Windows 10 Review - Saving the Best For Last

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Windows 10 Review - Saving the Best For Last

Want to find out if Windows 10 is right for your PC? Check out our review of the new OS.

Read Full Article

Surprised that Cortana got such rosy coverage; most people's reports are that it is way behind in the accuracy of it's listening and searching.

Also, if I may put on my tin foil hat, This is the first and (so far) only action of Jeffrey Mills on the Escapist, and a quick online search doesn't turn up any prominent tech journalists of that name. For something like a new Windows review, it's strange enough that the Escapist would allow non-staff to write their review, let alone an unknown person who doesn't even have a little 'About the Author' blurb at the bottom of the last page.

Edit: Word from above.

Rhykker:
Jeff was a long-time employee of Game Front, last under Defy Media. He's a tech guy. He worked diligently behind the scenes for years, occasionally publishing something with his name on it, but largely doing the kind of work that is effectively invisible to most people. I worked with Jeff for a couple of years during my time at Game Front, as did Janelle Bonanno (Escapist Editorial Director) and Ron Whitaker (Escapist Community Manager) - the latter actually worked with Jeff for a decade or so (?). Basically, we know Jeff, and we've always known him to be a PC guy. He is the last man left running Game Front (I believe), and being in the employ of Defy, it's not at all farfetched that he'd be writing this review. Hope that quells your concerns! I do understand why you would have them.

You know, I can say may things about Win10...but I don't want to get banned so instead, here a link to this:
http://www.pcgamer.com/windows-10-solitaire-requires-a-subscription-to-remove-ads/
and this:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/07/30/windows-10-privacy-settings/
you can say whatever you want about it, you can like it, as good consumers or hate it like angry grognards and there's nothing bad with either options, really.

But I'll stick to Win7 and Ubuntu, thank you

I'll just wait until someone makes a script so cortana uses google instead of bing and one that disables all kinds of ads for my desktop

Yeah, it's all fun and games untill you read the TOS.
I'll happily stick with 8.

Unless a third party can wholly (unlikely) patch out all of the Orwellian features mentioned in the O.S., and those that have not been, then this one is a complete pass for me.

I upgraded both my gaming desktop and my laptop. Absolutely loving it! Cortana's super helpful, I love the new start menu, and, lack of adblocker aside, Edge replaced Chrome as my go-to browser.

I'm gonna switch down the road but... MS wrote this, right? I mean... it's like it was written by someone who doesn't use Windows in their daily life and it's based off of marketing points. I saw these exact same points touched in the various preview reviews of W10, and they were all like, "I'm a Mac guy but....".

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the reviewer. A review is an opinion piece so it's never actually wrong. But I also feel a review is pointless. It's been around for 2 days. But the way I see it, if you are going to review something, get into the nitty gritty. How are boot times vs other versions of windows and other OS's? How is the memory management? Are there any actual useful features I should care about (multiple desktops don't matter to me since I can't find a use in having multiple desktops vs the ability to have a lot of open programs I can alt/tab to in a single desktop)(Cortana is a joke, she is a shiny bitch to draw in the morons who think Siri is awesome vs being some novelty you ask silly questions to hoping to get silly answers). Speaking of Cortana... how often do people use voice recognition in the searches? I don't know about you, but I can google anything in a matter of seconds and it will only slow me down to wait for some second rate voice to text software try to make heads or tails out of anything I'm saying.

I don't think anyone cares about the Action Center. Action Center in W7 is that annoying little flag that always reminds me that I don't have any backups scheduled. I'm always like, STFU and I disable it. But since I work with end user computers, it's part of my daily life. They should have gotten rid of it rather an combining actually useful features with the shitty action center.

DirectX12 is a non-starter because MS plans on making all DX12 features also available on 11.3 just in case developers don't feel like switching to a new DX API.

Ugh, I just feel like this is going to be every review I read for the next few months. Just marketing speak in review form.

Baresark:
I'm gonna switch down the road but... MS wrote this, right? I mean... it's like it was written by someone who doesn't use Windows in their daily life and it's based off of marketing points. I saw these exact same points touched in the various preview reviews of W10, and they were all like, "I'm a Mac guy but....".

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the reviewer. A review is an opinion piece so it's never actually wrong. But I also feel a review is pointless. It's been around for 2 days. But the way I see it, if you are going to review something, get into the nitty gritty. How are boot times vs other versions of windows and other OS's? How is the memory management? Are there any actual useful features I should care about (multiple desktops don't matter to me since I can't find a use in having multiple desktops vs the ability to have a lot of open programs I can alt/tab to in a single desktop)(Cortana is a joke, she is a shiny bitch to draw in the morons who think Siri is awesome vs being some novelty you ask silly questions to hoping to get silly answers). Speaking of Cortana... how often do people use voice recognition in the searches? I don't know about you, but I can google anything in a matter of seconds and it will only slow me down to wait for some second rate voice to text software try to make heads or tails out of anything I'm saying.

I don't think anyone cares about the Action Center. Action Center in W7 is that annoying little flag that always reminds me that I don't have any backups scheduled. I'm always like, STFU and I disable it. But since I work with end user computers, it's part of my daily life. They should have gotten rid of it rather an combining actually useful features with the shitty action center.

DirectX12 is a non-starter because MS plans on making all DX12 features also available on 11.3 just in case developers don't feel like switching to a new DX API.

Ugh, I just feel like this is going to be every review I read for the next few months. Just marketing speak in review form.

The action center is actually pretty useful for me. I'm logged into my Email via the Mail app, and the action center notifies me whenever I get a new email. Same with Facebook updates, since I use the Facebook app. I'm trying to get used to all these apps, as opposed to just keeping a web browser open with 10+ tabs open. I made the jump from Windows 7. Cortana's been pretty helpful to me, too. She's the search bar from 7 on steroids, and the voice recognition is awesome when I'm lazy.

The only major issue I've had is that some security permission issues, because I can't save pictures directly to my Pictures library. I'm the admin, and should be able to do anything, and I've got UAC turned all the way down, too.

There's lots of smaller stuff I love, too. Want to uninstall and app or program? Just right click it in the start menu and hit "Uninstall". No searching for uninstall programs, 3rd party programs (CCleaner), or messing through the Control Panel!

The new Start menu's pretty great, too. I'm still fiddling with it and personalizing it how I want.

I'm trying to decide on when to do my upgrade. It's ready and waiting, but I'm not sure if I should do it now or wait a little for them to iron out any kinks that may show up. Is there a time limit to how long you have to do the upgrade?

Baresark:

A review isn't an opinion piece if it's a essentially an advertisement. Well, that's my opinion anyway.

T-Shirt Turtle:
I'm trying to decide on when to do my upgrade. It's ready and waiting, but I'm not sure if I should do it now or wait a little for them to iron out any kinks that may show up. Is there a time limit to how long you have to do the upgrade?

I did an upgrade from 8.1. After the installation I was back to 640x480. It had uninstalled my NVidia driver and gave me the basic Microsoft driver. Auto updating the driver failed and when I tried to manually install the correct driver, it failed. It took a couple of reboots to finally get the driver installed. That's the only problem I have had.

Thing is, I haven't been kicked by to basic video drivers since Windows XP and that was a fresh install, not an upgrade. Of all the video drivers to include in the installation, GeForce drivers should have been there.

Other than that, smooth sailing.

T-Shirt Turtle:

As near as I can tell, the free upgrade period is for a year, so you've got until next August to do it. Personally, I'm planning on waiting until the first service pack at least to take care of the obvious issues exposed during the stress testing.

T-Shirt Turtle:

If your running on an integrated graphics system your probably fine but if you have Nvidia then stay away, it breaks graphics cards drivers as Weeping Angels stated:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/07/25/windows-10-automatic-update-problems/

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/07/28/windows_10_update_nvidia_driver_conflict/

The fact this 'review' had so many errors and failed to point out even the known graphics issues let alone other concerns and did nothing but try and sell Windows 10 to us shows this was a paid article. Bad form Escapist, this is no review.

Yeah, this isn't a review. This is an advertisement. Shame on The Escapist. Did GamerGate teach you nothing?

Baresark:

Honestly it reads like someone giving a review. I doubt MS would highlight the poor launch and view of Windows 8 if they wrote it.

Its an initial review and the beta has been around for a while so its not as if people haven't been given a chance to mess around with it even if the beta didn't have all the features. Also it reads more like an overview rather than a review honestly. Also you're one person, so while you might not care much about the newer features there are most definitely users who do care and maybe want to know more about this stuff.

I'm feeling like I'm repeating myself but I'm highlighting this for a reason... I've been working on PC's for nearly 27 years, and I find the Action Center to be quite helpful. Its not intrusive, and the backup scheduling notifications don't appear if you turn that part off, so your gripe is less about the feature and seems more like you either didn't bother to turn off that part of Windows features or you had no idea you could. Either way that's kind of a poor complaint as if it really bothered you there's information available on how to turn off such things, a quick google search would produce results.
Personally, I use the action center frequently to check for various things. Its nice to have that little flag at the bottom with a one click method to bring up those features should I need to use them. So yes there are people who care, just not you and thats fine you don't have to use it but its quite arrogant to assume because you don't use or like something that there's no one else who would. Hold the opinions you want, I don't really care about that but don't presume to speak for anyone other than yourself please.

Its too early to tell whether or not DX12 will be worth anything. I'm hard pressed to understand why people rush to judge things that have yet to be fully realized or released. I'm not jumping on DX12 and saying its the best thing ever, but I'm also not going to pan it before its actually had a chance to be utilized. Like I said, I don't understand this mentality that seems to permeate forums as of late, its most prominent towards games that have just been announced or have released some footage but either way aren't available yet. It makes no sense.

Anyway, I'm not trying to convince you to like it but just amazed that you seem to think your opinion is fact and is the way everyone should think... I may be wrong but thats the way your post reads. I'd suggest if you want to give your opinion, limit it to your own personal views and refrain from speaking for anyone else except yourself. Thats all.

OT: I've noticed a boost in performance as it has been since Vista came out. When I upgraded from XP to Vista, most of my stuff seemed to work better but Vista did have memory leaks and did end up being sluggish the longer I ran my PC without a reboot, XP at first had the same problems so I can't say all that much. Windows 7 did seem like a huge difference in performance than Vista and I loved it but I decided to upgrade to 8.1 late in the game because I wanted to test it as I'd been working on various PC's with it and found I actually liked quite a few of the newer features. So when I upgraded to 8.1 I noticed again a significant boost in performance both in memory and cpu usage, plus I loved the newer task manager that actually broke down cpu/memory/network usages in one spot and which programs were doing the most work, allocating the most resources, etc.
Windows 10 seems initially to be another boost in performance, though I haven't given it a proper stress test to see how much of a boost I'm getting. But I do see a slight boost in framerates and lowered loading times as of yet.
As far as features I've used Windows 10 in Beta and enjoyed it there but it didn't have all the features quite yet and I only just upgraded so I haven't had a significant amount of time to fully realize the new things. I probably will disable some features ultimately, usually the ones I use the least and I'll be sticking to Chrome for now because I have a lot of time invested in it, but I will still give Edge a chance, at some point.
Overall I'm not disappointed with 10, but I've not had significant time with it to determine how well it works long term. However it seems initially to be a solid release so I'm not fearful of it crapping out and such. And there's always the option to return to the previous OS if I find I don't enjoy it. So kudos to MS for a decent launch.

WeepingAngels:

I did an upgrade from 8.1. After the installation I was back to 640x480. It had uninstalled my NVidia driver and gave me the basic Microsoft driver. Auto updating the driver failed and when I tried to manually install the correct driver, it failed. It took a couple of reboots to finally get the driver installed. That's the only problem I have had.

Thing is, I haven't been kicked by to basic video drivers since Windows XP and that was a fresh install, not an upgrade. Of all the video drivers to include in the installation, GeForce drivers should have been there.

Other than that, smooth sailing.

Thunderous Cacophony:

As near as I can tell, the free upgrade period is for a year, so you've got until next August to do it. Personally, I'm planning on waiting until the first service pack at least to take care of the obvious issues exposed during the stress testing.

RicoADF:

If your running on an integrated graphics system your probably fine but if you have Nvidia then stay away, it breaks graphics cards drivers as Weeping Angels stated:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/07/25/windows-10-automatic-update-problems/

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/07/28/windows_10_update_nvidia_driver_conflict/

The fact this 'review' had so many errors and failed to point out even the known graphics issues let alone other concerns and did nothing but try and sell Windows 10 to us shows this was a paid article. Bad form Escapist, this is no review.

Thanks, guys. I'm glad you all told me about the Nvidia thing. The laptop I was planning on doing the upgrade on has a GTX 560M (Yea, it's pretty old. Need to upgrade it soon) so I'm going to wait a couple of months to see if things get fixed.

Oh lawdy. This is just...eugh. Yeah, I think I'll continue NOT bothering to use Windows 10 in any form for years to come. I think we can all agree that this is something we don't want to see in something that likes to call itself "journalism."

There are far more than a few security and privacy questions being raised about Win10 that I'd like to see answered before I let it lay one grubby little finger on my system.

Yyyyeah, I'm going to stick to Windows 7 for now. I doubt my PC could support Windows 10 at the moment anyway, she's no spring chicken, that and with what one of the above posts said about Nvidia issues with W10, yeah, not going near it.

Really? This is a fluff piece at best, not a review.

Next time, actually spend some time with the product and do some research into things like the TOS complaints before publishing what MS's marketing department sent you.

there are many reasons why i wont be installing windows 10, from forced automatic updates to continuing pushing for online accounts to taking away user control to forcing useless windows defender to always be on to automatically scanning your entire drive "for pictures". but the biggest issue i have with it is this:

Update, even worse:

Luckily there already is a guide for removing most of that crap. Sadly i cannot link it here because the guide shows how to do it on both legitimate and pirated versions and thats taboo in this forum.

Baresark:

Do you have any more info on this? because as far as i know it would be as much effort as making DX12 simply work on win 8 instead so that would be pointless. You still have to completely rebuild the driver-metal layer interaction. no idea why would microsoft redo the entire thing for two different versions. other than perhaps "people see higher number and want that one instead".

I'm not going to declare this null and void as an opinion piece, but it's phrased HEAVILY as a marketing blurb.
So here are my thoughts as a long time computer enthusiast and IT professional who has used literally every version of Windows at some point in his life (professionally and personally; and yes, that includes ME, Vista, and business-oriented versions like NT).

Microsoft, always looking forward, assumed they could push touch based computing to the next level with an OS meant for all platforms.

I laughed when I read this.
Microsoft is "always looking forward" alright, and ahead of them is Apple's shiny white arse glistening in the sun every step of the way.

For the better part of the last decade, Microsoft has been desperately trying to crib Apple's biggest successes, and failing.

(Zune? iPod wannabe. MS Surface? iPad wannabe. Windows 8's layout, "idiot-proofing" and app-driven design had the stink of "Apple clone" all over it. I have no love for Apple at all, but the MS's attempts have been anything but subtle.)

You may find yourself spending far too much time simply customizing your start menu, similar to how you arranged your desktop icons in the past. The ability to add widgets such as tracking your local weather or next planned trip are pretty handy to have listed. Overall, I'm a big fan of the new Start menu. There's so much that can be done to personalize it to your liking and usefulness, that looking at the old menu now feels like a step backwards.

I sincerely doubt that.
Everything you just described are features that have been present in Windows since Vista (w/Service Pack 1 onward).
Features that were frequently disabled or worked around in Windows updates because they all posed serious security risks.

Meet Cortana, Microsoft's answer to Siri. Cortana takes over as your windows search bar. When you search for an item, it not only looks on your system, but on the internet and Microsoft's marketplace as well. Type in "calc" and it will give you a result of the calculator program installed on your system, search results from Bing and Marketplace apps that are calculators.

Bing? NOPE. No amount of amusement from snarky Cortana is worth using Bing.

I remember accidentally using it one time on one of my university's open lab computers (which are imaged workstations; so every new session is effectively a clean install, sans what's saved to the network drives) and getting dogpiled by adware immediately.

The speed and functionality is impressive to be sure, but it still feels unfinished. For one, there's a serious lack of addon support. I'm sure it's still a work in progress, but it seems to be a vital area that should have been included prior to release, especially when the rest of the OS is so full of customizable features.

This is literally the first paragraph in the entire review that kinda reads like a review of a new product.

You may remember the old Xbox App that allowed you to chat with your buddies while they played on the Xbox and you enjoyed your PC gaming goodness.

Remember? Maybe, but not fondly given that app was invoked mainly through Games For Windows Live.

Just fire up the game in your console and plug your controller in a USB port on your PC and have fun.

If I have to be there to fire up my Xbone, and it's streaming the output to my computer WHY NOT JUST CUT OUT THE MIDDLEMAN, AND PLAY THE SODDING GAME ON THE SODDING XBONE?

I thought long, and the best (only) practical use for this feature I found, is if you have the Xbone hooked to the TV and someone else wants to use it, but you just can't be arsed to move the Xbone and swap an HDMI cable into your monitor.
Maybe I'm just used to moving electronics around too much for my own good, but that seems like such a minor convenience to warrant a noticeable performance hit.

The features included are useful and the bloat is essentially gone

Well, apart from the in-system advertising and internalized traffic redirects to Bing and other MS affiliated venues I keep hearing about. But I'm sure those are just some silly rumors going around.
...I hope.

didnt read like an review to me either. good thing im not the only one who reads it like that.
but i sure read as well that the security features and scanning is an issue and its good you can disable it but damn, this sounds like forced marketing to me with all the adds and not being able to turn off updates. and it turns the defender back on again?? for what? so far the defender has always caused problems for me with every win version i can recall back to 98.

so far i have never checked if i have actually an update option to win 10. but i also dont really care to be honest. im very happy with win 7 and i know this version will be supported for sometime to come. if not as long as with XP.
the only update i will do for my pc would be a new CPU. still have a i4 intel chip and i should upgrade ti an i7. at least there i know this is not a waste of money and nothing will happen to my rig. hopefully.

Metalrocks:
didnt read like an review to me either. good thing im not the only one who reads it like that.
but i sure read as well that the security features and scanning is an issue and its good you can disable it but damn, this sounds like forced marketing to me with all the adds and not being able to turn off updates. and it turns the defender back on again?? for what? so far the defender has always caused problems for me with every win version i can recall back to 98.

Uhhh... Windows Defender wasn't around for '98... the earliest Windows version it was available for was XP, developed in 2005-ish, though it was based on a program that technically ran on 9x versions but later had that functionality removed. But that program wasn't Microsoft developed.

Imperioratorex Caprae:

Metalrocks:

Uhhh... Windows Defender wasn't around for '98... the earliest Windows version it was available for was XP, developed in 2005-ish, though it was based on a program that technically ran on 9x versions but later had that functionality removed. But that program wasn't Microsoft developed.

really? have some memory of it but very possible i have it very wrong. i just know that it always caused issues with programs and other features so i always turned it off.

Well seeing as I never got the little icon to upgrade I'll be sticking to Win 7 for some time yet. Hell I still had Windows XP until about a year ago.

It pisses me off how every review praises Cortana and tells me what a great new feature it is, without ever mentioning the region limitations. It's not available to me, despite my Windows language being english. How much region specific information does Cortana really need?

Houseman:
Yeah, this isn't a review. This is an advertisement. Shame on The Escapist. Did GamerGate teach you nothing?

What was so bad about their attitude towards GamerGate? The only dubious thing I noticed was that article citing male developers' opinions.

OT: And now all I'm left wondering is whether the bugs and adware are rampant.

Strazdas:

Baresark:

Do you have any more info on this? because as far as i know it would be as much effort as making DX12 simply work on win 8 instead so that would be pointless. You still have to completely rebuild the driver-metal layer interaction. no idea why would microsoft redo the entire thing for two different versions. other than perhaps "people see higher number and want that one instead".

I read an article stating this and I can't find it for the life of me. BUT, as current research tells me, they are going to have features in 11.3 that are similar, but DX12 is still going to be a powerhouse in comparison to those. So DX12 is still going to be the go to in a few years probably. To be honest though, even when a lot of companies have the ability to work on DX11, I notice that DX9 is still very common. The new console generation is maybe only slightly more powerful than your average DX11 PC when they first came out, so I don't see DX12 really taking off when it seems like DX9 is still a necessity for a lot of games to run really well. That is just my opinion though. We'll see what happen. But, by the time that happens you will finding custom builds of W10 I think, like you did with W7 and W8. It's only a matter of time before someone fixes all of these features that actually makes everyone angry, even if it's not MS.

Imperioratorex Caprae:
snip
1. Honestly it reads like someone giving a review. I doubt MS would highlight the poor launch and view of Windows 8 if they wrote it.

snip

2. Also you're one person, so while you might not care much about the newer features there are most definitely users who do care and maybe want to know more about this stuff.

3. I'm feeling like I'm repeating myself but I'm highlighting this for a reason... I've been working on PC's for nearly 27 years, and I find the Action Center to be quite helpful. Its not intrusive, and the backup scheduling notifications don't appear if you turn that part off, so your gripe is less about the feature and seems more like you either didn't bother to turn off that part of Windows features or you had no idea you could. Either way that's kind of a poor complaint as if it really bothered you there's information available on how to turn off such things, a quick google search would produce results.
Personally, I use the action center frequently to check for various things. Its nice to have that little flag at the bottom with a one click method to bring up those features should I need to use them. So yes there are people who care, just not you and thats fine you don't have to use it but its quite arrogant to assume because you don't use or like something that there's no one else who would. Hold the opinions you want, I don't really care about that but don't presume to speak for anyone other than yourself please.

snip

4. Its too early to tell whether or not DX12 will be worth anything. I'm hard pressed to understand why people rush to judge things that have yet to be fully realized or released. I'm not jumping on DX12 and saying its the best thing ever, but I'm also not going to pan it before its actually had a chance to be utilized. Like I said, I don't understand this mentality that seems to permeate forums as of late, its most prominent towards games that have just been announced or have released some footage but either way aren't available yet. It makes no sense.

Anyway, I'm not trying to convince you to like it but just amazed that you seem to think your opinion is fact and is the way everyone should think... I may be wrong but thats the way your post reads. I'd suggest if you want to give your opinion, limit it to your own personal views and refrain from speaking for anyone else except yourself. Thats all.

1. That is fine if you think that, but MS has spoken publicly about the poor reception of W8. That is one of the stated reasons for the free upgrade for the first year. But others on here also don't feel it reads like much of a review since it's essentially talking about MS own selling points for the OS. My criticism is that it only talked about these points and not any of the essential points of an OS.

2. I never claimed to be speaking for everyone. I'm sure there are people out there who care about the new features, but as a guy who works with technology, the main features I care about are the ones that are still going to be in common use a year or two from now. To me, that means Cortana will all but have disappeared (like Siri and how it's just a novelty for everyone I have ever met who uses and iPad) and multiple desktops, while still being there, are not going to mean much to most users. That is just a couple of examples.

3. I have been working on PC's for almost as long and you are right, it's not that intrusive. But it's like when you are walking towards the sink to wash dishes and someone asks you when you are gonna wash the dishes, it's super annoying and starts to grate on you after it happens on every trip to the sink. If you read a bit more carefully I stated that I shut mine off but I work with computers so I see it all the time regardless of what I do on my own computer/workstation.

4. I didn't pan it, I just stated that it's not a talking point here and now because of the same reasons you stated, plus the fact that a lot of those features are going to show up in some form in DX11.3. I can't logically pan it because we have only read about how awesome it's going to be, but using that same reasoning it can't be a logical talking point now. We could be looking at another DX10 for all we know, it's too early to tell.

I also never stated my opinion as fact, only my opinion. Just as I read this review as an opinion and not a fact piece. To reiterate: I never said I speak for everyone but I also do use hyperbole when I write these responses sometimes.

People need to stop calling out paid reviews or advertisements when someone says something they don't like. This looks less like an advertisement, and more like a love letter from a fan.

Houseman:

Looks more like a direct result than a failure to learn to me.

Gonna stick with what I've got at the moment. I have never seen a benefit to being an early adopter in any new OS. Always feels like I'm doing an advanced form of quality assurance beta-testing without the benefit of being paid for the problems I find. I'll wait until there's a workaround out for the bing search integration, among other features I don't much care for.

Microsoft so gung-ho on having almost anyone using Windows to upgrade to their latest OS, even making it a free upgrade?

So they can mine user data like their is gold at the bottom of the shaft, the stuff I've read about Win 10 and the extent to which it mines user info, forces ads even as bad as to have an inbuilt keylogger. Yes a lot of it can be turned off but you have to know where to look and some of it requires CMD prompts to disable. Sorry MS I'd rather pay for an OS and have some control over what it is doing in the background rather than get it for free and have it do whatever the hell it wants with little or no say.

Now end of the day the OS is free so MS has to recoup the cost some how I am just wondering though what about the folk who have to pay in a years time to buy the OS, will they be getting the spy ware version or will they get a version with a single button that says FUCK OFF MS I have no interest in having you watch everything I do with my PC?

Baresark:

1. That is fine if you think that, but MS has spoken publicly about the poor reception of W8. That is one of the stated reasons for the free upgrade for the first year. But others on here also don't feel it reads like much of a review since it's essentially talking about MS own selling points for the OS. My criticism is that it only talked about these points and not any of the essential points of an OS.

2. I never claimed to be speaking for everyone. I'm sure there are people out there who care about the new features, but as a guy who works with technology, the main features I care about are the ones that are still going to be in common use a year or two from now. To me, that means Cortana will all but have disappeared (like Siri and how it's just a novelty for everyone I have ever met who uses and iPad) and multiple desktops, while still being there, are not going to mean much to most users. That is just a couple of examples.

3. I have been working on PC's for almost as long and you are right, it's not that intrusive. But it's like when you are walking towards the sink to wash dishes and someone asks you when you are gonna wash the dishes, it's super annoying and starts to grate on you after it happens on every trip to the sink. If you read a bit more carefully I stated that I shut mine off but I work with computers so I see it all the time regardless of what I do on my own computer/workstation.

4. I didn't pan it, I just stated that it's not a talking point here and now because of the same reasons you stated, plus the fact that a lot of those features are going to show up in some form in DX11.3. I can't logically pan it because we have only read about how awesome it's going to be, but using that same reasoning it can't be a logical talking point now. We could be looking at another DX10 for all we know, it's too early to tell.

I also never stated my opinion as fact, only my opinion. Just as I read this review as an opinion and not a fact piece. To reiterate: I never said I speak for everyone but I also do use hyperbole when I write these responses sometimes.

Fair enough. I do understand your point of view, I've worked with so many different types of users in my life that its damn near impossible to pin down what features are going to be a hit and which ones are just novelties IMO. I've been using Microsoft operating systems for a long time, I think DOS 3.0 was my first OS but I can't be sure because its fuzzy memories, and while I've had a few trying and frustrating experiences, overall I've had more good than bad. Whether I've been lucky or what I'm not sure but I hardly ever encounter the issues that a lot of people scream about, especially lately with 8.1.

My view of this article though is that it reads more like a review written by someone like me, who's not had too many horrible experiences with Windows and actually likes the overall features that 10 offers. Its not an advertisement, but it does read less like a review that is unbiased and more like someone loves the shit out of Windows. Honestly I could have seen myself writing this article, and I've not once been paid by Microsoft.

Baresark:

I read an article stating this and I can't find it for the life of me. BUT, as current research tells me, they are going to have features in 11.3 that are similar, but DX12 is still going to be a powerhouse in comparison to those. So DX12 is still going to be the go to in a few years probably. To be honest though, even when a lot of companies have the ability to work on DX11, I notice that DX9 is still very common. The new console generation is maybe only slightly more powerful than your average DX11 PC when they first came out, so I don't see DX12 really taking off when it seems like DX9 is still a necessity for a lot of games to run really well. That is just my opinion though. We'll see what happen. But, by the time that happens you will finding custom builds of W10 I think, like you did with W7 and W8. It's only a matter of time before someone fixes all of these features that actually makes everyone angry, even if it's not MS.

Similar features i can believe. but the Drawcall threading is probably going to stay on the DX12 giving it that edge in processing.

Actually for the past few years, almost all AAA games are DX11-10. Look for any game that has Vista/7 as minimum requirements. all of those are going to be running DX newer than 9 (making new windows the requirement). Its the indies that are using free/cheap engines still exporting in DX9 since they dont use all the fancy features. And even that is going down now if we look at the good indeas (and ignore the greenlight crap and the like). It has taken, what, 7 years, but DX 10/11 is taking hold now.

From what it looks like, it is very possible that Xbox One is getting DX12, though. Microsoft been quite clear that they want it there and i think Windows update is quite possible consdering how similar to PC these consoles are. No idea what PS4 is going to do because i think its still on OpenGL. its probably going to use that new, forgot what its called, the one AMD is working on thats supposed to work like DX12 as well. Vulcan i think.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here