Man At Arms: Reforged: Aragorn's Sword - Narsil (Lord of the Rings)

Aragorn's Sword - Narsil (Lord of the Rings)

Every other Monday, our team of blacksmiths and craftsman will build some of your favorite weapons, and some weapons that you've never seen before. This week, we're building Aragorn's sword Narsil, which was used to forge Andúril, from The Lord of the Rings Trilogy!

Watch Video

Hell's horses, this is fascinating stuff. Amazing to see them get those results using such time-consuming and outdated methods. Twice the achievement, really.

Man At Arms is here?

Wow that's something I didn't expect.

I have to say, I liked the way that they basically just said "Yep, that's NOT how you re-forge a broken sword... THIS is how you do it."

It's fascinating to see the process...

And even just the fact that there's still someone around who knows how to do that properly... XD

I always did like lord of the rings weapons.

I have a replica of glamdring. And it's awesome, even if it is almost certainly a cheap chinese knockoff, and only useful as a display item.

Then again... I have it in storage in another country, and have managed to move the one place where it would be illegal for me to have it...

Still haven't quite figured out what to do about that... >_>

Politrukk:
Man At Arms is here?

Not quite, the video is still on their Youtube channel. It's just that Team Hollywood took it and replace Youtube with their video engine.

OT- Pretty cool althought know it was named Narsil which sounded lame for a legendary sword. Thank god that Aragon renamed it Andúril.

I was going to say they didn't quench that blade and it will brake but they were on a setup.

Only using old techniques and tools!
Then using a welding torch to heat the neck of the pommel... busted!

JK, good work.

Scarim Coral:

Politrukk:
Man At Arms is here?

Not quite, the video is still on their Youtube channel. It's just that Team Hollywood took it and replace Youtube with their video engine.

To be clear Man at Arms is a Defy Media show and The Escapist is a Defy Media website. We didn't "take" Man at Arms from YouTube; we are the same company.

We're assembling all of Defy's various geek-culture shows that are of interest to Escapist fans and making them available here on the website. That way you don't have to hunt through a bunch of different YT channels to find all of the geek-related content we make.

Team Hollywood:
This week, we're building Aragorn's sword Narsil, which was used to forge Andúril, from The Lord of the Rings Trilogy!

Much like Peter Jackson's work, I have serious doubts whether you guys have ever read the Lord of the Rings.

Narsil is NOT Aragorn's sword, it was last owned by Elendil. In the battle with Sauron, Narsil broke and Elendil died and his son, Isildur, took up the hilt-shard and cut off Sauron's ring finger. Isildur took the shards from the battlefield and it was passed down through his lineage, until Aragorn had the sword reforged by the smiths of Rivendell into Anduril.

Anduril is Aragorn's sword, NOT Narsil.

Archon:

Scarim Coral:

Politrukk:
Man At Arms is here?

To be clear Man at Arms is a Defy Media show and The Escapist is a Defy Media website. We didn't "take" Man at Arms from YouTube; we are the same company.

We're assembling all of Defy's various geek-culture shows that are of interest to Escapist fans and making them available here on the website. That way you don't have to hunt through a bunch of different YT channels to find all of the geek-related content we make.

Oh right, I didn't know they were part of Defy Meida. Thanks for clearing it up since I was confused when you first uploading their video on here.

Interesting personal information. I worked my way through college as a professional blacksmith. I made knives, swords, and various tools. I would have made more tools if the knives and swords didn't sell for multiple times more than anything else we could make in the same time.

I've got to say, while the power hammer definitely makes the job easier (we actually had a powerhammer from 1908 in our shop), I do not envy their file work. To do it twice sounds terrible. If they used a powerhammer then I'm not sure why they didn't use a grinding wheel instead of hand filing everything.

It was nice to see them using traditional striking techniques too. Honestly, the few times we used striking were my favorite times. Just something fun about a team effort in forging out a billet.

It was extremely interesting to them reforge a broken blade. While I never had to reforge a broken blade (easier to start from scratch), I did take part in a few smeltings where the metal had to be folded over itself time and time again to make it one solid piece. But I wasn't aware of the technique to take pieces of a blade to form the billet to refold. I guess if you were a Japanese blacksmith with limited access to iron that you'd have to create these kinds of methods with broken blades.

Man, I suddenly miss blacksmithing. Now that I've got the property to do it on I should set my shop back up for old time's sake.

That was wonderful.

An informative display of artisanry presented with a good sense of fun.

It's now one of my must see shows on this site.

madwarper:

Team Hollywood:
This week, we're building Aragorn's sword Narsil, which was used to forge Andúril, from The Lord of the Rings Trilogy!

Much like Peter Jackson's work, I have serious doubts whether you guys have ever read the Lord of the Rings.

Narsil is NOT Aragorn's sword, it was last owned by Elendil. In the battle with Sauron, Narsil broke and Elendil died and his son, Isildur, took up the hilt-shard and cut off Sauron's ring finger. Isildur took the shards from the battlefield and it was passed down through his lineage, until Aragorn had the sword reforged by the smiths of Rivendell into Anduril.

Unless you want to get technical about the Shards of Narsil not being Narsil, Narsil is still Aragon's both by right of lineage and the fact that he's literally carrying it around in the book before it's reforged. Sure it's broken, but it's still Narsil and he's still the owner of it.

Slycne:
Unless you want to get technical about the Shards of Narsil not being Narsil,

The Shards of Narsil are Narsil. They're not a Sword, and thus not "Aragorn's Sword".

Now that's a fucking awesome sword...

Although I am not envying the one who had to do the filing work; guess that's one way that they occupied the apprentices of old.

madwarper:

Team Hollywood:

... You didn't actually watch the video, did you?

madwarper:

Slycne:
Unless you want to get technical about the Shards of Narsil not being Narsil,

The Shards of Narsil are Narsil. They're not a Sword, and thus not "Aragorn's Sword".

Watch the goddamn video before you start that shit.

Denamic:

What's in the video is irrelevant.

Read the goddamn thread title and opening post before you start your shit.
It was wrong 6 months ago, and it's still wrong today.

madwarper:

Denamic:

What's in the video is irrelevant.

Read the goddamn thread title and opening post before you start your shit.
It was wrong 6 months ago, and it's still wrong today.

Oh my god, just watch it.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here