The Real Villain of Arkham Knight is the Batmobile

Pages 1 2 NEXT

The Real Villain of Arkham Knight is the Batmobile

The Batmobile in Batman: Arkham Knight is a mess. It's a bad feature trapped in a good game. It was a bad idea, badly implemented, and then over-hyped before release.

Read Full Article

Honestly, I think we should blame Christopher Nolan and The Dark Knight for this one. While the Batmobile in the movies wasn't a tank, it did have guns and certainly didn't mesh very well with how Batman was supposed to avoid causing collateral damage. Rocksteady just took the next logical step.

I think the Batmobile in the game is pretty bad-ass, but you're right in that it controls poorly and is overused in game mechanics. It was a great idea, but was poorly executed. It's far too complicated for as much use as it gets.

The Batmobile sections are fun....just as noted it doesn't feel like Batman.

Actually blame Burton for the guns and collateral damage he started the whole Batmobile has guns and blowing up ACE Chemicals thing. Not to mention in Returns he quite clearly blows a guy up...and smiles after doing it!

Nolan only brought us the bat tank concept to film(it existed comic wise before then) in trying to make thr vehicle more realistic.

It's a shame because Rock steady in every other aspect of the game show they really understand what it means to play as Batman. Sure the plot is predictable at times but it feels Batman y.

A Bat Bike probably would have been funnier and made more sense. Fast, mobile, able to fit in tight spaces. Giving it some way to get up to the roofs and fly off them could be fun and entertaining. Some light gadgets and light fire power for some basic combat and make enemy tanks rare and basically boss fights.

SlumlordThanatos:
Honestly, I think we should blame Christopher Nolan and The Dark Knight for this one. While the Batmobile in the movies wasn't a tank, it did have guns and certainly didn't mesh very well with how Batman was supposed to avoid causing collateral damage. Rocksteady just took the next logical step.

I think the Batmobile in the game is pretty bad-ass, but you're right in that it controls poorly and is overused in game mechanics. It was a great idea, but was poorly executed. It's far too complicated for as much use as it gets.

Batman 1989 the second Batman thing I ever encountered after the old Adam West show and I'm sure it's the same for a lot of people.

Also, how many tanks do there have to be rampaging through the city before the army comes out and deals with it? The US accounts for half the worlds military spending. Where are they?

Bad Jim:
Also, how many tanks do there have to be rampaging through the city before the army comes out and deals with it? The US accounts for half the worlds military spending. Where are they?

Yeah, that is another thing that makes it feel out of place. Sure, in reality, the FBI or whatever would probably be investigating a serial killer like the joker, but it doesn't push past suspension of disbelief for it to fall under the jurisdiction of the police and a masked vigilante, so far, so batman. But this number of tanks genuinely feels more like an invasion force, than well organised criminals. A foreign army is occupying American Soil, this isn't down to the police force and a well equipped private citizen, this is down to G.I.Joe.

I'm only a few hours into the game, and as much as I hate to say this: a lot of this I blame on fans. For some reason a lot of people have been clamoring for the Batmobile since "Asylum", and for the life of me I don't understand why. Batman can easily navigate through the city flying around, gliding, dive-bombing and using his grapnel gun, and it's FUN! I really don't understand why everyone was so infatuated with him having a car to drive.

I think Rocksteady was sort of in a tough situation here for this particular game. Not put the Batmobile in: people would bitch that they still don't get the Batmobile. Put it in but make it completely unnecessary in the game itself: people would complain that it's just a gimmick and serves no purpose. Put it in and make it so you have to use it: people complain that it's 'shoehorned' in.

I think Rocksteady could have done a better job with it overall, but I don't lay the blame squarely at their feet.

I'd say the *real* villain of the game is the developer who designed that last Riddler race. Holy shit, that is a painful experience.

The fact that there are Riddler race tracks speaks volumes of the problems with the Batmobile. I actually found it fun traversing the city with it, and some of the side-mission stuff is okay. But I agree with Shamus in that it feels too forced. I haven't beaten the game yet, though I'm close (I just got finished an awful, dragging boss encounter with the Arkham Knight and about six of the heavy tanks you have to stealth- eurgh) and I'd estimate around a third to half of the missions required use of the Batmobile. That's far too much. If they'd kept it as a means of traversing the open world, and toned back the amount of tank fights, I would have been happier with it.

A good article, and all points that i agree with. In fact, I didn't even realize most of these points until I read this, but they are all right.

The reason I didn't realize these points, of course, is because of the point that I'm surprised isn't mentioned in this article. The Batmobile handles like a nightmare, and I have been cursing it and hating it so much because of this that I failed to notice anything else. Chasing some of these cars--and a certain villain--through the streets often requires you to make ninety-degree turns. The game tells you to power slide, but the problem is that the slide turns into a near 180 if you hold the button down for more than a second. There's no weight to this car at all. Twitch your thumb just a little, and you go sweeping across the road and into a building. I don't even want to think about the later Riddler tracks, or beating times for the challenges. It has gotten so bad that I actually slow down now, taking my finger off of the gas (and is some cases, switching to tank mode quickly) in order to just turn the freaking thing. And when I am driving it, I never go to full speed because it handles so poorly.

Kingjackl:
I'd say the *real* villain of the game is the developer who designed that last Riddler race. Holy shit, that is a painful experience.

Great. Just freaking great. The first race was a damn horror experience for me, and the second one involved those stupid crushing blocks that I was barely able to dodge most of the time. Your statement is not filling me with excitement in the slightest.

Kingjackl:

The fact that there are Riddler race tracks speaks volumes of the problems with the Batmobile. I actually found it fun traversing the city with it, and some of the side-mission stuff is okay. But I agree with Shamus in that it feels too forced. I haven't beaten the game yet, though I'm close (I just got finished an awful, dragging boss encounter with the Arkham Knight and about six of the heavy tanks you have to stealth- eurgh) and I'd estimate around a third to half of the missions required use of the Batmobile. That's far too much. If they'd kept it as a means of traversing the open world, and toned back the amount of tank fights, I would have been happier with it.

Oh, god I remember that one. The worst part was failing a lap and then listening to Nigma harp on and on about how you're a failure. Made it that much more satisfying to shut him up though. The AR challenge at the end was an even bigger nightmare, complete 1 lap on the hardest setting in under 1 minute for an upgrade point. *shudders* I know one challenge for sure that I won't be repeating on New Game +.

Sniper Team 4:
A good article, and all points that i agree with. In fact, I didn't even realize most of these points until I read this, but they are all right.

The reason I didn't realize these points, of course, is because of the point that I'm surprised isn't mentioned in this article. The Batmobile handles like a nightmare, and I have been cursing it and hating it so much because of this that I failed to notice anything else. Chasing some of these cars--and a certain villain--through the streets often requires you to make ninety-degree turns. The game tells you to power slide, but the problem is that the slide turns into a near 180 if you hold the button down for more than a second. There's no weight to this car at all. Twitch your thumb just a little, and you go sweeping across the road and into a building. I don't even want to think about the later Riddler tracks, or beating times for the challenges. It has gotten so bad that I actually slow down now, taking my finger off of the gas (and is some cases, switching to tank mode quickly) in order to just turn the freaking thing. And when I am driving it, I never go to full speed because it handles so poorly.

Kingjackl:

Great. Just freaking great. The first race was a damn horror experience for me, and the second one involved those stupid crushing blocks that I was barely able to dodge most of the time. Your statement is not filling me with excitement in the slightest.

Fair warning: Prepare to growl/scream/pull your hair out in frustration at the final Riddler race. On the final lap, Nigma is the one controlling the the columns and walls. It's really goddamn frustrating, and the AR challenge is about 10x worse, since you only have one minute to complete a lap on it's hardest setting. You barely have enough leeway to make a single mistake, so if you mess up near the beginning you might as well start over.

Sniper Team 4:

Kingjackl:

I will say, right after posting this, I learned that the races become much easier if you do them in first-person (down on the d-pad). The problem with the final race is there's a lot of hard turns while gripping to the sides of walls, and the third lap is worst of all because you don't control the barricades. First person makes it easier to navigate when you're driving upside down.

Once I figured that out, the final race actually became quite fun. Still doesn't excuse how overbearing the Batmobile sections are.

The track I actually found worst was the first one (trying to do the AR challenge never had an issue with the race part). I find the final jump hard to get the timing right.

What controller input are people using? I have a 360 controller on the PC and the controls make massive use of the analogue stick and trigger. Pressing them fully can lead to issues....those with keyboard/mouse might have bigger issues controlling the beast.

Another note despite massive exhaust pipes does the tank sound too electric to you? I know it's a similar sound to that made by Nolans but it just doesn't sound right to me.

The other point about the last race is you actually have a decent amount of time to spare, a big mistake will probably (but not certainly) kill you but as long as your car is on the ground you can afford to slow down a fair bit in order to avoid the various traps.

No, the real villain is Warner Brothers.

Hype the DLC with the game's first trailer, a $40 season pass, outsourcing the PC port to a company that's only previous work was on consoles...need I go on?

I completed all the Riddler challenges in Asylum and City, just from these, I will not be completing Knights. If they ever fix the PC version that is (I bet the "fix" will be them re-doing the entire PC version).

CrazyBlaze:
A Bat Bike probably would have been funnier and made more sense. Fast, mobile, able to fit in tight spaces. Giving it some way to get up to the roofs and fly off them could be fun and entertaining. Some light gadgets and light fire power for some basic combat and make enemy tanks rare and basically boss fights.

He is vengeance, he is the night!

Edit: Adding a direct link because embed doesn't love me.

Edit2: Vid link fix'd

Love the Batmobile in Arkham Knight, easily one of the best uses of a vehicle I have seen in a while. Amazing how much the Batmobile has divided the fans because I can't get enough of it.

I've gone from considering this game opening week to holding off for the patch to waiting for a discounted GOTY edition to now probably never buying it at all.

Oh well I've still got Asylum and City to replay if I want.

Yup, Arkham Knight seems like a complete clusterfuck, even without the technical issues of the PC version (outsourcing the port and adding Denuvo... WTF was WB thinking!??).

Ugicywapih:

I love you for referencing the Cinema Snob and I'll one up with Batpussy :D

Yeah I'm glad someone shares my misgivings about the Batmobile.

Pros:
-You can use it to send Batman flying high speeds to the sky and it is awesome.
-It's Black
-Every shot with the cannon feels powerful.

Cons
-Boring to traverse the city in.
-Fights are a fucking chore.
-The mini gun feels weak.
-The fights with the Cobra Tanks are a fucking nightmare.

I just did the fight where you have the fight the Arkham Knight and his squad of Cobras and I was pulling my fucking hair out because you're supposed to sneak up on each enemy and keep them in sight for five seconds before the game will allow you to shoot. The problem is that each of the tanks are right next to each other and taking out one without being spotted is hair pulling. When you finally fight the Arkham Knight he is much faster than the Batmobile and it's hard to avoid him. After you take down his armor you have to shoot him while driving backwards which means you cannot see where his missiles are landing behind you. It's a baffling bad design for a boss.

Batman is a bit like the Doctor. He doesn't carry a gun, unless he does. When Matt Smith picked up a gun to shoot at a piece of inanimate technology, Dave Tennant fans immediately screamed about how the Doctor never uses a gun, ignoring that one of Tennant's final moments in the show involved him doing just that. And also threatening one of his greatest enemies with one.

Also, Nine used one, and the second, third, fourth, fifth, and eight versions at least.

It's not particularly hard to find images of Batman with a gun. Or even using one. And let's not forget the 1989 movie someone already posted a clip of.

What I've been told about the tank...er...Batmobile is that it's a joyless experience, tedious and forced down your throat. Yes, that sucks. But if we're talking Batman not using guns, eh....

(Yes, I know that was only one entry, and I agree with most of the list based on what I know. But this one annoys me a little)

SlumlordThanatos:

In fairness, Nolan's Batman is an idiot. I kept hoping he'd grow out of it, but he never really does.

This Batman's supposed to be smarter and more experienced. Collateral damage is something I expect him to think about.

I agree with this list wholeheartedly. Implementing the Batmobile was a terrible decision and seemed to only serve to give the player something else to do because Rocksteady was scraping the bottom of the idea barrel this time around. And those terrible Riddler driving ranges? Really? Does he have so much time and manpower on his hands that he can create massive race tracks with moving platforms in the sewers just to inconvenience Batman a little bit? Also what if the tanks were manned? What would he do to the tanks if he couldn't just shell them with a cannon? The whole game raises more questions then it would ever answer that I don't even care about the identity of the Arkham Knight at this point. This on top of the terrible PC port Rocksteady when out with a fart rather then a bang. I can only approach their next game with great caution.

I HATE this version of the Bat Mobile. It was shoehorned into EVERYTHING. Just when you think the game might actually start to be fun they force more of this thing on you.

Huh.

Yet another game with shoehorned vehicle sections that are badly implemented due to fan demands and are not even in the slightest optional? Pass.

I don't quite get why people want these so much. It makes sense in some games like Battlefield or GTA, but when it is so far removed from the core game that the devs can't even quite get the controls right, the devs should just take a step back and say "damn, this shit aint working. Cut it out and turn it into a bonus game mode they can select from the menu." No need to completely waste the work, but subpar shit in an otherwise polished game is just bad design.

"You start off in a room full of guys, and the crowd gradually thins out as you work."
Work, eh? Best damn job a strong guy with too much fighting skills could hope for, I guess! :D

But WOOOOOWWWWW, this sounds like an awful, dispicable design disaster! Even worse than all the purely technical disasters in this game (next week in the column?)... :(

Reminded me of this,

Zachary Amaranth:
What I've been told about the tank...er...Batmobile is that it's a joyless experience, tedious and forced down your throat. Yes, that sucks. But if we're talking Batman not using guns, eh....

It all comes down to the idea behind the Batmobile being more appealing then the actual practice. Mechanically it's pretty sound, apart from the reverse button, but you just don't want to drive a car in a superhero game. You want to do superhero shit, like beat up thugs and fly/jump across the rooftops.

It also makes the steets feel more empty, since the roads are wider to account for the driving action. Arkham City while also being an open-world felt cozier with its more narrow streets.

So I have returned to this article's comments simply to vent. I already made my distaste for the Batmobile known, but now I straight hate it.

Most of the VR challenges revolve around that thing, and I find myself lucky if I can get one star on some of them. Mainly, the stupid races. Somehow I managed to get 3 stars on the Cobra battle after only two tries, but trying to ram/take out Militia cars? That took me a good forty minutes to hit three stars, and by then I was straight screaming at the TV.

Oh, but the VR challenges where you actually play as Batman, or more specifically, Azreal? Where you use the skills you've developed over the past three games? I STOMP them. I got my combo count over two hundred on the first try for one of them. It was a blast, and it made me really miss the feeling of being Batman the superhero, not Batman the "I drive a tank GRR!!!!" person.

Bad Jim:

The same could be asked of a lot in the DC universe, not the least of which would be a gas attack that would wipe out the East Coast. Lets not try to selectively get logical here.

I don't love it in the game personally, but I don't hate it. As some have said it's a good idea that went in the wrong direction. It really is unfortunate how much it's forced on the player, but it's not THAT big a deal as games go.

The Batmobile/Tank is the reason im picking up the game later when its much cheaper - otherwise it would have been a day one purchase. The tank battles look so boring especially when every incoming rocket is sign posted. Driving as the batmobile is ok if it was just a way to get around the city quicker. But they have integrated it into missions and races and that just isnt that interesting.

Everything In Arkham Knight is a stark departure from everything good in the Arkham series. The new Bat Tank possibly being the most blatant example. I didn't even find these section fun. I tried to skip as many of them as possible only to find I needed to the Wayne tech point in order to pay for the few useful upgrades I needed buried under the mostly useless ones.

Yeah, I was very disappointed by the game. Almost no indoor areas(and the ones we had were really small), like 50% of the game spent in the batmobile and the gadgets were good for fuck all. I only had to use line launcher once ffs. Story wise it felt quite lacking as well, but that's probably because of the Batmobile as I just wanted it to end.

At the risk of being hated (more) I'm about 23% in now, and... I'm starting to LIKE the Batmobile. I grant you it is a radical thematic error, but I enjoyed the minigame aspects of Drone combat. I also should confess that I've logged thousands of hours in driving games and sims in my life, so I don't find the Batmobile overly challenging. A tight set of controls that is not, but I got used to it quickly.

The two things that make me like it, rather than be indifferent to it?

Getting in, and rocketing out. Diving from a building into the batmobile, as criminals scramble and panic is fun! Rocketing out and over the city like a bullet from a gun, is fun. I wish they had decided to shelve the tank elements and focused on tighter driving, and more gadgetry for using it in combat, or subduing criminals. I hope they don't, as a takeaway from this, simply remove the car entirely.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here