Agents of Cosplay: Harley Quinn: From Sidekick to Supervillainess

Harley Quinn: From Sidekick to Supervillainess

One of the most popular characters to cosplay is also a bit controversial.

Watch Video

I really grown to like Harley as a character and her wacky random and creepy personality is awesome ^_^.

Noticing she edited this like the recent 'Ed The Sock' videos. cough*LianaK's Husbando*cough

Subjectively speaking I like the full classic costume. Also i briefly hit re-puberty when i first saw the video of Harley crawling out of that giant pie [The Creeper episode in Batman TAS] ...i dont know why, but i did.

Also congrats on your premier.

Welcome to The Escapist... again. For a first episode this was really, good. I do like the level of detail you go into as well.

Buuut... I do like her original, weird costume. It really makes her look like a jester or harlequin which fits her role at the time, as things go on and her costume changes, such as in the Arkham games, it's never really gelled with me quite as well. I think they are really good costumes and often fit her character really, really well. But I guess I'm just an old stick in the mud for that original outfit.

I love, love LOVE Harley! The cosplayer in the video is fantastic and what she says is spot on. I'm so drawn to Harley because I've been so in love with a man before that I thought it was actually sending me crazy even when I know they're bad for me.

I actually wrote this post about it a while ago about one of the comics.

Anywho, here's my Harley cosplays!

I've been looking forward to this segment. Wasn't expecting it to be interview format, but I can dig it.

Leonardo Huizar:
Noticing she edited this like the recent 'Ed The Sock' videos. cough*LianaK's Husbando*cough

Thank you for letting me know that there were new Ed the Sock videos... I used to love Ed & Red back in the day, but I had thought the puppet had been shelved once they were off TV. Should have realised that they would make a comeback online.
On a side note, while trying to find the new show I found out the Wikipedia page for Ed & Red describes Liana as a "busty redhead", which is hilarious.

vallorn:
Buuut... I do like her original, weird costume. It really makes her look like a jester or harlequin which fits her role at the time, as things go on and her costume changes, such as in the Arkham games, it's never really gelled with me quite as well. I think they are really good costumes and often fit her character really, really well. But I guess I'm just an old stick in the mud for that original outfit.

I preferred it too. I always got the feeling that the Joker dressed her (or that she made that costume to impress him) and that he preferred the more overt clown theme as opposed the eye candy that the new costumes always make me think of (right or wrong).

I think I like the idea of discussing the motivation of cosplay because frankly I just don't get it. Its supposed to be art, but it seems like a painting of a painting.

Video was fairly well put together for a first try, but didn't jump out at me in either the cosplay or the harley quinn info. It was the same stuff everyone already knows. Im trying to give some constructive Feedback I think you need to look at it from viewer perspective and ask yourself "whats the purpose of these videos" Other than because someone is paying you.

On the harley quinn situation I feel like the whole identity of harley quinn is a jack in the box, murderous tinkerbell psycho. You know, like meeting some little kid in a dark alley who turns in a werewolf and eats you like in Scary stories to tell in the dark(Im old).

Its more enjoyable when you really have no idea whats behind the mask.

The new psycho prom queen murderous sex puppet deal is just kind of boring and vapid in comparison to the original harley quinn who was sometimes demented and sometimes a real person with feelings you can empathize with. You never knew and that was the fun.

Also DC comics and Marvel comics totally suck lately air?

piscian:
I think I like the idea of discussing the motivation of cosplay because frankly I just don't get it. Its supposed to be art, but it seems like a painting of a painting.

It's a bit like dancing; some people find it fun to watch, but it's actually much more fun if you're participating, if only in a simple fashion. I've not done it in ages, or anything hard, ever, but I could still put together a 'vaguely steam punk foppish corsair' if I gave it a go.

From sidekick to supervillainess.... to occasionally awesome hero.

Redeemed Harley is best Harley.

Awesome, Liana Kerzner is a great addition to the site.

Harley's pretty great. As for her (seemingly numerous) redesigns I prefer the ones that actually spin off more from the original concept than things that mostly just keep the color scheme, although there are some good ones there too.

I like this show, it has potential, looking forward to more.
Also totally looked there btw.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here