Why Do We Love to Hate Women Like Yaya Han?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Why Do We Love to Hate Women Like Yaya Han?

Yaya Han is a beautiful woman. This means that she attracts a lot of attention. This, in turn, draws the ire of some commenters who attack her as a person.

Read Full Article

Can't say I'd ever heard of her before this article but her costumes are pretty damn amazing.

I think she would make one heck of an awesome Rita Repulsa cosplay.

About hatred and negative comments though...

Everyone that has ever put something online and just gets an ounce of attention by the internet will receive hate... thats how people work. This has been the case for anyone even before the internet was a thing, from Marylin Monroe to Arnold Schwarzenegger everyone received hatred that was in the public eye.

This phenomenom has little to to with sex or gender and more to do with people being kinda shitty as people sometimes turn out to be. ESPECIALLY when they think they are anonymous and no one will ever know that they behaved like a shitlord today.

The good news is though that 99,9 % of the populace wont hate on you... heck they might not even know you exist.

Theres one thing that irks me especially about your article thought:

"Why WE love to hate WOMEN like YAYA HAN?..." is quite the opening gambit cause it assumes alot about people in general.

It assumes that people actually know her. (i didnt)

It assumes that people love to hate her. (i dont)

It assumes this hatred is based on her sex. (i dont.. why would i hate her for being a woman again?)

None of wich are true in most cases.

Comment sections are usually shit because people who like the content usually dont go out of their way to say so. People who dont like the content have the urge to make their dislike known however. I dont know why this is the case but negativity usually propells people to comment instead of positivity.

So the case might be that more people actually like her then hate her, only that these people dont post for whatever reason and all thats left is a very loud and obnoxius minority (as is usually the case)

So your title should be less "why people hate women like xxx" and more like "why do people on the internet openly hate on other people on the internet"

I think this is an apropriate comment:

No One Lives Forever, PC, Scene where Agent Archer meets Agent "Melvin" Goodman first time -
brillant as ever:
https://youtu.be/UoXoh7hwmZM?t=2h29m24s

Luckily I think the general public have greater things to spend their energy on than hating on Cosplayer 'x'.

She's actually pretty darn spectacular, props on the effort and enthusiasm.

My friend sends me pictures of her occasionally on Facebook. He adores her because, as he puts it, "she so FIERCE!!!" And I always agree. No matter what costume she's wearing, I always find myself whistling in amazement.

Okay, yes. Often one of the first, if not the first, things I notice in her pictures are her breasts. Because wow. You'd have to be blind NOT to seem them in some of the outfits she wears. And considering the fact that a lot of those characters are well endowed (to the point where back pain comes to mind for some), you're really going to notice it when it's on a real life person.
But I'm always more impressed with her costumes. Her attention to detail is staggering. When I saw a picture of her as Mad Moxxi, I thought the character had come to life. From the crazy outfit, down to the facial makeup, she nailed it all perfectly. And her dressing as Ada Wong is spot on, maybe even better than the actress who played her in the movie. Even that Catwoman picture in this article is breathtaking because she looks so much like the character she's playing.

I've never understood how people can get upset at someone like her. It boggles my mind, because if I ever run across a woman who is not only that attractive, but is that hard core into nerdy stuff that I like and is dressed up to the point where it looks like she stepped out of one of my favorite games, I'm going to be nothing less that impressed. And possibly asking for her autograph.

Whatīs the controversy?After watching the Yaya Han interview on another escapist topic, she seems to have the right idea "I like how I feel doing it, I donīt give a fuck what people think about it". She seems to me that she should be admired, not ridiculed because of her passion.

That is why you don't idolize people in the first place, respect them but never idolize because its creates nothing but delusion. Also I think its safe to say that many people are just jealous of both her looks and ability to create great cosplay, shes beautiful and is willing to show it off and for many people that is tantamount to a sin these days.

But I really do love Yaya Han, Liana.
I love her in many ways.
I love her for who she is, and for the way she makes my body feel.
Hate I leave for war and clickbait.

I know next to nothing about Cosplay, so I have a question regarding people like Yaya Han, Jessica Nigri etc.

I get that they are models in the traditional sense beyond cosplay (calendars and photo shoots and what-not), but do they make money off cosplay? If so, how? Do they get paid by Comic-con or E3 or whomever to dress up and just show up and walk around the convention? Or do they just love doing cosplay that much? It just seems like it would be too expensive of a hobby to do on a constant basis.

Just talkin' about the title here. Why should i hate Yaya Han? I met her personally at the Fantasy Basel 2015 and she's a nice lady, does alot for cosplay and is very talented.

Ihateregistering1:
I know next to nothing about Cosplay, so I have a question regarding people like Yaya Han, Jessica Nigri etc.

I get that they are models in the traditional sense beyond cosplay (calendars and photo shoots and what-not), but do they make money off cosplay? If so, how? Do they get paid by Comic-con or E3 or whomever to dress up and just show up and walk around the convention? Or do they just love doing cosplay that much? It just seems like it would be too expensive of a hobby to do on a constant basis.

I know they got paid coming to the Fantasy Basel, they also had their own booth and she does workshops about cosplay too. So i guess it's a little bit of this and a little bit of that. Model, teacher, performer, judge, celebrity.

I hate who now? Never heard of her.

Her costumes are really good!

I like her for her cosplay but I don't like her views on cosplay. SciFi, SyFy, whatever that channel calls itself now, did a cosplay based show on which she routinely popped up on and it really irked me when one of her views that she espoused constantly is don't cosplay out of your body type, which isn't a good message. Thing she also said a few things about basic amateur cosplay that boiled down to, "if you can't devote a lot of time/money into it, don't do it."

Nothing against her looks, I'm a hetero-male, how could I? It's just that I've heard statements from her that really strike me wrong way.

Never heard of her, but that's a talent. That Diablo 3 Wizard is on point.

Also this isn't news, beautiful women attract hatred all over the place, my Sister is a conventionally attractive girl who does make up stunningly well and takes fantastic pictures. Some of the comments from men and women are sickening to read in her email and comments section. I, in contrast are an average looking frumpy curmudgeon in a cardigan and a messy bed head.

But alas, this is the world we live in isn't it, No one really wants to discuss or change it or people are 'social justice warrioring' or 'white knighting'. When the femenazi's march in to take away scumbags rights to humiliate and demean women. Oh the horror.

That girl up there might be a horrible person, who knows, I don't, but she doesn't deserve hatred based on pictures alone, that's inane and sad. Women of all creed, colour, weight and looks get hatred for different reasons and I long for a day it stops, but really it's only the ones that stay quiet and demean their own self worth that dodge the bulk of it, that's a horrible precedent to set. But I observe it regularly.

People are people. Stop doing this.

Do we really need to give her any more attention?

Don't get me wrong, I liked her and she was fine with the curreny attention she was getting but now she's getting more cos of that stupid video presented her and cosplay in the wrong light.

I probably wouldn't have clicked on this article if it weren't the title (for shame), but I'm glad to see other commenters have picked up on what bothered me.

It goes without saying I don't really know of Yaya and I certainly don't hate her. I'm pretty sure after watching the interview the only people who do hate her are jealous women and maybe some male cosplayers who feel like she's taking attention away from them because of her looks and choices in costume. To the casual, outside observer, she just seems like another nice, talented cosplayer from an already huge community of people.

As for the politicization of Yaya's choices in costume and appearance, it really just seems like sex-negative feminists getting in a tizzy over something they really don't understand. Some women really do just want to be pretty sometimes.

BabySinclair:
...did a cosplay based show on which she routinely popped up on and it really irked me when one of her views that she espoused constantly is don't cosplay out of your body type, which isn't a good message.

I dunno, isn't the character's physical appearance and body type a part of them as a character as well? I mean, ultimately it's cosPLAY (emphasis mine) and it's supposed to be fun, so you can dress up as whomever you like, but if I had a male friend who was 5'7, 150 lbs and he was asking me for cosplay ideas, I probably wouldn't recommend The Incredible Hulk or RE5 Chris Redfield.

Karadalis:
I think she would make one heck of an awesome Rita Repulsa cosplay.

Funny you should say so. I believe there was a pic of her doing just that in this video.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/agents-of-cosplay/57479-Yaya-Han-Cosplay

The link Liana has in her article will probably lead to better examples though.

Anyway.

Karadalis:

I see where you're coming from with the points about the vocal minority of commenters and that you don't fit that so much, but wouldn't the more "appropriate" title then be "Why does Yaya Han get hate?"?
While there are those with similar issues to Yaya, the article is still mostly about her after all.

While it is true that many many things and peoples on the the web get hate (some less and some more), that observation doesn't really help that much with the overall problem of said hate.
Kind of makes it sound worse honestly.

Also, given the topics mentioned of how/why people were targeting Yaya (as well as Liana and others) while their sex isn't the only motivation, I think it would be a bit hasty to say it played NO part in motivating people to be so hateful.
Yes, the internet will always connect someone with another person that doesn't like them/what they are/what they do, but they'll express dislike of said person for various reasons. Sex being occasionally one of them.

Razhem:
Whatīs the controversy?After watching the Yaya Han interview on another escapist topic, she seems to have the right idea "I like how I feel doing it, I donīt give a fuck what people think about it". She seems to me that she should be admired, not ridiculed because of her passion.

Uh, isn't that one of the points of this article? <.<

"On the flip side, don't take cheap shots at women like Yaya Han because you don't like the politics surrounding the ideal of the female body."

As for the controversy? Basically people doing the opposite of the above quote and various other not very nice things.
Such as what this quote mentions.

"It's fine to look at boobs as long as you don't lose sight of the fact that looking at boobs is looking at part of a person."

Karadalis:
Theres one thing that irks me especially about your article thought:

"Why WE love to hate WOMEN like YAYA HAN?..." is quite the opening gambit cause it assumes alot about people in general.

It assumes that people actually know her. (i didnt)

It assumes that people love to hate her. (i dont)

It assumes this hatred is based on her sex. (i dont.. why would i hate her for being a woman again?)

UberPubert:
It goes without saying I don't really know of Yaya and I certainly don't hate her.
To the casual, outside observer, she just seems like another nice, talented cosplayer from an already huge community of people.

That's the thing: you guys hadn't heard of her; of course you don't hate some rando that you don't know about. You're, as UberPubert stated, "outside observers". But Yaya does get a fairly large amount of hate, and in no small part because of her cosplays which show off her cleavage.

Karadalis:

So your title should be less "why people hate women like xxx" and more like "why do people on the internet openly hate on other people on the internet"

This article is about cosplay though. "People on the internet openly [hating] on other people on the internet" isn't specific to the subject at hand, while female coplayers such as Yaya receiving hate is fairly abundant within the cosplay "community".

BabySinclair:
I like her for her cosplay but I don't like her views on cosplay. SciFi, SyFy, whatever that channel calls itself now, did a cosplay based show on which she routinely popped up on and it really irked me when one of her views that she espoused constantly is don't cosplay out of your body type, which isn't a good message. Thing she also said a few things about basic amateur cosplay that boiled down to, "if you can't devote a lot of time/money into it, don't do it."

Nothing against her looks, I'm a hetero-male, how could I? It's just that I've heard statements from her that really strike me wrong way.

Heroes of Cosplay was an absolutely terrible show that was full of manufactured drama and reality TV bullshit that likely did much more harm than good to the image and perception of cosplayers. Jessica Nigri was smart to not go on it.

To the author: Maybe you should've included some mention of the Heroes of Cosplay controversy? I know you don't wanna feed the flames, but in the comments for both this article and your video, there are quite a few posts from people outside the loop that have no idea what controversy/drama you're talking about.

BabySinclair:

Hmm. Yeah, I'm not much for that mentality either. Strange that she would be given her comments about portraying characters of different race. Also, her comments in Liana's interview with her seem to suggest that she thinks you shouldn't care about cosplaying out of body type. Perhaps she's changed her views?

As for the time and money thing. I kind of agree, depending on what she meant.

If she was saying don't get into professional cosplay "if you can't devote a lot of time/money into it", then I see what she means as it is an expensive or at least time consuming thing to do.

But if she meant to just never do it at all, then yeah, that would be silly.

Edit: Hmm. It seems her having those views were a fabrication made up by the Heroes of Cosplay show for "the drama".
Odd a show about heroes sounds like it was run by villains. ;p

Hey, there's a beautiful woman cosplaying to get attention and then there's professional cosplayers that just so happen to be beautiful. I believe Yaya Han is the latter in all honesty. I mean she puts a crap load of effort into her outfits. The hatred towards her is unjustified and people be hostile towards anything now a days.

(Expectations) Fan of Comics: "Wow, Yaya could be a Hollywood model and yet she chooses cosplaying instead? What a wonderful thing to happen, more power to her and those who love cosplaying regardless of gender, ethnics, or looks!"

(Reality) Fan of Comics: "Who the heck does this woman think she is?! She's so beautiful but chooses a nerdy hobby like cosplaying?! It's a stunt- IT'S A STUNT AND RUINING MY LIFE WITH HER CROSSING THE LINE!!!"

Pretty much this.

BabySinclair:

You can blame aggressive editing for that, not her actual views. The producers decided to portray her as the "Cosplay Snob" judge, though that wasn't how her comments actually went.

Caramel Frappe:
Hey, there's a beautiful woman cosplaying to get attention and then there's professional cosplayers that just so happen to be beautiful. I believe Yaya Han is the latter in all honesty.

And the former category does not actually exist in any meaningful capacity.

BabySinclair:

Being more of a cosplay "professional", Han tends to shoot for 1:1 depictions of the characters she selects. From a purely mechanical point of view, I can sort of understand the logic of only cosplaying within the limits of your body type. If you're really in the market to offer an exact reproduction, then body type does come into play.

The thing is, though, most cosplayers aren't professional. They're fans that feel that nerding out while dressed as something that appeals to them or that they just find fun or humorous or, well, whatever else. I think that's totally fine. Male MGS fans cosplaying as Quiet for the lulz? Why the Hell not?

All I know is I have an immense amount of respect to disabled fans of a game, a movie or a fictitious character that either work past their disabilities to depict the character, or who use their disability as a "prop" of sorts. I'm reminded of a Fury Road fan who felt like cosplaying as Furiosa and who actually had a missing arm cutting off at exactly the right spot for a visually accurate reproduction of the character's prosthetic arm to be designed and used. The end result was absolutely stunning.

I don't know who this lady is nor do I follow any cosplayers online but I gotta ask, why the fuck would it matter if she was doing it for attention anyway?

It's nice to have people to talk too!

I draw constantly, because I've always loved to do it and I want to improve. I then take what I've drawn and post that online, why? Because it's nice to talk about your work with others. The attention isn't what my main objective is but it's a nice thing to have regardless, honestly, the people who complain about someone doing something for anything but the purest reasons need to get a reality check.

She enjoys what she does, as long as it's not hurting anyone then what's the freaking problem? It pandas/degrades/misrepresents, blah, blah, blah. When did it become her job to stand up for whatever morals you hold!?

~Sigh~

I'm getting real tired of your shit internet.

And Man:
That's the thing: you guys hadn't heard of her; of course you don't hate some rando that you don't know about. You're, as UberPubert stated, "outside observers". But Yaya does get a fairly large amount of hate, and in no small part because of her cosplays which show off her cleavage.

I'm just pointing out that a more accurate title would be "Some people don't like Yaya Han".

If somebody wanted to write, "Why we love to hate companies like EA" I could understand, because that's a huge publishing company that buys out and ruins franchises and garners a notoriously bad reputation among millions gamers.

How many people actually hate Yaya? I don't see any of them in this thread.

The justification:

A lot of people in our culture are pissed. Us older geeks (born in the 80's) really had to suffer to be who we are. The bullying wasn't just real, but fucking encouraged by authority figures. So people hold onto that pain and took that as the fire that made them. Add the perfect shield of being able to say whatever someone wants from hundreds of miles away, and your average geek/nerd became Verbal Wolverines, ready to go beserker on anyone or anything that they feel they've "earned" by suffering through our childhood.

Then these casuals who couldn't really compete with the super models but were still really cute found out that if they put on glasses, they could get a buttload of attention and feel special. No one likes a poser, so rage on.

Possibly the Truth:

It's a costume for some people who they can take off and be fine with regular society. Most people are envious of that fact. Some are even just simply jealous that they can't have someone that hot actually care for them romantically. Boo on those 'posers' for coming in and ruining the place that was supposed to feel safe for all those geeks who would be terrified of even talking to a woman that attractive in real life.

Butthurt is really what it comes down to.

People hate Yaya Han? Really? Jesus I'd sacrifice goats at that woman's feet if I felt it would help the world be a better place. Or build a temple in her honour, you know, if she wasn't on board with animal sacrifice.

I find that most people are fairly duplicitous in this kind of behavior. For instance, my wife has quite frankly enormous implants - something in the neighborhood of 1800cc's (that's nearly 2 liters of saline per breast). She can wear almost anything and make it look sexy because her figure is so outrageous (tall, blonde, stacked).

Anyway, very, very rarely has she ever gotten a negative comment from anyone about her obviously fake boobs (no woman that skinny has breasts that large). She has gotten exclamations ranging from "HOLY SHIT!" to just "BOOBS!" from random drunk people, and while that's annoying, none of them were flat out judgments of her character for deciding to get plastic surgery. It's actually quite the opposite, usually she gets asked (discretely) by a good quarter to half of the women she becomes acquaintances with all sorts of questions about them and generally under the auspices that they want to get them done too.

Now, I have a hard time believing if such a large portion of the women my wife meets are asking her for advice on getting breast implants, that really so many people are opposed to them. Instead, I tend to think that this is just another instance of people either being rude for the sake of it, or trying to send moral signals to other people that range everywhere from, "I'm a guy who hates breast implants, so please date me!" to "God damn it I hate fake bitches, even though I don't know this person!"

Basically, entirely useless and stupid posturing not really meant to attack the person in question, but instead to boost the ego of the person making the insult or otherwise allow them to project an image of themselves. At this point, the lady in question is actually irrelevant. They'll bitch about anything so long as they get the message across that actually expresses something about themselves.

Do people get this? It's less about if having big fake boobs is a crime, and more about wanting to use hating on them as a statement about the speaker.

Anyway, that's why all this stuff is nonsense. Once you understand what people are doing you just see right through it and feel sad for them. Why don't they try talking about themselves instead of using other people as props for their own egos or self image.

It seems pretty stupid that people would jump to the conclusion that her body must be fake, because it looks improbable in a single picture.
Do these people know anything at all about modelling, cosplay or just plain taking pictures?
There are tons and tons of ways to make your body look a certain way you want in a picture and actually sugically changing your body is the generally not the way it's done.
From light manipulation, to body creams or just wearing your clothes in a specific way, there's tons of ways to make your body look different exspecially if it's just for a single picture.
I have a female friend that wanted to try cosplaying once and showed me a few advice videos she had looked up on youtube. Even if we just look at the breasts, there was one youtuber that made her B-cup look like a DD-cup just by thightening the bra and applying some creams that made the skin look a bit different.

Did I ever wonder why we "love to hate" beautiful people? Sure, then I remembered that I was an adult and that it didn't matter. "It" being the topic, not necessarily any specific case.

As harsh as that sounds, it's just the way it is. All people succumb to a bit of pettiness once in a while and when you add an entire comment section worth of bandwagon hate, people feel like they're not alone in that moment of pettiness, so they lash out by writing a "mean" comment.
So why doesn't it matter? Because this is an iota of their existence, these people are not consumed by hatred and they don't spend every single minute of their life belittling others. It's just like taking a trip to the bathroom, sometimes the bad stuff builds up and you have to expel it.

This is by no means exclusive to women as the targets or men as the aggressors, not even in cosplay. Male cosplayers who have an athletic body often experience women outright groping them on their ass or crotch, because these women think they're being "playful" or "naughty".
If you want to learn about objectification, you should try talking to a male stripper at some point. They suffer far worse than a few off-colored jokes about big boobs and mean spirited envy.

For me it's no longer a question of whether or not I'm "allowed" to enjoy the sight of a cosplayer, because there's something sexy about the person. Now I avoid the scene almost entirely, because every time I see a slightly exaggerated cleavage or bit too tight suit on the cosplayer, I don't get titillated in any way, instead I get tired and just want to avoid the inevitable political correctness and the feminist hypersensitivity that follows.
That's where you want to point your finger, because those people are the ones who ruin cosplay and especially any slight sexualization about it, which was supposed to be a bit of harmless fun.

-

About female anti-heroes, it's not a completely dry well in comics and games. Catwoman is pretty much the go-to example, but you also have Starfire (no, not the teen titans version) who outright goes into a berserker rage, if you piss her off enough.
The dark and brooding Raven (again, not teen titans..) is a fine example as well. I see some people rolling their eyes at this, but I'm not kidding. The whole "emotions can drive you out on a limb" part of her spoke a hell of a lot more to me than any other comic book hero has. I've spent many sleepless nights trying to figure out why my own emotions rule so much of my life, especially when I'm supposed to control them (as a man, it's expected of me).

If you dip into series, movies and books, the list suddenly gets a hell of a lot longer, where bad-ass women are everywhere and men are the stumbling idiots. Castle springs to mind as an obvious example, but you have plenty of it happening in Game of Thrones as well.

-

Liana, the bottom line is that people don't hate Yaya or you for cosplaying, they envy the beauty and "perfect" image of someone that no one is able to live up to. It's far from personal, it's just what it is and that's why it doesn't matter.
I think your reasoning that "she's a person" is a bad one, because it doesn't have anything to do with it.
When you realize that and see that it's just something people do out of hand, you understand that getting worked up over it is way more than they did.

If you think you have it bad because you get some bad attention for being well endowed, try imagine how it's been for those who grew up being bullied for being ugly, fat or awkward, where every minute of school is psychological torture, where people never give you any positive attention and you're the constant butt of all jokes.
The problems of beautiful people might be unique, but they're also far from relatable and come off as whining.
Hopefully that should give you some insight.

Do people hate her? Why? Why hate a cosplayer? I mean, don't get me wrong, it creeps me out when people start to 'worship' people like this, and i think that's something we don't address as much as we should, that particular brand of creepy-as-hell white knight, but i mean, this is just a person doing some awesome cosplay, it's cool, i don't really see how there's any more to it than that.

As for whether or not she's had surgery or whatever, getting worked up about dumb shit like that just strikes me as immature and petty. In the future, the people making these complaints will be the real version of people from deus ex human revolution who blow up augmentation labs because of their shallow and pathetic perception of humanity.

insaninater:

As for whether or not she's had surgery or whatever, getting worked up about dumb shit like that just strikes me as immature and petty. In the future, the people making these complaints will be the real version of people from deus ex human revolution who blow up augmentation labs because of their shallow and pathetic perception of humanity.

Possibly, but I always revert to "Don't they have a rent or car payment to worry about?" Going out into the big wide world and getting sucker punched in the face with a heap of responsibilities knocked the Give A Shit out of a lot of things I'd previously cared about.

I'm starting to get the impression this whole "controversy" is absolutely staged by the feminist lunatics because they have ran out of ideas on how to stay in the spotlight. I'm going to assume that people in general a. have never heard of this person and b. don't give two shits either way but noooo, it MUST be talked about because it's super important and what have you. As seen in the other thread where users generally went "what controversy?" or "there's a controversy over this??", this is another horrible attempt by the internet feminists to appear important

I think the author is looking too far into it when trying to attribute it to a cycle of ideation and devaluation. That might make sense to "role model" kind of figures, which applies to only very few celebrities.

I don't know much about this Yaya Han person, but I looked her up on Google and oh my god she is gorgeous and appears to be completely dedicated to what she does. In my opinion, that's something to be admired.

I think the catch is that not all people see it that way. Some people look at a beautiful, successful, dedicated, or otherwise very gifted or capable person and see something to aspire to. Others may see that and become hostile rage machines, because no one likes the idea of someone else becoming successful without any apparent effort (not that professional cosplay modelers don't make an effort, but the stereotype is generally that they don't).

And for some people, the asshole factor is turned up to 11 when a woman is involved. An irksome but unavoidable feature of internet and gamer culture is that its unmoderated, anonymous nature allows a certain kind of personality to operate freely without ever having anyone seriously call him on his BS.

Smilomaniac:

For me it's no longer a question of whether or not I'm "allowed" to enjoy the sight of a cosplayer, because there's something sexy about the person. Now I avoid the scene almost entirely, because every time I see a slightly exaggerated cleavage or bit too tight suit on the cosplayer, I don't get titillated in any way, instead I get tired and just want to avoid the inevitable political correctness and the feminist hypersensitivity that follows.
That's where you want to point your finger, because those people are the ones who ruin cosplay and especially any slight sexualization about it, which was supposed to be a bit of harmless fun.

There's a layer of validity to it. Obviously the "men rape women with their gaze" whackos are never going to have anything productive to say on this matter, but those who have commented that it's often the case that the most memorable feature of a female character is how pretty she was rather than her role in the game, compared to male characters, or those more like yourself who simply are not interested in sex appeal and want designers and cosplayers to pursue different directions with female characters, those arguments tend to be worth it to at least hear out.

Of course, wannabe feminists aren't alone in their guilt. MRA arguments about sexy cosplay involving female models "exploiting male sexual instincts" abound and are similarly ridiculous to arguments about how society rapes women by making it okay for them to show cleavage in public.

"because women who fit most antihero characteristics usually aren't the protagonist of the story"

You mean like Gamora? Not the watered down version that appeared in the film, but the one depicted throughout the GotG comic run.

OT: The problem with arguments like the ones being presented in this article and throughout the internet is that people hating people they don't know is just stupid. I don't know Justin Beiber and I hate his public persona, but unless I meet him and get to know him on a personal level, how could I possibly hate HIM?

TL;DR be a better person and stop 'hating' people that you don't even know.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here