Review: Street Fighter IV

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Review: Street Fighter IV

Practice your Yoga, put on the red headband, and party like it's 1991: Street Fighter IV is here to kick ass and take names. And we're all out of names.

Read Full Article

ive been searching for a good fighter-game.

good review!

I'm getting this on a pre-order deal from amazon.co.uk

Ultimate Mega Drive (Genesis) Collection + Residential Evil 5 + Street Fight IV for a grand total of 90 (including delivery).

I'm not an old school SF fan but I like fighting in general so was more than happy to have it as part of this great deal.

Looking forward to sitting around with my flatmates and knocking seven shades of shit out of each other (then we'll turn the game on, ha ha ha).

Im getting mine today! I preordered the SE from Gamestop. That means I get the headband to! I loved SFII and it is still a good game. I hope it can hold up for SFIV!

I honestly can't wait for my copy. I really hope Amazon gets it to me for the 20th or earlier. Also got a nice cheap arcade stick too.

Sweet review, echos/confirms what a lot of other reviewers have been saying.

Sounds wonderful, I only wish arcades still existed around here so I could play :)

I used to LOVE fighting games, they were easily my favourite genre. Smashing heads in SF2, beatin' bitches in Tekken 3... but lately they've all bored the ever loving crap at me. They were all too technical (VF5) or far too arcadey (Tekken 5) and so I've been bored off my tits with them after about three days.

Hopefully SF4 is the game that can bring back my love for the fighters, but I guess I'll find out on Friday. Anticipating it even more after this review.

I'm gonna get this game at Toys R us, the deal there is great. If you get this game, you get COD: WaW or some other games for 25$ and a SF4 figurine.

Great review also!

You're going down, Funk. You're going down.

Keane Ng:
You're going down, Funk. You're going down.

I'm not going down. The only one who's going to be doing any going down is YOU, my friend.

... just let me play through Trial mode with Sagat, C.Viper and Sakura first.

i might have to pick this up now

I take it Blanka and Chun li are no longer acceptable ways to win everything?

I picked up my copy of Street Fighter IV from the local store this morning, then headed out to lunch at the Lebanese place next door. As I walked in, a young boy pointed at me excitedly and said, "Daddy! That man has Street Fighter too!" I looked over, and he was already wearing his pre-order headband.

Now I know this game is going to be something special.

stormcaller:

If you're asking "can I mash one button to make it through the Arcade mode?" then the answer's yes.

Robyrt:
I picked up my copy of Street Fighter IV from the local store this morning, then headed out to lunch at the Lebanese place next door. As I walked in, a young boy pointed at me excitedly and said, "Daddy! That man has Street Fighter too!" I looked over, and he was already wearing his pre-order headband.

Stories like this make me believe in the future of this world.

Too bad I have to wait until the end of february until I can buy it. I'm really looking forward to this game.

Making fighters mainstream again, huh? Someone told me Soul Caliber IV was going to do that, but then they later told me it didn't. They also mumbled something about invincible hit-frames and cheap-assedness on the internet.

I'm glad they've scaled back some of the complexity though. I started dropping out of fighters around the time that I had to choose what kind of move set I wanted my guy to have: A, B, S, or a tiny icon of a rabbit. When the game actually started I was assailed by so many combo meters and rage bars that I had an epileptic fit, but I still won the match somehow. That, to me, was not Quality Time Spent.

Maybe SF IV will be different... maybe...

finally, a good fighter!!!

Keane Ng:

stormcaller:

If you're asking "can I mash one button to make it through the Arcade mode?" then the answer's yes.

Robyrt:

Stories like this make me believe in the future of this world.

:) (Tear)

Great Review as always. This game looks fantastic. Is it on disk or XBLA?

Stupid me not buying a stupid 360 and stupidly having to wait for the stupid PC port.

I might buy a 360 just for this, dammit!

notoriouslynx:
I'm gonna get this game at Toys R us, the deal there is great. If you get this game, you get COD: WaW or some other games for 25$ and a SF4 figurine.

Great review also!

*points at your icon* I need to start a new game of Okami. Like, right now.

A really big part of sf2 for me was the damn catching and memorable music and the eye poping colorful stages that were the extreme essences of the characters flavour. I cannot remeber the last time I played a fighting game where it was considered to be homefield advantage for playing in your characters stage against an apponent not due to any technical advantage, but due to the atmosphere. The music and stages are all just bleh now. I will always miss the overly sterotyped kalideoscopic 2 and a half screen widths of yore.

Got the game, been having loads of fun with it.
But then, I'm a fighting game fan...

Haven't been online yet, want to unlock the characters and get some basic combo's in my fingers first. Due to all the multiple button inputs it seems a stick is almost mandatory.

The tutorial is good but sometimes falls short in explaining stuff, omitting that you need to dash forward after a max charge focus attack to connect a crouching MP for example. Timing of moves is more forgiving than it was in previous games but still pretty precise.

Weird sidenote on the video:
Thought you pronounced Arendt differently. But it must have slowly mutated throughout the ages. Waht with Arendt being a German name and arend (or adelaar) meaning eagle in Dutch, which is my native tongue. I figure both came from the same root word in Germanic or Saksen somewhere.

Flying-Emu:
Stupid me not buying a stupid 360 and stupidly having to wait for the stupid PC port.

PC Port for Street Fighter? Man I'd just skip it then try to play it on a PC.

SirSchmoopy:

Flying-Emu:

But Schmoopy, it's a long ways off. They haven't even announced the release date for it yet.

There's also the fact that it's gonna require specs higher than Starcraft or KOTORII, so I'm screwed in that department.

By the by, if you guys have XBL, you're welcome to challenge me :)

i actually have SFII on the SNES still and also on my PC through an emulator.

Vortigar:

Weird sidenote on the video:
Thought you pronounced Arendt differently. But it must have slowly mutated throughout the ages. Waht with Arendt being a German name and arend (or adelaar) meaning eagle in Dutch, which is my native tongue. I figure both came from the same root word in Germanic or Saksen somewhere.

Yes, my pronunciation is definitely the Americanized version, though kudos to you for knowing the true version. :)

i have SF2, SF 2 turbo and SF alpha, this looks awesome and I'll definitely give it a go. btw isn't there another SF on xbox? on the xbl arcade or something?

Nerdfury:

notoriouslynx:

Great review also!

*points at your icon* I need to start a new game of Okami. Like, right now.

It's the greatest game ever. Right?

Wait a minute it's not on PS3? or Wii? /suicide

Stormcaller's interpreter back from when he smashed a brick into his face in the War of the Games thread: Stormcaller's ghost is telling me his birthday is now partially ruined and that Team Fortress 2 better be pretty damned good.

SirSchmoopy:

Flying-Emu:

I'm down for some online versus mode!

I was in and out of the fighting games... I started out watching the uber guys in the arcade (school has/had and arcade), started playing, but then dropped it because of plateau-ing skill issues. Maybe I'll give this one a shot...

stormcaller:

Stormcaller's interpreter back from when he smashed a brick into his face in the War of the Games thread: Stormcaller's ghost is telling me his birthday is now partially ruined and that Team Fortress 2 better be pretty damned good.

It is indeed out on PS3!

Edit: Wrong console. D'oh. Brainfart!

picked it up last night for PS3, man, it looks totally amazing, plays pretty well too, but I suck so hard that it's difficult to know for sure :)

i think i need an arcade stick tho....

CantFaketheFunk:

stormcaller:

It is indeed out on PS3!

Edit: Wrong console. D'oh. Brainfart!

*Stormcaller's interpreter casts Redemption*

See kids, Paladins are useful for something after all!

And on that note: WOOHOO!

Time to also invest in a second controller and some friends now I guess...

Edit: What is this arcade stick and where do I get one?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here