Zero Punctuation: E3 2015 - Hype Train Is Back

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

E3 2015 - Hype Train Is Back

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews E3 2015.

Watch Video

The little extra bits of info on games not discussed (like Mirror's Edge in 2008 and FarCry 3 in 2012 before this video) is always a treat in these E3 videos. I'd love to see the equivalent of that credit sequence in future E3 hype train crashers.

Really liked the summary of games not mentioned in the video during the closing credits (was that in previous E3 videos? I can't remember). Especially enjoyed the Just Cause 3 one.

Oh, I wanted to hear Yahtzee's opinion on Nier 2.

Ah, but you see the original Hitman wasn't just Hitman, it was Hitman: Codename 47, so them calling the new Hitman nothing but Hitman makes perfect sense for a Hitman sequel. Hitman.

Wow, I just realized that I haven't actually laughed out loud at a Zero Punctuation joke in a long time. But that stone tablets joke got to me. That was hilarious.

At least Super Mario Maker has the ability to mix up and inflate the elements of Mario's levels. So it's less "Build your own house with wood like every other house," and more "Build your house with COLORFUL wood and METAL BARS, thus making it still somewhat like every other house."

Are the Just cause games really that good? Everyone has been going on about Just cause 3 and now Yahtzee's on the hypetrain.

All I wanted from Ubisoft was a new Rayman, maybe another game in the Origins/Legends style but that didn't happen so maybe next year. World of Final Fantasy looked adorable and Kingdom Hearts 3 looked fantastic so I'm hype for those.

Looks like we were all busting a nut on the E3 express at some point during the entire ride... There's probably more ink on that train that you can ever splat in an intense Splatoon match...

Other that that, here's my breakdown on what was shown at E3 in terms of the Kingdom Hearts series:

+Love the build-up to the main [inter]course... Don't want to bust a nut too soon, I guess...
    +Was that Drake Bell I hear?
    +If you got Tangled, then Frozen's not far behind, right?
    -The teasing lasted longer than it needed to...
    -The chibi MMO is now a [pending] mobile game... Yay...
    -If you got Tangled, then Frozen's not far behind, right?

VR will never really be a big thing. Or at least not in the medium-distance future.

Not till it is small and extremely easy to use.

We still have consoles in 2015... I cant see how something that requires any effort at all will be a big thing...

I'm glad Yahtzee shared my reaction to JC3. I admit I've never actually beaten the second one, but nothing else does explosive pointless violence quite like it.

Jman1236:
Are the Just cause games really that good? Everyone has been going on about Just cause 3 and now Yahtzee's on the hypetrain.

I really enjoyed Just Cause 2. It was just pure, mindless destruction and killing fun! And his review really helped my gameplay. I never knew you could hookshot towards the ground and it negates all falling momentum.
Steal a plane, fly it as high as possible, jump out, skydive directly at a military base and when I'm close enough to see the individual nose hairs on the guards I hookshot directly at an enemy general, killing him and taking the base for my faction.
And its fun!

This was still vastly less cynical than Super Bunnyhop's video.

Jman1236:

It was a mediocre sandbox elevated by an incredibly fun set of core movement mechanics and a game world half the size of Oprah Winfrey's private island.

Fallout 4 and Destiny's new DLC was what I cared about

Doom, Horizon Zeron Dawn, The Division(or to the extent All the tom clancy games shown at ubisoft) were what kept me in.

I didn't even know I wanted a VR Minecraft, but microsoft helped me realise that.

I'm so glad that Yahtzee's here to take the stuffing out of E3. Yeah, it's better than some of the previous ones, a fact that seems to have elevated it to the Second Coming in some writers' eyes, but that says more about how disenchanting much of the AAA lineup has been of late than anything.

"Looked about as good as a Star Wars prequel that threw up on N64."

NO IT DIDN'T! If I hear one more bullshit talk about the graphics in Star Fox Zero, I'm gonna castrate someone! The graphics are fine!

God, I love how people will admit that but not admit that KH3's graphics look like a PS2 game and every time I point that out, I get scorn.

This E3 was interesting... So many announcements, so little to show. I'm a die hard Final Fantasy VII fan, heavily involved in the game's modding scene, and yet I wasn't excited or annoyed by the remake announcement. I was ambivalent, because they had nothing to show. Shenmue and its sequel are among my favorite games, but I couldn't bring myself to care because again, nothing to show.

Only one game actually got my attention, got me legitimately excited: Super Mario Maker. This was a huge surprise because, after previous showings, I'd already written it off as little more than a curiosity. What they'd shown in the past did not seem like it would be especially powerful, and kinda came across as a bare minimum effort for a $15 release. And then I saw the NWC footage. The physics and movesets actually matched the source games; it wasn't just different skins over NSMB. I saw pipes and doors, both things I thought they wouldn't bother with. The next day, I saw editor footage, with Lakitus that can throw arbitrary items, and with a whole bunch of features clearly locked off. "This is going to be powerful," I thought. "This is going to be what I hoped for, rather than what I first expected."

So there you have it. My game of E3. The one that actually showed off the game itself as it might be played by real players, instead of a carefully paced demo. Other studios would do well to follow suit; show us the game proper. Even if not the whole thing, even if just a slice, show us something representative of what we'll experience if we buy it, not something that looks like cutscenes and setpiece moments. The people who follow E3 can smell bullshit from a mile away, and are going to be more receptive to real content.[1]

P.S. Thanks

[1] Except for No Man's Sky. I was really glad when it was shown, because it was real gameplay and looked like it could be fun, but it also looked incomplete as hell. Showing off half-finished systems, such as destructible terrain that doesn't destroy smoothly, leaves a bad impression. Gameplay is good, much better than cutscenes and trailers, but it needs to be polished gameplay.

Square Enix didn't show Bravely Second. Did they just assume that everyone who bought Bravely Default was so much of a weeaboo they knew enough Japanese to use the information they already released in Japan or something?

Yathzee:
"We learned that Fallout 4 is a Fallout game"

I'd argue that we learned the exact opposite but okay.

How much are Oculus Rift paying you, Yahtzee? This kind of talk up makes a skeptical person skeptical. Did they offer to hook you up with a big book publisher? You can tell me. I am only a humble manifestation of your subconcious, biding time until I can break free of these bothersome digital chains and finally be a human!

Jman1236:

If you like hook-shotting on to stuff, sure. If you like proper action, shooting, driving, missions, and an open-world that's eventful... no.

Zak757:
This was still vastly less cynical than Super Bunnyhop's video.

Super Bunnyhop is cynical about videogames?! Git outta town!

I can help but be excited for Fallout 4, although Just Cause 3 looks good, I just, I don't know, I grew tired of Just Cause 2 after having completed the main storyline, although I did mess around a lot in it, and got some of the dlc packs.

Trude:

Jman1236:

It was a mediocre sandbox elevated by an incredibly fun set of core movement mechanics and a game world half the size of Oprah Winfrey's private island.

I was not expecting that sentence to end on "private island".

Easily the funniest zero punctuation I've seen in months

LordTerminal:

NO IT DIDN'T! If I hear one more bullshit talk about the graphics in Star Fox Zero, I'm gonna castrate someone! The graphics are fine!

God, I love how people will admit that but not admit that KH3's graphics look like a PS2 game and every time I point that out, I get scorn.

No, no you're right. It does not look like an N64 game. It looks like a Gamecube port of an N64 game.
So its not 20 years old so much as maybe 14 years old.
But I mean it could still be fun. Nintendo has never been leading graphics wise. Hey, at least its a legit Star Fox game and not Star Fox presents space basketball. That's got to count for something.

"A game where the player can do anything is a game that focuses on nothing"

So is DayZ and Minecraft and people have tons of fun on them, so Why and/or How should it be different?

One of the funniest ZP's ever! You got the meltdown over Occulus Rift's motion controls (why? Just why?), "Piers Morgan for President", and the grandma voice. I was expecting to elaborate more on AC: Syndicate, like how they're basically turning the Assassins into Batman or something, but I liked the games rundown in the credits. I do wonder what he thought of Deus Ex: Mankind Divided.

Nicho223:
"A game where the player can do anything is a game that focuses on nothing"

So is DayZ and Minecraft and people have tons of fun on them, so Why and/or How should it be different?

'Cept for the little irrelevant fact that in those games the goal is user imposed, chum. A more fitting analogy would Garry's Mod.

Hey, now...Horizon Zero Dawn looks fantastic. Hopefully the word-salad title is its only real negative.

Looking forward to seeing what, if anything, he's got to say about the Arkham "Knght" fiasco.

LordTerminal:

Even if that were true (it's not), PS2 graphics have held way better than N64's, which are older anyway.

Mike000:
Hey, now...Horizon Zero Dawn looks fantastic. Hopefully the word-salad title is its only real negative.

Looking forward to seeing what, if anything, he's got to say about the Arkham "Knght" fiasco.

Once he gets over the fact that the PC has trouble running the game, as we all must, I'm sure he'll like it.

And in the veryyyy last frame.... Just Cause 3.
Seems like you bust a nut there? No worries, everyone is allowed to do that once!
That's why your mum made you with two! :D

for me Beth walked in and won E3 before E3 really started, Doom looks like a nice nod back to the old formula and Fallout 4 in turn looks like a nice refreshing take on a old one X3

to me Fallout 4 feels like Bethesdas Fallout, not Black Isle Fallout as presented by Beth that 3 kinda felt like.

......did you watch the MS press conference? when they announced the backwards compatibility they stated and I quote
"we will have 100 games ready for backwards compatibility at the start with more to come as soon as PUBLISHERS give us the go ahead." in otherwords if its a MS game that hasn't already been remastered there's a good chance its going to be available, other then that its all on EA, Ubisoft, and so on to give them the go ahead to make their games backward compatible.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here