The Salt Must Flow!

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 NEXT

Hoo boy, that first panel! And that second panel! Then the third panel ooooooohhhhhhhhh!

This may open a can of sandworms.

Edit: Comments have not failed to deliver. Y'all keep on keepin' on.

It is sadly true. If the idiots and/or misogynists who hated her so much that they felt the need to insult and threaten her, had just kept their mouths shut and their hands off their keyboards, most of us wouldn't have even known she or her channel existed.

I still believe that she is quite possibly one of the worst people possible to bring Feminism into gaming, but the irony is that with the abuse she received for her harmless videos, all she has done is made it seem pretty obvious that it was needed.

People can say whetever they like want about that woman, but she'll never be as bad as her bilious revilers.

A KissLike Smile:
I still believe that she is quite possibly one of the worst people possible to bring Feminism into gaming, but the irony is that with the abuse she received for her harmless videos, all she has done is made it seem pretty obvious that it was needed.

Good, frankly; I'm sick of hearing people spouting off about feminism and scapegoating it for society's woes when they don't know its history, waves, ideologies, or even the first thing about it - its effin' jeffin' definition.

I follow her on Twitter and watch her videos and listen to her talk precisely because I don't agree with her opinions. However, I'm an adult white male in his late 20's who leans left socially and right fiscally, so her videos should appeal to me... And yet they don't. The main reason I keep coming back to with her is this- I don't NEED to be told how I feel, I know how I feel about women in gaming (I wish there were more and it legitimately bothers me how conservatively sexist gaming still is, and not mysoginistic just sexist). I watch her videos to get the other side of women in gaming, the far more liberal side than I am. I don't always agree with her- in fact it's rare I do, but I desire and thrive on perspective in my life because I refuse to believe in black-and-white logic.

It's why I watch Fox News and MSNBC, and used to watch The Daily Show but I still get my unbiased news from Rueters or AP. I know how I feel politically, I don't need to be told how to feel. I just desire perspectives.

Yup, this is just the comic strip equivalent of the following Jimquisition video:

From 20-fucking-12, and it's still relevant now more than ever.

Barbas:
People can say whetever they like want about that woman, but she'll never be as bad as her overzealous supporters.

Fixed that for ya.

I've seen a lot of bile and hatred involved in talking about the God-Emperor of Gaming Sexism, but you'd be surprised by how much of it is flung by her own supporters.

There's a reason that I call Gamergate "The Great Gaming Idiocy." No one came out of that affair looking good, not even the anti's, and feces continues to be thrown by both sides to this day, long after Gamergate accomplished pretty much everything it set out to do.

Good, frankly; I'm sick of hearing people spouting off about feminism and scapegoating it for society's woes when they don't know its history, waves, ideologies, or even the first thing about it - its effin' jeffin' definition.

Feminism noun
: the belief that men and women should have equal rights and opportunities

Equality is the key word here. People don't have a problem with feminism in principle, but they have a problem with people who use that term to describe what is basically misandry. I'm not sure if it's a group of profoundly stupid people or trolls who keep spouting hateful things about men on Twitter (probably some combination of both), but the reaction is predictable.

I mean, just head over to Imgur every once in a while, and you'll find at least one post with the tags "anti-feminism circlejerk", "not this shit again" and "yes this shit again" on the front page. It's annoying how often people bring this up, but I can certainly see where they're coming from.

Sarkeesian is the Kardashian of the political world.
They get their media presence from people who hate them, and all they need to do to keep relevant is to provoke.

How can salt flow -- It's grains!!!

I have noticed this apparent paradox as well, people who rail against Sarkeesian from the very beginning seem to have this perspective that most people and world leaders were hanging on her every word and ready to act on her whims. To this day if I want to find someone who agrees with Sarkeesian on everything I'd probably have to go look for them.

I do understand the other side, people who were giving valid criticisms of her work were often being lumped in with the assholes who just wanted to call her names, and that's really frustrating.

IceForce:
From 20-fucking-12, and it's still relevant now more than ever.

I see your 2012, and I'll raise you 1995 and Mr. Paul Anka.

Piorn:
Sarkeesian is the Kardashian of the political world.

A very apt comparison. Someone that's controversial because they're seen as controversial.

Casual Shinji:

Delicious tears. They will choke the streets when our Glorious Overlady rises up and crushes the Y chromosome from existence!

...at least, that's what I hear she's planning.

What truly scares me is how media outlets and other relatively well informed persons are unable (or don't want) to understand that:

1. Internet trolls are a dime a dozen and almost every popular youtube channel about something remotely polemic receives the same amount of hate. Hell, some receive the same amount of hate and are not even polemic. She is not special.

2. Most of her detractors are not uncivil and are very reasonable. There are a lot of women (including feminists) that also thinks what she says is, well, not quite right. She has a lot of detractors because what she says is viewed as wrong, not because she is a woman.

3. Aside from the general premise (women need better representation in videogames), everything she says is at best nonsense and at worst, ill intended.It does no help the fact that the kickstarter is terribly late, with awful production values and questionable ethics (like steeling video footage from other youtubers).

I agree the controversy helped make her, but there is also a matter of timing and her connections with some media. Also the general climate of feminism in the US is rather radical and she got a lot of support from there (and a lot of inherited hate too). The eagerness to be politically correct by some institutions is giving voice to some very crazy people. And in the case of Anita: voice and money.

SlumlordThanatos:
Fixed that for ya.

No, you didn't. A conversation takes more than one person; don't put words in my mouth again.

I've seen a lot of bile and hatred involved in talking about the God-Emperor of Gaming Sexism, but you'd be surprised by how much of it is flung by her own supporters.

I saw a magpie the other day.

Feminism noun
: the belief that men and women should have equal rights and opportunities

Equality is the key word here. People don't have a problem with feminism in principle, but they have a problem with people who use that term to describe what is basically misandry. I'm not sure if it's a group of profoundly stupid people or trolls who keep spouting hateful things about men on Twitter (probably some combination of both), but the reaction is predictable.

I mean, just head over to Imgur every once in a while, and you'll find at least one post with the tags "anti-feminism circlejerk", "not this shit again" and "yes this shit again" on the front page. It's annoying how often people bring this up, but I can certainly see where they're coming from.

Yes, I read the definition; that was indicated in my post. And if they have a problem with a small subset of a group, they should say so, but they can't really be bothered, which is the only problem I'm talking about. You mentioned GamerGate, which I'm not interested in talking about, because life's too short.

Just to pre-empt the allegations that are sure to grace this thread very soon -- allegations along the lines of "But she fabricated all her harassment!", I encourage people to check out one week of her twitter messages:

https://archive.is/h88ut

Pretty much sums up how I've always felt about her. She's basically just another Rush Limbaugh or Ann Coulter: she feeds off the rage sent her way.

I'd say she's like Emperor Palpatine but I'm not wanting to imply she's evil. That said, I can picture her snickering as she reads all the negative feedback she receives, saying "Gooooood....goooooood....let the hate flow through you!"

zinho73:
What truly scares me is how media outlets and other relatively well informed persons are unable (or don't want) to understand that:

1. Internet trolls are a dime a dozen and almost every popular youtube channel about something remotely polemic receives the same amount of hate. Hell, some receive the same amount of hate and are not even polemic. She is not special.

2. Most of her detractors are not uncivil and are very reasonable. There are a lot of women (including feminists) that also thinks what she says is, well, not quite right. She has a lot of detractors because what she says is viewed as wrong, not because she is a woman.

3. Aside from the general premise (women need better representation in videogames), everything she says is at best nonsense and at worst, ill intended.It does no help the fact that the kickstarter is terribly late, with awful production values and questionable ethics (like steeling video footage from other youtubers).

I agree the controversy helped make her, but there is also a matter of timing and her connections with some media. Also the general climate of feminism in the US is rather radical and she got a lot of support from there (and a lot of inherited hate too). The eagerness to be politically correct by some institutions is giving voice to some very crazy people. And in the case of Anita: voice and money.

This. Besides, don't be surprised if people get angry when their (legitimate) complaints are just handwaved away as an "-ism". That's how you eventually get extremists.

zinho73:

well said, and I quite agree.

but this is the internet and being reasonable is frowned upon, so this excellent post will mostly go ignored.

Oooohooooohooooo. Time to comment. Hey buddy, hold my beer!

*cracks fingers*

Who buys spices by the barrel anymore?

Jokes aside, I wonder what I have to do to get my boring, monotone, relatively uncontroversial videos to send me to profit and fame. Did Anita sacrifice a goat? Do I need to eat her still-beating heart?

SlumlordThanatos:

Barbas:
People can say whetever they like want about that woman, but she'll never be as bad as her overzealous supporters.

Fixed that for ya.

Except she doesn't have those. Even here. People even call me a "fanatical supporter" of her when I've made it very clear that I don't like her. People just go so far off the deep end with her that people feel obligated to defend against some of the most spurrious claims I have ever seen in my years on the entire internet. We get people who start angry threads misquoting Anita to mean the exact opposite of what she means. Thats a level of intellectual dishonestly that bothers people who care about honest discussion, regardless of their position.

Edit: Remember when I said that I don't like her and am tired of people saying that I do? Well I made a post about it a couple months back. I think she's wrong most of the time and she engages in unscrupulous behavior, but all aside of the point. She's been compared to the worst people in history on this very site many, many times over. Did she burn down an orphanage? Did she hang a baby with its umbilical cord on the Golden Gate Bridge? Was she a politician who wrote up drafts to put men in concentration camps? No, she made videos on Youtube. I'll let TVTropes take it from here.

I had totally forgotten about her. I she still relevant?

This isn't quite accurate. The reason why she was made so big was because the media ran with a "women is getting harassed" narrative, which was lucrative for both the media involved AND for Sarkeesian.
And this media narrative completely ignored the very pertinent point that ALL internet celebrities and personalities get hate mail and abuse thrown at them. It's just a part of the internet.

The Wooster:
It's your fault.

In my defense.... No, it isn't. I never pay attention to this woman. I don't even know if I usually agree or disagree with her.... Wait a minute.... Is this you're way of being passive aggressive that Nickelback hasn't become more famous?

MarsAtlas:
I wonder what I have to do to get my boring, monotone, relatively uncontroversial videos to send me to profit and fame.

What did she do? Being bad at her chosen profession. Feminist Frequency is boring as hell, and kinda hard to watch actually. And that's atop of only making half the argument most of the time. So what you have is an easy target. And trolls like to attack easy targets for easy "internet points". So trolls will attack her. But, for anyone that knows the full argument, they will fill in the missing information themself. So you have a situation where you're guaranteed to have fighting. And I'll let CPG Grey take the rest: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rE3j_RHkqJc

RJ Dalton:

She just went to the United Nations to discuss online harassment because, you know, United Nations. The organization has that reputation of being kinda useless for tackling major national and international issues for good reason.

Hmm, my projections had "National Elected Position" or "Ambassadorship" slated for 2017. I'm not expecting "God Empress" until 2035 at a minimum.

And to think it all started out because some idiots were mad that a women set up a kickstarter to make youtube videos about videogames and feminism. What a world.

CAPTCHA: always there. Okay captcha, but at least this time the "Anita Sarkeesian thread" wasn't started by her detractors. First time for everything.

RJ Dalton:

Just like Christmas or your birthday, it comes around once a year while you try to forget about it as quickly as possible while hoping no one else brings it up in conversation.

I've got to say. This is probably the most civil thread on the Escapist to ever have Anita's name in it somewhere. Kudos.

I think personally, I would respect any man or woman whom could tame a giant sand worm while riding it in Mad Max armor (or something close to it). No surprise this comic was made since the majority of males flipped their crap over nothing >_> and only ended up making her more popular with the attention.

For the most part I agree with her. Although she did have one vid where it really seemed like she didn't actually play any of the games she talked about. Everything she mentioned was in the games but the way she talked about it was kinda like someone taking a quote out of context.

>salt
>flowing
>desert planet

My god, they're right. And with NASA confirmation... Mars has already fallen

Hmmm...not sure if better or worse than another WGDF comic though.

Casual Shinji:

Through a bloodstream. Doy!

Worgen:
For the most part I agree with her. Although she did have one vid where it really seemed like she didn't actually play any of the games she talked about. Everything she mentioned was in the games but the way she talked about it was kinda like someone taking a quote out of context.

I take it you only watched that one video, because you just described ALL her videos.

full mcintosh didnt give her sufficient notes to parrot I suppose

I want to like her. I really do. But every time she fails to do bare minimum research, she does more harm than good to her own cause.

P.S. Thanks

RJ Dalton:

One sure way to find out is to post a link to her most recent video in the Off-Topic forum and see how many responses it gets. :P

Hell, all you need is a topic with her name in the title and you're pretty much guaranteed at least 100 responses.

For that matter, just watch the comment section for this very comic. I'd imagine it'll break at least 5-10 pages.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here