interpreted that as Geralt being caught up in her mystique (rather than her NOT TELLING ME A GOD DAMN THING) and Triss thought things were over now Yen is back.

Casual Shinji:
What other game horse would just randomly stick its head inbetween two characters during a cutscene conversation? That horse has zero fucks to give about drama -- you gotta respect that.

My best cutscene photobomb so far was a toll bridge where two people were stopping me and only one was involved in the conversation. During the tense negotiations approximately ten Drowners casually walked between Geralt and the other guy, utterly murderised the bystander and then ran away as fast as they could as soon as the conversation ended.

I'm not even mad, it was great.

ForumSafari:

That's exactly the way I felt about it, all I wanted to do was shack up with Triss, then I told her I didn't know how Yen was and for some reason the game interpreted that as Geralt being caught up in her mystique (rather than her NOT TELLING ME A GOD DAMN THING) and Triss thought things were over now Yen is back.

Hmmm? You don't lock into one relationship as easy as that. Geralt and Triss broke of before, after Witcher 2 and before Witcher 3, because Geralt got all his memory back at the end of Witcher 2 and remembered Yennefer basically. So that's not because of that one dialogue answer. You can still get back together with her.
Just one tipp: Don't try to date both Yennefer and Triss both.

Casual Shinji:

Zhukov:

Yeah, I know, but still... redheads man.

And speaking of voice acting... Anyone know who did the voice for Keira Metz? Because she sounds extremely familiar.

Sigmund Av Volsung:

I'll respect him when he stops cockblocking Geralt from mai waifus.

Don't need to see a horse's arse when I'm chatting up Triss goddammit.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here