Why Star Wars Fans Will Love Battlefront

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Here are the reasons Star Wars fans should be excited for Battlefront.

Read Full Article

Maybe I'm cynical, but it just felt like a Call of Duty game with a Star Wars skin.

It was really pretty. I was constantly awestruck. But I can't say I had very much fun.

I'm a huge Star Wars fan, but this wasn't for me.

Yes, yes. It's a very pretty game with solid core gameplay.

The problem is my impression from the beta was that they forgot you need flesh to cover the bones. Sending out a well constructed skeleton is all well and good but this has nothing interesting in it to make me want to play it for more than a month. Hell, one of the selling points you have was that they allow you to play as major characters; that was done better in Battlefront 2!

Taking away features and even entire settings from the previous games whether they were good or not (and if not, try to make them better) and then releasing that as a new game isn't going to make it better than the previous games. A game needs more than a bit of prettying up to be considered a "better" sequel/prequel, ESPECIALLY if it takes a good deal away in the process like this one did.

While it is very pretty, as you'd expect from any modern game, I found myself getting board after just a couple of hours (when I wasn't getting annoyed over the balance issues.)

your title is carefully worded...battlefront fans will be severly disappointed, especially if you compare it to the old games. Star wars fans who never played the old battlefronts? sure, they'll probably be overjoyed by it.

does it have dynamic immersion like you are IN the star wars universe? sure, it does that in spades.

but the gameplay and features? bare bones are bare, not to mention how much they took out from the previous games, especially on the single player side.

no thanks, this will be a 10 dollar purchase down the line, or I'll wait until the inevitable 4 DLC's priced at 24.99 are released and maybe consider it a whole game at that point.

The title is a bit misleading. I think the writer means 'jaded prequel haters will be bombarded with cheap nostalgia and feel like they deserve it.'

Still looks like a cool game though.

Having played the beta, I can say there were things I liked. For example, it looked beautiful. I also liked the ability to create my own "class" by combining different "cards" to make a character with a personal shield, jet pack, thermal detonator, and a blaster of my choice, or some other combination. I actually hope they have a lot more for more variety in that. I did like the game modes they offered, though hope there is a bit more variety, especially on the co-op side.

On the other hand, I really will miss the galactic conquest mode. That was a huge part of the previous games to me. I could kill hours with friends conquering the galaxy together (never play conquest in versus, a single game will take all afternoon).

The melee strike, on top of feeling unnecessary, just felt awkward to use. Nor am I sold on the blasters having to cool off as opposed to having some form of ammo.

The Hoth battle that was mentioned seems terribly unbalanced. I think I played 10 matches of it last night. I never lost as an Imperial and never won as a Rebel. We even managed to bring down one of the AT-ATs in one game and lost almost as soon as we did. I'm not sure if this is a problem with the Rebels not working together, the game mode not being properly explained, or a legitimate balance issue, but I suspect it's a balance issue.

Still, I have ever intention to pick it up. Though, I can't say I was on the fence on this choice.

As a cinematic experience, Battlefront excels. As a gameplay experience, from everything I've seen, it falls flat. The vehicle gameplay is simplistic (and the precision on their weapons ranges from "poor" to "terrible"), the spawn system is horrid (especially on Hoth; it's entirely possible to get an AT-AT or AT-ST into the Rebel spawn area, where they appear in the open, easy to obliterate) and the abilities are unbalanced (especially the personal shield).

So yes, for anybody who wants to honestly feel like they're taking part in an iconic Star Wars battle, Battlefront will be a great experience for a couple hours. But for anyone who wants a challenge, a lasting source of entertainment or even just a fair fight, I don't see it being worth the cost of entry.

Ah, look at this guy trying to convince us that this piece of mediocrity and disappointment is good and that we will love it.

I hope you feel ashamed.

does anyone else feel like the 3rd person isn't right? back in the day, 3rd was the standard, with first being an option, but this feels like an FPS that you can play in third, but probably shouldn't.

On the subject of THIS article:

how many zeroes were at the end of that paycheck? I don't honestly believe that's what happened here, but damn if it doesn't feel like it. In an age where entertainment and journalism are becoming one in the same, I halfway believed that escapist might draw a line somewhere and be a beacon. when I saw that Lizzy article, I thought "damn, real investigative journalism. bravo." but that was apparently a fluke.

game journalism doesn't have to be cynical, but it does have to be less commercial-esque. the only way I would have accepted this article, if I were the EIC, were if was "7 Reasons Star Wars Fans Will Love Battlefront... and 7 Reasons they won't" or if were accompanied by "7 reasons battlefront fans might skip EA's Battlefront

Nonono...Bad escapist. Bad. Marketing speil is one effective way to pay the bills, yes. But integrity goes down faster than funds go up, and ...splitting it into multiple pages? ...not considered a good faith-maintaining design ethic. Shit does not fly, we all know this, its' powers of flight have been disproven time and time again.

I did play the beta. If you're a Battlefield multiplayer fan, you're going to dislike its' baby's-first simplification. If you're a Battlefront fan, you already hate its' simplification. Whereas if you're a star wars fan, well...who knows? Do they like anything after the initial 3 films? The game's developers don't seem to think so.
It is pretty, yes. But they made the mistake of showing me how lacking their maps will be. For a full-priced supposed multiplayer only game, I would hinge my investment on the number of varied maps offered to effectly repeat the same game in. It had shown precious few; what few there are may not even be that large, if the beta is any indication at all. Oh I hear the looming midnight bells of planned DLC. Prepare your wallets for harvest, peasant scum! These articles don't pay for themselves now, do they?

Yea, I don't know why I fell into the hype of this game. The balance issues and over simplification just made it very "meh" for me. It looks and sounds absolutely fucking amazing and that shows, so props to them for that, but I just can't say I'd enjoy it very much. Perhaps I'll still pick it up for the survival mode.

Game really could have benefited from an offline instant action like the old ones. That I would gladly pay full price for.

I'm not surprised to find the Escapist is still hemorrhaging money even after firing all the good people, but this? This is just sad.

On Topic: I'll not touch Battlefront until AFTER they add bots and Galactic Conquest back in. There's just no fucking excuse for this travesty.

Oh, christ, are we still doing the "paid review" thing? That accusation had no legs in the 2000s, and actual instances of that have been and would be significant news.

That said, I'm not sure why some of these are reasons a Star Wars fan would love the game (the buddy system? Really?) and most of them are more like "reasons I really want to like the game because I'm a Star Wars fan and it htis me in the nostalgia, buuuuuuuuuut...."

Dagra Dai MC. VSO.:
It's not even about the money, my time is too valuable for this game.

Having played through the beta, I'm sort of getting that impression myself.

I don't know which movies EA saw, but in all the Star Wars movies I saw, it seemed like everyone, even armored stormtroopers, died in 1 blaster hit.

I saw some footage of this game, and so much blaster fire was around, it almost seemed like one could suffocate from all the oxygen being burnt up in the area, but the characters would shrug off blaster fire and "get better" in a mere 3 seconds. Not realistic, and furthermore, the game looks dumb and simplistic.

Edit: pretty though

Why Battlefront Fans Will Hate The New "Battlefront"

Seriously though, some original trilogy nostalgia wanking isn't going to be enough to justify a full-priced multiplayer-only title that has less than half the features of the original games it is named after.

Ian Cheong:

Here are the reasons Star Wars fans should be excited for Battlefront.

Read Full Article

As both a Star Wars AND Battlefront fan I can solidly say "Nope". Don't give me a neutered experience in comparison to games made for THE FUCKING XBOX and try and tell me it's better. Or as the saying goes, "Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." Single player with friends is a huge thing, conquest mode was the best but nope. We need more MP only games and let's take out space combat too because, well, it's work and it isn't something we can re-skin from Battlefield.

Don't know why more people haven't figured out the reasoning behind this games' lack of features. EA made the deal with Disney to produce Star Wars games in May 2013, so dev work could not have started before then (Or at least, not gotten out of a larval stage for pitches). So the game has had a 2.5 year dev cycle: respectable, but this much graphical fidelity takes a lot of time, and there weren't a bunch of assets they could reuse or modify like with the modern Battlefield series, they had to make this stuff from scratch.

If this game had another year, it could definitely close the gap between its feature list and that of its predecessor. But there's a very big reason it can't have that extra year, and it goes back to the deal with Disney: The Force Awakens comes out in December. Anyone notice how all the new Star Wars stuff is coming out now? New expansion for TOR, new mobile game, and now this, all within a couple of months before the release of the new movie. EA and Disney are expecting a massive resurgence in Star Wars' popularity, and are covering their bases with an entire range of Star Wars game products coming out in sync.

I feel safe in saying that the number of maps and game modes will be close to Battlefront 2 by this time next year through DLC releases. I would also feel safe in saying that other stuff, like not being able to pilot the AT-ATs and lack of space battles, would be possible to add in, but I doubt they'll make it as it would show that they were capable of doing it all along, just not willing to spend the time to make it happen.

This game is such a poster child for corporate marketing driving all levels of development. I'm surprised more people haven't caught on to it. Stay away from this game for at least a year, so you can pick it up in the state it was meant to be released.

Edit:

Something Amyss:
Oh, christ, are we still doing the "paid review" thing? That accusation had no legs in the 2000s, and actual instances of that have been and would be significant news.

Ian Cheong was banned from Reddit for abusing his moderator status to spam links to sites that were paying him to be a "Social Media Consultant." I don't think the Escapist is getting paid for this article, but I do think someone is, and I also think that the Escapist is having problems with checking backgrounds of some contributors. First with using Derek Smart as a source, now taking in Ian Cheong's infomercial. Either the Escapist is truly desperate or they need to step up their game. I see both options as being possible.

I had my doubts but after playing the beta with friends I actually find it to be pretty fun. Walker Assault is a pretty fun mode that my friends and I really enjoyed playing.

Supahewok:

Ian Cheong

I'm well aware of who he is and have a pretty good idea of why he was hired. I'm not sure this article being paid by someone else is the best explanation, either. Especially since it still ostensibly went through an editorial process. It doesn't even seem that far removed from other Escapist content not written by Ian. I get not liking it or not agreeing, but it's common to jump to "paid off" as a go-to anyway.

Also, it's a bit head-scratching to see the overlap between people who praised him previously and now bemoan him.

No Katarn, no buy.

I've been following this for a bit, and like others have said it looks quite pretty. Unfortunately, because it is multiplayer only that pretty much settles it for me, especially at that price. It's a shame that after waiting for so long for a new Battlefront game, I'm not excited at all for it.

Also, a $50 season pass? Yes yes, it is for 4 xpacs and an exclusive emote ( are emotes really something people purchase? ) but still, that's a bit much to ask consumers to fork over for something that doesn't exist. Add in the fact that people who buy the pass get access to the xpacs 2 weeks sooner, I'm guessing they know their consumer base.

I hope people who buy the game enjoy it, and people like me will just move on to other games/franchises.

PS - damnit EA, stop killing my inner gamer; every year I keep buying less and less games because of you ( well, among others)

It still flabbergasts me Star War's incessant retreating to the most well trodden, over layered, stock places characters and events in their franchise. Even if they wanted to be lazy, they've got plenty of things to fall back on that are already written out and ripe for the adapting.

Instead it's the same old 8 or 9 places, 6 or 7 characters, and even as someone who considers themselves a hardcore fan, it's disheartening that I look up and say "Shit, we're back here again?"

Yeah, that's not necessarily a criticism of this game, or this absolute garbage "article," but it still stands.

silver wolf009:
It still flabbergasts me Star War's incessant retreating to the most well trodden, over layered, stock places characters and events in their franchise. Even if they wanted to be lazy, they've got plenty of things to fall back on that are already written out and ripe for the adapting.

Instead it's the same old 8 or 9 places, 6 or 7 characters, and even as someone who considers themselves a hardcore fan, it's disheartening that I look up and say "Shit, we're back here again?"

Yeah, that's not necessarily a criticism of this game, or this absolute garbage "article," but it still stands.

Can't really blame them, that's just catering to their audience unfortunately. It's what 'fans' want, wallowing in cheap nostalgia sells games these days.

Now about the balance issues, isn't that sort of the point of a Beta? I don't see it much of a problem that the Rebels can't win Hoth, surely that is something that can be fixed before the actual release?

Well this is a rather disgusting piece of propaganda. Yeah, I'm a Star Wars fan. I've played this, and it isn't good. Not just as a sequel to Battlefront, which it is abysmal at being. But as a video game. It's a barebones, strangely boring experience. I'm sure there are plenty enjoying it, but it doesn't have near enough for me to consider it worth the price of entry.

Wow, I didn't know The Escapist did marketing for EA.

Everyone and their dog knows that when it comes to features this one is severely lacking compared to Battlefront II released ten years ago.

Played the Beta...

Game ran and looks well on my rig and I didnt have any bugs or technical issues.
The game however is shallow, take away the SW trappings and you have a set of small shallow games that would of been laughed at by reviewers.
The SW vibe is well done initially, you do get all excited for a short while then the shallow nature creeps in... the breaks in immersion when you teleport to a vehicle to control, the clumsy nature of said vehicles, the lack of synergies between players (no healing, supply or repair), no defined roles to assume, grind for XP and points nature of the game...

This all leads to a pretty but shallow set of shallow games and most MP only to boot, being offered for a full price sort of like Evolve and Titanfall, initially fun but the titles hits bottom rather quickly and no communities spring up to prop it up for long.
I got both Titanfall and Evolve, and regret both... I wont be regretting this purchase as it ain't happening.

Oh, and a final note : I did notice how the original article avoided anything gameplay and only harped on about the nostalgia value of the title, which means if it wasn't SW... there wouldn't be much to talk about, right ?

Can you name the truck with four wheel drive, Smells like a steak, and seats thirty five? Canyonero! Canyonero! Well, it goes real slow with the hammer down, It's the country-fried truck endorsed by a clown, Canyonero! Canyonero!

Swing and a miss, Escapist, swing and a miss.

Yeah, I'm not feeling the hype.
And since it's an EA multiplayer only game, there is little guarantee the game will function at launch. Any article promoting this game should have that disclaimer.

Goddammit guys, not hype pieces >_<

I played the game and it compares very unfavourably to Battlefront II. Gone is the free flow of combat and scale of the maps. Aerial vehicles handle like absolute arse, AT-STs have major clipping issues, the card system for power ups is just silly, especially if it's supposed to be a replacement for the class system the previous games had. Hero units are very sticky to control and are hella overpowered when it comes to blaster deflection. Already there are dominant strategies in Walker Assault and people have resorted to camping with the OP as fuck cycle rifle.

It sounds nice and it looks nice, but neither is particularly difficult. DICE have been working with Frostbite for a very long time and it always looked good. The audio is also taken straight from the LucasArts library so there wasn't much work to do there either. All in all, it feels like a gallery or a monument to Star Wars that tries to recreate set pieces in as rigid a manner as possible instead of say, just leaving the tools out for players to do so themselves. It's like that old tie-in problem of having movie cutscenes rendered in game, except done through the mechanics.

I won't be buying it. It's as disappointing as I expected it to be, and this is before we get to EA and Disney's aggressive marketing strategies.

Battlefront really does feel like a piece of merchandise instead of a good game that happens to be Star Wars.

Bat Vader:
I had my doubts but after playing the beta with friends I actually find it to be pretty fun. Walker Assault is a pretty fun mode that my friends and I really enjoyed playing.

Same here, but I got to say, this article has little actual substance. I expect better from this site, I've been here a long time (as you have it would seem) and have been noticing a sad decline in quality, this article is one one those pieces to me.

Wow, you can cut the idealism in that article with a knife. Yeah, idealism. >.>

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or